Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Did you take a photo or anything so you can email a complaint to the Gardai (or whoever's interested)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

-Chris- wrote: »
    Did you take a photo or anything so you can email a complaint to the Gardai (or whoever's interested)?
    could not get a photo in Fast lane
    Did lst nite emailed garda headquarters.
    name is blocked for privacy

cleardot.gifPress_Office to me
    show details 7:46 AM (8 hours ago)
    Good morning,
    If they are blocking a driveway or private entrance I suggest you contact the local Gardai.
    B***** W****** Sergeant
    Garda Press Office

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

could not get a photo in Fast lane

Face palm :(

Anyway, what house backs on to a motorway or dual carriageway? Google Map link please!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I'm not a lawyer but I don't think the whole "own to the centre of the road" would nessisarily apply on a Dual Carriage way. In any case, it would be up to the home owner to ask them to move or ring the Gardai.

In future do go and get photo's because its stuff like this that needs to be shown, not the useless ad's they have at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Maybe it was a Garda gatso van???

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Maybe it was a Garda gatso van???

none of them in limerick i think & if there was they would not be there. the Usual red squareish renault Go safe van cant mistake them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

none of them in limerick i think & if there was they would not be there. the Usual red squareish renault Go safe van cant mistake them.

The Garda van can go anywhere in the country and any road. However if it was a red Renault it would be a go safe van imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Just saw an Illegally park Go safe van Blocking a Private Entrance to a house.!!!(i Know the person in the House)
    It would only be an issue if the owner complained.

Did you discuss with the property owner? Who knows, perhaps he was happy to assist with law enforcement activities. Or maybe the van driver just pulled over to check his map?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Or maybe the van driver just pulled over to check his map?
    LOL! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dee112

driving from cahir to clonmel on wednesday and saw an unmarked speed camera van,it was a red transit with the camera shoved out the back?thought these were supposed to be visible to motorists?anybody see this?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Personally I don't think there should be signs for the cameras at all. Speed limit signs are sufficient.

Personally I don't think there should be cameras at all. Considering that there's a multitude of evidence (especially UK/US) that they cause accidents, and the UK have attributed 28000 accidents in a decade to cameras.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/7931842/Speed-camera-switch-off-sees-fewer-accidents.html

After most countries deciding to get rid of their cameras (UK, US) - Ireland introduces more. There's no sense or safety aspect about it.

Anyone who thinks that spending time looking at your speedo instead of at whats around you is beneficial.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

dee112 wrote: »
    driving from cahir to clonmel on wednesday and saw an unmarked speed camera van,it was a red transit with the camera shoved out the back?thought these were supposed to be visible to motorists?anybody see this?

Few days ago I was coming back from Dublin to Mayo in the middle of the night.
    Before Ballaghaderren some truck driver flashed me, so I persumed there must be a speed camera. I slowed down and was looking around.
    In the last moment I saw a red van absoultely hidden in the shrubs. Even I put all my concentration on looking for speed camera van, I barely managed to see it.

Over last 2 months, I traveled a lot, but only speed camera vans I've seen was in the middle of the night. Other one was seen on nice wide stretch of road outside Westport at 3:30 in the morning. Not a living soul around. I can't imagine what danger would the speeding cause there then.
    The same place at 9 in the morining, with lot's of traffic, busy petrol statnion entrance, garage entrance, side road, etc - no speed cameras.

As people were saying - it's a money making business.
    Thay stay there overnight because it's much easier to catch someone speeding on absolutely empty road. During the day when traffic is big, they don't bother because they wouldn't earn a single penny, as traffic is too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

CiniO wrote: »
    During the day when traffic is big, they don't bother because they wouldn't earn a single penny, as traffic is too big.

Indeed, studies show that there is an inverse relationship;
    Big traffic = tiny speed
    and
    Big speed = tiny traffic
    The cops are up on their scientific literature....

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭PAULWATSON

as watson said long ago, you "lads" take the thin edge of the wedge.

the little "go safe" vans have double the number of fines this year, and so it will continue next and and so on.

go safe "guy" thinks wonga not paddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Why are the GoSafe marked vans being parked behind obstruction etc to hide their positions? If they are being paid by the hour, and not per detection there is no need to try and hide their location.
    The point of the highly visible vans should surely be to highlight to road users the dangers of speeding etc????
    The location of vans have been agreed with local gardai etc to detect on high risk/collision routes.
    Who is giving the direction to GoSafe van drivers to try and hide their positions?
    If everyone here would photograph dubious placement and post it up, together we could change things???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

gman2k wrote: »
    Why are the GoSafe marked vans being parked behind obstruction etc to hide their positions?

