Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N69/N22/N70 Tralee Bypass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Just saw a navteq car with what I presume was a GPS receiver on it's roof doing multiple round of the roundabout at forges cross.
    Expect updated maps soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

The new bypass is fantastic.

A few observations , drivers in Tralee Area need lessons on how to drive on dual carriageways and roundabouts.

Perhaps a simple flyer to be handed out at filling stations may act as a reminder for drivers on how to drive on dual carriageways and roundabouts.
    It may even save lives!

Or maybe have the cops do tough loving on the new roads. Wouldn't be long teaching them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Signage needs to include resorts eg. Ballyheigue, Banna , Castlegregory, Spa , Fenit, Tralee Golf Club.

Also signage for H , hospital does not specify which one. This feedback came from UK visitors this pm who spent hours going around in circles. Their GPS was not updated for Ring Road, exits etc.

Signage for I T is poorly placed, resulting in drivers missing exit, advance warning sign would be helpful, bearing in mind anticipated usage of the exit.:o

adam88 wrote: »
    Or maybe have the cops do tough loving on the new roads. Wouldn't be long teaching them

Not a bad idea. Whatever it takes to save lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Also signage for H , hospital does not specify which one.

Generally only hospitals with an A&E department get the "H". There is however a KGH finger post sign at the Castlemorris RaB and a Bons finger post sign at the PCF (Pure Chrystal Fountain).

Signage for our sister town Killarney is terrible.

What is going on at the end of the Killarney leg? The road works signs are of a very low quality and dont explain properly what is going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

What is going on at the end of the Killarney leg? The road works signs are of a very low quality and dont explain properly what is going on.

The junctions there off the new road(where the old road was) are being re-alingned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

Does anyone know if the junction at the top of Ballybeggan racecourse is going to be changed???

If travelling from the it north campus past the fabric centre why has the old road still have right of way despite in now being a cul de sac with only a hand full of houses????

It's slowing up the flow of traffic big time there most if which have come from the north end of the bypass to access clash.

traleespud wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the junction at the top of Ballybeggan racecourse is going to be changed???

If travelling from the it north campus past the fabric centre why has the old road still have right of way despite in now being a cul de sac with only a hand full of houses????

It's slowing up the flow of traffic big time there most if which have come from the north end of the bypass to access clash.

Indeed, I agree with this too, there needs to be something done here, it's a mess as it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hoof Hearted

What are the regulations regarding animal drawn vehicles? I'll be going from Ballyseedy to a mile north of Leith and I reckon I'll save 20 minutes on the bypass, that is 40 minutes through town reduced to 20 minutes on the bypass. My GPS is broken at the moment so I don't have accurate speed but normally my horse (Hoof Hearted) pulls me at 8 mph average (that's GPS speed) and not that's not "Gallops Per Second"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

What are the regulations regarding animal drawn vehicles? I'll be going from Ballyseedy to a mile north of Leith and I reckon I'll save 20 minutes on the bypass, that is 40 minutes through town reduced to 20 minutes on the bypass. My GPS is broken at the moment so I don't have accurate speed but normally my horse (Hoof Hearted) pulls me at 8 mph average (that's GPS speed) and not that's not "Gallops Per Second"

Well you can't hold up traffic any more than the people driving in the overtaking lane at 40 miles an hour!

Do people actually know how to drive on a dual carriageway, and don't get me started on the lane hoppers on the roundabouts.

Id love to be a traffic core guard for a day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Signage needs to include resorts eg. Ballyheigue, Banna , Castlegregory, Spa , Fenit, Tralee Golf Club.

agree, if you're not from the area there's no way you'd know what exits to take for different parts of town

The signs would be 40 feet high if this was the case.

Resort/tourist signs are brown anyway.

The signs would be 40 feet high if this was the case.

Resort/tourist signs are brown anyway.

Killarney has very many tourist attractions and seem to manage OK with a small number of brown signs on the National Primary routes for "National Park", "Ross Castle", "Fitzgerald Stadium", "Kate Kearney's Cottage" etc.

The new Tralee by pass could do with a similar level of brown sign sinage.

Signage for Killarney (and the Airport) on the new Tralee by pass is really very very bad. Put yourself in the shoes of a tourist coming from Dingle and wishing to get to Killarney and you will see what I mean.

I'm sure there is good reason for the amount of signage that there is.

If you look at the two big signs on the left approaching the leith roundabout from the ballybeggan side you will see a plate over the top exit on the roundabout,
    This is because an inspector/engineer checked through everything prior to the opening and though that having the local road marked there could give an indication that there was road straight through the roundabout where infact it's a very short cul de sac.

I havent been up to Leith so Im not familiar with the signage around there.

Since the opening of the by pass there have been many complaints about the level of signage for Killarney/Faranfore Airport from North, West and Mid Kerry.

