Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

That Jouban decision was up there with the worst iv ever seen in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Some card so far.

Weidman v Belfort
    Rousey v Zigano
    Romero v Jacare
    Bigfoot v Mir

Koscheck v Ellenberger, Walsh v Jouban and more on prelims, Shame Magalhaes is out, but still a stacked card.

Ah its unreal hopefully they hold up :P 182&183 also stacked, I see Brandao goes from headlining a card to fighting Jimy Hettes at 183 in what looks like one of the first pre-lims :D

Bigfoot V Mir, Joe Silva must have bein laughing chalkin that down could be entertaining. Romero V Jacare #1 contender surely

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Senor Frog

Bigfoot V Mir, Joe Silva must have bein laughing chalkin that down could be entertaining.

I like this fight , kinda has an old school feel to it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I wonder will actually play to his strengths and try to get it to the ground or will he decide he has good stand up....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Ah its unreal hopefully they hold up :P 182&183 also stacked, I see Brandao goes from headlining a card to fighting Jimy Hettes at 183 in what looks like one of the first pre-lims :D

Bigfoot V Mir, Joe Silva must have bein laughing chalkin that down could be entertaining. Romero V Jacare #1 contender surely

Yeah I imagine it will be.

How does everyone think Weidman v Belfort will go?

Vitor by decision for me.

• Advertisement

Yeah I imagine it will be.

How does everyone think Weidman v Belfort will go?

Vitor by decision for me.

Not sure but I'd go Weidman due to the uncertainty of non TRT Belfort. Weidman has great ability shame he got plagued with injury he is talking some stuff i the build up to it which is uncharacteristic.

Couldn't entertain Vitor on points he has never gone 5 rounds and last time he went to a decision way back in 2006 he lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Not sure but I'd go Weidman due to the uncertainty of non TRT Belfort. Weidman has great ability shame he got plagued with injury he is talking some stuff i the build up to it which is uncharacteristic.

Couldn't entertain Vitor on points he has never gone 5 rounds and last time he went to a decision way back in 2006 he lost.

Because I can't seen Weidman wanting to get into an out and out scrap with Vitor, so he'll try and exchange and then take him down. Think Vitor will be able to get some big shots that will hurt Weidman, while Weidmans ground game will tire Vitor out. But I just think its Vitors time, I'm hearing he is looking better then he ever has and hope he pulls it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Weidman by sub

Because I can't seen Weidman wanting to get into an out and out scrap with Vitor, so he'll try and exchange and then take him down. Think Vitor will be able to get some big shots that will hurt Weidman, while Weidmans ground game will tire Vitor out. But I just think its Vitors time, I'm hearing he is looking better then he ever has and hope he pulls it off.

Weidman is capable on the feet though if it ends up at the judges its unlikely to go Vitors way I'm guessing, as I said going with Weidman but were Vitor to win he'll need a KO/TKO it's the only way I see him winning. Being more specific I'd say Weidman to finish and it won't make championship rounds.

I feel bad for anybody that has to ever fight Palhares, what an absolute beast on the ground. Dont care what hes done hell always be one of my favourite fighters, bags of ability ala Paul Daley just a bit dim.

http://giant.gfycat.com/SecondaryTimelyErin.webm

• Advertisement

If this goes ahead its a game changer, would who would be signing it!

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/12/13/7387889/fighters-to-sue-ufc-for-100s-of-millions-in-class-action

ASOT wrote: »
    I feel bad for anybody that has to ever fight Palhares, what an absolute beast on the ground. Dont care what hes done hell always be one of my favourite fighters, bags of ability ala Paul Daley just a bit dim.

http://giant.gfycat.com/SecondaryTimelyErin.webm
    Bags of ability, but also got bags of liability.

The Fitch sub wasn't held a particularly excessive amount of long time (on a Palhares scale), but he still had to be pulled off by the ref.
    And I know, they say you hold on until the ref stops it. With chokes and such, there’s no danger. Even with other joint locks there’s a bit of play. But you can’t fk around with leglocks. If he released pressure but held the leg it would have been fine.
    Fitch’s tap was incredibly obvious, it just makes him look like he is trying to injure guys. He wasn’t even waiting for the ref by the looks of things, he still need to be snapped out of his trance.

How does he carry on at training without a ref watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

He does have a certain glassed over look to him when he is doing it.

I know PH it notorious for holding on. But in this case I think Fitch should have tapped earlier. His knee was fully extended with PH applying wicked pressure for 2-3 secs, when his knee starts to go is when he starts tapping. Which in my opinion is very late.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

As far as Palhares' subs go, this was one of his more polite ones.

Anyone else, it would be considered an ever so slightly long hold.

As hard as this probably is to believe I genuinely think he doesn't mean it maliciously, he seems like one of them people that just gets into the zone and has to be knocked out of it. He 100% is wrong in what he has done but I don't think hes purposely going out to hurt people. Since his cut to WW hes become a different kind of beast though, Doubt it would ever happen but I hope one day he gets back into the UFC. He literally just walked up to Fitch and manhandles him before tapping him out, hes got crazy skills. Just seems a bit ****ed in the head sort of like Suarez, gets way to into it and will do anything to win.

He does have a certain glassed over look to him when he is doing it.

I know PH it notorious for holding on. But in this case I think Fitch should have tapped earlier. His knee was fully extended with PH applying wicked pressure for 2-3 secs, when his knee starts to go is when he starts tapping. Which in my opinion is very late.
    Fitch made it very hard for himself. He wasn't defending very intelligently. Bit he probably thought he could get out.

