Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Kombat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,051 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd rather have unique characters than lazy palette swaps of characters and characters that look like they've fallen out of the most generic 80's action film/heavy metal album artwork. The MK art and design is horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd rather have unique characters than lazy palette swaps of characters and characters that look like they've fallen out of the most generic 80's action film/heavy metal album artwork. The MK art and design is horrendous.

That was kinda the point for the first game, Johnny Cage is basically Jean Claude Van Damme in Bloodsport, some of the characters I like, the ninja type ones, but some are godawful alright, I mean:

Good:

kenshi-mortal-kombat-deadly-alliance-picture.jpg

BAAAAAD:

cutout.png

Why couldnt they have gone with a completely rebooted design idea, look at thes,e how friggin awesome are they?

mortal_kombat_reboot.jpg

These are big images so gonna link them here, I love Scorpion in this concept: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_IrX2dnfvNL4/SrBZR660wzI/AAAAAAAAALU/ymgqQCmWPUc/s1600/Scorpion_01b.jpg

and Kano: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_IrX2dnfvNL4/SrBWm_nT_xI/AAAAAAAAAK8/gBX1vnD00ME/s1600/Kano_01b%2Bcopy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

In all fairness this thread just looks like snes vs sega mega drive thread.

They are bouth very different games, you should be happy. You actually should be happy, you arguing about them being different.

Not like homefront which is a copy paste. And people are proud of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's not that we're complaining as such - both myself and retr0 have acknowledged they don't aim to be the same thing, and don't have a problem with that. Just saying it isn't for me. Whatever about the gameplay - which I think is a one trick pony, and not a very interesting pony but that's just me - I do think the character design in Mortal Kombat is for the most part sub(zero)standard: a criticism worth noting IMO. As retr0 said, lots of the characters are just colour changes from others, as opposed to the truly varied SF lineup. All of them have character, none simple palette swaps. And IMO even the ones that are 'unique' are just lazy genre types - the ninja, the wrestler, the girl with big breasts etc... It's always been that way with MK - but something I personally am not a fan of.

As said, SF and MK are different beasts, not always worth comparing. But if I had to choose between the two, I know which one I'd pick in a heartbeat.

It's not that we're complaining as such - both myself and retr0 have acknowledged they don't aim to be the same thing, and don't have a problem with that. Just saying it isn't for me. Whatever about the gameplay - which I think is a one trick pony, and not a very interesting pony but that's just me - I do think the character design in Mortal Kombat is for the most part sub(zero)standard: a criticism worth noting IMO. As retr0 said, lots of the characters are just colour changes from others, as opposed to the truly varied SF lineup. All of them have character, none simple palette swaps. And IMO even the ones that are 'unique' are just lazy genre types - the ninja, the wrestler, the girl with big breasts etc... It's always been that way with MK - but something I personally am not a fan of.

As said, SF and MK are different beasts, not always worth comparing. But if I had to choose between the two, I know which one I'd pick in a heartbeat.

Well to be fair the characters in SF2 are all pretty stereoptypical, that guy is from India, he must be thin and do yoga right? Japanese guy? fattie who does sumo. Russian dude, huge guy who wrestles bears. It wasnt exactly groundbreaking stuff. The palette thing, well MK1 was a low budget, small project, it was just using the technology they had to replicate characters, at least they played differently. sure Sub-Zero and Scorpion are just the same sprite with different colours and moves, but how is that any different to Ryu and Ken? to your average player theres no difference between them in SF2, only in the later games when they were given more moves.

• Advertisement

You can pick sf in bargain bin, you will be able to pick up mk soon too. For all average gamers it's the same way of Playing fighting games: smash every single button. So all those sf combos and couter attacks etc are usless. They will want fun, blood, and eat your friends face :).

As for mk style.... Well that's why there are ninjas and ****. It's mk lol. It is going for realistic body structure, so you can't make much I'd difference, only some body parts and clothing can be changed. As when you gotvcartoony style... Well you can draw a masive penis which will fight...

I found sf4 very boring to play if you play vs someone good. I am gamer, but very very average, if not worse, fighting game gamer. I play them only with the lads on BBQ + beer time.

So for average fighter Joe like me mk looks more fun. For those who think that fighting games are esport sf... Easy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

krudler wrote: »
    Well to be fair the characters in SF2 are all pretty stereoptypical, that guy is from India, he must be thin and do yoga right? Japanese guy? fattie who does sumo. Russian dude, huge guy who wrestles bears. It wasnt exactly groundbreaking stuff. The palette thing, well MK1 was a low budget, small project, it was just using the technology they had to replicate characters, at least they played differently. sure Sub-Zero and Scorpion are just the same sprite with different colours and moves, but how is that any different to Ryu and Ken? to your average player theres no difference between them in SF2, only in the later games when they were given more moves.

