Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Kombat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Really looking forward to this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ive got serious wood for this game after playing it in august

following it pretty closely, and been talking to adam urbano quite a bit about it

its gonna be great

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I haven't played a Mortal Kombat game since MK3. Myself and a friend put a serious amount of hours in MK2 on the SNES years ago. I might end up trying this game out depending on reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I haven't played a Mortal Kombat game since MK3. Myself and a friend put a serious amount of hours in MK2 on the SNES years ago. I might end up trying this game out depending on reviews.

its winning alot of reviews from e3 and pax , from what ive seen its going back to its roots , Ed Boon saying there be over 50 or 60 fatalities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Looks very, very promising after years of awful ****e.

I've watched many of my favourite franchises from my youth be totally and utterly raped in recent years : Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, Zelda, Mario, Metroid and Sonic.

Street Fighter, Soul Calibur and MGS being the only "old school" games that have managed to stay (for the most part) great.

Based on the sheer volume of disappointment in recent years I gotta say it's hard to get my hopes up anymore about new video games these days.

Anywho, roll on 2011, new MK just might be incredible. If not, ****.

• Advertisement

I've watched many of my favourite franchises from my youth be totally and utterly raped in recent years : Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, Zelda, Mario, Metroid and Sonic.

Mario? What did Nintendo do wrong with New Super Mario Bros. Wii or the Galaxy series?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭distraction

cant wait, looks promising .......MORTAL KOMBAT!! :pac:

Mario? What did Nintendo do wrong with New Super Mario Bros. Wii or the Galaxy series?

Actually, you're right there. Galaxy and New Super Mario on the DS are great, haven't played Galaxy 2 or Wii NSM.

I hated Paper Mario, Mario Kart Wii, Luigi's Mansion and Mario Sunshine plus I know there's a few others that bugged me as well.

Still have yet to play a Mario game that's better than Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island or Mario 64 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

My all time favourite gaming franchise. I've been a Kombat junkie since the original. I even enjoyed the recent releases (well... except for MK Vs DCU). Personally I can't wait for this. I've been watching it very closely since it's announcement a few months ago. Keeping up to date on MK forums, and the likes.

This is the one that'll redeem MK's good name.

deathrider wrote: »
    This is the one that'll redeem MK's good name.

As someone who still plays MK 1,2 and Trilogy to this day I really hope you're right.

• Advertisement

I even enjoyed the recent releases (well... except for MK Vs DCU).

Reading that title I just imagine the Mortal Kombat characters performing a load of fatalities on unsuspecting students.

As someone who still plays MK 1,2 and Trilogy to this day I really hope you're right.

he is right

Reading that title I just imagine the Mortal Kombat characters performing a load of fatalities on unsuspecting students.

Now that I would have enjoyed :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Give up the ghost mortal kombat fans. Capcom and SNK's games were always far better than the MK games which after you took out the ridiculous blood effects were mediocre at best, terrible at worst. Now that I've shattered your childhood illusions go play Super Street Fighter 4 :P

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Give up the ghost mortal kombat fans. Capcom and SNK's games were always far better than the MK games which after you took out the ridiculous blood effects were mediocre at best, terrible at worst. Now that I've shattered your childhood illusions go play Super Street Fighter 4 :P

As I've said before- Blasphemy! :p
    Don't get me wrong SSFIV is an amazing game. Clocked up more hours jamming on that than I have on any other game in recent years. But I really think this is going to bring back everything that MK fans love about the old MK games. It would be a bold statement if I claimed this was going to be better than SSFIV... so I'm not going to claim that.

