Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...for President!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

would love to see the hissy fits thrown here if he did get elected :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Bertie runs and gets elected, I can see the Hollywood movie title down the road.

''Shafted again'' a story of Bertie's return.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    What title does the male partner of a president have ?

The current one is husband, I think. The previous one was also a husband, IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

In most countries he'd be in prison by now. In some countries he'd have been placed up against the wall in front of a firing squad. Here we talk of making him president.

What a joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

The Queen of England would beat Bertie in a presidential election.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    The Queen of England would beat Bertie in a presidential election.
    We can't vote for Elton John though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

That man makes me so angry. And you wouldn't like me when I'm angry!

Seriously though, if he runs and gets elected, I'm emigrating.

Well, TBH I can't join the torch&pitchfork crowd on tony & bertie purely because of the Good Friday Agreement.

That said,

Bertie?

President?

BAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

So far today Michael D. Higgins & the head of barnados have today put their names in the hat so I have no idea who I will vote for until all the other candidates are announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Biggins wrote: »
    Just some facts on Bertie:

* He has a state car and driver to ferry him around Dublin and still Bertie Ahern gets paid on top of that, a "constituency travel allowance" since he stood down as taoiseach.

* Ahern gets additionally paid €2,500 national travel expenses, the same amount as other TDs in geographically small constituencies. This is on top of his annual salary as a deputy, cut to €92,500 a year, and his pension as a former taoiseach, which is €83,250 a year.

* He is entitled to two secretaries at expense allowance for each of 50,000 a year till 2012 - after that his qualification for secretaries is reduced down to one.

* He gets a mobile phone for life with an additional allowance of 5,700 a year for that. He does NOT have to produce paperwork for it.

* Ahern received severance pay worth €68,000 after he stepped down as Taoiseach.

* In addition, Ahern gets a miscellaneous expenses allowance of €5,000, again paid with his salary and with no need for receipts.

* Some €200,000 was spent by the Office of Public Works fitting out a suite of offices for Ahern after he stood down as taoiseach and vacated Government Buildings. The suite includes an office for Ahern, one for his secretaries, a bathroom, waiting room and storage area. The bill included furnishings, as well as crockery and cutlery.

* Bertie is so busy with his own personal business that sometimes he misses out on votes of national importance such as one last year on reforms to social security cut backs - he chose instead to go to Kerry for a book-signing session in Killarney (which by the way he got 400,000 advance from the publishers - and because he's a "writer", tax free laws apply!).

* Other present earnings come from a 2 newspapers for writing for them occasionally and in one case weekly, an international-property company directorship, the lucrative universal lecture circuit and being just a guest at dinners as well as a speaker!

In other news, life isn't fair.

At the end of the day, he's a public figure who served his country (and himself, granted) for 11 years - he deserves some recognition for that. Anyone in the same position is entitled to the same allowances, and on a point of principle he shouldn't be victimised because of them.

At the end of the day, he hasn't been convicted of anything and while I think it's very unlikely he had no involvement in taking political back-handers I think that people continuing to blame him for the state the country is in now is totally unfair and a complete overreaction. Yeah it seems he did wrong, but the label of him as the crook who stole Ireland's future is undeserved, that blame lies equally with the ministers and the Financial Regulator who didn't plan, didn't regulate and who basically continued the Irish status quo of "ah it'll be grand". The blame lies with successive generations who failed to make us into a progressive, well-planned out society and Bertie was only one of thousands who just wasn't arsed planning ahead.

On a personal level, he's a friendly fella, charismatic and good at large aspects of his job - you never heard of him slacking off on holidays to inchydoney like CJ, he seemed to work hard at the very least - and given that Uachtarán na hÉireann does basically no legislating at all other than as a figurehead, I'm gonna stick my neck out and say I think he'd be a very GOOD president.

I'll also stick my neck out further and say it'll never happen. On a political level, the voters of Ireland would have zero integrity if they elected someone who was known to be dodgy. Maybe I'm contradicting what I said above, but that's how politics work. It's be the ultimate epitome of the "it'll be grand attitude" and I hope it doesn't happen for that reason only. If all the scandal had been kept under wraps, I think Bertie would possibly have been the most popular President ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    What title does the male partner of a president have ?