They aren't exactly the stuff of high art either, granted, but look at the size of SSFIVs line-up and see how each and every one of them has a unique look and playing style without unbalancing the game. Ken and Ryu are far from a simple palette change - maybe once not, but even in SF2 their fighting styles were varied enough and backed up by their backstories and why they were similar style wise. I'm sure even average SF players - of which I'd consider myself one, far far from the hardcore! - can spot how they're distinct.

As said, all down to personal taste, but the colourful cast of SFIV is for me a far more balanced, varied lot than what I've seen from MK. Only test will be to see how MK is embraced by a fighting game community willing to give every game a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Retr0gamer wrote: »

as Krudler said thats was the design

Mk was orginally suppose to be a jean claude fighting game but at the time jean claude had a contract already to make a street fighter game of the movie.
    so ed boon and john tobias decided to make a game like the movie bruce lees enter the dragon , if you look at mk1 you had liu kang like bruce lee fighting in a tournament on a island and a dragon is the symbol

Johnny Cage is basically jean claude van damme

liu kang is bruce lee

sub zero and scorpion are ninjas but there better detailed and different now they dont look the same

Ermac was never suppose to be a fighter he was a error in the sega version and was It was said that by overplaying the Sega version of Mortal Kombat with Scorpion, the screen would eventually flaw and flash an alert message on the screen. The message read "Error Macro" and it would turn Scorpion's yellow outfit red. This was proven to be completely false. Despite repeated references that tried to inform the player that Ermac did not exist, they eventually decided to create him and include him in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. This actually refreshed some of the speculations regarding this rumor.

Raiden and shang tsung were basically characters from the movie big trouble in little china

Personally i love the characters and the design there so BADASS

Big Trouble In Little China needs more love, fcuking awesome movie :D

Big Trouble In Little China needs more love, fcuking awesome movie :D

CANT AGREE MORE :D:D:D

• Advertisement

thats just gold :pac:

Its true as well lol

thats just gold :pac:

its not gold, its legendary lol

Mortal Kombat got nothing on old Jack Burton :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭Lamposts

Cyber Sub Zero for the xbox! :D

Mortal Kombat got nothing on old Jack Burton :cool:

Wang Chi is the real hero of BTILC, Burton bumbles his way through the movie, which is what makes him so cool, John Carpenter and Kurt Russell even joke about this on the dvd commentary (if you have the disc and have never listened to it do, its fcuking hilarious) Sure look at the big finale, Burton is stuck to one of Lo Pan's guards for most of the battle while Wang is having a swordfight in midair :D what a class film, hope nobody ever remakes it, its perfect the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Lamposts wrote: »
    Cyber Sub Zero for the xbox! :D

Cyber Sub-Zero is in both versions. He has a chapter in the story mode that was revealed from the hacked PS3 demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

• Advertisement

WTF kraros doing in mk game?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Pre-ordered my copy today. Gimme all that freebie DLC goodness!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

BTW guys, once this comes out, you'll get most of the best info over in the Fighting Games forum. A lot of the community are going to be trying it out, and I imagine there'll be a tourney at some point soon after launch.

Personally, I don't think I'll be playing it competitively, MvC3 has enough Crazy combos for me, but that could easily change once I play it.

Full roster leaked now plus dlc characters revealed

* Scorpion
    * Liu Kang
    * Kung Lao
    * Sub-Zero
    * Sindel
    * Ermac
    * Reptile
    * Kitana
    * Johnny Cage
    * Jade
    * Mileena
    * Nightwolf
    * Cyrax
    * Noob Saibot
    * Smoke
    * Sektor
    * Sonya
    * Jax
    * Kano
    * Stryker
    * Shang Tsung
    * Baraka
    * Kabal
    * Raiden
    * Sheeva
    * Quan Chi

MK9SELECT-620x.jpg

Cyber Sub Zero is badass

plus dlc characters revealed

Lady in red (Scarlet) : glitch character that happened in MK2 When you picked milenna and kitana it would change a different colour character http://www.qj.net/ps3/news/mortal-kombat-producer-lady-in-red-is-glitch-no-more.html

Kintaro : BASTARD Netherealm for not having him on full roster

Kenshi aswell

http://www.qj.net/ps3/news/mortal-kombat-first-characters-dlc-unveiled.html

mortal-kombat-dlc1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

human smoke is the other dlc character

i dont think so :S , only seen kenshi,kintaro and scarlet dlc

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

WTF kraros doing in mk game?!

Yes he's a f**king badass. He's perfect for Mortal Kombat. Fits right in!

OK PS3 has Kratos, where's the 360 exclusive? Where's Fenix or The Master Chef himself?

jaykhunter wrote: »

OK PS3 has Kratos, where's the 360 exclusive? Where's Fenix or The Master Chef himself?

i like to see justin bieber for 360 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,840 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Human smoke is already on the CC screen, there is no cyborg smoke

• Advertisement

jaykhunter wrote: »

Marcus Fenix would have been a cool xbox character, chainsaw bayonet fatality ftw

Advertisement