Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Emigrating the Only way to Find Work and have a Better life These days?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

anyone emigrating from ireland should be made pay there education cost's back to the state

that is one sweeper of a statement, they did not expect to have to leave but due to millions given to the few who bought yachts, big jeeps, second homes, while these poor students worked in foodmarkets and bars at weekend trying to survive paying rent and keeping warm and fed on very little and getting through exams, to these graduates, you deserve better than you are now being offered, and just spread your wings across this globe and find your chosen field, enjoy it.
    for if you stay, you will spend the next 10 yrs paying for the stupidity of the past 10 yrs, money being given to people who did not have a rap nor a brain to pay it back.good luck to you all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

goat2 wrote: »
    that is one sweeper of a statement, they did not expect to have to leave but due to millions given to the few who bought yachts, big jeeps, second homes, while these poor students worked in foodmarkets and bars at weekend trying to survive paying rent and keeping warm and fed on very little and getting through exams, to these graduates, you deserve better than you are now being offered, and just spread your wings across this globe and find your chosen field, enjoy it.
    for if you stay, you will spend the next 10 yrs paying for the stupidity of the past 10 yrs, money being given to people who did not have a rap nor a brain to pay it back.good luck to you all
    in the statement above i am talking about the people in college,who scream at the top of there lungs ireland is s**te ireland is this that and the other.i am going imediataly to "insert country here" when i finish college."ireland never gave me anything".these are the people i am talking about.constantly running down the country while getting a free third level education and a grant to boot.these are the rats i am talking about,and trust me there are loads about

• Registered Users Posts: 12,907 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Well, well, well. To saywhatyousee, happyman and the numerous other fools here, calling people rats and telling them not to come back cause you say they are no longer Irish or they are committing treason, why don't you all take a run and jump into the nearest river you can find, PLEASE.
    I worked as an electrician through the "Boom" years and paid a shed load in taxes for over 10 years.When I was made redundant I applied to every single job I could, including Ikea, McDonalds etc, etc. But to no avail, nobody would give me a job and yet everyone of these places is overrun by Foreign nationals.
    I am now 1 year away from qualifying as an electrical engineer, paid for by the tax-payer and the first thing i will do when i qualify is book a flight out of this sh***hole of a country, run by backward farmers from the arsehole of nowhere.
    And before any of you get on your high horse i couldn't give a sh**e what you narrow minded yobbo's have to say about anything so you stay in this banana republic.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

JRant wrote: »
    Well, well, well. To saywhatyousee, happyman and the numerous other fools here, calling people rats and telling them not to come back cause you say they are no longer Irish or they are committing treason, why don't you all take a run and jump into the nearest river you can find, PLEASE.
    I worked as an electrician through the "Boom" years and paid a shed load in taxes for over 10 years.When I was made redundant I applied to every single job I could, including Ikea, McDonalds etc, etc. But to no avail, nobody would give me a job and yet everyone of these places is overrun by Foreign nationals.
    I am now 1 year away from qualifying as an electrical engineer, paid for by the tax-payer and the first thing i will do when i qualify is book a flight out of this sh***hole of a country, run by backward farmers from the arsehole of nowhere.
    And before any of you get on your high horse i couldn't give a sh**e what you narrow minded yobbo's have to say about anything so you stay in this banana republic.
    knowing my luck if i jumped into the river the water would probaly split while i am in mid air:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 pstokes

Im 23 and emigrated to the Uk in May. Even though I have a professional qualification people were saying I was making a mistake and were looking down on me for leaving Ireland. Now I am earning £37,000 + bonus, I live 20 miles from an airport and have made a lot of friends through work.So yes i agree its better to emigrate than staying at home drawing the dole and putting more strain on the Irish economy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

How do you know they all came back?
    And of those who did come back, why does it bother you?
    If they hadn't have come back with their skills and experience from abroad, the economy in the 90s wouldn't have developed the way it did.

You really have to get your priorities straight in who you should direct your anger at.

Anger is a fairly useless emotion tbh.
    Why does it bother me? Because of the pointlessness and vulgarity that happened here over the last 10-15 yrs and we have nothing to show for it but eyesores and massive overdraft.
    And that's nonsense about the economy because it was all based greed and a bubble that was sure to burst. I wish we never had a Celtic Tiger. I know a whole generation would be happier and more fulfilled.