Probably because the majority of the guys driving these are wannabe gardaí. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

dee112 wrote: »

I see this around once a month on that road (Drive it every day)...Pretty easy to know it's a camera to be fair and no way should you be going over 100 kmh on that road anyway. It's always in the same spot (just over the hill). >100kmh is not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

gman2k wrote: »
    Why are the GoSafe marked vans being parked behind obstruction etc to hide their positions? If they are being paid by the hour, and not per detection there is no need to try and hide their location.
    The point of the highly visible vans should surely be to highlight to road users the dangers of speeding etc????
    The location of vans have been agreed with local gardai etc to detect on high risk/collision routes.
    Who is giving the direction to GoSafe van drivers to try and hide their positions?
    If everyone here would photograph dubious placement and post it up, together we could change things???

I agree with you it sort of defeats the deterrent value. The cops have the unmarked vans that a lot of people wouldn't recognise anyway.

In germany the hide them in wheelie bins with slots cut out of them.

Personally I don't think there should be cameras at all. Considering that there's a multitude of evidence (especially UK/US) that they cause accidents, and the UK have attributed 28000 accidents in a decade to cameras.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/7931842/Speed-camera-switch-off-sees-fewer-accidents.html

Anyone who thinks that spending time looking at your speedo instead of at whats around you is beneficial.. :rolleyes:
    There's nothing in what you posted to support the argument that speed cameras cause accidents. If it's the anecdotes about stupid drivers jamming on when they see them, that's easily solved by using low-profile speed traps. In any case these would be more effective at catching incorrigable law breakers.

We have speed limits and speed traps because most drivers, some 86% of them, cannot be trusted to drive in a socially acceptable manner.

• Advertisement

There's nothing in what you posted to support the argument that speed cameras cause accidents. If it's the anecdotes about stupid drivers jamming on when they see them, that's easily solved by using low-profile speed traps. In any case these would be more effective at catching incorrigable law breakers.

We have speed limits and speed traps because most drivers, some 86% of them, cannot be trusted to drive in a socially acceptable manner.

where is your evidence against it. all you doing is saying some random number of drivers cant be trusted to drive properly.But then you provide no proof to back it up. I could say the same thing. 50% of the cars were red that crashed.Unless u have proof the numbers mean nothing they could be made up

where is your evidence against it. all you doing is saying some random number of drivers cant be trusted to drive properly.....Unless u have proof the numbers mean nothing they could be made up

Says the RSA. Check the executive summary on page 4, then read the detailed analysis.

so, lets's agree that it would be safer if speed traps were not so visible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Time to unsubscribe.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

We have speed traps to make money, plain and simple. If the Government want to dispell this once and for all, they should remove the fine so the motorists only gets penalty points when caught.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Time to unsubscribe.

Ditto. I'm sure all the arguments have been made several times over, for and against, some good, some bad, some ugly.:D
    Will we ever agree?
    That would be a first on Motors.
    This is going in circles, don't think anything new will be added by either side, so time to be off.
    And (I might be the first to concede ground:eek:) I'm sure enforcement of the law is needed, but I will never understand why these cameras pop up in locations where there happens to be a ludicrously low speedlimit, preferably on a motorway.
    Anyways, must dash (but not too fast!);)

:cool::cool: alert11_.gif

pls pull over ur Vehicle DR. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

We have speed traps to make money, plain and simple. If the Government want to dispell this once and for all, they should remove the fine so the motorists only gets penalty points when caught.

If a group of motoring enthusiasts keep repeating the same claim ad nauseam on Boards then it must be true, right?

On the other hand, if the speed camera sceptics want to defeat the Government's money-making scam, they could perhaps fatally undermine it by never exceeding the posted speed limit. Then the state-sanctioned scam artists would just give up and go home, wouldn't they? No money, no point, no fun...

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    If a group of motoring enthusiasts keep repeating the same claim ad nauseam on Boards then it must be true, right?

On the other hand, if the speed camera sceptics want to defeat the Government's money-making scam, they could perhaps fatally undermine it by never exceeding the posted speed limit. Then the state-sanctioned scam artists would just give up and go home, wouldn't they? No money, no point, no fun...

Ur Point Being!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Ur Point Being!!!

Do you seriously not get his point??

• Advertisement

And IrishSpeedTraps.com will stop charging for its speed trap avoidance service?

To support your claim that it's a revenue raising exercise, say how much net profit is made from speeding fines?

Advertisement