Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N69/N22/N70 Tralee Bypass

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Sorry to break the Comedy fringe festival going on here - I don't have a decent comeback! Also, I got tired of groaning at all the other posts above :D:D

Ciarrai - I think there is no lighting because it's classified as a rural based national road. (I guess it doesn't really intersect with built up urban area). Most other national roads or motorways that bypass towns also do not have lighting (Castleisland, Rathkeale, Nenagh etc). Saying that, why does Fat Mile (also practically no built up area except at either ends) have lighting? it does seem like an inconsistent policy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Used the bypass yesterday coming from Killarney to the town centre and it saved between 5 and 10mins instead of going in by the Earl of Desmond Hotel and in through Manor west I went straight in and it was a far less stressful drive. Coming out afterwards I came down through the BullRing (Mitchel's Road) and out onto the bypass again and it was very handy, the council need to upgrade Mitchels Road to a proper route and get rid of those godawful speed ramps there and make it properly usable as road.

Last year I was doing a Fas course in Monavalley and it was taking me 1hr 10mins to commute to Tralee and upto 1 and a half hours to get home out of the town in the evening, I subsequently dropped out of the course due to the stress of commuting the distance.

The traffic disruption caused by the construction of the bypass was very bad and the contractors doing it were a disgrace in how they treated the roads, never cleaning them and basically left the whole thing like a building site for the guts of two years. I was having to clean my car twice a week to prevent it getting caked in limestone and gutter. It is good now but a bit like the Luas in Dublin it caused more than its fair share of disruption during construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Stinicker wrote: »
    ... and get rid of those godawful speed ramps there and make it properly usable as road.

The original speedramps on this road were put in by members of the republican community over 20 years ago. I think you might have a fight on your hands if you try to get rid of them.

In fairness the area is a residential area and was never designed for through traffic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

The original speedramps on this road were put in by members of the republican community over 20 years ago. I think you might have a fight on your hands if you try to get rid of them.

In fairness the area is a residential area and was never designed for through traffic.

yeah I can understand why there are speed ramps, it is a residential area, it would be far too dangerous to have it open to traffic going at speed. Although I drove through there one time to have a guy overtake me and speed up the road!? insane!
    They have put in speed ramps in the road paralell to Mitchel's road, that comes out at the library. They are much wider ramps than the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

Is this excellent thread facing extinction now the bypass has opened ?Found it the most interesting and well informed thread on Boards Thanks to all of you who contributed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Is this excellent thread facing extinction now the bypass has opened ?Found it the most interesting and well informed thread on Boards Thanks to all of you who contributed

I have more photos in stock, iv just been very busy this last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    especially if there were reports of stones being thrown from the overpass. If this is happening, then you won't be able to see anyone up there until too late!
    I hadn't heard of that.
    I hope the authorities nip it in the bud and make an example of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

I'm just back in from a spin around town and to Ballyseedy Wood and although some people will not want to hear it I have to admit that I have one major problem with the bypass.
    Before the new road was built there were two easy and safe routes to Ballyseedy, the better of the two being the old road from Mile Height past Ballygarry House towards the wood. By simply leaving this "obsolete" road untouched after the opening of the then N21 a fantastic walk- and cycleway to one of Kerry's main amenities was created. I used to cycle the road a lot and I am sure that Ballygarry House had a lot of extra footfall on nice afternoons with people walking/cycling between Tralee and Ballyseedy.
    This road is now gone. Not only do you have to cross 4 lanes of fast moving traffic at the new roundabout, but since the old road has been blocked off completely you don't even get to that point without cycling for 2km on a busy road, because there is no cyclepath. You also have to go around two major roundabouts. Kids or even many elderly people can't or don't want to do that on a bike and walking that route is now completely out of the question.

