Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...for President!

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Probably gonna be locked but, meh - why can't I be a contender?
    Good luck meeting the qualifying requirements alone for being able to stand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_presidential_election

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

In the presence of Almighty God, do you, Boneyarsebogman, solemnly and sincerely promise and declare that you will maintain the Constitution of Ireland and uphold its laws, that you will fulfill your duties faithfully and conscientiously in accordance with the Constitution and the law, and that you will dedicate your abilities to the service and welfare of the people of Ireland?

Thought not.

Atari Jaguar
    Biggins wrote: »
    Good luck meeting the qualifying requirements alone for being able to stand.

I've got two legs. Surely that qualifies me enough to stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I'll vote for you.

The presidency is open to all citizens of the state who are at least 35. To qualify, candidates must:

* be a citizen of the state
    * be over 35 years of age
    * be nominated by:
    At least twenty serving members of the Oireachtas (parliament), or
    At least four county or city councils, or
    Him- or herself (in the case of an incumbent or former president that has served one term).

• Advertisement

Atari Jaguar
    Woo. Thread re-opened. Vote if you think I should be president.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I think he would make a great president.

without a doubt the sole function of the position of president is not to go about shaking hands and cutting ribbons, but to ratify constitutional law changes.

I think Michael D is a man of concience and of common sense. I think he whould have the stones to sigh something like modern age equivelent of a Parnell style land act (which ireland now needs), but would also stand tall on not signing away our rights? which I believe will become a bigger issue globally speaking in the next decade.

Plus he's into Joyce, so far as I'm concerned, you're not even Irish until you've read Ulysses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

i would be a great president.

i would be a great president.
    I would suck.

I wouldn't just tow the party line all the time.
    I wouldn't keep my opinions to myself.
    I wouldn't pander and shake hands to those home or abroad who were just bad.
    Officially if I wanted to leave the country, I'd have to ask for the governments permission - stuff that!
    If I decide to go on a presidential orgy in a Texas hoar-house, I ruddy will! :mad:

I'd suck as Pres! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

When is the last time that a president stepped in to try and actually improve how the country is run. When judges were away for the summer there were cases piling up and placing a massive burden on the judicial system.. and look at the inconsistent and lenient sentencing there is in Ireland for serious crime.

The only person with the power to make change is the president, as that's who appoints judges. But people cringe at the idea of her doing anything about it.. seperation of powers and all that. It's a meaningless position in this country so I couldn't really care less who gets it*

*once it's not Ahern

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Nah, I wouldn't vote for Bertie but I do think that we need a man up the Áras.

If you need a man in the Aras then vote David Norris.

Advertisement