Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

getting faster as you get closer to it...... brave

twas 100k zone ....was well in the limits

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

twas 100k zone ....was well in the limits

ah well then you were crawling :D:D

Do the vans only measure speed out the back window or can they measure your speed from the front too?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Do the vans only measure speed out the back window or can they measure your speed from the front too?

AFAIK their camera is at the rear of their vehicle, but it can still measure the speed whether you are driving towards it or away from it. (When my mother got caught it showed a picture of the rear of the car, when I got caight it showed a picture of the front of the car).

So in the case of the pic attached, a 50k zone, even though the car is approaching from side A at maybe 58-60 k, doing less than 50 at the yellow line that is level with the back of the van, the speed van is able to detect its speed, or would it measure the speed once it enters side B where the car is doing less than 50?

VGX8nvL.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Have noticed this van being at this position now at least once a week on the N4 outbound at Palmerston.

Would think it does very good business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

yes its there a lot. Just after it goes down to 60kph from 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wexford awake

hi everyone, just wondering what is vehicle mounted puma speed detection equipment listed on the Garda website as a method of catching people for speed. Also does anyone know if the Gardai have unmarked cars with cameras that they just park at the side of the road catching people (similar to the robot transit van). Or do they only use Vans. There is a 05D registered Opel Vectra parked on the way to my local village all day Yesterday. Haven't got that close to look in etc. It is parked all day and night, no one in vehicle. Might be paranoid but i get suspicious when I see a D registered vehicle. I know Gatso vans catch at night time tooo, but do the garda robot ones do too. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Puma is used to time a car between a set distance. Its only used in motion and when the Garda car is beyond you. Its old fashion 'time and distance' measuring to calculate your speed. In the UK, you can see a similar system with white lines painted about a mile apart on the motorway in some areas.

All Garda speed detection and fining equipment is in vans, its not active in cars. Some cars do have a radar set up, but its used by Traffic Corp and feeds into the Cleartone ANPR system in the car, if they are using that, they will stop you and if required use the footage in court to prosecute. Its not a camera system for taking multiple snaps for fining multiple people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wexford awake

Thanks Iron Claw. Just being paranoid , all the gardai seem to be doing now is catching in the 50km zones. Also just wondering do those robot or gatso always have to have people manning the vans DO THEY HAVE TO by law have someone operating it, or can they just park up at the side of the road and take off.

Thanks Iron Claw. Just being paranoid , all the gardai seem to be doing now is catching in the 50km zones. Also just wondering do those robot or gatso always have to have people manning the vans DO THEY HAVE TO by law have someone operating it, or can they just park up at the side of the road and take off.

There is no law, but there will always be someone operating it. Far too risky to have a van on its own and secondly they don't stay very long. A van might only operate for 30 mins and then move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 scartboy

Does anyone now how often the Garda's online map of speed van zones is updated.

About a month or two ago, I noticed a new camera warning sign on the N71 south-bound between Ballylickey and Glengarriff in West Cork. Since I have never seen a matching sign when travelling north on that road, I was curious where the zone started and ended, so I finally got around to looking up the Garda web site today, but it doesn't show any zone in this area.

Any ideas?

Map is at garda.ie/gosafe.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

scartboy wrote: »
    Does anyone now how often the Garda's online map of speed van zones is updated.

About a month or two ago, I noticed a new camera warning sign on the N71 south-bound between Ballylickey and Glengarriff in West Cork. Since I have never seen a matching sign when travelling north on that road, I was curious where the zone started and ended, so I finally got around to looking up the Garda web site today, but it doesn't show any zone in this area.

Any ideas?

Map is at garda.ie/gosafe.htm

It'll probably be updated when they have a press event at the signing of the renewed GoSafe contract, which I believe expires this month (but has the option to be extended for another 12 months)

The GoSafe contract is coming out of the already stretched garda budget, and they do not get any money from the fines, so I although more areas might be covered, I doubt there will be any extra vans.

Just the same number of vans and hours, spread out over a bigger area.

Drove past 2 tonight, one flashed even though I wasn't speeding.

