Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭oompaloompa

worded wrote: »
    How long does it take between getting caught and getting a ticket approx?

I got caught near the Beehive Pub in Wicklow. There is a Van there for the last few days. A popular spot.

where abouts did you get caught?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭worded

where abouts did you get caught?

Going towards Dublin just a few 100 yards past the Beehive pub there is a red van tucked into the hedge on the left.

Its a straight stretch of very good road where there is very little chance of a crash but lots of opportunity to nail hard working people with this stealth tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Going towards Dublin just a few 100 yards past the Beehive pub there is a red van tucked into the hedge on the left.

Its a straight stretch of very good road where there is very little chance of a crash but lots of opportunity to nail hard working people with this stealth tax.

Generally the red vans are "surveying", you might be lucky.

It is a nice stretch of road but I do know of a good few crashes on it over the years. People seem to completely mis-judge distances when pulling out from the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

think meath must have the most safety camera vans
    one at fairyhouse today 1oclock
    another different van in navan today 2.15
    and yet another one in oldcastle at 3oclock today
    if you were not paying attention 9 points & €240 down in one day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭worded

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Two and a half months old. The date's on the article.

Certainly not something to be encouraged or celebrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

pippip wrote: »
    Generally the red vans are "surveying", you might be lucky.
    I thought it was the other way around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Nothing to do with colour.

Unmarked Private van = survey
    Marked Private van = fines
    Garda Van = fines whether it's marked or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Well I got my fine in the post today from last Sundays 'flash'. Bugger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Auld.Rogue

Just passed a speed camera on the N69 between the Cement Factory Roundabout and Mungret Village. This is possibly the 15th time or more that the same van has been parked in this spot since the introduction of these vans. What gets me is, the van is parked on a section of road where there has never ever been a road death, not one. I'm from this area and I'm hard pushed to even recall a crash on this section of road. Where this van is parked is nothing more than proof that the camera vans have nothing to do with road safety, just quick cash.

Meanwhile, I was over taken by an truck coming up to the most dangerous part of the road between Limerick and Foynes, where many many crashes have happened, and even 2 road deaths a couple of years ago, when a youth killed a fireman and a member of the Gardai attending a crash, he got off by the way!!. Speed camera there to provide road safety, NO, of course not, the easy cash is parking at the Cement factory old entrance, just after mungret village. Be warned!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i guess the pont of these vans being visible is to educate drivers to slow down at ALL times and I think its working. SOmetimes its hard to find a suitable safe location to park them where they should be of most advantage.

DOnt worry about the cash they raise, if theres any left after paying the cost of the vans etc, it goes towards schools, hospitals and other things we can barely afford nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

There's one parked sometimes on the Condell road just in between the Coonagh and Clonmacken roundabout also which serves no purpose at all.

There are no exits, no houses, not even a path for pedestrians. That Coonagh roundabout it a death trap in frosty weather but you could be doing 20kmph and you would still go slip sliding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

I suppose it would be too much to ask for to have a list of stats for each of those "danger spots" - ie a summary of the crashes - number/type of vehicles involved, did condition of vehicle contribute to crash,road/weather conditions, time of day/night. Obviously this is Ireland so they couldn't indicate whether a driver was (drunk/stoned/tying shoelace) at fault.

Wonder how many of the DANGER spots could be fixed by changing road layouts/surfaces or even (shock!) having a road suitable for the volumes of traffic. Limerick to Abbeyfeale is a farce at this stage, allow for 60kph average if the numpties are all out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭vetstu

langdang wrote: »
    I suppose it would be too much to ask for to have a list of stats for each of those "danger spots" - ie a summary of the crashes - number/type of vehicles involved, did condition of vehicle contribute to crash,road/weather conditions, time of day/night. Obviously this is Ireland so they couldn't indicate whether a driver was (drunk/stoned/tying shoelace) at fault.

Wonder how many of the DANGER spots could be fixed by changing road layouts/surfaces or even (shock!) having a road suitable for the volumes of traffic. Limerick to Abbeyfeale is a farce at this stage, allow for 60kph average if the numpties are all out.

