Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

I saw that unmarked van this morning @ 1.30 am on the airport road hiding behind a wall where the road splits from the tunnell entrance heading to the city and the speed drops to 60. The only objective for them hiding there is to act like mobile toll booths. Thankfully the guy in front of me gave a little flash of his hazards just enough for me to slow down fom the disgraceful speed of 70 kph .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

They're sneaky b@stards alright, as if the other vans aren't rolling in enough money as it is. The fine is bad enough but the points are a pain in the @rse!! A lot of cars will give you a flash alright, fair play to them. What bugs me is all the rules and regulations for the small guy while the big shots get away with so much and bailed on every occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You mean, parked in a safe location on bend where people might go too fast?

Wouldn't always call them safe. But generally, unlike the Garda vans, your normally on top of them before they are seen. I'm contrasting between the two Garda van locations I normally pass i.e. The N11 at the UCD fly over and the above. Both arrow straight roads and easily seen, unlike the GoSafe I've come across.

This GoSafe van: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71865014&postcount=1560

Is easy to see in one direction (Be it at the end of straight in pitch darkness which is dangerous) and on a fast sweeping corner.

I have another video from the Dunmore Road, I'll post it soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Brazilmorgyn

Again I spotted this van outside mountrath, clearly a speed van, unmarked, I took photos of the front and side and rear, knocked on van door but no answer! Are these vans supposed to be clearly marked or not, it's position is in a private drive way and a person was killed back in 1981 near the spot, that's the only fatality ever near the area. 10 ky 2202 who owns this van? Is it legal. If you are fined check what vehicle it was that caught you, if not properly marked it's not legal, and no it was not a Garda van. Kerry reg and insured with axa. Have pictures Will post later. 10 KY 2202 sneaky underhanded and illegal. Sort these people out. Where are these vehicles fitted out? In Ireland or are they from outside? More waste of jobs,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

The GoSafe camera vans are marked, highly visible and manned by civilian employees. The Garda vans are unmarked, inobtrusive and manned by Gardai. You should be glad you didn't get a response because it sounds like your manner was quite threatening and you could have got yourself in bigger trouble than a speeding fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,390 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Stop going over the speed limit so, Brazilmorgyn and you won't have to worry if they are marked or not.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    The GoSafe camera vans are marked, highly visible and manned by civilian employees. The Garda vans are unmarked, inobtrusive and manned by Gardai. You should be glad you didn't get a response because it sounds like your manner was quite threatening and you could have got yourself in bigger trouble than a speeding fine.

No your wrong, it was not a Garda van, it was owned by Go safe and how do you conclude my manner was as you stated ? I checked the insurance disc details and found owner, so I was right it is an illegal van. Not marked. I presume the reason I got no answer was because they know this and avoid answering questions. 10ky2202is not a Garda van period,. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

No your wrong, it was not a Garda van, it was owned by Go safe and how do you conclude my manner was as you stated ? I checked the insurance disc details and found owner, so I was right it is an illegal van. Not marked. I presume the reason I got no answer was because they know this and avoid answering questions. 10ky2202is not a Garda van period,. Thanks
    eh, no. unmarked go safe vans survey speeds on stretches of road and do not give out points (in fact I believe they have no capability to record car registrations). I would expect to see a fully marked van in the same place soon though, and this will be dishing out points!

eh, no. unmarked go safe vans survey speeds on stretches of road and do not give out points (in fact I believe they have no capability to record car registrations). I would expect to see a fully marked van in the same place soon though, and this will be dishing out points!

Padraig , you are right, survey van it was, just found out through a contact, yes there is a marked blue fiat ducato there often, it's just a money spinner though I firmly believe.! And go safe are an English company .

callaway92 wrote: »
    Stop going over the speed limit so, Brazilmorgyn and you won't have to worry if they are marked or not.

