Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Yeah, I had a post in here around the end of July and it's gone.
    2 different threads showing up now

This one we are on now 1) Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

And this one
    2) Speed cameras in Ireland - a guide

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Aston martin

hi Falcon , could you look at a picture , 3 vehicles in picture think you will find interesting thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭mikeecho

hi Falcon , could you look at a picture , 3 vehicles in picture think you will find interesting thank you

Put the pic up here.

Hi Falcon , Mikeecho Go Safe ...

Hi Falcon , Mikeecho , GO Safe

Please Find picture my car is going out of town in the middle
    There is a bus undertaking me and there is a white van speeding into town, same side as Go Safe van van heading for back of Go safe van

You can see my rear reflectors lit up with the infar red flash and the front indicator of van lit up as well in the same picture , Van is about 9 ft closer to the Go Safe Van and about 3 to 4 ft between my car and speeding VAN , when you look at Co Ordinates its right between my car and van

Warning in the Radar manual says false reading can happen if point at building or metal object .

I knew the Go Safe van was there as I had just passed it a few minutes earlier

I was unsure was it 50 or 30 zone
    so I was doing 30 driving

Go safe say I was doing 63KPH This was the speed of the van
    I was in lunch time traffic
    I have over 40 years driving some years over 25,000 km driving never caught for speeding never crashed thank goodness..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

How do people read the plates off those pics :O

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

There is a bus undertaking me and there is a white van speeding into town, same side as Go Safe van van heading for back of Go safe van

You can see my rear reflectors lit up with the infar red flash and the front indicator of van lit up as well in the same picture , Van is about 9 ft closer to the Go Safe Van and about 3 to 4 ft between my car and speeding VAN , when you look at Co Ordinates its right between my car and van

Warning in the Radar manual says false reading can happen if point at building or metal object .

I have over 40 years driving some years over 25,000 km driving never caught for speeding never crashed thank goodness..
    With the Garda handheld devices the van would register a positive speed figure and the car would register a negative figure. If this is the same with the Go Safe vans, there is no way to mix up the speed readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

So, the radar in these systems are complex and can track multiple objects, it's therefore aware of the bus, your car and the van. I'm not sure where you are getting the 9ft from, your rear tyre and the van's front are level, assuming you used the dashed center line as marker. Are you referring to the bus? Then yes, that's probably 9 ft ahead of you.

Therefore, you and the bus would have entered the radar zone first, then the van. So it's more likely you or the bus set off the radar, as the van would not have entered the frame yet. The bus is ahead of you, and assuming there is no stop, it would have to be moving faster than you.

If it was me, I'd probably chance my arm in court and argue the bus set it off. Given there are three vehicles in the pciture, I think its reasonable grounds for reasonable doubt.

All that said, I'm not a solicitor so you'll need to weigh up the costs of fighting it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Surely I'm not the only one who thought that was a photo from the 1950s?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

antodeco wrote: »
    Surely I'm not the only one who thought that was a photo from the 1950s?

I just thought someone had been drinking.

• Advertisement

Thanks Ironclaw, I had a Road enginer measure up the road he got readings from lamp post road markings and where the Van was parked and he says van is 9 ft closer to the Go Safe van ,

The bus was under taking me and no bus stop there

The two AGD radars can track up to 8 cars in either direction

And measure at about 400 times a second

The radars can be set up wrong

As lanes can be set up 1.2,3,4

or 4,,3,2,1

Or they can exclude a lane like a bus lane

The the two AGD radars have One speed Radar and one tracking radar

Also AGD calibrate their own radars not Indpendent

As you know you can’t be found innocent unless you can prove the radars weren’t working right

Again an impossible task :::

Also AGD calibrate their own radars not Indpendent

As you know you can’t be found innocent unless you can prove the radars weren’t working right

You may already know this, but in Ireland you can't base a defence on calibration or proper working order. There is no onus for the equipment to be calibrated or proven to be in working order. It's in the statue, unfortunately.

Your only defense as I see it, and again I'm not a lawyer, is for a judge to consider that there are three objects in the photo and it's reasonable to assume the radar could have been tracking either one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

I'd advise you to request a cancellation based on multiple vehicle speeds being measured at the same time. The photo is taken at the exact moment the speed is measured.

https://www.garda.ie/en/Roads-Policing/Fixed-Charge-Notices/Cancelling-Fixed-Charge-Notices.html

It should fall into category A cancellation.

Where there is a detection issue / material error in relation to the alleged offence as outlined on the FCN e.g. incorrect speed limit.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

ironclaw wrote: »
    You may already know this, but in Ireland you can't base a defence on calibration or proper working order.

I know its not actually worth it but is it possible for something like this to be taken to europe and fight Irish law on it?