If it's the male partner of a male president, it will be "consort", but it looks unlikely if this recent report about Norris from the Irish Independent is correct:
    The international news channels will be disappointed in one area -- there will be no partner paraded as part of the campaign; though the 66-year-old enjoyed a 30-year relationship with Israel-based activist Ezra Nawi, they are now just good friends. "There will be no consort in the Park," David says, with a deliberately camp laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Micheal D Higgins would be a great president.

sdonn wrote: »
    At the end of the day, he's a public figure who served his country (and himself, granted) for 11 years - he deserves some recognition for that...

At the end of the day, he hasn't been convicted of anything...

...I'm gonna stick my neck out and say I think he'd be a very GOOD president.

...the voters of Ireland would have zero integrity if they elected someone who was known to be dodgy.

..., I think Bertie would possibly have been the most popular President ever.

On the first point above you made, he's already got many a recognition for his efforts up north, that don't mean we give him the grand prize just because he might deserve a smaller one!

On the second point: Of course he was not convicted. His mates in FF made sure of that. They so restricted the terms of reference of the tribunal that when they repeatedly tried to investigate further down a particular path, they were told they were not allowed! FF looking after their own - again!

Third point above, "Good" !!!
    You have got to be kidding - he would and does have no credibility now.
    The behaviour, words and the antics of him alone exposed by the tribunals made sure of that!

Fourth point above, have they ever elected anyone dodgy before!

Fifth point: Maybe 10 years ago when some of us were stupid and and willing to turn a blind eye to his antics - but this is the day of fast exposure and many a way of discovering crooked ways rapidly.
    So I think no way in hell would he be popular.

...O' and as for his expenses, he should know what he's entitled to anyway, Ironically this was because of a piece of legislation he had helped to steer through the Dail himself.
    In 1992, as finance minister, Ahern was in charge of the Oireachtas (Allowance to Members) and Ministerial and Parliamentary Offices (Amendment) Act.
    ...Talk about looking after yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,011 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I don't think that anyone in their right mind would vote for Bertie, and unfortunately, due to governmental neglect over the years, not enough money has been set aside to help people with mental health issues.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    ...not enough money has been set aside to help people with mental health issues.
    You mean Bertie with his convenient bad memory? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Bertie is forming a new party, the Megalomania Party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Kippure wrote: »
    Micheal D Higgins would be a great president.

Absolutely, he could have his presidential address every night on telly that would consist of some wonderfully delivered poetry. Ah bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I can not believe there are people here defending Ahern. If he were to get a cushy number like the presidency my opinion of my fellow country people will hit an all time low.

Credit to fellow board member Oceanclub.
    He found and posted this letter (in the politics section) that he/she came across:
    Mr Bertie Ahern TD.

Dáil Eireann,

Leinster House,

Dublin 2.

A Chara,

I witness the daily spectacle of this country having its soul destroyed with a heavy heart. Why is this happening, who caused the problem and how did they cause it? I have many other questions too. As you are handsomely paid from the public purse I believe you owe me some answers. So here goes.

1) You were Taoiseach and implemented economic policies, which have driven the country to the brink of ruin and bankruptcy...

2) You arrogantly claim to have created the "Celtic Tiger" yet you refuse to acknowledge that much of the mirage was created as a result of massive increases in public debt and unsustainable levels of public expenditure. Why is this? Could it be that you did not have a clue how to manage an economy?

3) The lack of regulation in the banking system led to a corrupted financial system lauded by you as being the “best in the world" Why did you do this when this was obviously not the case? Were you covering something up?

4) Your claims to having attended UCD, and the London School of Economics has been proven false. Your only experience was as a clerk in the Mater Hospital with no formal financial or business qualifications whatsoever..

5) When challenged about potential economic problems you queried why those with legitimate concerns regarding the economy don't just go and commit suicide..

6) Why are you still unable to provide a tax clearance certificate to prove that you are tax compliant? As a businessman if I wish to get state contracts I need a tax clearance certificate. Why should you be any different? Do you consider yourself to be above the law?