JRant wrote: »
    I am now 1 year away from qualifying as an electrical engineer, paid for by the tax-payer and the first thing i will do when i qualify is book a flight out of this sh***hole of a country...to become a Foreign National

Fixed that for ya ^^^^^
    It's run by 'backward farmers' because you and your likes let them.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Fixed that for ya ^^^^^

its the people who stay who allow it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

And there you have it....another generation thinking they are unique. It's cyclical in this country and the reason for that is that the same thing happens everytime. Who loses ultimately?
    you
    I don't care like, I'm feckin off

you
    I don't care like, I'm feckin off

Then please do what I asked all emigrants earlier in the thread. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭CCCP

I think that the high level of dole is a contributory factor. I know a fella who lost his job here in England and went home to draw dole as it's so much higher in Ireland.

I'm no right-winger by any stretch of the imagination, but the amount of dole paid out in Ireland (especially to people with no dependents) is ridiculous.

Really ?? you try living on 196 a week, and see how ridiculous it is!!!:mad:

For me, 3 people have to survive on that money, that's 196 divided by 3 and I don't get rent allowance or dependent money. You people and your stupid opinions make me so angry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Fixed that for ya ^^^^^
    I wouldn't hold it against anyone who felt it was in their best interests to leave Ireland, especially with the lack of a unified and clear voice in politics to represent some semblance of sanity. However, its worth noting that you lose your vote by doing so.

The government may make noises about using the great advances made by the diaspora to help Ireland out, but look at even that Farmleigh Conference a year ago, where successful emigrants paid for their own flights to come and advise the country economically. It has produced nothing. No jobs, no important initiatives, just another feed of soundbites for the endless rounds of civil service committeees to justify their existence in ever more obfuscated language.

Wherever the Irish go, they are successful, which leaves us with the question of what we could achieve in our own country if it were run even halfway properly. Until that great day however, emigration is being actively encouraged by the "leaders" because it gets the votes that might change things to vanish, as simple as that.

i admire all those who cross the ocean to find employment, it means that you are workers who cannot sit around just doing nothing, which can become depressing, and then there are those who have children and family who cannot leave due to commitments and children at schools, that have lost their jobs and hoping to find another job some are uprooting the lot a brave thing to do but have no options ,
    and then there are those who have been on dole with their lifetime and do not want to work, their children follow them on to the dole queu because this is what they have been thought, free houses, medical cards, free dentists, help with school books and uniforms, these same people are in the pubs at 11 in the morning, how they do it beats me, and there are plenty and too many of these type around, giving nothing, just put in this world to cost the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭sunshineoh9

do you think it is a stupid thing for me to be moving to ireland? my fiance told me if i can't find a job he will support me but i don't want to be entirely dependent on him...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,010 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    I wouldn't hold it against anyone who felt it was in their best interests to leave Ireland, especially with the lack of a unified and clear voice in politics to represent some semblance of sanity. However, its worth noting that you lose your vote by doing so.

The government may make noises about using the great advances made by the diaspora to help Ireland out, but look at even that Farmleigh Conference a year ago, where successful emigrants paid for their own flights to come and advise the country economically. It has produced nothing. No jobs, no important initiatives, just another feed of soundbites for the endless rounds of civil service committeees to justify their existence in ever more obfuscated language.

Wherever the Irish go, they are successful, which leaves us with the question of what we could achieve in our own country if it were run even halfway properly. Until that great day however, emigration is being actively encouraged by the "leaders" because it gets the votes that might change things to vanish, as simple as that.

Emigration has been actively encouraged throughout Irish history, no matter what regime had control. Emigration reduces anything un-employment related, including the percentage out of work. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the funds that the emigrants send home puts money into the local economy, which would otherwise not be the case.

No government has ever had a clue where job-creation is concerned, and they've all been spouting wind and piss for 90 years. Until the yokels who vote for these wind-bags die out, Ireland has no chance of keeping its population intact.

