Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N69/N22/N70 Tralee Bypass

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Likewise the sinage for Letterkenny is poor - I drove up & down that bypass & not a mention of it - a pure disgrace. :D

Letterkenny????? Gosh who would want to go there ????????;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

Letterkenny????? Gosh who would want to go there ????????;)

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Radio5

Likewise the sinage for Letterkenny is poor - I drove up & down that bypass & not a mention of it - a pure disgrace. :D

Hilarious.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Great Thread!!!

I see the pedestrian/cycle underpass in Ballybeggan was badly flooded recently there seem to be a few contractors doing remedy works there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

TomTom Satnav finally has the bypass on it's map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

ainiseoir wrote: »
    TomTom Satnav finally has the bypass on it's map.

Could you not find it? :confused:

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Could you not find it? :confused:

1. I submitted it as a point of information.
    2. I'm sure the bypass is mainly for visitors and commercial drivers who would prefer to avoid the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

ainiseoir wrote: »
    1. I submitted it as a point of information.
    2. I'm sure the bypass is mainly for visitors and commercial drivers who would prefer to avoid the town.

I was joking.

Funnily enough on point 2, I've heard that truck drivers are avoiding the bypass due to the steepness of the section up to leith. The old way is more economical. Dunno how true that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I was joking.

Funnily enough on point 2, I've heard that truck drivers are avoiding the bypass due to the steepness of the section up to leith. The old way is more economical. Dunno how true that is.

Hardly. It's not that massive a pull up there. Plus town driving is always less economical, especially if you are driving a truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

The road flooded sign that has been on a section of the bypass over the last few weeks reminds me of the joke about how drivers from other countries react to a road flooded sign.

The driver slows down :-)

While the typical Irish driver speeds up as he knows the sign has been up for weeks and was just never taken away.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

pickled101 wrote: »
    The road flooded sign that has been on a section of the bypass over the last few weeks reminds me of the joke about how drivers from other countries react to a road flooded sign.

The driver slows down :-)

While the typical Irish driver speeds up as he knows the sign has been up for weeks and was just never taken away.

What a bloody joke, road is only open a few months and its flooded already. Were the same engineers used on the bypass that done priory hall?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Where is the road flooded sign?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Where is the road flooded sign?

Under the water most likely now :).

As I've said before there's a hell of a lot of standing water on every part of the road in heavy rain. It seems excessive, but I'm not an engineer so I can't say why it is so.
    Some parts have rivers of water flowing across the entire road, particularly so in the quarry, hence the road flooded signs.
    You wouldn't want to have bad tyres.

Thanks, I travel the southern section twice a day and have never seen the flooding warning sign. I have seen the sheets of rain on the surface but not the signs. Can any one tell me where they are? Are they yellow (permanent signs) or orange (roadworks) road signs?

Thanks, I travel the southern section twice a day and have never seen the flooding warning sign. I have seen the sheets of rain on the surface but not the signs. Can any one tell me where they are? Are they yellow (permanent signs) or orange (roadworks) road signs?

Either side of the Quarry interior. They have been removed in recent days though.

150.000 thread views. Nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭esprimo

Don't know if it has been mentioned already but there is a very dangerous spot I think on this road. The junction at which the old Tralee/Killarney road meets the new bypass road. Now this has happened to me a few times, but as you are on the new road coming say from the Tralee side approaching the junction on the way to Killarney, some idiots who are waiting at the stop sign there waiting to turn left onto the main road just pop out at the last second causing me to slam on the brakes to slow down. It goes without saying that drivers going 100 kmph on the main road have the right of way. But some people particularly early in the morning seemingly just get fed up of waiting,turn onto the road right in front of you,not realizing the cars approaching on the road are doing anything up to 100kmph meaning you catch up to them in a matter of seconds while they're trying to build up speed. I think the road should be completely clear and then drive on the slow lane there if people are turning at that spot. An accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