Personally, for me MK was more than just the gameplay. More than just the gore and catch-phrases which attracted many people to it. I love it manly for the storylines. Very dark setting, and some real hate between some of the characters (Sonya Blade, and Kano for example), which escelated even more over the years. Personally, I love the MK universe, and all the different and intertining stories that happen therein.

to be fair, the storylines were always rubbish. and this one beats them all in that respect

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah I'm only trolling but I do believe that the only good MK game was MK2 and even that was very shallow compared to other fighters at the time. I'll wait and see with this one because I am actually impressed by it and it looks like they are ditched the awful dial-a-combos and using the much better juggle combos from MK2. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ah I'm only trolling but I do believe that the only good MK game was MK2 and even that was very shallow compared to other fighters at the time. I'll wait and see with this one because I am actually impressed by it and it looks like they are ditched the awful dial-a-combos and using the much better juggle combos from MK2. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

well mortal kombat was originally suppose to be a quick project, they had very low budget and only ed boon and john Tobias did most the game by themselves. mk was just a game you could play with your friends and have fun without having a learning curve to it . i liked mk vs dc , had a better fighting mechanic than Armageddon did. what makes mortal kombat stand out is its violence, its characters and it has its own feel, There adding a deeper fighting mechanic now for the hardcore aswell having the casual fighter be able to pick it up no problem. depends on what you like at the end of the day .

Helix wrote: »
    to be fair, the storylines were always rubbish. and this one beats them all in that respect

Really have to disagree with you there, dude. So much going on in MK's universe, it's fantastic. The only fighting game that ever had a decent story in my oppinion.

Any story that has to retcon itself by bringing back dead characters with stupid reasons or uses 'it was a time loop so never happened!' is in the realm of ridiculous for me and MK has done it multiple times.

• Advertisement

The good stories haven't been constant, that's for sure. They've had they're ups and downs. I still have no idea why Johnny Cage keeps returning from the grave. However, I loved the idea of Liu Kang returning as a zombie.

Really have to disagree with you there, dude. So much going on in MK's universe, it's fantastic. The only fighting game that ever had a decent story in my oppinion.

that depends what you class as a decent story. personally id class the mk storylines as juvenile crap that feels like it was written by a bunch of 12 year olds

which is precisely why i bloody well loved it so much when i was 12

i still love it, but i can see that the stories are awful

Helix wrote: »
    that depends what you class as a decent story. personally id class the mk storylines as juvenile crap that feels like it was written by a bunch of 12 year olds

which is precisely why i bloody well loved it so much when i was 12

i still love it, but i can see that the stories are awful

I wouldn't go that far. The hit me as comic book style stories. I've alway been a big fan off comics (mostly Marvel, and some 2000AD), so they fit my creteria nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Mortal Kombat 2 was always the best one of the series, they had everything just right before they lost the run of themselves.

The last one I played was Deadly Alliance which I quite liked but the following games afterwards didn't look like much had changed in terms of gameplay, style, everything bar new and sillier fatalities.

Would love to have a crack on this new one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,382 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Although I prefer the Tekken storyline, I do like the MK Universe. It was especially very interesting playing as Shujinko in MK:Deception. Definitely looking forward to this next game, looks like a great return to form

Jax has been announced aswell as the subway arena ,

link below to watch it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STiItiHyL8I

Seen this a few days ago on the MK forums that I usually visit. The Subway's fatality move is fantastic. Jax looks like he plays pretty well. Fast, yet a heavy hitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

This is looking pretty good. Like everyone else here seems to think i also agree that the best MK games where the first few in the series, but i was a kid back then and blood and fatalitys was enough to sell me on a games "awesomeness" Its still cool to this day with the updated graphics and the Xray moves look particularly brutal but i pray they have a deep combo/gameplay system under all this eye candy. Fingers crossed

It's looking like it will be a kinda "build your own combos" affair, like it was back in the early days. A case of sending your opponent skywards and then trying to figure out what moves will keep him there. MKII was an amazing game for juggling your opponent, and this looks like it will be along the same lines.

• Advertisement

they have to have Shang tsung morphin in this , they had problems before doing it with last gen console , surely the power of the ps3 and 360 should be capable , hope ermac , rain , quan chi gets announced

Advertisement