Knock yourself out
    http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Road-Safety/Our-Research/Ireland-Road-Collisions/

Thanks - I'm genuinely amazed that this exists and is as good as it is!
    Mungret village would appear to be a blackspot for pedestrian/car incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Limerick to Abbeyfeale is a farce at this stage, allow for 60kph average if the numpties are all out.

What a God awful road with God awful drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rolled.S

Thanks - I'm genuinely amazed that this exists and is as good as it is!
    Mungret village would appear to be a blackspot for pedestrian/car incidents.

Not sure how you figure this, I live there, and not heard of a pedestrian or car incident in the last 3 years at least. Maybe a few fender benders at one particularly badly designed junction beyond mungret, but not where they have located the speed cameras. Having had a family member who worked for the the supplier of said information in your post, I wouldn't believe a single statistic coming from that source. I even find it hard to believe they exist considering some of the driving habits visible on the road every day of the week.

Consider that recently a set of statistics came from the same said source as to how great a job they were doing, and showing stats from the last 10 years with regards to reductions in road deaths and accidents. Interestingly, their stats almost perfectly aligned with improved safety records from car manufacturers. What I'm saying is, road safety or driving habits, certainly where I'm from, haven't changed one iota thanks to the "source", if anything it's worse, but car safety, and collision survival has dramatically increased in the last 10-15 years thanks to engineering and improved safety standards within the motor industry.

Where there have been road deaths, and major collisions on the N69, there are no speed cameras. Not for want of places to put them, hence I refer back to my original statement of the camera vans being nothing more than quick cash.

Rolled.S wrote: »
    Not sure how you figure this
    Well, I was referring to a website that shows this info, and I said that it appeared to show many pedestrian/vehicle incidents.

If you zoom into Mungret, and select all years, pedestrian incidents and all "grades" of incident, then all shall be revealed. Considering it's a no-horse-town, 3 incidents in 3 years seems pretty high to me.

But you're probably upset the RSA didn't consult you first by the sounds of things?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rolled.S

;), such wit and intelligence in your last line.

Have you ever been in Mungret in your life, if not, I think you'll find it a lot more than "no-horse-town" considering that it's right on the edge of Limerick, and the first village on one of the busiest roads in Limerick County being the main link to Foynes (reasonably sized sea-port). Very very busy road, with thousands of vehicles of different types passing through on a daily basis, and considering this, as you pointed out, only 3 so called accidents, no road fatalities.

My point was, where the camera vans are situated on this road are NOT danger zones or frequent accident areas, and where the people have been KILLED or DIED in the last few years on the N69, there are no camera's nor are the areas designated camera zones. Quite a simple comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭the_one_&_only

That marked Gardai gatso van was on the N4 westbound between the Outer Ring Road (R136) and the Newcastle Road (R120) just before the bus stop at 01.30am on Saturday morning when i was coming that was. It flashed a few times as i was coming towards it but lucky for me i was under the limit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Go Safe van located between Allenwood and Dagwelds cross on the main clane road yesterday.

Big string of slow traffic :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Looks like it, but I'll qualify it by saying that only if the new square camera signs are located in the areas of operation.

Think about it; we already have numerous of those little round red edged signs on our roads.

I know we can all make mistakes at times, but are we really saying we want to be able to drive at whatever speed we judge fit at all times without any consequences at all whether saftey wise or penalty wise?

This development (new signage) is an honest alternative to the old way of Gaurds hiding in bushes with speed guns.

I'd say the silent majority in the country would agree that the roads feel a bit safer since the introduction of the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭Top Dog

This development (new signage) is an honest alternative to the old way of Gaurds hiding in bushes with speed guns.
    Its not really. Alternative would suggest that its in replacement of something - fact is its in addition to! Gardai are still doing their hiding, and the Go-Safe vans are doing much the same. The only real difference is there's a few new signs about the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Am I the only one happy we have cameras?