And it was mild for Palhares, but still wasn't close to ideal.
    When Fitched started tapping, a normal person would get ready for the ref to jump in. But it's like the ref catches him completely by surprise and he has no idea why it's being stopped.

Mellor wrote: »
    Fitch made it very hard for himself. He wasn't defending very intelligently. Bit he probably thought he could get out.

And it was mild for Palhares, but still wasn't close to ideal.
    When Fitched started tapping, a normal person would get ready for the ref to jump in. But it's like the ref catches him completely by surprise and he has no idea why it's being stopped.

I genuinely just think he gets so into it, Iv heard him say before in an interview he doesnt want to get screwed out of a win so he holds it until the ref physically drags him off. Fair enough if it was a choke or something but these kneebars and heel hooks cause ridiculous amounts of damage. Its scary how good he is at them though, i knew he would beat Fitch but i didnt think that easy especially after his lay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I checked out Palhares history and he definitely likes to hold on for a while. Some of the subs he's got in trouble for haven't been that bad but I guess he's got a rep now so anything over the border will come under scrutiny. The only thing that annoys me is how he's been punished for holding on but a lot of guys get away with late punches after a guys been clearly KO'd or the ref has stepped in. It's a part of the sport I don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,501 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Can't remember exactly, but I read somewhere that Murilo Bustamante is to blame for instilling that sort of mentality in his students after the Matt Lindland fake tap. Still doesn't excuse anything though.

I checked out Palhares history and he definitely likes to hold on for a while. Some of the subs he's got in trouble for haven't been that bad but I guess he's got a rep now so anything over the border will come under scrutiny. The only thing that annoys me is how he's been punished for holding on but a lot of guys get away with late punches after a guys been clearly KO'd or the ref has stepped in. It's a part of the sport I don't like.

Yeah basically, I don't think they have been bad as people have made out but he has a rep now so its going to follow him for a long time. Id say hes pretty happy now in WSOF though because nobody will be able to touch him imo, the competition just isnt there. Id rate him pretty highly at WW, 100% would be in the mix if he was back in the UFC. Maybe not title contender but could mix it up 100% with the top tier guys.
    Can't remember exactly, but I read somewhere that Murilo Bustamante is to blame for instilling that sort of mentality in his students after the Matt Lindland fake tap. Still doesn't excuse anything though.

Yeah basically this, i think this was the jist of what was said in the interview i heard. That they want to be 1000% sure the fights getting stopped so they dont get screwed over. Basically doesnt give them a chance for anything like this to happen. It just looks much worse because its a heel hook/knee bar imo because of the damage it can do.

• Advertisement

I heard that too, but it's speculation really. Nobody else at at BTT does it, afaik.

And after Palhares was cut, Bustamante came out and said he hurt guys a lot in training too. And said that it was part of the reason that they parted ways.
    Although, maybe he was annoyed that Palhares left.

The truth is probably in the middle somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

The straw weight rankings have been released. Looks like a pretty fair reflection on the state of things. Daly in at #9.

Champion : Carla Esparza
    1 Joanna Jedrzejczyk *NR
    2 Claudia Gadelha *NR
    3 Jessica Penne *NR
    4 Rose Namajunas *NR
    5 Tecia Torres *NR
    6 Joanne Calderwood *NR
    7 Randa Markos *NR
    8 Felice Herrig *NR
    9 Aisling Daly *NR
    10 Heather Clark *NR
    11 Paige VanZant *NR
    12 Juliana Lima *NR
    13 Angela Hill *NR
    14 Bec Rawlings *NR
    15 Seohee Ham *NR

That's fair imo. Although, Randa beat Tecia in the house, and lost a close fight to Rose.
    It nicely sets up Ais vrs Felice/Heather.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,501 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Just realised Josh Burkman is back in the UFC. I thought he would get the call after the Fitch sub. Shame that Lombard is probably going to wreck him though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Surprised there isn't more talk about the pending class action suit against the UFC.

Claims are that it is a potential "game changer" and that the people backing the suit have deep pockets.

Probably will end up a load of guff and the big announcement on Thursday will consist of Tito Ortiz in a mask and Frank Shamrock jumping out from under the table...

But could be very interesting if it has any substance. Any possibility that Viacom are the deep pocketed backers???

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Surprised there isn't more talk about the pending class action suit against the UFC.

Claims are that it is a potential "game changer" and that the people backing the suit have deep pockets.

Probably will end up a load of guff and the big announcement on Thursday will consist of Tito Ortiz in a mask and Frank Shamrock jumping out from under the table...

But could be very interesting if it has any substance. Any possibility that Viacom are the deep pocketed backers???

Yeah i posted it a few days ago and nobody seemed interested :pac: Apparently theres some big names going to sign it!!

Theres a press conference in 20 minutes apparently - http://mmajunkie.com/2014/12/press-conference-scheduled-to-announce-class-action-lawsuit-against-ufc

EDIT - Live Updates - http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/12/16/7403935/live-updates-from-press-conference-for-class-action-lawsuit-against

Le, Fitch & Quarry are the first three names named on the lawsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Cung Le, Jon Fitch and Nate Quarry the names involved.

Reading this **** will 100% go down.
    While Le, Fitch and Quarry are the named plaintiffs, the class-action would be open to "All persons who competed in one or more live professional UFC-promoted MMA bouts taking place or broadcast in the United States during the Class Period. The Bout Class excludes all persons who are not residents or citizens of the United States unless the UFC paid such persons for competing in a bout fought in the United States."

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/12/16/7402257/le-fitch-and-quarry-named-plaintiffs-in-class-action-suit-vs-ufc

• Advertisement

Some more live updates.

https://twitter.com/TheSavageTruth

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement