Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N69/N22/N70 Tralee Bypass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

adam88 wrote: »
    Two young ones on the embankment near the IT yesterday throwing stones at passing cars from a great height

The one without sin will have cast the first stone. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

phormium wrote: »
    I went across town yesterday over by Railway Station heading for out near Manor around 11 o'clock in morning and there was loads of traffic as usual, took a good while to get through roundabout at Austin Stacks and was very slow out as far as roundabout at Rocky Mountain. Not noticeably difference, I actually went home on the bypass even though it is longer as I was sick of the stop start traffic.

I have started using the bypass from the Forge cross roundabout (I live up that part of Oakpark) to go to Manor west. I have found it a lot better. I haven't timed it, nor do I know the distance, but I feel like I am getting there faster as it was always a case of hitting traffic from clash roundabout (or sometimes even from the level crossing) and not getting there quite as fast as I'd like to! Its a great road! It will be a good road for us when going to or coming in from Castleisland/Killarney as we won't need to go near Manor/Rathass area anymore to get home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

So now that the bypass has been open a few weeks now where do people feel the time savings are been made and where has traffic got considerably quieter. Or is there any areas that have got busier due to several roads been slightly reconfigured or for that matter any other oddities due to the opening of this new road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Strangely enough I think John Joe Sheey road seems to be flowing more freely up at the roundabout, but maybe its just my imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Split Link

Racecourse Road has become almost deserted, I think! I haven't seen any hold-ups at the Oakpark Road or Clash Road ends for some time now. The main Oakpark Road also seems to be much less trafficked, even with the schools now re-opened.

On the other hand I have heard that the link road from Forge Cross to the by-pass has become very busy with traffic from the Fenit/Ardfert/Abbeydorney areas using the narrow road from Listellick to Forge Cross as a "rat run" to access the link road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Split Link wrote: »
    Racecourse Road has become almost deserted, I think! I haven't seen any hold-ups at the Oakpark Road or Clash Road ends for some time now. The main Oakpark Road also seems to be much less trafficked, even with the schools now re-opened.

On the other hand I have heard that the link road from Forge Cross to the by-pass has become very busy with traffic from the Fenit/Ardfert/Abbeydorney areas using the narrow road from Listellick to Forge Cross as a "rat run" to access the link road.

Yes have noticed the 'rat run' from Listellick to Forge Cross is extra busy. Gosh it is extremely narrow in places, particularly the small bridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I left the town centre last Saturday around 4.30pm to go to manor. Stopped at the lights opposite the Station and never again stopped, not even for a second until I pulled my car into manor - probably around 40kph all the way out. I couldn't believe the lack of traffic and how well it was flowing.

The narrow road from Listellick has at least been re-surfaced. But I too have noticed more people using it in recent weeks.

The by-pass is a fantastic job, its worth probably wont be fully seen until the dark, wet November and December mornings and evenings at school time.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MacLondon

Has anyone seen any OFFICIAL map since the bypass opened, showing the realigned national roads?

I feel OpenStreetMap/Google Maps are somewhat based on conjecture and are certainly not official.

On the Kerry County Council website, under Visitor misInformation, the maps (powered by Google) aren't even up-to-date Google maps, and the bypass isn't even mapped!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

MacLondon wrote: »
    Has anyone seen any OFFICIAL map since the bypass opened, showing the realigned national roads?

I feel OpenStreetMap/Google Maps are somewhat based on conjecture and are certainly not official.

One of the OSM contributors has the same username as you. Is your work conjecture? Certainly mine has been all from a distance, based on input from locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MacLondon

mackerski wrote: »
    One of the OSM contributors has the same username as you. Is your work conjecture? Certainly mine has been all from a distance, based on input from locals.
    Yes, I've been contributing on OSM, often based on what I read on this thread. I'm sure most information on here is accurate but I'm staggered at the apparent lack of official information about the bypass.

My main curiosity is regarding the opinion on here that the N86 now starts at the roundabout at the Lidl end of the bypass. Any official description I read when the bypass opened, however, suggested that the N86 isn't linked to by the bypass.