You're not, but you won't get much support for your view here.

Resentment towards speed cameras seems to be inevitable. But maybe that's how they work: if people liked being monitored and fined they wouldn't change their behaviour.

AGS have to be honest, open and thoroughly professional about their speed enforcement operation, however. The public need to be reassured that they are doing a good job for a good reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    You're not, but you won't get much support for your view here.

Resentment towards speed cameras seems to be inevitable. But maybe that's how they work: if people liked being monitored and fined they wouldn't change their behaviour.

AGS have to be honest, open and thoroughly professional about their speed enforcement operation, however. The public need to be reassured that they are doing a good job for a good reason.

True enough.
    And some of the pure wrong (too low in some areas) speed limits should be readjusted to reflect the quality of road etc to end the fish in the barrel activities.

And some should be reduced, country lanes with a maximum speed of 80km come to mind. 60km would be more sensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

True enough.
    And some of the pure wrong (too low in some areas) speed limits should be readjusted to reflect the quality of road etc to end the fish in the barrel activities.

And some should be reduced, country lanes with a maximum speed of 80km come to mind. 60km would be more sensible.

I doubt that there's an objective definition of "pure wrong" in this context.

There are a number of valid reasons for the setting of speed limits that motorists may feel are too low.

The setting and reviewing of speed limits is ultimately a political and administrative process. AFAIK the default limit of 80 kph on rural regional and local roads was chosen for administrative simplicity. These ought to be reviewed case by case, since this classification includes those quaint cart tracks as well more substantial roads more suited to an 80 kph limit.

Under the 2004 Act the elected members of county and city councils retain the power to make by-laws to apply a special speed limit in lieu of a default speed limit at any specified location. The range of special speed limits available to the local authorities is 120, 100, 80, 60, 50 and 30 km/h. (Source: Dept. of Transport).

Anyone concerned about inappropriate speed limits ought to be lobbying the elected members of their local authority, and drumming up support for a speed limit review in their local community.

You have to be persistent, mind you. A roads engineer indicated to me that such reviews only take place every couple of years, though that may not be true of all local authorities in the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    The setting and reviewing of speed limits is ultimately a political and administrative process. AFAIK the default limit of 80 kph on rural regional and local roads was chosen for administrative simplicity. These ought to be reviewed case by case, since this classification includes those quaint cart tracks as well more substantial roads more suited to an 80 kph limit.

What happened was is that there are blanket speed limits that have been automatically applied, i.e. that category of road is X limit and that category is Y, meeting over, let's go to the pub.
    That was many years ago and not a single one of those one-size-fits-none limits in my area has ever been changed.
    The only limits that have changed are the ones on all ex main roads that for decades had a 100 km/h limit, despite carrying all the traffic and now, since they are deserted, miraculously have become 80 km/h, despite being wide, straight and having hard shoulders.
    The cynical part in me (alright, all of me) thinks that some toll operator said "look, if people can bomb down the old main roads at 100+, there will be no reason for them to use (and pay for) our roads, so here's a little something for yourself in this envelope, be a good man and bring those limits down to 80, then you can also pepper those routes with cash cameras and make a little bit on the side"
    All that talk about "oh, we are so concerned about you and we are implementing all sorts of highly intelligent, well thought out strategies to protect you, bollocks.
    It would rather seem that people who work in these authorities would rather coast through the day without any hassle towards lunch and retirement and prefer not to have to go through too much hassle.
    So, safety, yes, enforcement, yes, but not the half-arsed, lazy, thick way it is being done in this country.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

But in Louth there are some R roads with a speed limit of 100km/h (e.g. R132, R173) and there is an N road with a limit of 120km/h (the N1) - can these blanket speed limits be overrided by local councils, or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yes. Local councils can set whatever limits they want to roads under their control.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

There was another tax collecting van right at the turn where you go over the Iniscarra reservoir today after Lissarda village. From Macroom to Ovens into the Dual Carriageway is plagued by the vans lately.

Advertisement