Who said I was worried about them or I was speeding? There is a bigger picture going on here with these safety vans and go safe! And if people let them away with it, it's you and others who will end up walking, or paying fines because of a business and that's what go safe are remember , in it to make money! Check their yearly results in the uk if you don,t believe this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭kirving

How is it illegal, exaclty?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Who said I was worried about them or I was speeding? There is a bigger picture going on here with these safety vans and go safe! And if people let them away with it, it's you and others who will end up walking, or paying fines because of a business and that's what go safe are remember , in it to make money! Check their yearly results in the uk if you don,t believe this.

Whats this "bigger [icture" and how will it end up with me walking? No vague answers please, facts.

If I never speed, how can they do anything to me? or are you saying they are just going to make things up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

And go safe are an English company .

The safery camera vans are being operated by a consortium called GoSafe which includes Spectra, French firm Egis and Australian multinational Redflex, which has its Irish registered business address in Listowel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Whats this "bigger [icture" and how will it end up with me walking? No vague answers please, facts.

If I never speed, how can they do anything to me? or are you saying they are just going to make things up?
    If you drive on motorways you must have passed 120km/h at some point. Its not possible to overtake someone doing 100 in the slow lane at less than 130 or you would get hit by a car behind you.

If you drive on motorways you must have passed 120km/h at some point. Its not possible to overtake someone doing 100 in the slow lane at less than 130 or you would get hit by a car behind you.

It's very possible to pass people doing 100 in the driving lane at 120 in a 120 zone.

If you pull put and get hit then the gap wasnt there.

I never said I dont speed btw. I was using it as an example to try get a straight answer which normally doesnt happen when newish posters come ranting and raving. They usually moan a bit then disappear without answering any challenges to their posts properly.

How is it illegal, exaclty?
    mb1725 wrote: »
    The safery camera vans are being operated by a consortium called GoSafe which includes Spectra, French firm Egis and Australian multinational Redflex, which has its Irish registered business address in Listowel.
    All in business to do what? Right ! make money! What happens if they get no customers, they go out of business, so it's in their interest to entrap people by placing safety vans in places they know will get them revenue, hence the use of survey vans such as 10 KY 2202 , to see if it will pay placing a van at a location, and the fact someone got killed at a location has little relevance if it happened 20 years ago ,and now the fact is used only as an excuse to place a van at a location. It's a scam

All in business to do what? Right ! make money! What happens if they get no customers, they go out of business, so it's in their interest to entrap people by placing safety vans in places they know will get them revenue, hence the use of survey vans such as 10 KY 2202 , to see if it will pay placing a van at a location, and the fact someone got killed at a location has little relevance if it happened 20 years ago ,and now the fact is used only as an excuse to place a van at a location. It's a scam

If they get no business its because no on is speeding. How are you proposing they force peopel to speed? Which is what you seemed to be implying in your last post I quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

It's very possible to pass people doing 100 in the driving lane at 120 in a 120 zone.

If you pull put and get hit then the gap wasnt there.

I never said I dont speed btw. I was using it as an example to try get a straight answer which normally doesnt happen when newish posters come ranting and raving. They usually moan a bit then disappear without answering any challenges to their posts properly.
    The point I'm making is that even someone who never drives faster than sensible will be caught by a speed camera at 122km/h because that's how they work. I'm totally against speed cameras since a warning sign works better and is much cheaper.

The point I'm making is that even someone who never drives faster than sensible will be caught by a speed camera at 122km/h r.

No they wont. If you can show me any evidence of anyone beign done for 122 in a 120 zone here, or anythign like it, I'll empty my wallet and give you the contents.

I'm totally against speed cameras since a warning sign works better and is much cheaper.

A warning sign like what? A lollipop shaped thing with a red border and the speed your allowed travel on it? Maybe you should email the government and tell them to put them on every street.

If they get no business its because no on is speeding. How are you proposing they force peopel to speed? Which is what you seemed to be implying in your last post I quoted.
    They place vans just behind speed notification signs, on way into towns, on main roads, they hide vans , if they want us to see them why are they not bright orange like dyno rods vans for example, no they have dark blue black silver etc, why ? To deter us ? No to entrap us? It's
    a big business collecting fines, ask any accountant , but really there are so many other issues that relate to road safety other than speeding, and these are not being dealt with because they cost money, repair roads improve roads , all cost but speeding fines bring in huge revenue. Another tax on the people of Ireland, and it's only staring.