I'd have thought that an information advert with even a simple official map in the local papers would have been appropriate when the bypass opened.

What I find really odd is that this story in a national newspaper, mentioning a phantom Dingle-Caherciveen ferry route on Google Maps, didn't prompt someone official to use "Report a problem" on Google Maps, which is widely used on various websites, e.g. for visitor information maps on the Kerry County Council website.

I waited 2 weeks just to see if anyone would report the ferry route, before eventually spending an exhausting :rolleyes: one minute reporting it with a link to the article. Within days I'd got an email back to tell me I was right and that the ferry route had been removed from the map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

First time taking it today, knocked a good 20 minutes off my journey going up to ITT North Campus. Probably could cut off more if I go via Famer's Bridge. Brilliant not having to endure that god awful traffic every morning

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

20 minutes is a fantastic reduction on any journey..

On another note quite a big delay is forming outside the North campus each morning by cars coming up off the bypass and trying to turn right into the college, cars heading straight on cannot pass and the tail back has gone back as far as the knockawaddra road (road heading into the technology park)

Probably need some changes to that area so cars heading straight can slip by.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

pickled101 wrote: »
    20 minutes is a fantastic reduction on any journey..

On another note quite a big delay is forming outside the North campus each morning by cars coming up off the bypass and trying to turn right into the college, cars heading straight on cannot pass and the tail back has gone back as far as the knockawaddra road (road heading into the technology park)

Probably need some changes to that area so cars heading straight can slip by.

Yeah, I went up that way yesterday and there were fairly long tail backs, went up via the technology park today and there were no tailbacks. Used Farmer's Bridge today instead of going up via the roundabout at Galley's. Definitly shaved another few minutes off the journey.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Its very dark on the bypass at night, why is there no lighting? its not until the roundabouts that there is any light.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Its very dark on the bypass at night, why is there no lighting? its not until the roundabouts that there is any light.

Fair point Ciarrai,

It is extremely dark on the bypass, the situation will be worse when the clocks go back at end of October.

Spooky!

Fair point Ciarrai,

It is extremely dark on the bypass, the situation will be worse when the clocks go back at end of October.

Spooky!

especially if there were reports of stones being thrown from the overpass. If this is happening, then you won't be able to see anyone up there until too late!

especially if there were reports of stones being thrown from the overpass. If this is happening, then you won't be able to see anyone up there until too late!

So if you see them you can do something about the approaching stone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Wind down the window & catch it

A good kick up the backside is what the little f...ers need!

Oh no, we can't do that to them, they are from broken homes, disadvantaged backgrounds, therefore they are entitled to throw stones at Ciarrai's car, Mrs. Dempsey's car and Monsieur Juneau's voiture!

As always until someone is maimed or worse nothing will be done about the situation.

Please don't complain to the parents of these little scumbags, because you may need to worry about more than your car!:mad:

slow down maybe?!

not sure why you need to be smart about it? at least if you can see them up there causing trouble, a person can call the Gardai!

• Advertisement

Tres joli , Monsieur Juneau!:D

With your teeth :D

slow down maybe?!

not sure why you need to be smart about it? at least if you can see them up there causing trouble, a person can call the Gardai!

I'm laughing at my fears - among other things I ride a motorbike - if they hit me I'd be smart(ing) or possibly worse & not able to make that call. :(
    Lighten up there a little - we'll all be dead long enough. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

My cars have these amazing things on the front of them that cast light ahead of me along the road, its a great help along dark roads and at night!:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

My cars have these amazing things on the front of them that cast light ahead of me along the road, its a great help along dark roads and at night!:P

What a bright idea! :)

Like I said - lighten up. :D

Enlightening comments indeed!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Split Link

Illuminating even!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Mods take a DIM view of chit chat in this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

Aw michael999999

LIGHTEN UP :-)

• Advertisement

Mods take a DIM view .........

Confucius say, better light candle than curse dark

Advertisement