Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Iwannahurl wrote: »

So you won't answer the question then.
    Same as always, deflection and whataboutery just so you can soapbox. And a refusal to acknowledge that the locations of Go Safe vans may not always be optimal.

It's a simple yes/no question.

If you aren't able to assess the circumstances and make a judgement yourself then you are either blinkered or trolling.....

I wonder if you'd give the same answers if face to face with the families of the numerous people killed along that stretch of road over the last 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

This just goes round and around.

Really. .. Can we just move on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Quote please.

Ok, I'm going with Mark Twain:

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

I passed a Garda car this evening on the M7, it was parked on one of those Garda only raised sections, I was going about 125 - 130 but they didn't flinch. I'm wondering do they use cameras or just the laser gun where they have to actually stop you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

xabi wrote: »
    I passed a Garda car this evening on the M7, it was parked on one of those Garda only raised sections, I was going about 125 - 130 but they didn't flinch. I'm wondering do they use cameras or just the laser gun where they have to actually stop you.

They will in 99% of cases stop you, otherwise you are grand. Laser with camera do exist but are extremely rare in this country and I've never seen them in operation.

Btw, at 130km/h on your speedo, you were probably only doing a real speed of 117 to 123km/h. Speedo's are generally 5 to 10% off in the upper range. Gardai are usually looking for the lads doing 140km/h+ as on their speedo they will be 'well over'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Speed cam on the malahide road before Donnycarney Church

- Right place to have one, no disputing that

298375.jpg

techdiver wrote: »
    Judge Durcan told Insp O’Sullivan that Mr Bennett [GoSafe Driver] “doesn’t know what vehicle” went by. “What evidence do I have for the picture that is taken and downloaded? There has to be a clear chain of evidence.”

Really interesting. I hope someone finally brings all this as high as it can go. The laws as they stand are ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

techdiver wrote: »

Judge Durcan used to be a County Councillor in Mayo. Leopards and spots?

TAOISEACH Enda Kenny last night appointed his former four-time running mate, local party strategist and member of the Fine Gael board of directors as a District Court judge.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/kenny-appoints-former-running-mate-as-a-judge-26788018.html

I'm sorry, I don't get it.
    If a car going past a van is recorded to be breaking the speedlimit, what difference does it make if the guy in the van is on facebook or twitter?
    And mentioning the Dandy or Beano just goes to show that the judge is about 30 years out of touch with "dem modren computhers" and from my point of view about as qualified as Peig Sayers to make decisions on that topic.
    He obviously doesn't understand the basic principle of an automated process, i.e. one that works whether you sit there staring at it or not.
    If he expects the guy sitting in there to record ever speeding car on a notebook as well, he is obviously a few sandwiches short of a picnic.
    Leaving the whole for and against speed cameras out of the picture, the judge has decided "Ah Jaysus, I don't like dem speed cameras" and has thrown his toys out of the pram, whilst completely ignoring the law, reality and sanity altogether.
    I rule this judge is most likely demented and drunk and should be removed from the bench, but really, he is just a prime example of the typical, hopped up, deluded, insane small time Irish district court judge.
    He belongs in the Irish RM, but not behind a bench.
    Someone drag this guy into the 20th century, nevermind the 21st...

• Advertisement

I'm sorry, I don't get it.
    If a car going past a van is recorded to be breaking the speedlimit, what difference does it make if the guy in the van is on facebook or twitter?
    And mentioning the Dandy or Beano just goes to show that the judge is about 30 years out of touch with "dem modren computhers" and from my point of view about as qualified as Peig Sayers to make decisions on that topic.
    He obviously doesn't understand the basic principle of an automated process, i.e. one that works whether you sit there staring at it or not.
    If he expects the guy sitting in there to record ever speeding car on a notebook as well, he is obviously a few sandwiches short of a picnic.
    Leaving the whole for and against speed cameras out of the picture, the judge has decided "Ah Jaysus, I don't like dem speed cameras" and has thrown his toys out of the pram, whilst completely ignoring the law, reality and sanity altogether.
    I rule this judge is most likely demented and drunk and should be removed from the bench, but really, he is just a prime example of the typical, hopped up, deluded, insane small time Irish district court judge.
    He belongs in the Irish RM, but not behind a bench.
    Someone drag this guy into the 20th century, nevermind the 21st...

While agree the base argument is unrealistic, the operator isn't going to have his pencil and pen ready for every car, the chain of evidence does have a major flaw in this country. There is no requirement for them (GoSafe or an Garda) that the equipment they use is fully functional and calibrated. Thats lunacy in this day and age.

So my argument is whilst automation is perfectly ok in my book, no proof of calibration for the device or even certification of the operator is not. With that case, I could just add a line of code to my software to: Speed = Speed + 5, and I'd capture a lot more people. Happy days. And there would be no onus on me to explain it. The law needs to be updated. Equipment needs certification and this should be provided to the motorist in a summons and at the side of the road. Teletraffic, the people who make the Garda Laser gun, actual advise daily calibration. I doubt this is ever conducted.

^^^^
    I do agree with that, I just doubt the judge can understand the technical issues behind it.
    Also, none of those points seem to be raised in the newspaper article, but that is just the typical, lazy standard of journalism today.
    The main stream press has about as much understanding of technology as my mother.
    She's 78 and her idea of the pinnacle of technology is fax machines and VCR's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭blackwhite

It sounds to me more like a case of a judge who has issues with the privatisation of speed surveillance more than anything else - and possibly that he doesn't understand the technology.