273505.jpg

To get to the southern entrance is now even more dangerous, because you have to cycle on the actual bypass (not just cross it) and where you end up coming round the roundabout at the exit towards Killarney is a road that has no cyclepath, no foothpath and not even a hard shoulder, so using that way would force cyclists right into moving traffic.
    I may have a one sided opinion on the whole bypass matter because I don't commute and use the bike as much as possible, but the loss of safe access to Ballyseedy Wood completely spoils it for me. There would have been ways to prevent that, the obvious solution being a set of lights or even a footbridge at the new roundabout next to Ballygarry House as a way to keep the old path open. I'm not happy right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hoof Hearted

I wish the bypass was there when I took a toolmaker Fas course at Anco, but there was so few cars then I even complained when I had to park more than 3 parking spaces away from Dunnes when it used be in the Mall. I suppose back then the fastest way from one end of town to the other end was straight through the town. Nowadays the town has more traffic at 4am at night then it did at 4pm back in 1980. Anyway the toolmaker course at Anco served me well. (and no we don't make hammers .......... unless we want to)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I dunno is it just me, but it seems that the bypass road really holds the water on the surface in the rain. As in there is a lot of standing water everywhere, other roads seem to have much better run off. You wouldn't want to have very worn tyres.

• Advertisement

I dunno is it just me, but it seems that the bypass road really holds the water on the surface in the rain. As in there is a lot of standing water everywhere, other roads seem to have much better run off. You wouldn't want to have very worn tyres.

I suppose if you have a surface that claims to last for 40 years there must be a downside.

ainiseoir wrote: »
    ..a surface that claims to last for 40 years ..
    Can you link to this remarkable claim?

Can you link to this remarkable claim?

I heard it quoted by a "talking head", probably on the day of the opening.
    I thought it a remarkable claim, but what do I know?
    As for a link, I think it might have been Paschal Sheehy squeezing out a bit of airtime, but I would reckon that the NRA or the Roads section of KCC would have the specifications to hand.
    Either way I don't expect to be around to test it 40 years from now!

A few other facts on the road..

The road surface is designed to last 40 years.

So it must be true then! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I heard it quoted by a "talking head", probably on the day of the opening.
    I thought it a remarkable claim, but what do I know?
    As for a link, I think it might have been Paschal Sheehy squeezing out a bit of airtime, but I would reckon that the NRA or the Roads section of KCC would have the specifications to hand.
    Either way I don't expect to be around to test it 40 years from now!

The council hold a retainer from the final payment for seven years. So I would imagine that is what the surface is guaranteed for!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭alanucc

The council hold a retainer from the final payment for seven years. So I would imagine that is what the surface is guaranteed for!

The maintenance period is usually 1 year after substantial completion, after which the retention is released. I would be suprised if anyone on the designer's/contractor's side has "guaranteed" the road surface beyond the maintenance period - they could never take on such a big risk.

alanucc wrote: »
    The maintenance period is usually 1 year after substantial completion, after which the retention is released. I would be suprised if anyone on the designer's/contractor's side has "guaranteed" the road surface beyond the maintenance period - they could never take on such a big risk.

I thought that's what it said in the local paper this week. I might have read it wrong.

The money BAM have held back from paying there subcontractors will cover any such losses I would imagine.

Once again its the small subbie that is left begging for payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

As you leave Tralee on the old N69 at Laharan posted limit is 100 Km.
    As you leave the new roundabout at Leath towards Tralee on the same road the posted limit is 80 Km.
    Quicker uphill than down - strange :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Drove the N22 section from the Farranfore direction to the bypass for the first time today. Lashing rain but still could see it's a lovely wide road - a pleasure to drive - and very nearly empty at 11.30 today.

lottpaul wrote: »
    Drove the N22 section from the Farranfore direction to the bypass for the first time today. Lashing rain but still could see it's a lovely wide road - a pleasure to drive - and very nearly empty at 11.30 today.

Tho road is holding a lot of water, it is very difficult to drive on when it is raining. Id imagine there are going to be a lot of accidents due to aquaplaning over the coming months!

• Advertisement

http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/part8-traleenorthernreliefroad/

Sort of related to the bypass but I stumbled across this (link above) on the Kerry Co Co website this evening. The council have given notice for construction of a new 1.2km road from the new Forge Cross roundabout over to the Abbeydorney/Ballyduff road where it will meet a newly constructed roundabout. Public consultation from now until December.

