Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Jesus i hope your right! I'm sick about it all day.... i wouldn't mind only i never go over the speed limit and to get points and a fine over 4 or 5kph would be fairly bad! They 100% don't record until they're inside the van with the door's closed? I can't deny I'll be worried until a few weeks pass :(

I can categorically guarantee you if the operator was outside with a tripod etc and the doors open, you are absolutely grand. Sleep easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭terrarev

I got caught by the speed van going past Liffey Valley towards the M50 where it drops from 80kmph to 60 kmph. It was 11am on a Sunday morning with very light traffic. I was going 81kmph. That just felt more like a money making exercise than am exercise in road safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Motorists sticking to the speed limit didn't feel anything. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Infracted

Well I meet no enforcement today as per usual but Ill admit it did slow me down. Back to the normal tomorrow of slowing before the usual spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Scirpt

There were guards parked (not with a van) with some sort of handheld camera on a tripod today that caught me speeding. I thought they have to be in vans (either garda or gosafe). Could I get penalty points from this? I heard before that they have to follow you and only gosafe vans and garda vans post you a fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Scirpt wrote: »
    There were guards parked (not with a van) with some sort of handheld camera on a tripod today

That was a Laser gun on a tripod.. not a camera
    I thought they have to be in vans (either garda or gosafe).

How was anyone caught before gatso /robot/ gosafe cameras ?
    Could I get penalty points from this? I heard before that they have to follow you and only gosafe vans and garda vans post you a fine.

Well... were you stopped ?

If you weren't stopped then they decided that you werent too much over the limit, or for whatever reason (other cars in the way etc) they didnt register your speed.

GardaSpeedCheck.jpg
    LTI 2020 speed gun on a tripod

9a352617ce3aa791dae8cf57edecc2e1.wix_mp_1024
    Newer laser gun Lti Ultralyte

both are speed guns, NOT CAMERAS

if you look at the second pic.. the top lens is what the cop looks thru.
    The second lens, transmits the laser signal
    The Third lens , receives the laser signal that has bounced off your car and reflected back to the gun.

THERE IS NO CAMERA LENS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

You were caught speeding. There are penalty points for this offence. I'm not sure what the question is?

mikeecho wrote: »
    That was a Laser gun on a tripod.. not a camera

How was anyone caught before gatso /robot/ gosafe cameras ?

Well... were you stopped ?

If you weren't stopped then they decided that you werent too much over the limit, or for whatever reason (other cars in the way etc) they didnt register your speed.

GardaSpeedCheck.jpg
    LTI 2020 speed gun on a tripod

9a352617ce3aa791dae8cf57edecc2e1.wix_mp_1024
    Newer laser gun Lti Ultralyte

both are speed guns, NOT CAMERAS

if you look at the second pic.. the top lens is what the cop looks thru.
    The second lens, transmits the laser signal
    The Third lens , receives the laser signal that has bounced off your car and reflected back to the gun.

THERE IS NO CAMERA LENS
    I wasn't stopped. So will I receive penalty points and a fine in the post or not?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I wasn't stopped. So will I receive penalty points and a fine in the post or not?

Not stopped, grand. Got away with it this time. Sleep easy.
    With the hair dryer they have to stop you and issue the ticket there and then.

Not stopped, grand. Got away with it this time. Sleep easy.
    With the hair dryer they have to stop you and issue the ticket there and then.

It wasn't a hair dryer. It was the speed camera that was posted above.

• Advertisement

bidiots wrote: »
    You were caught speeding. There are penalty points for this offence. I'm not sure what the question is?

The question is, is it a crime if you're not caught? If no, cool. If yes, even better, the perfect crime! Even better than smoking in the pub.

It wasn't a hair dryer. It was the speed camera that was posted above.

Yeo, no camera, they have to stop you.

The question is, is it a crime if you're not caught? If no, cool. If yes, even better, the perfect crime! Even better than smoking in the pub.

But I might be caught, that's what I'm unsure of!

Yeo, no camera, they have to stop you.

Oh I see, interesting. Well I'll let you guys know if I do end up getting points/fine. Generally how long does it take to receive it in the post?

Can anyone else confirm just for my peace of mind that these speed lasers/cameras can't issue a find/points by post. I've read that if they are on a tripod the Guards don't have to stop you and just post you the fine and points.

Can anyone else confirm just for my peace of mind that these speed lasers/cameras can't issue a find/points by post. I've read that if they are on a tripod the Guards don't have to stop you and just post you the fine and points.

The Gardai do have limited access to the camera system that attaches to the tripod. Its extremely rare, to the extent I've never seen one and its been so long since I've heard of one in use they may no longer be part of the fleet. Whilst no one can confirm it wasn't in use, I'd say the chance of it are slim (As in 0.1%)

I'd rest easy. Gardai always pull over people they catch from handheld or tripod mounted systems. Usually in pairs, one Garda conducting the check, the other pulling people in.

:)

The Gards love to have a chat, it breaks up their day. Also, they get to use phrases like "Is this your mechanically propelled vahicle" and "Have you any idea how fasht you where going? Cause I forgot to write it down". :P;)
    So, if they don't stop you, you should be fine. This statement backed by the usual internet/bloke down the pub guarantee.

