Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

survey van.
    not Being smart or anything. but the White van in that photo has no markings. If it was a cop van would it not have markings on it or some form of identification.

on another note u can just about make out a worktop goin all along the passenger side in the Back if u really zoom in.

Don't make up answers if you're not sure :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Brazilmorgyn

Go safe are a money making business nothing else, and a collaboration of government and big business always ends up in a big mess, us the people of Ireland will pay in the end. It's not about speeding it's about revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

its not a camera van then or a guard van then is it. they have to have markings showing it is a camera van.

& i was trying nice when i was saying that.comment before. one min ur asking next min ur telling people
    (not making up ans chris)

its not a camera van then or a guard van then is it. they have to have markings showing it is a camera van.

& i was trying nice when i was saying that.comment before. one min ur asking next min ur telling people
    (not making up ans chris)

Sorry, I didn't mean any offence, but your answer is solely based on the fact that it has no markings. I don't think you're right to say it's a survey van.

Here are my reasons I think it's a Garda van:
    -It's a white high-roof Transit, as most Garda vans have been
    -It has some sort of electrical point on the OSR, as most Garda vans seem to have
    -It's Dublin reg, whereas the private vans all seem to be KY or similar
    -It's a 2008 reg, which was before the private speed cameras started

Also, in this post, there's a Garda van with reg 08D51257. Jimmynokia's picture is of 08D51260. My guess would be they were bought and registered as part of the same batch - i.e. bought by the Gardai.

The Gardai never operated survey vans to my knowledge.

To me they are sound reasons, but I don't work in the Gardai so I'm not going to state that I'm absolutely definite (why I qualified my post with AFAIK).

It just really grates me when people post things as fact when they're actually opinion. Apologies if you felt attacked.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

I'm sure it's too late at this stage but there was a Garda speed camera van pulled in just before the Walkinstown roundabout coming from the KCR this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

jimmynokia wrote: »
    van in that photo has no markings( IM WELL AWARE READ MY POST AGAIN)
    it has a camera in back and it does flash i see this same van nearly every day and ive stopped to see if the camera does flash,i will park right behind it next time and get another photo

Yup, its certainly the Garda van.

Yup, its certainly the Garda van.

Who cares if it's a Garda van or go safe **** heads, they are there only to make money! Nothing else. Go safe are a huge BUISNESS , they want you to speed,that's why they hide in bushes like rats.

Who cares if it's a Garda van or go safe **** heads, they are there only to make money! Nothing else. Go safe are a huge BUISNESS , they want you to speed,that's why they hide in bushes like rats.

Hide in bushes?

167827.jpg

My experience so far is that the Gardai have been pretty fair with the location of their vans. I don't think it's fair to pain all speed vans with the same brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 kayman78

where is that?? Coming out of Roundwood?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

-Chris- wrote: »
    Hide in bushes?
    My experience so far is that the Gardai have been pretty fair with the location of their vans. I don't think it's fair to pain all speed vans with the same brush.

They are visible, in areas where they know that people know that they are there.

I have come across ones you wouldn't see until you are 20m in front of them though. (I wasn't speeding anyway..)

Just downright dangerous as well where they are positioned at times. Wouldn't fixed cameras not have done the trick here?? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

They are visible, in areas where they know that people know that they are there.

I have come across ones you wouldn't see until you are 20m in front of them though. (I wasn't speeding anyway..)

Just downright dangerous as well where they are positioned at times. Wouldn't fixed cameras not have done the trick here?? :rolleyes:

I'd be with Chris on the Garda issue. The Garda vans are generally very easy to see and don't hide as much as GoSafe do. I think people really need to calm down and think before saying what van is what.
    Garda Vans:

2pq2l1d.jpg

CFC026C0218C49B0BBFC36798EE3A1D1-0000316522-0002159107-00800L-B0BFCFB93E4B41C5A5836AF495360B37.jpg

167827.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=7430&stc=1&d=1309267559

GoSafe Vans:

Irish-speed-camera-van-300.jpg

5537768227_80e4911d3a_z.jpg

5651393776_a5a911d82b.jpg

gosafe.jpg

Note: In both camps you have various degree's of markings. On the Garda side, you can have Garda written on the side or you can have absolutely nothing. GoSafe, if its going to give you a fine it will be marked up. Otherwise a survey van.
    Assumed That Every Van You See Will Give You A Fine

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Alan 1990

-Corkie- wrote: »
    NGA wrote: »
    This thread just keeps going around in circles.....

Go Safe vans cannot detect on a motorway. Only GardaÃ* can stop in a motorway.

Secondly.....Go Safe vans don't care how many speeders they detect. The limits are set by the Garda National Traffic Bureau as are the locations and the company is paid for their time....not for their detections. This is why they will never make a loss......and it's why you seen them out last winter during the ice and snow when nobody could speed.

Thank god someone posted in this thread who actually knows what they are talking about.

Couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

-Chris- wrote: »
    Sorry, I didn't mean any offence, but your answer is solely based on the fact that it has no markings. I don't think you're right to say it's a survey van.

Here are my reasons I think it's a Garda van:
    -It's a white high-roof Transit, as most Garda vans have been
    -It has some sort of electrical point on the OSR, as most Garda vans seem to have
    -It's Dublin reg, whereas the private vans all seem to be KY or similar
    -It's a 2008 reg, which was before the private speed cameras started

Also, in this post, there's a Garda van with reg 08D51257. Jimmynokia's picture is of 08D51260. My guess would be they were bought and registered as part of the same batch - i.e. bought by the Gardai.

