Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Emigrating the Only way to Find Work and have a Better life These days?

Options
  • 03-10-2010 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

Do you think Emigrating from Ireland is probaly the only way To find work? and also have a better quality of life?

About 100,000 people of working age are expected to have left Ireland by the end of this year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

The more people who leave = more opportunities for those who stay.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

There's also alcoholism and the lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

The more people who leave, the fewer new companies and the fewer major expansions of the companies already here. A shrinking population rarely increases the opportunities for the people who remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

We have to stay for a few more years until the kids finish school, then we're out of here so our kids can have a better future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hide behind the post

Certainly not-- Yes the economy is not conducive to providing everyone with jobs and the rich soil of the celtic tiger is not longer here.

However, Ireland still has many opportunities (Check any recruitment site, agency etc), jobs are still there but competition for same is intense.

Some will leave as their qualifications are best suited abroad or to start afresh and be the better for it no doubt...others will stay and build a career.

Swings and roundabouts sums it up in my opinion.

We will come out of this but it will be a long road and will not be easy!

This country has and will continue to breed enterprising, intelligent, entrepreneurial and talented individuals.

We are punching above our weight in terms of our size, scale and competitive advantage. Amid the turmoil there is light however fleeting it may appear.

It completely depends on what area you want to work in and what you define as work. There are always jobs in a shop, restaurant, pub, fastfood- it's just that people aren't willing to take these.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Although most of us did nothing wrong, we and at least the next generation will have to pay for the mismanagement and corruption of the country. Anglo really ****ed things, yet Lenehin awarded their management with pay increases, not exactly a good message to sent out to us mere mortals who will be hit with an avalanche of cut backs and stealth taxes to pay for their mistakes and continue to provide financially for a high standard of life for the guilty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

There are always jobs in a shop, restaurant, pub, fastfood- it's just that people aren't willing to take these.

Exactly. I know younger guys who worked in the building trade during the boom who laughed at me when i suggested that they apply for jobs in the Lidl that was opening locally. Apparently you'd 'have to wear a uniform like a spastic' and you'd 'have no craic on the job with the lads'. These were guys with families and mortgages but they'd sooner sit on their holes drawing the dole and getting a days work here and there.

They wouldn't look for jobs in pubs, fastfood or restaurants for the same reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

However, Ireland still has many opportunities (Check any recruitment site, agency etc), jobs are still there but competition for same is intense.

Most of those jobs probably don't exist - Recruitment Companies harvesting CVs.

• Advertisement

I'm emigrating, but then again I've always wanted to build planes for a living, so I'd've had to emigrate in boom or bust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Realy, I remember being in college and my younger brother who quit school pulling 600 euro a week on sites as a laborer. And more week at weekends, invariably cash in hand.
    And laughing at me and my 53 euro a week VEC grant.

And now a lot in the construction game are unemployed with no trade and it's a big adjustment to go work in a bar or shop for minimum wage and take hassle off customers all day.

Maybe better off emigrating, see a bit of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Realy, I remember being in college and my younger brother who quit school pulling 600 euro a week on sites as a laborer. And more week at weekends, invariably cash in hand.
    And laughing at me and my 53 euro a week VEC grant.

And now a lot in the construction game are unemployed with no trade and it's a big adjustment to go work in a bar or shop for minimum wage and take hassle off customers all day.

Maybe better off emigrating, see a bit of the world

I Would love to Get out and see abit of the World. Theres a big world out there and i havent even seen a qurater of it. Ireland is boring for me Right now i would like to Emigrate someday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Rats will always abandon a sinking ship. What is annoying is that they return when the ship is refloated. A huge percentage of 80's emigrants returned here to take advantage of the Celtic Tiger and imho (based on local observation) that these returnees where largely responsible for driving the property boom, with ridiculous lifestyles and no responsibility.( I'd love if there was a way to come up with figures to support that) If the dis-affected would for once STAY then maybe we could change the way we are governed once and for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Rats will always abandon a sinking ship. What is annoying is that they return when the ship is refloated. A huge percentage of 80's emigrants returned here to take advantage of the Celtic Tiger and imho (based on local observation) that these returnees where largely responsible for driving the property boom, with ridiculous lifestyles and no responsibility.( I'd love if there was a way to come up with figures to support that) If the dis-affected would for once STAY then maybe we could change the way we are governed once and for all.

People should be looking after themselves and their family first, sometimes emigrating is the only way to do that

Clearly you think having everybody stay on the dole waiting for the economy to improve is a better strategy

You're entitled to that view

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ClareVisitor

Dave! wrote: »
    People should be looking after themselves and their family first, sometimes emigrating is the only way to do that

Clearly you think having everybody stay on the dole waiting for the economy to improve is a better strategy

I think that the high level of dole is a contributory factor. I know a fella who lost his job here in England and went home to draw dole as it's so much higher in Ireland.

I'm no right-winger by any stretch of the imagination, but the amount of dole paid out in Ireland (especially to people with no dependents) is ridiculous.

Dave! wrote: »

Well they should stay away then....you make your bed and you lie in it. This country could be changed if all those who say F*** It and Leave would get involved in a useful way. I listened to the majority of my Leaving Cert class whinging about what a kip this country was from London and the US for years and then suddenly they were all back to take advantage.....now they are the very ones whinging again. Sometime or other you have to make a stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Rats will always abandon a sinking ship.

Well if our colleges continue to churn out teachers, nurses and engineers among others, and there are no opportunities, they cannot be expected to take up the Aldi and Lidl jobs mentioned previously in this thread. The need to work in what they trained for and if that is on foreign soil until things here pick up then so be it.

