Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

you were really close to it, I alway thought it could catch you a lot further away.

Nope, they operate at very short range.
    In fact, the wide angle lens on the dash cam, probably makes it look further away, than is actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 nick240v

passing one of the vans this morning and there was a flash from the rear of the van but wasnt speeding..... does anyone know why it would flash ?

the operator could be just calibrating and testing prior to set up - they do this in UK

from your footage it looks like you have nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭tonic wine

Do all speed vans flash at night if they take a picture of your car if speeding?
    If you see no flash, might one have got managed to slow down enough on approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The_Bot

Similar to the above post, if you are close to passing a Garda speed van (not go-safe) in the evening time and there is a small red flash does that mean you are caught? Or do they red flash all cars that pass but only process the speeding cars?

That seems to be the case from reading through this thread but posts on this particular topic are old. I was in a 50 zone and I'm pretty sure I was at 50 or just slightly above on my speedometer.

There was a car right behind me as well.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The_Bot

The_Bot wrote: »
    Similar to the above post, if you are close to passing a Garda speed van (not go-safe) in the evening time and there is a small red flash does that mean you are caught? Or do they red flash all cars that pass but only process the speeding cars?

That seems to be the case from reading through this thread but posts on this particular topic are old. I was in a 50 zone and I'm pretty sure I was at 50 or just slightly above on my speedometer.

There was a car right behind me as well.

Cheers.

Hoping for an answer bump

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

GoSafe flash every car that passes. I would assume the the Garda ones are the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

370 new locations to be targeted by mobile speed cameras, according to the Irish Times:
    More than 300 new locations, the majority on local and regional roads, are to be targeted by mobile speed cameras, and local authorities have been asked to identify additional accident black spots.

The review is being carried out by An Garda Síochána and the National Roads Authority.

The number of existing active camera zones is 727 across the country’s roads and while 50 existing locations are being removed, some 370 new locations are being identified, a meeting of Kerry County Council was told on Monday.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/370-new-locations-to-be-targeted-by-mobile-speed-cameras-1.2216974

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    370 new locations to be targeted by mobile speed cameras, according to the Irish Times:

The 50 that are being removed are probably zones that were never used

When the new locations are published, there will be a lot in city and town areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Oh, also meant to say,

The new radar cams that GoSafe will be rolling out, are dual radar.

This will allow them to use locations that currently aren't suitable for their current tech.

The new dual radar cams will also allow for pics with multiple cars to be used, currently if there is more than one car in the pIc it is discarded.

Edit:

http://www.redflex.com/images/pdf/ttidualradar.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

So, a few more locations to remember, but otherwise busines as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭xabi

Anyone know if the fixed speed camera southbound on the M1 around J12 is in operation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 NoodlesNToast

Seeing as this is the internet, I have heard lots of mixed opinions on "being caught" by speed cameras, so I thought I would tell my story, and hopefully someone can clarify whether or not I will receive a notice in the post.

I was on the motorway doing around 140kph, probably slightly below, but I was over the limit anyway. I pass a Garda who was operating a tripod device. His van was parked on the hard shoulder with the door open. I could not see any other Gardai. It was a grand stretch of motorway, and I slowed down probably around 200m before I passed, not that matters, as he would have clocked me before I realised he was there.

I know that the Traffic Corps operate in pairs to validate the speeding record, and that the alternative is an automated camera that does not require a manned presence. I thought it was strange that there was only a single Garda.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, or can anyone tell me what they think the outcome will be.

Needless to say, I shouldnt have been speeding, and I dont on regular roads, but its the motorways lads. 140/120 hardly makes a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

@NoodlesNToast, you are going to have to be more specific.

Van - Make and model? If its a Ford Transit then its likely to be a Speed camera van. Ford Connect, then No.
    Door Open - Rear door or side door?
    Garda - What was he doing?

Sounds to me like he was setting up the system as their is a tripod like device required for the GoSafe calibration and An Garda likely have the same procedures. I can't say for sure as the Garda fleet is a shade mixed when it comes to technology.

If a Traffic Corp Garda takes your speed from a tripod, he's going to stop you. And its likely a Garda won't use a tripod on the motorway as they'll have to give chase as opposed to step out and ask you to stop. Camera tripod mounted set ups are exceptionally rare worldwide and in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

ironclaw wrote: »
    And its likely a Garda won't use a tripod on the motorway as they'll have to give chase as opposed to step out and ask you to stop. Camera tripod mounted set ups are exceptionally rare worldwide and in Ireland.