Thanks guys, I'm just terribly worried. The road where I was speeding is a complete straight which should really be a 100 zone but is 80. You regularly see people doing 120-140 on it so hopefully they were just searching for bigger fish to fry, if that's the case then fair play to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

New loophole uncovered in Go Safe prosecutions
    A case was struck out at Castlebar District Court after defending solicitor Evan O’Dwyer successfully argued that there needed to be a witness before the court who could give evidence that the FCN was created, before being sent to the accused.
    While there is a presumption in the Road Traffic Act that the fixed-charge notice is sent to the accused, evidence needs to be before the court about how the fixed-charge notice is generated or created. If a garda is prosecuting the case, he or she is usually able to give that evidence.
    Judge Mary Devins struck the case out, creating another legal conundrum for Go Safe prosecutions throughout the country. It would appear that GoSafe employees in the company’s processing centre in Thurles will need to attend courts around the country to give this evidence, unless the Government can find a way to close this loophole.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Would you be able to argue in court that these GoSafe vans are too close to the speed limit sign where the speed limit lowers/raises?

My mother got caught before by one - the van was parked about 10 metres from the speed limit sign where the speed goes from 100km/h down to 50km/h.

A few weeks ago I got caught and the van was also parked right where the speeed limit goes from 60km/h down to 50km/h.

I remember someone brought a case like this to court (in Clare back in September, if I remember corrctly) but I never actually heard the outcome.

• Advertisement

Would you be able to argue in court that these GoSafe vans are too close to the speed limit sign where the speed limit lowers/raises?

My mother got caught before by one - the van was parked about 10 metres from the speed limit sign where the speed goes from 100km/h down to 50km/h.

A few weeks ago I got caught and the van was also parked right where the speeed limit goes from 60km/h down to 50km/h.

I remember someone brought a case like this to court (in Clare back in September, if I remember corrctly) but I never actually heard the outcome.

The counter argument will be that you must be at the new speed limit by the time you pass the sign i.e. The distance form the sign to the van plus the distance from which you can see the sign is the distance you have to slow down.

I'm not aware of anywhere where you go from 100km/h to 50km/h without an intermediate limit, in addition to a sight line where changing to that speed would not be possible.

I, anecdotally heard, they must be 100m after a speed limit change. This is not legislated however.

ironclaw wrote: »
    The counter argument will be that you must be at the new speed limit by the time you pass the sign i.e. The distance form the sign to the van plus the distance from which you can see the sign is the distance you have to slow down.

I'm not aware of anywhere where you go from 100km/h to 50km/h without an intermediate limit, in addition to a sight line where changing to that speed would not be possible.

I, anecdotally heard, they must be 100m after a speed limit change. This is not legislated however.

The road in particular is the N75 road to Thurles (better known as the Twomileborris to Thurles road). It is 100km/h the whole way in that road and then there is a slight bend and the limit goes straight down to 50km/h. Usually, when they are there, they are either parked at the entrance of an old factory which is practically right at the sign.. And then there usual second spot is approx. 25 metres from the sign where there is an area for parking.

I am aware that you should be doing the speed limit at the moment when you pass the sign - but dropping from 100km/h down to 50km/h just after a bend - it will cause a crash, especially if you see one of these vans as you are really trying not to get caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

Is this the spot? https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.677836,-7.790138,3a,75y,293.23h,81.27t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sJU51bzGJdiK8DQZRuUZnAg!2e0
    You can see that it's 100km/h on one side of the signs and 50 on the other, so it does halve shortly after a blind bend.

They actually park in the factory entrance right behind the signs?!

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    Is this the spot? https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.677836,-7.790138,3a,75y,293.23h,81.27t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sJU51bzGJdiK8DQZRuUZnAg!2e0
    You can see that it's 100km/h on one side of the signs and 50 on the other, so it does halve shortly after a blind bend.

They actually park in the factory entrance right behind the signs?!

Yep thats the spot. I have only seen the GoSafe vans there a small number of times but I often see Garda cars or unmarked vehicles with the camera clearly in the back parked there. My own mother along with a lot of others who travel on that road got caught. One woman in particular managed to get 9 points in the space of an hour!

On Friday last there was an unmarked Transit van parked just after the enterance (where the parked cars are at to the right) and you could see someone in the back of the van and a camera set up pointing out the rear window. Surely it cant be legal to be that close to the sign, since the speed is reducing dramatically?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 nick240v

ha - I was working in Thurles last weekend

In the Uk they also site the vans just after a limit change and in fairness you have to be at the limit by the time it changes - I'm pretty sure your vans will calibrate and zap within the limit too.

Your comment about braking from 100 to 50 causing a crash doesn't make much sense - you can see the 50 in time to be honest - if you can't slow by then without crashing then you shouldn't be driving.

Try pulling out of Ronaynes carpark with some idiot doing 80 plus down that road...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

passing one of the vans this morning and there was a flash from the rear of the van but wasnt speeding..... does anyone know why it would flash ?

Here's the van flashing me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Here's the van flashing me.....

Was that an IR flash, or a regular flash ?

pa990 wrote: »
    Was that an IR flash, or a regular flash ?

i dont know, i didnt notice it flash as i passed it was only on the playback i saw the flash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

you were really close to it, I alway thought it could catch you a lot further away.

Advertisement