I'm not sure if the significance of them publishing this now means they have funding to proceed with construction and therefore a near future completion date. If so, the recently opened bypass would be of far more benefit to a far larger portion of the town's northern and western residents (along with Abbeydorney/Ballyduff/Ballyheigue/Fenit bound traffic) as this new relief road will tie in neatly with the Forge Cross to Bypass access route.

Right now for those residents, there is little time difference from using the existing route via Rathass, a complicated one way only route via Clash Ind Est or an up and down route via the KTP exit. I'm not counting the existing extremely narrow road currently connecting Forge Cross and Listellick as a current option as while people are now using it as a short cut, it is so offputting by it's narrowness and simply not able for busy two way traffic.

Delighted to see movement on this as I thought all future road projects for Tralee were years away. Anyone have any more specifics on target dates etc?

ongarboy wrote: »
    http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/part8-traleenorthernreliefroad/

Sort of related to the bypass but I stumbled across this (link above) on the Kerry Co Co website this evening. The council have given notice for construction of a new 1.2km road from the new Forge Cross roundabout over to the Abbeydorney/Ballyduff road where it will meet a newly constructed roundabout. Public consultation from now until December.

I'm not sure if the significance of them publishing this now means they have funding to proceed with construction and therefore a near future completion date. If so, the recently opened bypass would be of far more benefit to a far larger portion of the town's northern and western residents (along with Abbeydorney/Ballyduff/Ballyheigue/Fenit bound traffic) as this new relief road will tie in neatly with the Forge Cross to Bypass access route.

Right now for those residents, there is little time difference from using the existing route via Rathass, a complicated one way only route via Clash Ind Est or an up and down route via the KTP exit. I'm not counting the existing extremely narrow road currently connecting Forge Cross and Listellick as a current option as while people are now using it as a short cut, it is so offputting by it's narrowness and simply not able for busy two way traffic.

Delighted to see movement on this as I thought all future road projects for Tralee were years away. Anyone have any more specifics on target dates etc?

Logical, I suppose.
    At least it will lift to some extent the nowhere to nowhere aspect of some of the Bypass. Leith to Lidl comes to mind.
    it will be a pity to see a bothairin with such pleasant views from another era disappear but thats the way of it.
    I find it dangerous to walk it, never mind risking a car falling into some of those deep drains.
    The question is, having spent a king's ransom on the Bypass, when, if ever there will be funds for such a project.

Have BAM paid the contractors that they owed money for work done on the bypass yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

The question is, having spent a king's ransom on the Bypass, when, if ever there will be funds for such a project.

The bypass was funded by the NRA, this road will be funded by Kerry County Council

dmeehan wrote: »
    The bypass was funded by the NRA, this road will be funded by Kerry County Council

No great cause for confidence there!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

This is a very small cheap scheme, similar to the recently completed phase one of the Dingle relief road and the currently under-construction phase one of the Kenmare relief road. As already pointed out, like these other schemes it will be funded from the council's own resources and we shouldn't have to wait excessively long for it to proceed to construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Radio5

I know its been said many times before but the lack of signage for Killarney as you approach from the Listowel side of town is daft.

The reference to All Other Routes approaching every roundabout other than the correct exiting roundabout for Killarney (where Killarney direction is clearly signposted) is meant to encompass All Other Routes which includes Killarney. I guess the logic is to prevent having to repeat the names of every main destination (Cork, Listowel, Castleisland, Killorglin, Dingle, Limerick, Kerry Airport, Tralee) at every roundabout when "All Other Routes" encompasses them all.

However, this seems to confuse some motorists (my father included as I tried to explain All Other Routes to him). I have a sneaking suspicion this confuses locals more than tourists who will strictly (and correctly) follow All Other Routes if their destination isn't listed (and therefore they will correctly exit only at the correct roundabout where their destination is clearly listed)

With all the money BAM saved by not paying subbies, they could have afforded better signage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

Radio5 wrote: »
    I know its been said many times before but the lack of signage for Killarney as you approach from the Listowel side of town is daft.
    Likewise the sinage for Letterkenny is poor - I drove up & down that bypass & not a mention of it - a pure disgrace. :D

Advertisement