7) Why have you refused to give proper explanations of monies you received to a tribunal established by yourself? Your claim that unexplained monies were "won on the horses" is a claim also made by convicted criminal John Gilligan for money that he too could not account for. Do you for one minute think that the general public believe this story? Do you even care?

8) This country has suffered hugely from your incompetent leadership, greed and the aggrandisement of a small group of your supporters, leaving the taxpayer to pay for cleaning up the mess. Yet you continue to enjoy numerous salaries, extra allowances, speaking fees, expenses, pensions, directorships, fully expensed state car for life and Garda drivers. You are reputed to enjoy the highest pension entitlements and allowances of any head of state in the Europe...

9) Revenues generated from your book enjoy tax-free status. Given your significant expense to the country especially as you spend practically no time in the Dáil do you think this is fair? Does this tax free status indicate that your book is a complete work of fiction?

10) Given your legacy and dubious ethical record do you really think you are a suitable candidate to become president?

In summary therefore I cannot understand why you get so much for contributing so little? In any other world you would have been dismissed for your incompetence, corruption and wanton profligacy. Why should people continue to pay for your greed, vanity and excess? This is your opportunity to set the record straight. If you can.

Yours sincerely,

A Betrayed Citizen

Source: http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/30644

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

The cnut is only after an easy money making gig! Is'nt the presidents salary ridiculously high? Something like 250k?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,011 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

You mean Bertie with his convenient bad memory? :pac:

He had money set aside to cover his issues, but he couldn't remember where he put it.:(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Atari Jaguar
    The thought of Bertie becoming president fills me with rage :mad:. He has been responsible for the economic crisis in Ireland in no small way. He should have listened to the economists predicting the collapse instead of sticking his fingers in his ears and telling people that to listen to them would make you shoot yourself. Purely because of this pig ignorance I detest him, and all the scandal regarding his personal finances is the icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned.

The really sad thing is there are stupid cnuts who will follow him and his fcuking "charisma" to the end of the earth and back, and we could very well end up with him as President for the next 14 years. :mad::mad::mad:

Seriously, can you imagine the increase in make up expenses at the Áras if Queen Bertie got elected...:eek:

galwayrush wrote: »
    Seriously, can you imagine the increase in make up expenses at the Áras if Queen Bertie got elected...:eek:
    Well the older he gets, the more Pollyfiller he will need to fill in those faceline cracks - or is it the cracks in his memory?
    Hey, the Pollyfiller can do both! :D

Well the older he gets, the more Pollyfiller he will need to fill in those faceline cracks - or is it the cracks in his memory?
    Hey, the Pollyfiller can do both! :D

He could use the **** that comes from his mouth, since there's a lot of it.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

At the end of the day, he's a public figure who served his country (and himself, granted) for 11 years - he deserves some recognition for that. Anyone in the same position is entitled to the same allowances, and on a point of principle he shouldn't be victimised because of them.

At the end of the day, he hasn't been convicted of anything and while I think it's very unlikely he had no involvement in taking political back-handers I think that people continuing to blame him for the state the country is in now is totally unfair and a complete overreaction. Yeah it seems he did wrong, but the label of him as the crook who stole Ireland's future is undeserved, that blame lies equally with the ministers and the Financial Regulator who didn't plan, didn't regulate and who basically continued the Irish status quo of "ah it'll be grand". The blame lies with successive generations who failed to make us into a progressive, well-planned out society and Bertie was only one of thousands who just wasn't arsed planning ahead.

On a personal level, he's a friendly fella, charismatic and good at large aspects of his job - you never heard of him slacking off on holidays to inchydoney like CJ, he seemed to work hard at the very least - and given that Uachtarán na hÉireann does basically no legislating at all other than as a figurehead, I'm gonna stick my neck out and say I think he'd be a very GOOD president.

I'll also stick my neck out further and say it'll never happen. On a political level, the voters of Ireland would have zero integrity if they elected someone who was known to be dodgy. Maybe I'm contradicting what I said above, but that's how politics work. It's be the ultimate epitome of the "it'll be grand attitude" and I hope it doesn't happen for that reason only. If all the scandal had been kept under wraps, I think Bertie would possibly have been the most popular President ever.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Please tell me you are not the electoral register.