Ten years ago, I actually thought that Ireland had finally turned the corner as regards emigration, and we all know what happened next.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭nachoman

The more people who leave, the fewer new companies and the fewer major expansions of the companies already here. A shrinking population rarely increases the opportunities for the people who remain.

they increase the dole, so more dole, happy days.

do you think it is a stupid thing for me to be moving to ireland? my fiance told me if i can't find a job he will support me but i don't want to be entirely dependent on him...

are you moving to this wet, windy, cold, cashstrapped unemployment rising, taxes rising, country,---- leaving sunshine, plenty job oppertunities, i know you say for your boyfriend, would it not be a better idea if he went to where you are,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Propellerhead

I really want to know what in the name of God did I get out of this country? I stayed in school, leaving cert in 05, worked the few hours I could in pubs all through college, graduated 09 with a science degree and now working an office job an hour drive away for barely more than minimum wage because even if the right job is available I have no experience compared to someone of your generation who got laid off and can now saunter into a new job looking down at those queuing up for jobs or dole around the country because they have "experience". I'd love to emigrate to improve my quality of life but even that will take a while due to car loan, student loan and of course the ridiculous cost of living here. I love Ireland and don't want to leave but unless I can secure a slightly better job before Christmas I'm gone. I didn't have a chance to earn during the Celtic Tiger and so got completely shafted just like 90% of the graduates in this country in the last few years

Any love I have had for this country has been eroded. I couldn't even get my passport renewed on time when it was due, that's how much contempt Official Ireland has in its belly for the ordinary man.

The bollocksology in the newspapers, with the possible exception of McWilliams, who was a cheerleader for FF in his time as well is sickening. Knuckleheads blowing up their own place in Derry. Comfortably off people lecturing the rest of us to tighten their belts. Well fu ck them. They truly have made the bed for the rest of us so, I ain't lying here anymore, ever again. Gone at Christmas and gone for good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Have enjoyed reading through all the pages of these threads, and the different arguments. I'm a college graduate, graduated in 09, now over a year on the dole, not a job in sight. Since last weekend, I've begun to think seriously about emigration, weighing up the positives and negatives, and this thread has been a help.

For the people that have complained about college graduates turning their noses up at jobs in Lidl, Dunnes etc. I've applied for jobs at both, and been offered jobs, at minimum wage, 20-30 hours a week. You know what? I turned them down. These sort of hours at that pay turn out at the same amount once tax is removed (or even less) as the social welfare. I'd be eager to see if people view that as smart or lazy? Now I'm sick and tired of sitting on my hole, checking recruitment websites every morning, but I certainly don't view working in a customer service position for the same money as I'm getting on the dole as any better, especially as I spent 3 years in college working towards doing anything but customer service! I've worked in enough of those positions trying to financially support myself through college already.

The only reason I haven't left Ireland already btw, is that I'm in a band and that's been holding me back a bit as regards leaving. We've been successful enough, but really thinking of leaving it all behind now, in search of a "proper" job abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Emigration reduces anything un-employment related, including the percentage out of work.
    Which is a bit like reducing the strain on your heart circulating blood by cutting off your legs. You're going to need those to get moving in future.
    ejmaztec wrote: »
    As I mentioned in an earlier post, the funds that the emigrants send home puts money into the local economy, which would otherwise not be the case.
    Ireland was never the Philippines though, if we had proper leadership the opportunity existed and still exists to enrich the national economy a lot more by creating exporting businesses than by remittances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭CCCP

It depends where your coming from really, to make a comparison. Don't let threads like this scare you off Ireland, there are many good things about this country, and there are opportunity's still.

*Edit* just read your in Florida and considering moving to Limerick...You must really love him!

goat2 wrote: »
    are you moving to this wet, windy, cold, cashstrapped unemployment rising, taxes rising, country,---- leaving sunshine, plenty job oppertunities, i know you say for your boyfriend, would it not be a better idea if he went to where you are,
    trust me, there is no plenty of job opportunities here either... i'm moving there because it would be better for his daughter to stay in her currents school with current friends and i wouldn't want to take her from her mother. plus, i'm still living with my parents in the states and he has his own house and a stable job... i've been working part time for my mom because there are just no jobs available; so we decided that it would be better if i moved there
    CCCP wrote: »
    It depends where your coming from really, to make a comparison. Don't let threads like this scare you off Ireland, there are many good things about this country, and there are opportunity's still.

