Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Kombat Thread

Options

Comments

Demo is excellent. Only an early impression but cage and scorpion both look very strong. Sub zero looks deep but tougher to master.

Cage's win quote makes him sound like Duff Man.

"OH YEAH!!" :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

With the statue, they're not taking orders on it but I've my deposit down with the understanding it will be the kollectors edition

Thanks again Ray. I asked about it but they told me they were only getting the standard edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

It's great, I'm delighted with it.

Roll on April!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Thanks again Ray. I asked about it but they told me they were only getting the standard edition.

I asked about the special editions myself too. They said they diden't know, but would know closer to the day. It's getting a little bit close to the day at this stage.

It's great, I'm delighted with it.

Roll on April!

It's definitely the deepest MK I've played, it has the feel of a game that has been designed with more serious fighter fans in mind.

What's the feeling on the controller and button layout? I like the idea of sticking with the standard ps3 pad but the shoulder button functions might take some getting used to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Nyom @ mileena's tits :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Quick tips * if your milenna press back and triangle , she will then stab your opponent in the back with her dagger. the dagger will remain there for a good while so after you do this do her special move where she jumps and bites the opponent (left , right triangle) shell then jump bite take the dagger stab him and bite again.

Also with Sub Zero

for a good combo pres triangle , Square, Triangle then use ice freeze. this will leave your opponent vulnerable for another combo which you can use either ice slide, uppercut or pres triangle (x3) times*.

So far that's what Ive learnt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Im definitely getting this, best MK since MKII. graphics are good, combos are easy to do but ncely changeable, fatalties are cool (do you have more than one in the full game?) and there'll be a ton of unlockable/dlc stuff. prob get the ps3 one just for Kratos and I prefer the ps3 pad for fighting games, roll on april!

krudler wrote: »
    Im definitely getting this, best MK since MKII. graphics are good, combos are easy to do but ncely changeable, fatalties are cool (do you have more than one in the full game?) and there'll be a ton of unlockable/dlc stuff. prob get the ps3 one just for Kratos and I prefer the ps3 pad for fighting games, roll on april!

there will be 2 fatalities for each character according to ed boon , if your getting it for ps3 add me Boh3MianRhapsdy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

there will be 2 fatalities for each character according to ed boon , if your getting it for ps3 add me Boh3MianRhapsdy

correction, "at least" two per character

also, i was talking to adam urbano a while back and he assured me that mk will be supported for quite some time with new characters and fatalities as dlc. its a long run game as opposed to something that'll get an annual update

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Played the demo. It's not bad at all. Runs at a really solid 60 FPS which is essential and looks great. Feels a lot better than the old 2D MKs as well. I don't see it challenging Capcom and SNK fighters as a serious fighter. I don't really see too much room for advanced tactics, it's fairly basic, and the combos are all dial a combos with no real timing at all or very very lenient timing.

Still it's far far more solid than I expected it to be, far better than any of the lets face it kind of crappy 2D games. It's easy to pick up but I don't see it having much longevity for me.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Played the demo. It's not bad at all. Runs at a really solid 60 FPS which is essential and looks great. Feels a lot better than the old 2D MKs as well. I don't see it challenging Capcom and SNK fighters as a serious fighter. I don't really see too much room for advanced tactics, it's fairly basic, and the combos are all dial a combos with no real timing at all or very very lenient timing.

Still it's far far more solid than I expected it to be, far better than any of the lets face it kind of crappy 2D games. It's easy to pick up but I don't see it having much longevity for me.

I like how they've tweaked the animation when you do you jump kick so you cant immediately do a sweep, that was a an easy and cheap way of doing combos on the old ones, MK2 especially, jump kick, sweep, uppercut, repeat.

Its not going to give something like SF3 Third Strike a run for depth or anything, but its a fun little fighter and if they plan on supporting it as much as they're saying and released new kontent for it could blossom into something great.