Radio Kerry report: http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/kerry-county-council-carrying-out-review-of-signs-on-tralee-bypass/
    Kerry County Council is monitoring signage on the newly opened Tralee Bypass.
    The road opened last Friday, but there’s been criticism that there’s not enough signs for Killarney coming from north Kerry, and that the signs aren’t giving the most direct route to other parts of Tralee including Manor West.
    Kerry County Council says the National Roads Authority guidelines don’t allow signage for commercial developments like Manor West, but they may be included in future signage.
    The council is monitoring, and says if additional issues that arise in the coming weeks need to be addressed, then they and the NRA will look at doing so.

Well if people are setting off on journeys for the first time relying solely on road signs, there in for a long journey in Ireland.

Seriously, people have to do some of there own homework before setting off. The council or road authority can't be expected to have a sign for every town or village on every stretch of road.

Most cars or phones now have sat nav or google maps

Do we really need to have things explained to us at every stage?

The junctions there off the new road(where the old road was) are being re-alingned.

I see these works have finished and all the signage is down.

As well as the re allignment the old Killarney road now turns onto an old side road to ballymac and they have huge sign for the Church of the Immaculate conception!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 murphy05

There seriously needs to be some garda on the bypass or, God Forgive me, a speed camera.
    Drove on the bypass today - driving at 100km - a car passed as if I was not there and disappeared just as fast.

Approaching a roundabout maybe 50m behind another car on the dual carriageway, another speeding car passed both of us and cut across the front car without even slowing down cut across to take the first exit. It was both reckless and stupid. Thank God there was no car coming through the roundabout.

Perhaps the bypass should be called Mondello.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

Also drove today from Castlemaine Rd roundabout towards Ballygarry. I was on left lane approaching new Killarney exit. i was going straight on so had no indicator on -the car directly behind was indicating right to exit towards Killarney We were both overtaken by two jeeps on the outside lane- both jeeps were going straight on !!!

Its definately time to get the dash cam working again. Some people shouldn't be on the road!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

Long before we had the bypass I witnessed a car drive the wrong way around that roundabout outside Austin Stack park. The funniest thing ever..all traffic stopped as we knew this was going to be special :)

small car coming down from Argos side..sits waiting..looking..wondering how to get around and off she goes around the wrong way heading off towards the train station. Even a CIE bus stayed well out of her way...priceless

I'm genuinely amazed that no one has driven into and up onto a roundabout yet.

I'm genuinely amazed that no one has driven into and up onto a roundabout yet.

I guess a few people have made a fair effort at driving onto a roundabout.

Saw a 11 C reg Audi driving in the fast lane of the bypass @80kph this pm. Next roundabout moved into the slow lane! Frightening! Can't imagine the driver driving on the M50:D

It is only a matter of time before there is a fatality on the Tralee bypass.

murphy05 wrote: »
    There seriously needs to be some garda on the bypass or, God Forgive me, a speed camera.
    Drove on the bypass today - driving at 100km - a car passed as if I was not there and disappeared just as fast.

Approaching a roundabout maybe 50m behind another car on the dual carriageway, another speeding car passed both of us and cut across the front car without even slowing down cut across to take the first exit. It was both reckless and stupid. Thank God there was no car coming through the roundabout.

Perhaps the bypass should be called Mondello.

Mondello, perhaps?

Journeys end? Gleasures Boulevard?

Two fat miles?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

How long does it take to drive from listowel to Killarney through the new bypass skipping trslee town.
    Aprrox the old road takes an hour.
    Tried the AA travel router but take me thru town the bypass is not updated on their AA map.
    Thanks in advance.

How long does it take to drive from listowel to Killarney through the new bypass skipping trslee town.
    Aprrox the old road takes an hour.
    Tried the AA travel router but take me thru town the bypass is not updated on their AA map.
    Thanks in advance.

I'm doing it in 40 mins in the morning, and about 50 home in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

Thank you so much for your quick reply. :D

Thank you so much for your quick reply. :D

Were very efficient around here! (Except football).

I'm doing it in 40 mins in the morning, and about 50 home in the evening.

That must be quite a saving from your old journey time especially if driving at peak times. What was your old time for reference?

PS. It's probably all of 50 people/day that do the entire Listowel to Killarney trip would you say.

• Advertisement

Has the 25% reduction figure materialised since the new bypass? I reckon now will be a good time to make some initial comparisons now that things are getting back to normal although I'm sure people are still trying to see how the bypass may or may not help them. I'm also sure that there are others who will take many weeks or months before venturing into "uncharted territory", as such there will be long term slow ramp up in daily traffic volume as those non-adventurous will give it a try. I would love to see how long it took for the M50 ramp up in traffic occurred.

Advertisement