Whether or not the software is correctly calibrated, having someone watching the screen isn't going to change a thing wrt what the device records. If the law is happy that it's working correctly (which under current legislation it automatically is), then whatever it records is fairly clear evidence, regardless of whether someone (who more than likely doesn't understand how the camera works himself) was gaping gormlessly at the screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Electronic evidence is objective.

The ongoing Penalty Points controversy shows what can happen when people have too much personal influence on the process.

Parked up down by the point again this evening

301532.jpg

Another leech van spotted yesterday in the 60k zone after the airport (road to M1)

302024.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭buzzing147

Is that a speed van or a survey van? Surely that van there isnt a speed van?

buzzing147 wrote: »
    Is that a speed van or a survey van? Surely that van there isnt a speed van?

Its a transit without the IR flash on the roof - so 100% Garda van -

2 days running the leech vans down here again:

Friday night 18:30ish outside the point:

Dashcam as playing up so no still

302880.JPG

Tonight in the same spot as last week - seems they are trying to up their game lately.

302879.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Murphster

Maybe someone might answer! Was driving from Athlone to Sligo yesterday evening and before Roscommon I was just coming of a normal bendy part of the road onto a wider stretch with hard shoulders. Up ahead was a speed van pointing towards me on the right hand side and as I was near to it a flash went off above the windscreen, I looked more closely as I passed and it (either a camera/flash or both) is built in to the vans bodywork. I believe in all honesty that I was below the limit as it was quite wet and I was conciously taking it easy. Does this mean that my speed was measured from the front of the van? Does it flash at every car? Or did it flash due to fading light as it was between 7.30 - 8pm just to ensure a clear pic? Im scratching my head because it was always my belief that detection was from the rear of the van, so whats the front flash all about? .. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Murphster

Maybe someone might answer! Was driving from Athlone to Sligo yesterday evening and before Roscommon I was just coming of a normal bendy part of the road onto a wider stretch with hard shoulders. Up ahead was a speed van pointing towards me on the right hand side and as I was near to it a flash went off above the windscreen, I looked more closely as I passed and it (either a camera/flash or both) is built in to the vans bodywork. I believe in all honesty that I was below the limit as it was quite wet and I was conciously taking it easy. Does this mean that my speed was measured from the front of the van? Does it flash at every car? Or did it flash due to fading light as it was between 7.30 - 8pm just to ensure a clear pic? Im scratching my head because it was always my belief that detection was from the rear of the van, so whats the front flash all about? .. Thanks

Murphster wrote: »

The only place you can have your speed measured and a fine issued is approaching or going away from the rear of the van only.

No idea what you saw. Possibly a reflection from your own headlamps but I can assure you, from the front of the van i.e. The drivers seated position, you cannot have your speed measured or captured. All the kit is in the rear, facing away from the rear of the van.

That said, most GoSafe vans have CCTV throughout the van but these cannot be used for such purposes. Its possible, and stretch of imagination here, you saw the IR from the CCTV or a reflection of your headlights in one of the lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Was going by Heuston tonight in Dublin towards the M50 and ran an amber light and may have been going 60 at most but I noticed a flash from a camera up on a pole on the opposite side high up will I be getting a fine in the post do ye reckon? Squeaky clean at the moment so would be annoying :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Kunkka wrote: »
    Was going by Heuston tonight in Dublin towards the M50 and ran an amber light and may have been going 60 at most but I noticed a flash from a camera up on a pole on the opposite side high up will I be getting a fine in the post do ye reckon? Squeaky clean at the moment so would be annoying :(

That was a gatso gs11 unit.

Being trialled for the past year or so.

You won't get a ticket, but if lots of ppl get photoed breaking lights at those junctions, it'll only justify the introduction of red light cams, and speed on green cams

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

mikeecho wrote: »

You won't get a ticket, but if lots of ppl get photoed breaking lights at those junctions, it'll only justify the introduction of red light cams, and speed on green cams

Cheers I know I've learned my lesson I don't normally do stuff like that at all just was in the car for ages after collecting the Mrs in town. Couldn't miss the flash anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Which camera are you talking about? Haven't seen a single one around Heuston and I've been driving in this general area for about a year now.

Unless you're talking about the one here

I've went through this on amber plenty of times, but never got a ticket.

Sobanek wrote: »
    Which camera are you talking about? Haven't seen a single one around Heuston and I've been driving in this general area for about a year now.

Unless you're talking about the one here

I've went through this on amber plenty of times, but never got a ticket.

Thats the one. Been there almost two years I think. Its a redlight camera and I think its only in use occasionally. I have seen it flash myself but never heard of anyone getting a fine. I don't think its operational, my presumption as mikeecho said is that its under trial.

Back in the favourite spot

323495.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I hope not, we are nanny state enough as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I hope not, we are nanny state enough as it is.

New cameras to catch motorists breaking red lights at Luas line
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/new-cameras-to-catch-motorists-breaking-red-lights-at-luas-lines-1.1769228

New traffic trial to picture red-light jumpers in the act
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/new-traffic-trial-to-picture-redlight-jumpers-in-the-act-26768087.html
    New traffic trial to picture red-light jumpers in the act - See more at: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/new-traffic-trial-to-picture-redlight-jumpers-in-the-act-26768087.html#sthash.xSreyBW7.dpuf

Advertisement