Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

JMSE wrote: »
    Was comin out of Enniscorthy Thursay midday and when I saw the gosafe van, I looked down at the speedo which was at 83/84. I'm in a truck so that means I'm over by 3 or 4kmphs. I dont know if I'll get done yet but I'm already bloody annoyed coz I am Mr.Stayonthelimit.

Speedos generally overestimate by 5% or so. You might be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

sdeire wrote: »
    THERE IS NO SLOW LANE.

And your post is absolute rubbish.
    Your head's in the slow lane. Not explaining it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Think I got flashed by a van coming out of Donnybrook last night, was doing about 58 in a 50 section on an empty road at 1am.

Have to say, even once it had flashed at I looked at it, I still barely saw it, it was parked in an impressively dark spot.

How long till I get confirmation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Brazilmorgyn

NGA wrote: »
    This thread just keeps going around in circles.....

Go Safe vans cannot detect on a motorway. Only Gardaí can stop in a motorway.

Secondly.....Go Safe vans don't care how many speeders they detect. The limits are set by the Garda National Traffic Bureau as are the locations and the company is paid for their time....not for their detections. This is why they will never make a loss......and it's why you seen them out last winter during the ice and snow when nobody could speed.
    Again the people of Ireland are sold this bull, this is only starting, who bets quotas will stay the same? Never, because it's a money spinner for the state and a major private company, when did that ever work, M50 ? Toll roads?

gosafe390x285.jpg

Hardly inconspicuous.
    A propaganda photo from the state, this does not reflect the true markings of a speed camera van, the vans they have are blue , black, green, silver, red, every colour to fool people , they have smaller markings than shown in your picture, this is a money making business nothing else, do people really think a major company based in the uk are worried about us speeding in Ireland? That they spend hundreds of thousands to help us and the Garda stop speeding ? Or they see a opportunity to make millions from catching honest decent people in underhanded sneaky ways.
    When did the state and private business ever work well, is clamping cars a good example? No, is the way car parks in hospitals are monitored by private companies good . No! I can go on for ages with examples, but the go safe vans are a scam to raise revenue, nothing else, at least the Garda earned their money and gave you advise if you got stopped for speeding, not these go safe van sneaks, soon one of their employies will have the courage to tell how they are trained by this company, then we will see if I,m right. Bring back honest policing.

• Advertisement

ironclaw wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. Please, look passed the hype. This is a PRIVATE company. They ain't out their for the love of keeping the roads safe, they are out their with targets, quota's and a budget. That all equals revenue and profit. I'd put my entire net worth that they will NEVER make a loss. I'm sure the response to that would be "Well, we'll all keep them going with our speeding and lack of road knowledge" Utter rubbish. That accounts for maybe 50% of their catch. The rest is sneaky, underhand tactics. I have four videos that I'm editing now after reading this past thread.

Its two GoSafe vans versus a Garda van. Three locations and it will highlight just how sneaky these guys are.
    Thank god someone else can see what I,m saying, it's a scam and corrupt buisness with no other agenda than profit for state and foreign based business, forget go safe saying we are based in Kerry, anyone can open an office in Ireland, where do the directors live! Kerry ? No, London, Paris, the truth will surface about ministers and these slime balls shady dealings in getting this contract, it's a scandal and it's only starting! Why do the state not place electronic speed signs at enter es to villages that monitor your speed and flash it to you? Like in France Italy etc? And inside they have a camera if you exceed the speed limit you get a fine, simple, but they cost money to buy and they work , so the state gets no return! Hence go safe come on the scene! We have a plan minister stroke! And it begins!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭HTB

Have to agree, this whole thing is a scam on the motoring public and the tax payer.

I warned people about this before it happened and they laughed at me.
    There is a van parked on the Navan Trim road nearly every day. I would love to know why this road is classed as a dangerous road where people have been killed ?.

The road is new, 2 years old and I dont think there has been any major accidents on it.
    Also I remember the propaganda telling us these vans would be visible. NOT A CHANCE !.
    A red van parked on the left on the way out of Trim on the Dublin road. I actually went back to look and there was not one marking on the Van. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

HTB wrote: »
    I actually went back to look and there was not one marking on the Van. :mad:

Then it's a survey van and doesn't give out points. Jesus, read the bloody thread before ranting.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭HTB

133 pages, go away outa that.:eek:

Whats a survey van :confused:

Chris, If your this perky on a Monday, you must be gas altogether by Friday.:D

HTB wrote: »
    133 pages, go away outa that.:eek:

Whats a survey van :confused:

Chris, If your this perky on a Monday, you must be gas altogether by Friday.:D

If you go back 30 posts you'll see this discussed and clarified (again).

