Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    There are people who have been fined several times for going slightly over the speed limit and I know they don't speed. They just happen to be looking at the road while driving.

Most people don't keep looking at their speed dial ,they keep their eye on the road.

I wonder about people who don't check their speedometer.

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/adviceandinformation/driving/speed/toptentips/speedometer.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

How slight is "slightly"?

Exactly.With all the talk of it since the speed cameras were introduced nobody has had the balls to post a fine up here.

Post it up or it never happened.

Iwannahurl wrote: »

Any good driver will know what speed he/she is doing without looking at the speedo every 5 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

How slight is "slightly"?

A couple of people told me they were doing 65 and less in a 60 zone ,these people were in there seventhies. They were just driving along with everyone else.

I wonder about people who keep looking at there speedometers:)

• Advertisement

A couple of people told me they were doing 65 and less in a 60 zone ,these people were in there seventhies. They were just driving along with everyone else.

I suspect that explains a lot on our roads: people just do whatever they see other people doing. It's the herd mentality, which is why enforcement is so important. The aim is ultimately to get the average speed of the herd down.

I suspect that explains a lot on our roads: people just do whatever they see other people doing. It's the herd mentality, which is why enforcement is so important. The aim is ultimately to get the average speed of the herd down.

What explains a lot of the bad driving on our roads is road signs and the speed limits on various roads around the country. Some signs on the M50 at the actual junctions ,causing people to swing lanes.
    Our road layouts and limits need to be regulated properly and not by a private company making money out of the mess ,thats how we save lives.

I think the vans are a good idea ,but they're no way near the answer in Ireland. Maybe they're the answer in countries who have decent road networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Our road layouts and limits need to be regulated properly and not by a private company making money out of the mess ,thats how we save lives.

The signage ont he M50 is fine, There are signs at the junctions, just like on motorways in all other countries. But these are just repeats of the other signs further back.

People who swing across 2 or 3 lanes know exactly what they are at.

The fact that very few of them drive in the proper driveing lane is another issue.

The signage ont he M50 is fine, There are signs at the junctions, just like on motorways in all other countries. But these are just repeats of the other signs further back.

People who swing across 2 or 3 lanes know exactly what they are at.

The fact that very few of them drive in the proper driveing lane is another issue.

There is junctions on the M50 with the signs on the verge between the sorting lanes ,:confused:

If I'm driving around europe ,it's like a walk in the park compared to our roads.

There is junctions on the M50 with the signs on the verge between the sorting lanes ,:confused:

If I'm driving around europe ,it's like a walk in the park compared to our roads.

As someone who intensely hates the rutted cart-tracks we call roads in this country, I have to agree.

Still, despite the many reasons not to be cheerful, we now have the 6th safest roads in the EU27 according to a recent independent report.

http://www.rsa.ie/Utility/Nuacht/20111/EU-Report-Confirms-Ireland-6th-Safest-Country-in-Europe/

• Advertisement

Still, despite the many reasons not to be cheerful, we now have the 6th safest roads in the EU27 according to a recent independent report.

http://www.rsa.ie/Utility/Nuacht/20111/EU-Report-Confirms-Ireland-6th-Safest-Country-in-Europe/

Thats good news ,didn't think we were in the same league as germany etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

As someone who intensely hates the rutted cart-tracks we call roads in this country, I have to agree.

Nice report. But is it weighted? We'd have less cars on the roads per day versus's Germany for instance. So we'd have statistically less crashes no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

ironclaw wrote: »
    Nice report. But is it weighted? We'd have less cars on the roads per day versus's Germany for instance. So statistically less crashes no?

It's in the link. Rated on deaths per million.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

They do conduct this type of work, like registered letters but with Gardai :) The idea is the letter is sent to the registered owner of the vehicle, however it is reasonable that the registered owner may not have been driving (Wife, son etc borrowing the car) as such the option exists to have the letter sent (And thus the points and fine) to the driver at the time. The idea of this scam (And I use the word scam) is that you send it to a bogus/non existent/foreign driver. Thus wasting their time, the Gardai's time and thus spending ultimately the rest of our taxes on wasting people's time.

I just thinks its all a waste of Garda time. This is a civilian Speed trap not Garda. Unless they are regulated or sanctioned some way by the Gardai.
    Who prosecutes it in court if fine is unpaid and who prosecutes if driver gives false information?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

Why? He was probably doing an indicated 115 + so knew full well he was speeding.

Nope I was doing an indicated 110, like I said I was in a group of cars just pottering nicely along, I didn't give the van a second thought until I got the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

cursai wrote: »
    I just thinks its all a waste of Garda time. This is a civilian Speed trap not Garda. Unless they are regulated or sanctioned some way by the Gardai.
    Who prosecutes it in court if fine is unpaid and who prosecutes if driver gives false information?