Lower Mount St

4hzbs5.jpg

Malahide Rd - Donnycarney Church

10qm4a8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

The second picture shows just how close you have to be to those things to be caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Falcon L wrote: »
    The second picture shows just how close you have to be to those things to be caught.

I don't believe it :D

If that's the case you could go double the speed limit, notice the van and slow down in time without any effort :D

shietpilot wrote: »
    I don't believe it :D

If that's the case you could go double the speed limit, notice the van and slow down in time without any effort :D
    Works for me. :D

The detection angle is 22 degrees, if you do the maths it really is that close.

I'll make it easy for you.
    http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/scol/calrtri.htm

The point of angle "A" is the back window of the van. Make Angle "A" 22 deg and side "a" the distance you estimate you are away from the kerb. (side b, straight line back from the van)

Side "c" would be the distance you are away from the back of the van.

Works for me. :D

The detection angle is 22 degrees, if you do the maths it really is that close.

I'll make it easy for you.
    http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/scol/calrtri.htm

The point of angle "A" is the back window of the van. Make Angle "A" 22 deg and side "a" the distance you estimate you are away from the kerb. (side b, straight line back from the van)

Side "c" would be the distance you are away from the back of the van.

Makes sense I guess.

Here's what I found on another forum:
    The new Gosafe are using 24Ghz radar
    You can actually see it built into the housing. The system itself is a Redflex Radar cam.
    The older white Garda van use radar also, (Multinova Robots) - but the majority of traffic corps if not all use laser - (Hand held/tripod mounted system)

Laser being harder to detect - but not effective in rain, snow or fog.
    The new Gosafe vans use radar which used to be easier to detect, but they use off-axis radar which means the beam is not being sent miles down the road, its actually sent across the road, giving people with detectors less warning.

Also, Gosafe fitted a small red strobe onto the back of the roof of the vans about 3 months ago - this flashes when a car/van passes regardless of the speed. The camera in the Gosafe vans use infrared at night - the infrared flash is mounted in the window/box thing on the back right of the rear window.

So your 22 degree theory makes sense :)

shietpilot wrote: »
    Makes sense I guess.

Here's what I found on another forum:

So your 22 degree theory makes sense :)
    It's not a theory. 22 degrees is the detection angle. This has been confirmed by operators.:)

• Advertisement

Question is why did it flash? At no point on that stretch of road did I exceed the 50kmph speed limit.

For what it's worth it seems to be an IR flash as I didn't I only saw it when I played back the footage.

I've archived the footage and gps files just incase.

Question is why did it flash? At no point on that stretch of road did I exceed the 50kmph speed limit.

For what it's worth it seems to be an IR flash as I didn't I only saw it when I played back the footage.

I've archived the footage and gps files just incase.
    My understanding is that they capture everything and process the information back at HQ. Anything that needs action is sent on to the next stage. Anything that is under the limit is ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

That's the fact - gosafe harvesters shoot everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

You really failed the observation test if they catch you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Unless it wasn't flashing you.. :confused:
    Another car further behind perhaps

PeteK* wrote: »
    Unless it wasn't flashing you.. :confused:
    Another car further behind perhaps

The car would be too far away or tailgating him then :rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's not a theory. 22 degrees is the detection angle. This has been confirmed by operators.:)

This is correct. A rule of thumb would be 2.5 times the width of the road. That's the distance, from the rear doors, that you would be in the 'danger zone'
    joujoujou wrote: »
    That's the fact - gosafe harvesters shoot everything.

Correct. They flash everything that passes, I have confirmed this on my own runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

So I was on the N11 last night doing 65+ according to the speedometer in a 60 zone. I failed to notice the GoSafe van as I was admiring the 161 reg car on the outer lane :o and it was only then they put on the breaks that I noticed the GoSafe van. I was roughly here when I started to slow down with the GoSafe van at he blue sign in the distance. There was two cars on the outer lane both doing faster than me and slightly ahead of me as I could see the break lights on the second of the two cars.

What are the odds that I was caught speeding?

• Advertisement

@not1but4, slim. But impossible to say conclusively with video etc. I'd rest easy if it was me. Sounds counter intuitive but in that situation with a parallel car you are better to stay in line with them.

Advertisement