It's not too much to ask to expect people to read back a few pages before posting - it feels like groundhog day around here sometimes...

• Advertisement

-Chris- wrote: »
    Then it's a survey van and doesn't give out points. Jesus, read the bloody thread before ranting.

Survey vans only excist to reserch if it will be viable for go safe to deploy a 79000€ van at a certain location to see if it's a profitable road position to bring in revenue for the company, nothing to do with road safety, profit and profit only is why the real speed vans hide in gate ways on footpaths feet behind road signs,and the so called reflective markings on the vans are not hiviz reflective, but a special order from a company in the uk, check the markings on a Garda car or an ambulance against one of these vans operated by go safe. This is a PRIVATE company, in business to make money, and it's from the people of Ireland the money will come from, so it's in go safes interest to operate their vans best they can by hiding them, making sure no one can see them until it's too late, not to deter speeders, that would be crazy business to run customers !:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Survey vans only excist to reserch if it will be viable for go safe to deploy a 79000€ van at a certain location to see if it's a profitable road position to bring in revenue for the company, nothing to do with road safety, profit and profit only is why the real speed vans hide in gate ways on footpaths feet behind road signs,and the so called reflective markings on the vans are not hiviz reflective, but a special order from a company in the uk, check the markings on a Garda car or an ambulance against one of these vans operated by go safe. This is a PRIVATE company, in business to make money, and it's from the people of Ireland the money will come from, so it's in go safes interest to operate their vans best they can by hiding them, making sure no one can see them until it's too late, not to deter speeders, that would be crazy business to run customers !:eek:

Thats total crap. Read this post FFS. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73342008&postcount=1980

That poster knows what he is talking about,

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Thats total crap. Read this post FFS. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73342008&postcount=1980

That poster knows what he is talking about,
    I just explained the same as he did what survey vans are for, they do not give out points but are for revenue research, next time you pay € 80 remember this. Don,t believe everything the minister tells you or what big business tell you. Anglo Irish ring a bell! Grow up and see what's happening, it's very simple to see when you open your mind.

I just explained the same as he did what survey vans are for, they do not give out points but are for revenue research, next time you pay € 80 remember this. Don,t believe everything the minister tells you or what big business tell you. Anglo Irish ring a bell! Grow up and see what's happening, it's very simple to see when you open your mind.

I wont be paying 80 euros to anybody..;)

The vans are on a fixed price so if they catch the entire population or catch 1000 people they get paid the same. This has been posted several times here but some people are just too thick to get it into there heads.

I wont be paying 80 euros to anybody..;)

The vans are on a fixed price so if they catch the entire population or catch 1000 people they get paid the same. This has been posted several times here but some people are just too thick to get it into there heads.

Yes they are, but watch how it works, they catch as many as possible in the first few months, then what they park the vans in a shed until next year! No they again lobby the minister saying we have a bigger speeding problem then we thought, we should increase the quota minister, and the minister thinks about all the money he will make, and they agree, see big business and ministers working together end up bad for the people of Ireland,, does the so called Galway tent remind you of how we ended up in the **** we are in now. This is only the start of this scam, trust me, and you will some day end up paying like a lot of people have already, to a company who,s share holders are all foreign .

Yes they are, but watch how it works, they catch as many as possible in the first few months, then what they park the vans in a shed until next year! No they again lobby the minister saying we have a bigger speeding problem then we thought, we should increase the quota minister, and the minister thinks about all the money he will make, and they agree, see big business and ministers working together end up bad for the people of Ireland,, does the so called Galway tent remind you of how we ended up in the **** we are in now. This is only the start of this scam, trust me, and you will some day end up paying like a lot of people have already, to a company who,s share holders are all foreign .

Just stop speeding and you will be fine.. They cannot catch you then.:)

Just stop speeding and you will be fine.. They cannot catch you then.:)
    Never thought of that! But you know I,m right :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Mac89

ok guys im a bit confuzzled here!!

So there are GoSafe Vans which only give out fines (€80) but not penalty points?! Am I correct here? And they look like these:

gosafe.jpg

Then there are garda vans which you can get penalty points and a fine with!? And they look like this?

DSC00015.JPG

And then ive seen red ones too!?

Apologies if i seem like a total thicko but would like to know what the deal is with them!! I have read previous posts but am still confused!! And also how long does it take till you receive notification of points/fine??

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Mac89 wrote: »

So there are GoSafe Vans which only give out fines (€80) but not penalty points?! Am I correct here? And they look like these:

Then there are garda vans which you can get penalty points and a fine with!? And they look like this?

Apologies if i seem like a total thicko but would like to know what the deal is with them!! I have read previous posts but am still confused!! And also how long does it take till you receive notification of points/fine??