*Edit* just read your in Florida and considering moving to Limerick...You must really love him!
    lmao! yes i do love him very much :P plus, it doesn't hurt that he is irish ;)
    i sure do love ireland <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

trust me, there is no plenty of job opportunities here either... i'm moving there because it would be better for his daughter to stay in her currents school with current friends and i wouldn't want to take her from her mother. plus, i'm still living with my parents in the states and he has his own house and a stable job... i've been working part time for my mom because there are just no jobs available; so we decided that it would be better if i moved there

lmao! yes i do love him very much :P plus, it doesn't hurt that he is irish ;)
    i sure do love ireland <3

leaving the everglades for limerick

wtf...

leaving the everglades for limerick

wtf...
    wtfn? the everglades are only nice in winter (about two weeks of cool weather) every other time of year its hot, sticky, gross and mosquitoes everywhere... God i hate mosquitoes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

wtfn? the everglades are only nice in winter (about two weeks of cool weather) every other time of year its hot, sticky, gross and mosquitoes everywhere... God i hate mosquitoes....

Mosquitoes ... oh man I hate them, some of the nicest places to live on Earth are ruined by these f**kers. Ireland has no snakes, no big spiders and no mosquitoes. Whatever else you say about it, I love it. Try getting chewed alive by mosquitoes every night and then come back and complain. Not to mention the life-long problem of Malaria.

TheUsual wrote: »
    Mosquitoes ... oh man I hate them, some of the nicest places to live on Earth are ruined by these f**kers. Ireland has no snakes, no big spiders and no mosquitoes. Whatever else you say about it, I love it. Try getting chewed alive by mosquitoes every night and then come back and complain. Not to mention the life-long problem of Malaria.
    really? my fiance told me he found a tarantula in his shower about a week ago...
    omg just thinking about them are making me itch!!! :eek: i will NEVER miss that about miami!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

The more people who leave = more opportunities for those who stay.

Yeap an opportunity to inherit more debt!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Your comment is BS. Are you saying no-one here should train to be engineers? Why? Because theres no jobs? What field is there plenty of jobs in exactly? A field that you need a degree for?
    Are you an engineer? I've nothing against engineers.
    But if there are no jobs in the engineering sector, then where was the sense in becoming an engineer? (just as an example) Engineers are probably going to have to leave the country.
    There is a lack of jobs in every sector! Does this mean we should all not bother going to college? just sit into a cushy number in centra? Sure feck it what would ya want a fancy degree for when theres hot chicken roles to be made for the lads.
    Now hang on, I never said people shouldn't bother going to college. You're getting excited and losing sight of what I said.
    If there are jobs in retail than so be it. Chicken rolls aside, how can anyone think themselves too good to take any job if they are currently unemployed?
    An engineering degree is not an easy thing to get but it is essential if this place is to have any attraction to multi-nationals etc. our two main attractions are low corporate tax and high skilled workers.
    Yes, but as we said, people are leaving the country. Can't expect an engineering firm to create jobs if all the engineers are jumping ship.
    But theres a shortage of jobs, lets all join the council or some other piece of **** job like yours where ambition, decision making and creativity is punishable by death or something.
    I don't work for the council. I wish I did. I don't think ambition, decision making and creativity is punishable by death in the council.
    I work a ****ty, low paying, menial job which is far from my dream, and even further from what I studied. Do you know why I took it? Because I was on the dole, and was not in a position to be picky.

People here think too much of their own worth, and I think that might be doing harm to the economy.
    The smart, skilled ones emigrate and made something out of life.
    Sad but true.

I disagree.
    I say the smart, skilled ones stayed and worked up enough money to get into bed with the government.
    At the end of the day, it's the gombeens who stay in the country, hence the governments of the past 8 decades.
    Do you not think there is some sense in trying to vote these people out of government? Obviously that can't be done if potential opposition voters keep leaving the country.
    And as I suggested above, these gombeens may very well be the smartest ones, as they don't seem to have been htit badly by their buddies in government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭h8scobes

if you are on of those school dropouts then the future doesn't look good im afaird. however if you attended private school and now currently attend one of UCD,DIT, Trinity or DCU things are as good as ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭nudist

h8scobes wrote: »
    if you are on of those school dropouts then the future doesn't look good im afaird. however if you attended private school and now currently attend one of UCD,DIT, Trinity or DCU things are as good as ever.

And what sector are these graduates going into?

Seeing as the economy is ****ed in ireland for the next decade or two i dont see how this is now a great time to graduate IMO.

Advertisement