Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

ASOT wrote: »
    Tim Sylvia weighed in at 371lbs and was denied medical clearance to fight in his "comeback bout", this makes me really sad What he's become :(

371???

Bloody hell that's over 26 stone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

DrPhilG wrote: »

Bloody hell that's over 26 stone!

Ya of pure muscle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Cerrone's fightin Henderson!!

haha go on Cowboy!!

https://twitter.com/ufc/status/552286488365649921

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tssk

Cowboy is great but this is asking a lot. I know he wasnt really exerted physically Sat night but the psychological exertions from it could be his downfall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Tssk wrote: »
    Cowboy is great but this is asking a lot. I know he wasnt really exerted physically Sat night but the psychological exertions from it could be his downfall

This is a win/win for Cowboy. If he wins he'll possibly leapfrog Khabib and get the next title shot, and if he loses, nothing is made for it, he'll still get a great reaction for taking a fight against Benson who he has lost to twice on short notice and the pay day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭weemcd

Fair play to Cerrone. He would fight anyone, anywhere, any time!

Hope he wins and I hope Dana is paying him some serious $$$

Devastated for Eddie though. I get the feeling it's not going to happen for him UFC side

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

pretty amazing to take a fight on such short notice, he must need the cash badly

• Registered Users Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Cowboy is such a legend, would love to see him tear through Bendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

pretty amazing to take a fight on such short notice, he must need the cash badly

Well if he didn't take much damage, his is in fighting shape why not keep going while the poker is hot? It would be different if he was in a war.

Minor bruising will be healed and he doesn't have to go through another camp just keep loose and ready, and he can double his earning in the space of 3 weeks with little to loose.

I thinks it a win win really.

I know lads who fought two or three times in a night, and they certainly did not do it for the money. Although its a nice incentive as I am sure he is being well looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,499 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Dustin "Diamond" Poirier is probably gonna have to find a new nickname. Link

• Advertisement

This is Cerrones 6th fight within a year! If he beats Henderson he has about a month for the Denver card so plenty of time to get himself ready for another fight :D

Fair play to him, he maybe realises he has got a short career as a fighter so he's raking in as much money as he can while he can. I don't understand fighters,unless injured, wanting to take a long time off between fights

I don't understand fighters,unless injured, wanting to take a long time off between fights

It can put a lot of pressure on your life man. Training two or three times a day, maintaining a incredibly strict diet, being hungry a lot of the time, being so tired all you want to do is sleep, barely have time for your wife/partner, kids and friends. Not being able to take part fully in social occasions.

Physically you are always picking up some kind of bumps and wear and tear in training. The body needs rest both physically and mentally, otherwise you wear out. Its not just the fight , that's the easy part. Its the 12 weeks or so of intense training leading up to it that is the hard part.

Many people need to have a "normal life" for a little while before then get back on it.

On the other side i agree with staying in shape and maybe doing a couple or several fights on the trot, but it is extremely difficult to maintain if you have to wait around between fights. What is beneficial about this match up is the quick turn over meaning its only a couple more weeks of the above , not 7 or 8 or longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I think the reason Cowboy fights so much is that he seems to just bring all his pals alone in that bitchin' RV of his and basically goes on a freakin' holiday flying planes and wake boarding and ****. Chap is the coolest mofo going.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Cowboy is such a legend, would love to see him tear through Bendo.
    He just picked up $140k for that fight. He's fought 7 times in 14 months, all wins earning maybe 120k average, plus 4 bonuses. That's over a million, plus his sponsor money, plus any other income he gets.
    I really doubt he is doing it for the money.

He is the complete adrenaline junkie.

I can only imagine what the rush feels like fighting in the UFC, I am sure for him is as much for thrills as anything else.

He seems to genuinely love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Mellor wrote: »
    He just picked up $140k for that fight. He's fought 7 times in 14 months, all wins earning maybe 120k average, plus 4 bonuses. That's over a million, plus his sponsor money, plus any other income he gets.

I'm not saying money is his only motivation. In fact anyone can see that he loves competing but his 'problems' with money are well documented in fairness.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Didn't Cerrone himself say recently that he's doing it for the money??

EDIT: Here's a cut from a piece he did on radio last year
    I don't give a **** either way. Whether I want it or don't want it. I texted Joe [Silva] after my fight saying I want another fight ASAP. He said, 'How does Jan. 25 work?' I said, 'Great!' He didn't even give me an opponent's name. Then a couple days later he texted me, I said, 'Yea, whoever. I don't give a ****.' Don't matter. We're going for six [fights] this year. I like money. What really happened is I spent all my money and now I'm broke. Now I've only got one choice and that's to fight. I got real comfortable financially, kinda let off everything. I lost my fire. I was training and going through the motions. With the last fight with Dunham, I was really considering retiring had I not been able to pull the trigger. I'm just out of control. It's hard to have money in the bank and want something and then get it. I just ****ing buy it. I have no idea what 'saving money' is. It has nothing to do with wanting to go broke. I wish I had millions in the bank. I'd never go broke. Lets get that belt and get millions in the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I have a feeling Rumble will beat Gus,
    Rumble will be a much 'easier' opponent for Jones who will continue unbeaten for for at least 2 more year before taking over the heavyweight division

Life Degen wrote: »
    Didn't Cerrone himself say recently that he's doing it for the money??

EDIT: Here's a cut from a piece he did on radio last year

So basically watch this space for Cerrone to be an absolute burn out in 5 years probably fighting into his 40's in nightclubs and regional promotions. I like the guy he's one of my favourite fighters but this attitude is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Holy crap...

Jon Jones has failed a dope test for cocaine and has gone into rehab!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭osl

So basically watch this space for Cerrone to be an absolute burn out in 5 years probably fighting into his 40's in nightclubs and regional promotions. I like the guy he's one of my favourite fighters but this attitude is awful.

I would imagine he has plenty of toys and assets that were he ever to be truly broke he could still live off of fairly handily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

A little teaser (5 rounds) of what could come in the Bendo/Cowboy fight.. :cool:

http://www.ufc.tv/video/benson-henderson-vs-donald-cerrone-wec-43

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

I have a feeling Rumble will beat Gus,
    Rumble will be a much 'easier' opponent for Jones who will continue unbeaten for for at least 2 more year before taking over the heavyweight division

I genuinely think he could KO Jones if it truly came down to it, he could KO anyone imo, I don't hope that he beats Gus but I'd be happy if he does. I love both of them but I love watching Rumble fight more, chaps a monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Also Nelson v Reem just announced for 185, can't see past a Big Country KO.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

Mellor wrote: »

He obviously loves fighting but probably isn't the smartest cookie outside of the octagon

http://www.mmamania.com/2014/1/17/5318644/ufc-on-fox-10-broke-donald-cerrone-not-saving-money-mma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Joseph Duffy has apparently been signed by the UFC.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/duffy-signs-with-ufc-1870123-Jan2015/?utm_source=twitter_self

Brilliant news if true, can see him doing very well in the lightweight division.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/duffy-signs-with-ufc-1870123-Jan2015/?utm_source=twitter_self

Brilliant news if true, can see him doing very well in the lightweight division.

news is being reported from multiple sources so I'd say it is true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Delighted for him! His last KO is one of my absolute favourites!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Joe retweeted it himself so its true. Fantastic news. Think he'll do really really well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

So it begins, the signing on of the Irish lads, all ready for Croker :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement