Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N69/N22/N70 Tralee Bypass

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

ongarboy wrote: »
    I wonder how much benefit the Tralee Bypass is providing these days. The few times I've used it, it seems very quiet - and this would be during daytime hours. Irrespective of the economic downturn, are traffic projections being met?

I don't know about traffic projections being met, but there is certainly a lot less traffic in town since it opened (anecdotal evidence would suggest :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭mackerski

I think as the crow flies, they are both the same distance mile wise

As the crow flies, there's only one distance...

mackerski wrote: »
    As the crow flies, there's only one distance...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

Would"nt it be great if KCC or NRA {dont know who"s responsible}could cut the grass on the bypass The grass is about 2 feet tall all along bypass and the roundabouts look awful Its June 1st so its about time they got their act together Does nothing for the image of the town and environs

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Split Link

Would"nt it be great if KCC or NRA {dont know who"s responsible}could cut the grass on the bypass The grass is about 2 feet tall all along bypass and the roundabouts look awful Its June 1st so its about time they got their act together Does nothing for the image of the town and environs

Couldn't agree more! The contrast with the maintenance of the Killarney by-pass and its associated roundabouts is quite shocking! Maybe this will change with the abolition of Killarney Town Council - for better or worse remains to be seen!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

There were two young girls blonde hair 9-12 years old on the overpass firing stones at passing cars on Friday, about 3.30- 4 o clock.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I said the same the other day. The roundabouts are the worst, the grass is so high & it makes visibility bad. There are a lot of areas in the town that are overgrown etc. Get the finger out KCC!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I think as the crow flies, they are both the same distance mile wise and the N69 was possibly a better road back then, hence faster journeys, but in the last couple of decades, the N21 obviously has gotten most of the improvements so usually a quicker journey nowadays. I still used to use the N69 on bank holiday weekends before Castleisland was bypassed because the double whammy of Adare and Castleisland was too much to endure. I can just about tolerate the hold up in Adare now.

I wonder how much benefit the Tralee Bypass is providing these days. The few times I've used it, it seems very quiet - and this would be during daytime hours. Irrespective of the economic downturn, are traffic projections being met?

I've thought the same. It never seems busy to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Believe it or not it's actually BAM that are responsible for the grass cutting and maintenance. They more often than not get sub contractors to cut the grass for them. AFAIK it's part of the contract. There still looking after the castleisland bypass.

Agree though they'd wanna get the finger out. It's actually quite dangerous on the roundabouts now beacuse you can't see over/through them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I've thought the same. It never seems busy to me!

I'd look at the effect on traffic in town rather than the volume of traffic on the bypass. Imho it's made a huge improvement which was the point of the project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I'd look at the effect on traffic in town rather than the volume of traffic on the bypass. Imho it's made a huge improvement which was the point of the project.

Indeed it has. It might not look busy but it still carries a fair bit of traffic. Also there is never traffic jams at the manor roundabout now like there used to be.

I'm wondering is there some issue with the maintenance because of the ongoing 'discussions' about the original cost of the project. There are also two places where the post and rope has been damaged quite awhile ago that have yet to be repaired.

I'm wondering is there some issue with the maintenance because of the ongoing 'discussions' about the original cost of the project. There are also two places where the post and rope has been damaged quite awhile ago that have yet to be repaired.

Doubt it beacuse BAM employees are still on site at the moment finishing the farmers entrances and side roads it's currently getting some kind of a cheapie tar surface!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Indeed it has. It might not look busy but it still carries a fair bit of traffic. Also there is never traffic jams at the manor roundabout now like there used to be.

Given that the integrity of the post and rope dividing fence must be compromised to some degree where it was damaged, one would think that the repair of this would be in the URGENT category.

The grass is now being cut, the downside is that for health and safety reasons they must close off both lanes while a section is being cut to provider the operator with a safe work environment. The N86 section is currently closed.

what a load of bull****, one lane closure would be more than enough

dmeehan wrote: »
    The grass is now being cut, the downside is that for health and safety reasons they must close off both lanes while a section is being cut to provider the operator with a safe work environment. The N86 section is currently closed.

what a load of bull****, one lane closure would be more than enough

Really?

When I heard of the closure on the radio, I thought they were fixing the median.

That's bloody crazy. And its closed till 4.30 tomorrow. Are they using a hedge clippers to cut it?

They are using a tractor with the hedge cutting add-on thing. Plenty of space available to keep the second lane open. Health and safety gone crazy

dmeehan wrote: »
    They are using a tractor with the hedge cutting add-on thing. Plenty of space available to keep the second lane open. Health and safety gone crazy

I agree its overkill to close the road totally. But with some of the driving I've seen on the bypass since it opened, you couldn't blame the lads cutting it.

Grass cutting continues apace. Forge cross done this eve.
    Amazing the amount of rubbish that was inside the grass that's revealed now its cut in some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

Grass cutting continues apace. Forge cross done this eve.
    Amazing the amount of rubbish that was inside the grass that's revealed now its cut in some places.

We are a filthy people -all rubbish out the car window
    The busiest roundabout seems to have been forgotten about [ie Ballygarry] grass still uncut in centre and all elbows The whole grass cutting effort all along bypass is pretty pathetic -compare with KCC cutting on N21 past Ballygarry

Guys with strimmers doing the N69 Roundabout last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

The contract for the Tralee bypass — which opened last year — was for €30m but claims for

AN ADDITIONAL €46 million Euro !!!

have been lodged by the contractors, civil engineering firm BAM.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Is the section between Ballingarry House roundabout and the roundabout with the N22, the N21 or the N69?

Google Maps says N21 but the signs on the bypass just after the Ballingarry roundabout say N69.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

I think it seems to depend in which direction you're travelling!
    It would have been neater if the dual carriage way had got it's own label.
    Of more immediate concern is that TomTom at least thinks that the bypass is a motorway and gives the legal limit as 120 Kms.
    Any feedback from Garmin users?

marno21 wrote: »
    Is the section between Ballingarry House roundabout and the roundabout with the N22, the N21 or the N69?

Google Maps says N21 but the signs on the bypass just after the Ballingarry roundabout say N69.

Should it not be the N22 (both directions), otherwise the N22 would terminate at a non-primary route

Does anyone know what the story is with the God awful unsightly abandoned compound that still set up at the Ballygarry roundabout.

As one of the main gateways into Tralee it a horrible first impression.

The bypass is a year and a half open at this stage surely it should be dismantled and re-landscaped.

One would wonder if if contravenes planning laws at the moment with the project complete!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

I see that in two seperate sections of the road just above knockwaddra bridge there has been incidents of cars running into the central median destroying many of the posts.

Still not repaired :eek:

Still not repaired :eek:

saw that recently & was wondering why it still hasn't been repaired! Is that the County Council's responsibility now? maybe report via Fix Your Street http://www.fixyourstreet.ie/main

Was it ever revealed how much in extras BAM were paid for the job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Radio5

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    saw that recently & was wondering why it still hasn't been repaired! Is that the County Council's responsibility now? maybe report via Fix Your Street http://www.fixyourstreet.ie/main

Would it not be the NRA's responsibility ?

Advertisement