It is a poorly designed junction - the R turn for Knocknagoshel the Tralee side of Abbeyfeale being another example of lousy design.
    I had wondered why an acceleration lane had not been provided - like Esprimo I have seen impatience that will result in an accident; predicitable impatience that a little more thought in design would have negated.

esprimo wrote: »
    .. there is a very dangerous spot I think on this road. The junction at which the old Tralee/Killarney road meets the new bypass road. ... as you are on the new road coming say from the Tralee side approaching the junction on the way to Killarney, some idiots who are waiting at the stop sign there waiting to turn left onto the main road just pop out at the last second causing me to slam on the brakes.

Yes, this has happened me a few times. The car pops out of the junction then proceeds in the direction of Killarney going at 50km/h. I dont think its possible to design the junction for this type of stupidity!

• Advertisement

The term I have heard used to describe this species is "Lurcher".
    As in the original canine version, the amount of grey matter between the ears could be a cause for concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

A couple of times over xmas, I had to use the Killarney road and drove all the way down to the new bypass Killarney exit from the Ballygarry side but couldn't help wondering would I have been quicker using the old road to Ballycarty? It seems you are putting in a lot of additional milage/time using the new designated route.

Have any regular drivers done both routes multiple times and able to prove which is quicker?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

ongarboy wrote: »
    A couple of times over xmas, I had to use the Killarney road and drove all the way down to the new bypass Killarney exit from the Ballygarry side but couldn't help wondering would I have been quicker using the old road to Ballycarty? Itseems you are putting in a lot of additional milage/time using the new designated route.

Have any regular drivers done both routes multiple times and able to prove which is quicker?

I always use the old Road. Way quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

numorouno wrote: »
    I always use the old Road. Way quicker

I use the old road out by ballyseede. I never measured it but I think I was told once the old way is 2.5 k shorter. That's from the ballygarry roundabout to where the old junction is for killarney

Ill usually use the old road going to Killarney and the new one coming back in.

It all depends on what part of Tralee you are travelling to/from. For instance if you are coming from Blennerville or Castlecountess or Ballymullin it makes sense to go on the new road.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Morebypasses

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but is it possible in time that a road linking manor shopping area to the new roundabout on the bypass close to the mitchels complex could be constructed?? (Assuming Boyles were willing to pay for it I suppose) Think it would make a huge difference to traffic in the general manor/ballymullen area and the shopping area itself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but is it possible in time that a road linking manor shopping area to the new roundabout on the bypass close to the mitchels complex could be constructed?? (Assuming Boyles were willing to pay for it I suppose) Think it would make a huge difference to traffic in the general manor/ballymullen area and the shopping area itself.

Its possible.

But is it really needed?

And why would Boyles pay for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭555guy

If Manor is ever expanding in the future it could be a runner alright, as manor west comes quite close to the roundabout joining the N22 & N70 ... not sure if Boyles own the land in between or not though, but I suppose thats a minor issue :) (see google map link below)

Manor West Map on N70 & N22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hoof Hearted

N21 vs N22: Shorter distance versus time? One has to be careful saying the N21 is quicker. Often what is quicker during off-peak times is not quickest time-wise during peak times. If roads were designed for the shortest commute times in off-peak times, Tralee wouldn't need a bypass at all. Unless one is measuring the elapsed time, our perception of time can falsely indicate a particular route takes less time. For example, I can get from the N22 at Ballycarty to Manor in less than 3 minutes which could make me feel like that the N21 is the fastest. But it might take 20 minutes to get to Caherslee (after getting past Manor, Rathass, Boherbee, etc.) OTOH, the new N22 going a longer distance might get you to Caherslee in 15 minutes or less. There is something about passing hundreds of buildings that are close to the side of the road that makes one feel they are making more progress. Imaging going 100 kph going down Castle St., it would feel fast, but no faster than 100 kph out on the highways.

Advertisement