Thanks!!

You get penalty points for any speeding fine. The red ones you mention are unmarked Gosafe vans which are used for surveying and do not issue speeding fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Mac89 wrote: »

gosafe.jpg

DSC00015.JPG

Thanks!!

With respect, the general populous should just assume that every van they encounter will give them a fine and points. Its pretty hard to tell the difference between an unmarked GoSafe survey van (i.e. No fine or points) and an unmarked Garda van (i.e. Fine and Points) The only clue would be the make and model of the van, and the registration plate.

All marked GoSafe vans give fine's and points.

And I don't buy the whole "They get paid a fixed amount not based on the number of speeders" Granted, they get a fixed amount, no problem in that. But that fixed amount is millions of our hard earned taxes. They won't get that money unless they show results, and to show results you have to catch speeders.

While they are not paid by the speeder, they certainly have to show something for all the money they are getting, and like any business that means keeping in business by any means possible.

I'd also like to point out that the contract and the money handed over is absolutely ludicrous. According to this: (http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Safety%20Cameras%20Contract%20Signed) it costs 16 million per year.

€43,835 per day.

That pretty much means a van is paid for in about a week (The vans are very expensive) So after about 3 months they are totally in profit by a huge margin, and its a rolling yearly contract.

The government only need 200,000 €80 fines from them to pay for it and given the current economic climate, I sincerely doubt they are willing to make a loss. So there is your quota, the government need 200,000 fines a year (550 fines a day) to justify it. Easy peasy I'd say for GoSafe. They must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Anyone who has got a notice, does it come from the Department of Transport or GoSafe? If it comes from Shannon, it just goes to show that we are being screwed again as GoSafe probably just send the reg, speed and photo. And we have to again pay for them to be processed in Shannon.

So anyone who says this is a not for profit, safety directed projected is an utter idiot in my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Testament1 wrote: »
    They can be pretty damn inconspicuous when they're pulled into a nice shaded area at night with no lights on. Those markings on the vans aren't reflective so it can be difficult to spot them at night.

the marking are reflective..

Ironclaw, it's what I,m saying, it's a scam, and like bob geldofs song, its a rat trap and we,ve been caught, ( again). Why can no one see this only a chosen few who can see over the hill like you . Respect

pa990 wrote: »
    the marking are reflective..

Yes but a special order reflective material that is not anyway near the standard to those on Garda cars or ambulances or on trucks, they want to hide it's the only way they can make revenue.look at the propaganda pic in the forum, see the way the van does not reflect, it's matt, look at Garda cars reflection. See now !

Yes but a special order reflective material that is not anyway near the standard to those on Garda cars or ambulances or on trucks, they want to hide it's the only way they can make revenue.look at the propaganda pic in the forum, see the way the van does not reflect, it's matt, look at Garda cars reflection. See now !

I'd be inclined to agree with this. They are definitely not as reflective as marked Garda cars and ambulances:

5650511509_41e120c1ca.jpg

5650515077_2b08a58c3f.jpg

Both taken on dipped headlights, and at an angle so the reflection should be good. The top photo, the main reflection you see is actually the sign behind the van.

In comparison to these (Not my photos) and taking note that they are in a well lit area, but still shine brightly. Unlike a dark road where the only light source is the car and hence a reflection should be very noticeable

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vanhelsing65/2259478874/in/photostream/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

ok whats the story with this van?
    travels around cavan/meath areas camera in back and front
    NOT ONE MARK ON THE VAN WHATSOEVER

and the cameras flash ive seen it a few times cause i parked up to see

-Chris- wrote: »
    Nothing to do with colour.

Unmarked Private van = survey
    Marked Private van = fines
    Garda Van = fines whether it's marked or not

so what does the van i captured above come under?

jimmynokia wrote: »

That's a Garda van afaik

My vote would be a Garda van. Given the D reg and the look of the camera etc.

By the way, no van has a front mounted camera. There is no need for one and fitting one would be nigh impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

jimmynokia wrote: »

survey van.
    not Being smart or anything. but the White van in that photo has no markings. If it was a cop van would it not have markings on it or some form of identification.

on another note u can just about make out a worktop goin all along the passenger side in the Back if u really zoom in.

• Advertisement

survey van.
    not Being smart or anything. but the White van in that photo has no markings. If it was a cop van would it not have markings on it or some form of identification.

on another note u can just about make out a worktop goin all along the passenger side in the Back if u really zoom in.

van in that photo has no markings( IM WELL AWARE READ MY POST AGAIN)
    it has a camera in back and it does flash i see this same van nearly every day and ive stopped to see if the camera does flash,i will park right behind it next time and get another photo

Advertisement