The Gardai fully sanction and support GoSafe. They are a private company that work on behalf of the state (Like the M50 toll's etc). Getting caught by them is the very same as if you were caught by the Gardai. No difference.

Prosecution is probably by the State, I'm not a lawyer so I don't know. But its certainly not a "civilian speed trap", its the very same as a Garda one just without the Garda.
    Is there any of these vans capable of recording speed while in motion ?
    I seen a van today on the motorway (M50) in the middle lane and everyone was driving behind

NO. They DO NOT capture while in motion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Wow, is there some sort of a crackdown on today?

Killiney > Parkwest > Malahide > Naas > Killiney = FOUR speed traps!
    One unmarked car parked up on the M50, one motorbike cop on the N7, one Garda van near Naas and one Garda van on the Cherrywood slip road of the M50.

Four in one day, and that's not counting any unmarked cars that I passed that may or may not have been looking for speeders.

I'm amazed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

-Chris- wrote: »
    Wow, is there some sort of a crackdown on today?

Killiney > Parkwest > Malahide > Naas > Killiney = FOUR speed traps!
    One unmarked car parked up on the M50, one motorbike cop on the N7, one Garda van near Naas and one Garda van on the Cherrywood slip road of the M50.

Four in one day, and that's not counting any unmarked cars that I passed that may or may not have been looking for speeders.

I'm amazed.

I think they're following you (i've seen how you drive) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

I dont know if its been covered or not already but i notice alot of people flashing lights coming up to speed cameras. This was something i though no longer happened in ireland but seemingly the introduction of the cameras has people doing it again.

I guess it actually slows people down so it could be counted as a positive thing.

Do you warn other cars of speed cameras?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

Sundy wrote: »
    I dont know if its been covered or not already but i notice alot of people flashing lights coming up to speed cameras. This was something i though no longer happened in ireland but seemingly the introduction of the cameras has people doing it again.

I guess it actually slows people down so it could be counted as a positive thing.

absolutely

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Any good driver will know what speed he/she is doing without looking at the speedo every 5 seconds.

In fairness could you really tell if you were doing 120 or 125km per hour?

If you mean that a driver can say get a car up to 120 and will notice if it slips up slightly then I agree with you. However, if you mean someone accelerating or someone with no reference point then I don't think many would notice the difference between 120 and 125.

100%

Shane732 wrote: »
    In fairness could you really tell if you were doing 120 or 125km per hour?

If you mean that a driver can say get a car up to 120 and will notice if it slips up slightly then I agree with you. However, if you mean someone accelerating or someone with no reference point then I don't think many would notice the difference between 120 and 125.

TBH Shane I never even cross 100KPH any more and I dont really do any motorway driving anymore. I always know when I am doing over 100 now.

I fell like a bit of a dick actually from my posts above about seeing a copy of a speeding ticket when someone had posted one a few posts above me...:o:o

I have noticed this wholesale. A lad I know flashed an unmarked Garda car a few weeks ago..:D They only saluted back..

-Corkie- wrote: »
    TBH Shane I never even cross 100KPH any more and I dont really do any motorway driving anymore. I always know when I am doing over 100 now.

I fell like a bit of a dick actually from my posts above about seeing a copy of a speeding ticket when someone had posted one a few posts above me...:o:o

Awhh so your that slow moving car in the fast lane?!! (your location in your details!)

Shane732 wrote: »
    Awhh so your that slow moving car in the fast lane?!! (your location in your details!)

Theres no fast lanes in my Parish shane. We share the one lane with the cows and the tractors..:D

Nice report. But is it weighted? We'd have less cars on the roads per day versus's Germany for instance. So we'd have statistically less crashes no?

I haven't looked at the criteria in detail, but AFAIK the 'award' for Ireland is on the basis of a percentage reduction in road deaths, in the context of EU targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

I sure do- but how far down the road do you stop flashing cars is the big question???
    Say you flash a guy- he slows down then after a few minutes he/she doesn't see the camera so presumes that it is a mistake and puts the boot down again.... fail.....

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

yup, one day on the motorway I spotted a speed trap and my friend was driving behind me so I put on the hazards to warn him.. took me a second to realise the two guards could see them too, saw them kind of laugh to eachother, felt like an eejit :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

It's a good idea to warn motorists that there's a camera van up ahead, it'll help sharpen them up for any obstacle up ahead (whether van, pedestrians, cyclists, animals, a rock or lump of muck on the road), and prevent any slamming on brakes when they eventually come to the obstacle.

Even if they are safely below the speed limit, it's a good idea to warn them that there may be something ahead that may require corrective action.

Besides, are there any laws against flashing your lights or gesturing whilst driving?

Advertisement