Its something that should happen more instead of yearly updates, like the WWE games, instead of releasing one every year thats actually already out of date by the time it gets released, between wrestlers leaving/being hired, peoples appearance and attire changing, etc etc. why not release DLC with new costumes, arenas and characters? people would buy it and the company still makes money, if 3-4 DLC updates a year happened they'd make the same money as a full price game anyway, and it wouldnt cost as much to produce a new game every year surely, and people would be happier to have a current roster than one months out of date.

one more character is going to be revealed on gttv this week.. its sheeva i think though im not excited bout it no kintaro :(

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-406-gt-tv/711807

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Already announced sheeva i believe

Already announced sheeva i believe

figures , how the hell can ya have kahns Colosseum without kintaro not the same :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

figures , how the hell can ya have kahns Colosseum without kintaro not the same :P
    Hmmm it says brand new warrior, that would lead me to believe it's a never before seen warrior. Also with the promised dlc fighters mKintaro will definately get in

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

In short:
    • Ice effect looks stunning.
    • Special moves and fatalities are impressively visceral but boring after you pull off second one.
    • Combo system lacks the depth and versatility of its competitors.
    • 'Mature' in the same way Carmegeddon is 'mature' - not very.
    • Dreadful backgrounds.

Feel no need to ever buy the full game, but I enjoyed the fifteen minutes I spent with the demo. Street Fighter IV ain't going to have to worry.

In short:
    • Special moves and fatalities are impressively visceral but boring after you pull off second one.
    • Dreadful backgrounds.

Feel no need to ever buy the full game, but I enjoyed the fifteen minutes I spent with the demo. Street Fighter IV ain't going to have to worry.

i have to disagree , the backgrounds look stunning , theres plenty of stuff going on like the pitt you random characters fighting to the death and the living forest a guy is being hanged and you guys vomiting and dying on the floor. and speaking about combos its just as in depth as sf , i highly doubt you experimented after 15 minutes with the combos , i spent a few days on the demo and got crazy combo up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

i have to disagree , the backgrounds look stunning , theres plenty of stuff going on like the pitt you random characters fighting to the death and the living forest a guy is being hanged and you guys vomiting and dying on the floor. and speaking about combos its just as in depth as sf , i highly doubt you experimented after 15 minutes with the combos , i spent a few days on the demo and got crazy combo up

All the combos are dial a combos with ridiculously big input windows, even the juggle combos which are preprogramed anyway. It will take someone about an hour to get off all the combos they need and there's no risk reward system where you wonder should you go for a bread and butter combo or a high damage combo with 1-3 frame links that might not connect and leave you open. In this game if you know the button presses you can mash out a combo perfectly everytime, there's no risk of failing it since it's so lenient. The fact that you spent a few days and managed to get crazy combos is telling the combo system lacks any sort of depth.

In short:
    • Dreadful backgrounds.

I gotta go with "huh?" on this, I thought they looked cool, plenty going on, and from what I've seen of the Kahns arena one it looks fantastic. I like how colorful the game is as well, and you're right about the ice effect, its very cool

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    All the combos are dial a combos with ridiculously big input windows, even the juggle combos which are preprogramed anyway. It will take someone about an hour to get off all the combos they need and there's no risk reward system where you wonder should you go for a bread and butter combo or a high damage combo with 1-3 frame links that might not connect and leave you open. In this game if you know the button presses you can mash out a combo perfectly everytime, there's no risk of failing it since it's so lenient. The fact that you spent a few days and managed to get crazy combos is telling the combo system lacks any sort of depth.

Dammit retro why you gotta go my bust my chops ;), im just saying is can have a fantastic combo when you learn the moves. as i said before sf is a great fighter game and very well may have a deeper combat system than mk , but i still enjoy mk more.

Dammit retro why you gotta go my bust my chops ;), im just saying is can have a fantastic combo when you learn the moves. as i said before sf is a great fighter game and very well may have a deeper combat system than mk , but i still enjoy mk more.