I will happily congratulate the IRA and never criticise them again if they wipe that prick off the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

FFS.

I don't know how people can write letters like that. Yes, he made mistakes, yes he was responsible.

But would the writer of the letter have, in their infinite fúcking wisdom, done anything differently? I reckon they were, like most of us, happy to suck up the good times - and now that things have gone pear-shaped they look for someone to blame.

We all knew the bubble was going to burst, and we all did nothing about it. Those sitting on 98pc mortgages have themselves to blame as well as the banks. People lived beyond their means. It's nothing short of arrogant to write complaining letters to government or ex-government ministers unless you were willing in 2005 to camp outside Leinster House demanding better financial legislation.
    dan719 wrote: »

Please tell me you are not the electoral register.

Yes, I am. And I voted FF in 2007. Specifically, I voted for Bertie's govt based on his track record because I didn't know the extent of the crisis that was to come, his government's lack of preparation for it and I also didn't see any hard evidence at that time that he had done anything other than take a couple of back handers twelve years previously, which I was happy to turn a blind eye to quite frankly in light of what he had done to date.

Do I regret voting FF in 2007? Yes. Do I regret making the decision I made then based on what I knew then? No. DO I hate and begrudge Bertie Ahern? No. He simply pandered to the status quo and that's not going to make me ever vote for him again but my argument is that there are a lot more people to blame than he and there is no excuse for all the closed-minded idiot on here ganging up on him and suggesting that he be "wiped off the planet".

Nobody knew how hard the recession would hit, NO country escaped it in the western world and we are no exception. It was a global ****up in a fundamentally flawed banking system that was exacerbated by the Irish way of doing things...where were the ESRI, etc and their stark warnings when we needed them if the FF govt was doing so abhorrently badly? Yeah the housing game was stupid and should have been further regulated, yeah they should have dealt with it, but would anyone else have done any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Obviously a Troll, or has recently escaped a high security mental institution! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

FFS.

I don't know how people can write letters like that. Yes, he made mistakes, yes he was responsible.

But would the writer of the letter have, in their infinite fúcking wisdom, done anything differently? I reckon they were, like most of us, happy to suck up the good times - and now that things have gone pear-shaped they look for someone to blame.

We all knew the bubble was going to burst, and we all did nothing about it. Those sitting on 98pc mortgages have themselves to blame as well as the banks. People lived beyond their means. It's nothing short of arrogant to write complaining letters to government or ex-government ministers unless you were willing in 2005 to camp outside Leinster House demanding better financial legislation.

Yes, I am. And I voted FF in 2007. Specifically, I voted for Bertie's govt based on his track record because I didn't know the extent of the crisis that was to come, his government's lack of preparation for it and I also didn't see any hard evidence at that time that he had done anything other than take a couple of back handers twelve years previously, which I was happy to turn a blind eye to quite frankly in light of what he had done to date.

Do I regret voting FF in 2007? Yes. Do I regret making the decision I made then based on what I knew then? No. DO I hate and begrudge Bertie Ahern? No. He simply pandered to the status quo and that's not going to make me ever vote for him again but my argument is that there are a lot more people to blame than he and there is no excuse for all the closed-minded idiot on here ganging up on him and suggesting that he be "wiped off the planet".

Nobody knew how hard the recession would hit, NO country escaped it in the western world and we are no exception. It was a global ****up in a fundamentally flawed banking system that was exacerbated by the Irish way of doing things...where were the ESRI, etc and their stark warnings when we needed them if the FF govt was doing so abhorrently badly? Yeah the housing game was stupid and should have been further regulated, yeah they should have dealt with it, but would anyone else have done any better?

Affirmative it's the mental institution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

FFS.

Eh, I think you'll find a lot of people did. It was obvious from 2005 onwards that we were in the midst of an unsustainable bubble. It's the govt. job to deflate the same as painlessly as possible. Not tell naysayers to go kill themselves, and tell the public that "now is the time to get into property".

Advertisement