• Advertisement

They place vans just behind speed notification signs, on way into towns, on main roads, they hide vans , if they want us to see them why are they not bright orange like dyno rods vans for example, no they have dark blue black silver etc, why ? To deter us ? No to entrap us? It's a big business collecting fines, ask any accountant , but really there are so many other issues that relate to road safety other than speeding, and these are not being dealt with because they cost money, repair roads improve roads , all cost but speeding fines bring in huge revenue. Another tax on the people of Ireland, and it's only staring.

They are marked. You admitted yourself the unmarked on you are on about was a survey van.

They are marked. You admitted yourself the unmarked on you are on about was a survey van.

Do you drive ! Read what I said, the vans are not very visible and are hiding in the gates of farm yards parked on paths etc, the way they are marked is not designed to be viewed from a distance, unlike marked Garda cars etc. Reflective markings, not really, next time your out look at a van closely , it's what I said , a money making business and a scam tax. It's a private company, they really want you to stop speeding? I think not, no more than the minister does. He needs the revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Do you drive ! Read what I said, the vans are not very visible and are hiding in the gates of farm yards parked on paths etc, the way they are marked is not designed to be viewed from a distance, unlike marked Garda cars etc. Reflective markings, not really, next time your out look at a van closely , it's what I said , a money making business and a scam tax. It's a private company, they really want you to stop speeding? I think not, no more than the minister does. He needs the revenue.

I agree with this poster i was coming home the other Night from cork when i saw a Go Safe van pulled in outside some ones house on left hand side of the road a a small bit before u hit the Bad bends(quarry) before Buttervant. i would not have seen it only for i was looking @ the time.

gosafe390x285.jpg

Hardly inconspicuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

They can be pretty damn inconspicuous when they're pulled into a nice shaded area at night with no lights on. Those markings on the vans aren't reflective so it can be difficult to spot them at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Testament1 wrote: »
    They can be pretty damn inconspicuous when they're pulled into a nice shaded area at night with no lights on. Those markings on the vans aren't reflective so it can be difficult to spot them at night.

Couldn't agree more. Please, look passed the hype. This is a PRIVATE company. They ain't out their for the love of keeping the roads safe, they are out their with targets, quota's and a budget. That all equals revenue and profit. I'd put my entire net worth that they will NEVER make a loss. I'm sure the response to that would be "Well, we'll all keep them going with our speeding and lack of road knowledge" Utter rubbish. That accounts for maybe 50% of their catch. The rest is sneaky, underhand tactics. I have four videos that I'm editing now after reading this past thread.

Its two GoSafe vans versus a Garda van. Three locations and it will highlight just how sneaky these guys are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

This thread just keeps going around in circles.....

Go Safe vans cannot detect on a motorway. Only Gardaí can stop in a motorway.

Secondly.....Go Safe vans don't care how many speeders they detect. The limits are set by the Garda National Traffic Bureau as are the locations and the company is paid for their time....not for their detections. This is why they will never make a loss......and it's why you seen them out last winter during the ice and snow when nobody could speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Was comin out of Enniscorthy Thursay midday and when I saw the gosafe van, I looked down at the speedo which was at 83/84. I'm in a truck so that means I'm over by 3 or 4kmphs. I dont know if I'll get done yet but I'm already bloody annoyed coz I am Mr.Stayonthelimit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

THERE IS NO SLOW LANE.

And your post is absolute rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

NGA wrote: »
    This thread just keeps going around in circles.....

Go Safe vans cannot detect on a motorway. Only Gardaí can stop in a motorway.

Secondly.....Go Safe vans don't care how many speeders they detect. The limits are set by the Garda National Traffic Bureau as are the locations and the company is paid for their time....not for their detections. This is why they will never make a loss......and it's why you seen them out last winter during the ice and snow when nobody could speed.

Thank god someone posted in this thread who actually knows what they are talking about.

Advertisement