MK is definitely easier to learn than SF, anyone can lash out hadokens and that but getting into the really crazy combos and reversals takes time, MK is more pick up and play with some big combos if you put in the effort, but even the small 3-4 hit ones do a decent chunk of damage so god knows what the 10 and 11 hit ones do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

the backgrounds look stunning , theres plenty of stuff going on like the pitt you random characters fighting to the death and the living forest a guy is being hanged and you guys vomiting and dying on the floor. and speaking about combos its just as in depth as sf , i highly doubt you experimented after 15 minutes with the combos , i spent a few days on the demo and got crazy combo up

Thought the backgrounds were very dull, typical 'mature' fantasy sort of stuff. Tree was distracting as opposed to interesting, otherwise felt very empty IMO - perhaps I just prefer the colour and variety provided by the likes of Blazblue or Street Fighter.

Combat wise, it just lacked the flow of SFIV, most certainly not as deep. I very much doubt any of the combos are anywhere near as versatile as the ones in SF are. The ones I tried felt awkward and stilted. There may be minor depth, but I doubt it's the kind that it will see it gain any momentum in the fighting game scene. The characters also lack the character of the Street Fighter crew - Johnny Cage is a much less appealing character than any of the SF ones.

Mortal Kombat has always seemed to me to be the gratuitous, immediate and somewhat obnoxious competitor. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it aims for a different type of experience. But it doesn't come close to reaching the lofty heights set by SFIV. MK demo provides instant, simple gratification. SFIV doesn't, demanding attention and time - I've been playing on and off for a year or two, sometimes with a lot of focus, but still am relatively bad at it but gradually getting better and better. First time I played SFIV I knew I wanted to get better. MK demo didn't give me that motivation at all. They aren't the same sort of fighting game, but this one isn't for me.

krudler wrote: »
    MK is definitely easier to learn than SF, anyone can lash out hadokens and that but getting into the really crazy combos and reversals takes time, MK is more pick up and play with some big combos if you put in the effort, but even the small 3-4 hit ones do a decent chunk of damage so god knows what the 10 and 11 hit ones do.

isnt the why its has a combo breaker now ? . dont get me wrong i love street fighter when i first got it , chun li kicks ass aswell as ibuzki but after a month it didnt tickle my gaming need in me like mk does.

Well I did say it was surprisingly more enjoyable than I expected it to be and it does have that old MK feel but improves on it immensely. However while Street fighter is an excellent pick up and play game with amazing depth which means if you want to take your game further you've basically got infinite amounts of gameplay you can get out of it, MK is good fun to pick up and play but I don't see it having enough depth to make me want to get better at it.

Re the backgrounds looking a bit lacklustre, it's a demo based off an old build of the game. I'd be surprised if the retail release doesn't jazz that up a bit.

Re the competition between MK and SF, they're different games, requiring different levels of skill, practice and dedication to master. I love SF, but it takes a lot of work to keep competitive with, and sometimes a dial-a-combo or two is just what the doctor ordered. it will be nice to have a not so serious option like a good MK to pick up and play occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

You forget lads. These games are ussually for fun.

I play fighting games only vs my friends to have a crack. I allmoust newer play them alone. So what if mk is not as awesome as sf4 with all super combos and mastering of button smashing. For us mortals it's just a game where we can kick our friends asses while having beer.

That's why I love marvel vs capcom. It's Lols, fun, stupid, easy to start easy to play.

I allways sucked at sf4, as people I played vs allways took it too seriuos. Fudged that If mortal kombat is not so seriuos as sf4, I will love it even more.

Well I happen to think that played for a laugh Street Fighter 4 is still the better game and while I'll get sick of MK really really fast if I want to step up my game SF4 offers a lot more. MK9 is fun with a few beers and the lads for a few goes but you'll tire of it and that's basically all it seems to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

The characters also lack the character of the Street Fighter crew - Johnny Cage is a much less appealing character than any of the SF ones.

Can't agree with that! Give me MK's over the top super hero style characters any day over Ken and Ryu!

They are though completely aimed at different markets. I'm not a big big beat-em-up fan and enjoy something I can quickly pick up and play and then leave alone for a few weeks. I alse like blood and guts :D and I even enjoy the crazy "story" of MK.
    I just can't wait for the xbox demo and this may break my rule about waiting for a game to go down in price. Might even break my no collector's edition rule...

Advertisement