I spotted Gardai doing that exact kind of a stop on the M11 before. It looked unsafe to me to say the least.

I'm nearly sure that it was a Transit. I realise that they are Speed vans, but that is what is strange. They are usually unmanned with all the equipment set up inside, right? I don't know why he would have to remove the tripod, and set it up on the side of the road, and then continue to operate it himself?

It was the back doors open.

The Gard was just standing at the tripod, looking down the yoke, I think. I doubt he was just setting it up.

My guess would be that the tripod is linked to the rest of the system in the van?

Thanks for the replies anyway. I appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,672 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Whatever about camped out at the side of the motorway, this recent-ish trend I've noticed of them sitting up on the on-ramp so you don't see them at all as you pass is an accident waiting to happen.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I spotted Gardai doing that exact kind of a stop on the M11 before. It looked unsafe to me to say the least.

What did it look like to you? Was he accompanied by another Garda

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

What did it look like to you? Was he accompanied by another Garda

1 patrol car, 1 Tripod, 2 cops.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    1 patrol car, 1 Tripod, 2 cops.

Ye, that makes sense to me. They need the 2 guys so that one can verify in court. Mine was a van and 1 guy and tripod. Whether that is a bad sign or not, I'm not sure.

• Advertisement

I'm nearly sure that it was a Transit. I realise that they are Speed vans, but that is what is strange. They are usually unmanned with all the equipment set up inside, right? I don't know why he would have to remove the tripod, and set it up on the side of the road, and then continue to operate it himself?

It was the back doors open.

The Gard was just standing at the tripod, looking down the yoke, I think. I doubt he was just setting it up.

My guess would be that the tripod is linked to the rest of the system in the van?

Thanks for the replies anyway. I appreciate it.

The vans are manned. The back doors open means he was calibrating with the tripod. Its part of the process regarding angles, distances etc. When done, they pack up the tripod and sit there snapping away happily.

He was setting up, you could have past at 200km/h and it wouldn't have mattered. Sleep easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Ye, that makes sense to me. They need the 2 guys so that one can verify in court. Mine was a van and 1 guy and tripod. Whether that is a bad sign or not, I'm not sure.

Where are you getting this idea from? It's nonsense.

Plenty of speed checks are conducted by a single Garda using a handheld radar unit. There's no requirement whatsoever for a 2nd Garda to be present

blackwhite wrote: »

Plenty of speed checks are conducted by a single Garda using a handheld radar unit. There's no requirement whatsoever for a 2nd Garda to be present

Whilst there is no requirement, its marginally easier to contest in court if its only a single Garda. You'll probably still lose, but I'd probably take my chances with a decent solicitor if I was stopped by a single Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

blackwhite wrote: »

Probably stems from a misinterpretation of Sect 81.5
    (5) In proceedings for an offence referred to in subsection (1), if proof of the offence involves proof of the speed at which a person (whether the accused or another person) was driving, the uncorroborated evidence of one witness stating his opinion as to that speed shall not be accepted as proof of that speed.
    This only applies when someone forms the opinion you're speeding as opposed to having measured you speeding. None of the witnesses need to be Gardaí, 2 or more civilians coming to the same opinion can be enough.

A measurement taken by a single Garda (or an authorised agent of the Gardaí i.e. GoSafe) is admissible proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

xabi wrote: »
    Anyone know if the fixed speed camera southbound on the M1 around J12 is in operation?

The camera at J12 isn't there any more, it seems to have been taken down in the last week. Woohoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Zcott wrote: »
    The camera at J12 isn't there any more, it seems to have been taken down in the last week. Woohoo!

Same with the 2 on the N3, gonzo.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭ccull123

can anyone tell me how long does it typically take for a fine to be sent in the post from gosafe?

ccull123 wrote: »
    can anyone tell me how long does it typically take for a fine to be sent in the post from gosafe?

A week to 10 days is the average.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I've yet to travel between Dublin and Leitrim without encountering one of these

356298.JPG

356299.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

getting faster as you get closer to it...... brave

Advertisement