Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options
1117118119120121123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Johnrazz wrote: »
    Not speed van related but didn’t want to start up another thread, please move if required.

I was stopped by the squad car today about 5miles outside of a village I passed through, told me I was doing 67 in a 50 and passed 2 cars out while doing it. This is true, I explained my reasons to him (I had 3 kids in the car with me and explained I was in a rush due to my reasons and that I’d take whatever he was throwing at me but I needed to attend to a family matter)

He gave me 10 days to produce my license at my local station, wished me well and said get there in one peace is all we’re trying to do with people. A very decent guard it has to be said. As he walked away I asked him what was the story now and he said ‘look we’ll see, but you were taking that bend fairly fast’ explained I knew that and apologised and we went away.

I assume I won’t be booked or will I? Not that I don’t deserve the fine and points but it’s the not knowing that bugs me. I’d be thinking if you’re going to be fined and get points that the Guard would have to tell you this before leaving (what your charge is, what your charge costs and penalty’s for not paying it) or am I wrong?

As I said, no complaints if I receive a fixed penalty, none at all with it, just want to know judging by his reaction if it would seem like I’d get one.

Thanks.

i think you might have been very very luck & and as a warning never to do it again especially with kids in the car. it all depends on your attitude with him as well if u were calm and nice and apologetic and genuine then u might have got away with it. since he asked you to produce your licence with in 10days i say you could have got away with it. He would have done you on the spot otherwise. i could be totally wrong though, just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

As he walked away I asked him what was the story now and he said ‘look we’ll see, but you were taking that bend fairly fast’ explained I knew that and apologised and we went away.

I've heard this same line before a few times and it's usually for the Garda to avoid a confrontation on the roadside. It makes no sense in my eyes, if they've made up their mind to charge you, they should be obligated to tell you and give you a receipt (Much like they do in the US, Canada etc).

Personally, I'd say you'll likely get the fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Johnrazz

ironclaw wrote: »
    I've heard this same line before a few times and it's usually for the Garda to avoid a confrontation on the roadside. It makes no sense in my eyes, if they've made up their mind to charge you, they should be obligated to tell you and give you a receipt (Much like they do in the US, Canada etc).

Personally, I'd say you'll likely get the fine.

Yeah I thought when I posted yesterday they were obligated to tell you if you were being charged but I’ve since found out that they don’t have to tell you anymore since around 2015! I’ll take the fine, as I said I’ve no complaints, would rather dodge the points if I could but I presume they come hand in hand. Thankfully it’s my first offence but I’d rather have a clean license.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cnoc

Yeah I thought when I posted yesterday they were obligated to tell you if you were being charged but I’ve since found out that they don’t have to tell you anymore since around 2015! I’ll take the fine, as I said I’ve no complaints, would rather dodge the points if I could but I presume they come hand in hand. Thankfully it’s my first offence but I’d rather have a clean license.

Don't forget to let us know the conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

• Advertisement
Advertisement