The Gardai never operated survey vans to my knowledge.

To me they are sound reasons, but I don't work in the Gardai so I'm not going to state that I'm absolutely definite (why I qualified my post with AFAIK).

It just really grates me when people post things as fact when they're actually opinion. Apologies if you felt attacked.

ok thnx chris
    sorry as well
    (i thought i saw some where before(but cant remember) that all speed vans had to have some sort of marking cause if it challenged in court the Plantiff challenging the fine, might get away with it ).

Alan 1990 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more.

Only a matter of time before go safe can do what they want where they want wh en they want, quotas mean nothing they will lobby bent ministers for an increase in their quota and the mi busters of misery love it , more revenue, already they are softening us up for the news, Garda press office , speed vans reduce speeding over bank holiday weekend, how do they know ? It's bull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Here's a link to a map showing approximate locations of said bushes though.

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=6497

HTH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Iwannahurl wrote: »

HTH.

I think a lot of people are confusing the Go safe vans with the Garda ones that have been around for years. The Garda ones have no markings like the Go safe ones....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭T2daK

Hey on the m18 between gort and crusheen northbound i saw a garda holding a speed camera a long way away a week ago. was overtaking prob over limit but jammed the brakes after i passed the car a bit. i was still about 500m away from the gards.

my question is:

how close do you have to be to the camera to get done?

with the garda manual cameras, do they have to pull you over to do you or would you just get it out in the post like the private vans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

T2daK wrote: »
    Hey on the m18 between gort and crusheen northbound i saw a garda holding a speed camera a long way away a week ago. was overtaking prob over limit but jammed the brakes after i passed the car a bit. i was still about 500m away from the gards.

my question is:

how close do you have to be to the camera to get done?

with the garda manual cameras, do they have to pull you over to do you or would you just get it out in the post like the private vans?

They can get you from about 500M away. They dont need to stop you if it was the tripod he was using..

-Corkie- wrote: »
    They can get you from about 500M away. They dont need to stop you if it was the tripod he was using..

ya was a tripod. but think there were cars between me and him if that makes sense? was mammys car too that day uh oh...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I've seen them with the tripod on the M18 too and they'd pulled a few people in.

• Advertisement

I've seen them with the tripod on the M18 too and they'd pulled a few people in.

if they send me a fine just gonna find some way for it to be thrown out. wrong address, wrong something will be found

:confused:
    Iwannahurl wrote: »

HTH.

So what differance does it make, it's still a huge money scam, soon every road will be red with speed vans , these fines only make foreign company money, none goes back into road safety, it's sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

T2daK wrote: »
    if they send me a fine just gonna find some way for it to be thrown out. wrong address, wrong something will be found

Why not just man up and take the points and fine. Remember if you fight it based on a wrongly worded summons the judge can turn around on the day and have it resubmitted there and then and your going home with double the points and fine.

markc1184 wrote: »
    Why not just man up and take the points and fine. Remember if you fight it based on a wrongly worded summons the judge can turn around on the day and have it resubmitted there and then and your going home with double the points and fine.

cant afford it. sure not going paying the car tax now for a few months

ITS A SCAM TAX ! How much do gosafe get each year out of us, how much do they reinvest in road safety, how much do they pay their shareholders or directors? Where are the owners based, did they approach the Irish government or did we look for them, it's rat trap and we,ve been caught,

ITS A SCAM TAX ! How much do gosafe get each year out of us, how much do they reinvest in road safety, how much do they pay their shareholders or directors? Where are the owners based, did they approach the Irish government or did we look for them, it's rat trap and we,ve been caught,

Would you ever give over...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Hang on a sec folks. A tripod doesn't equal a camera. They are told to use a tripod if possible as its far more stable than handheld. The laser gun is fairly heavy and as such you'll often see them resting it against something i.e The sill of the window of the car etc (SOP I'm told)

They do have tripod mounted cameras but I've never seen one personally. They certainly are not in every car and I'd say (At a guess) there is less than 20 or so in the country. They are fairly expensive in comparison to the standalone laser gun.
    cant afford it. sure not going paying the car tax now for a few months

Then don't drive. How can you possibly afford to drive and put petrol in the car, BUT not afford car tax? Anyway, for another thread.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Hang on a sec folks. A tripod doesn't equal a camera. They are told to use a tripod if possible as its far more stable than handheld. The laser gun is fairly heavy and as such you'll often see them resting it against something i.e The sill of the window of the car etc (SOP I'm told)

They do have tripod mounted cameras but I've never seen one personally. They certainly are not in every car and I'd say (At a guess) there is less than 20 or so in the country. They are fairly expensive in comparison to the standalone laser gun.

Then don't drive. How can you possibly afford to drive and put petrol in the car, BUT not afford car tax? Anyway, for another thread.

because im moving to the big smoke in a few weeks for college and wont be driving much longer and insurance up soon :p smartipants

OK, you got him. Fair 'nuff.

Let's get back on-topic please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

But why are they on roads like the new ballycoolin Road? There are no houses, Feck all traffic, Very quiet, No kids no Schools, Never been a crash there or a death. Now in the last few weeks i have seen the van and also a manned tripod with a Marked car and Motorbike garda :mad:

Oh yes i know why..... Easy Pickings :cool:

Advertisement