Seems so wrong that the equipment does not have to be calibrated

tcawley29

your completely right, how fair is it that you cant be found innocent not lawful , and you get two extra points because you say you'r innocent. original you could say you didn't get the ticket and more than 250,000 got off . But nobody can get off if innocent as the judge cant find you innocent as the law states the radars are always working right. Where is your constitutional Irish /EU rights to innocents till proven guilty .. The Garda are hiding a lot, it will be interesting if it all comes out, suppose nothing different that the misrepenting they did about the 2 million breath test, or over 20 million they wasted trying to stop/silence a real policeman Maurice McCabe a true Irishman from telling the truth about the Garda not doing their jobs, you couldn't make up the ex commissioner who lost over 12 mobile phones wonder why he lost so many tax payers phones ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

What would happen if Aston martin had a dash cam that recorded the Speedlimit also via GPS. If he presented video evidence look at me here at this time and date, look at the white VW Van and Dublin Bus and there I am obeying the speed limit.

Looking at this is making me want to upgrade my own dashcam with a huge D card and dump and save the video footage on say a six month loop.

tcawley29 wrote: »
    I know its not actually worth it but is it possible for something like this to be taken to europe and fight Irish law on it?

Seems so wrong that the equipment does not have to be calibrated

If you have the pockets, go for it. I'm sure a lot of people would put up some money to fund it to be honest. As I said, I'm not a legal expert so I don't know the exact path you'd need to take. But it's not going to be cheap.
    theguzman wrote: »
    What would happen if Aston martin had a dash cam that recorded the Speedlimit also via GPS. If he presented video evidence look at me here at this time and date, look at the white VW Van and Dublin Bus and there I am obeying the speed limit.

You'd need a legally verifiable system, so a system that hashes or otherwise signs the data incase of tampering. They are not cheap and they need to be verified for the juristriction they operate in. You could chance your arm with a dash cam but a good solicitor will be able to create reasonable doubt.

And even then, it's up to the judge on the day to even accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭the 12 th man

(Long story cut short)

I had a similar issue a few years back,knew the speed van was there and was below the speed limit and yet got a ticket-which should have gone to another car.

When I queried it they sent me a photo of myself driving towards the speed van.
    There was a lot of numbers and symbols around the perimeter of the photo,the symbol on the top was an arrow pointing away from the photo below it which indicated the speed was attributable to the car going the other way (away from the speed van).

The fine was cancelled.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Guys , all very helpfully , I will update you on how I get on.. will be interesting how it goes..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Hi all quick question,

Was coming home tonight mistakenly thought the road I was on was 60, however was doing around 54km on the gps on my dashcam (car was around 56kmish).

Once I saw the van I started to slow down, about 170 meters away from it. Is it still my understanding that the danger zone is roughly 22 degrees from the camera in the van?

Heres a picture of the van and where I slowed down on google maps:

The speed van is the red circle parked on the left facing me coming towards it, I'm the blue circle.

Slightly worried now as I never speed but rarely take that road out of Waterford and forgot that section is a 50.

Was also pitch dark so didnt see him till I got to there :o

attachment.php?attachmentid=526562&stc=1&d=1600296583

• Advertisement

SweetCaliber , Yes your right two radars at 22 degrees if its a Go Safe Van. The Radars point out the back door
    where you approving his back door ? I think you would be very un lucky to have been caught from the details supplied

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

SweetCaliber , Yes your right two radars at 22 degrees if its a Go Safe Van. The Radars point out the back door
    where you approving his back door ? I think you would be very un lucky to have been caught from the details supplied

Yeah was approaching the back door, dropped speed about 170 meters out when I saw him, always have a tendency to hit the brakes when I see them :o

you can work it out your self , use a protractor from where the van was parked at 22 degrees its short range .. once your within its range your caught as in 1 second it with have taken nearly 400 readings on your car.. I think your ok , hope so

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Alan260279

Anyone any idea how close to the go safe van do you have to be before it’s catch’s you cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Alan260279 wrote: »
    Anyone any idea how close to the go safe van do you have to be before it’s catch’s you cheers

Use the search thread function it will show u then all the answers for what u asked straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭The_Kitty

Passed a speed van this morning in 100km/hr zone. According to my gps the max I could have been going is 105km/hr when I saw it. Immediately braked but I was only a few car lenghts away from it. Is it likely I'll get a ticket? I hear there are no tolerances?

Where you heading towards back door of the van , or towards front with it on your right, if you were doing 105 on car speedo you should be ok .. if you do get a ticket ask them for the full evidence which you are fully entitled to

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cummins138

Hi

I was on the motorway last night. I was probably 10-20kph over the speed limit. I passed a speed van with rear door towards me, with the rear doors open and the tripod outside. I couldn't see any operator.
    Reckon I'm caught or got lucky and he wasn't recording? I heard before that the tripod has to be inside and doors closed.

Either way, it's made me slow down for sure. Won't be taking any chances from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭The_Kitty

Cummins138 wrote: »
    Hi

I was on the motorway last night. I was probably 10-20kph over the speed limit. I passed a speed van with rear door towards me, with the rear doors open and the tripod outside. I couldn't see any operator.
    Reckon I'm caught or got lucky and he wasn't recording? I heard before that the tripod has to be inside and doors closed.

Either way, it's made me slow down for sure. Won't be taking any chances from now on.

It is possible for the camera to be running but more likely they were setting up or packing up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Cummins138

The_Kitty wrote: »
    It is possible for the camera to be running but more likely they were setting up or packing up.

Also do those cameras have to flash at night time? There was no lights on or anything

Advertisement