This still does not excuse the current governments lack of action, imagination and motivation in tackling the jobs crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Well they should stay away then....you make your bed and you lie in it. This country could be changed if all those who say F*** It and Leave would get involved in a useful way. I listened to the majority of my Leaving Cert class whinging about what a kip this country was from London and the US for years and then suddenly they were all back to take advantage.....now they are the very ones whinging again. Sometime or other you have to make a stand.
    Bullsh*t -- people can come and go as they please, nobody should feel obliged to stay in Ireland on the dole. Maybe things would be slightly better if the skilled workers all stayed in the country, but it wouldn't be much better -- there'd still be hundreds of thousands on the dole (taking money out of the economy).

You're talkin sh*te to be honest

SeaFields wrote: »

This still does not excuse the current governments lack of action, imagination and motivation in tackling the jobs crisis.

We get the governments we deserve. This is a democracy, if the disaffected keep jumping ship, nothing will ever change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Theres still plenty of work in certain sectors. 1.8m people still employed. IT industry is crying out for more talent. Sadly huge numbers of kids were sucked into construction for a quick buck and now are high and dry with no prospect of a job. It'd be interesting to see the unemployment stats minus construction related layoffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

The more people who leave = more opportunities for those who stay.

although i risk a infraction for disagreeing with micky, i must disagree. this simply means that 100,000 non-fianna fail voters have left the country, leaving only parochial-voting saps to ensure another term for brian cowen.
    high emigration will also reduce foreign investment here, and will mean that instead of companies looking at who's left in the country, they will look abroad for talent.

personally, i have a fantastic job that i absolutely love, so i wouldn't say that leaving the country is the only way to have a better life, but i don't see any flaws in the rationale of those that do leave. this place is a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

The more people who leave, the fewer new companies and the fewer major expansions of the companies already here. A shrinking population rarely increases the opportunities for the people who remain.

Don't tell Malthus that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

KerranJast wrote: »
    Theres still plenty of work in certain sectors. 1.8m people still employed. IT industry is crying out for more talent. Sadly huge numbers of kids were sucked into construction for a quick buck and now are high and dry with no prospect of a job. It'd be interesting to see the unemployment stats minus construction related layoffs.

There are not 1.8 million people still employed.

There were 2.1 million at the height of the boom with currently 425,00-450,000 on the dole. Add in another 90-100,000+ on training courses plus an unknown number of Self Employed who are out of work and it is more likely that it is closer to 1.4 million in employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

The dole is like a financial lifeboat to people and serves two purposes:

It makes the government put job creation high up on their agenda. Because of the cost of Dole the govt have to think hard about solving job shortages and wouldn't be bothered if there was lower or no dole.

It brings up the cost of labour to relatively liveable levels, without dole EVERYONEs wages would be reduced by an amount approx equal to the dole so not only would the unemployed suffer but those with weak bargaining power would also suffer.

The threat of being fired would be all the greater if dole was reduced to starvation levels or homelessness became the inevitable result of losing ones job, this would give employers huge bargaining power and result in lower wages for all. I think it best not to give employers a bigger gun than they now have in these hard times........

I would suggest that those who think that the dole is too high should google unemployment or search for it on youtube and see how the US handles its unemployed people. In some cases they have to get up at 5-6 am to travel 100's of miles to their assigned work and the travel time is not counted as part of their days work. What should be 8-9 hour days become 13-14 hour days as a result and the threat of losing all welfare is always there. In other cases children have been taken off mothers for non compliance with near slavery working conditions in low paid jobs and huge power is given into the hands of employers as a result.

While I don't think the draft is back in the US there is a huge temptation for young, uneducated and desperate people to enlist in the armed forces with a consequent risk to life and limb in Americas "War on Terror". In some states restrictions are placed on access to dole for people who turn down an offer to join the military.Of course if you are not fit enough to join you may be able to escape from that bind. Its hard on young, fit people though.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AlexderFranke

In times of severe crisis, gpomg tp work abroad for a certain time is an option instead of being unemployed for a longer period. Furthermore time spent abroad will provide you better chances at home when you will return. Surely time abroad will enrich your life if you are not too afraid of doing so. But I would recommand you to think carefully about this option. For this option certainly does not suit everybody. It depends on your personal profile. I would not advice people to go abroad to whom it is over-difficult to get used to a foreign surrounding and to be far of friends.
    What about going to Scotland or perhaps Wales? These are also celtic-derived nations with far lower rates of unemployment. Scotland is even more related to Ireland than Wales because it is your gaelic sister. And you are near to home. The situation in the whole of Britain is probably even better than in the popular emigration country, the U.S. at the moment.
    Permanent emigration is likely to cause the country to get even worse. It is to the gouvernment and to patriotic companies to keep scilled persons in the country in order to rescue the country from a severe loss. Yes, I think some foreigners working in Ireland on jobs which would otherwise probably get an Irish person should leave. The gouvernment should support those foreigners leaving the country.
    Especially dedicated Irish speakers ought not to go permanently. Please think of your part of responsibility for your national language. You will not encounter as many Irish speakers in the world than in Ireland!

In amanna na géar-scéime sa tír, is fiú gearr-tréimhse a chaitheamh thar lear. Mar beidh seans níos fearr agaibh post a fháil agus sibhse a fhilleadh ar ais agus feabhsóidh sé ag saibhriú do shaol. Ach braitheann sé chomh maith ag an saghas pearsa an bhfuil sé féiliúnach nó nach bhfuil. Mar shampla, ní mholfainn mé dul thar lear do dhaoine le mór-dheacrachtaí a éirí cleachta le nua-thimpeallachtaí agus cairde nua a fháil. Mar sin, déan smaointe cúramacha ar do chinneadh!
    Ach is féidir go ndéanann imirce de dhreamanna móra gan fhilleadh ar ais níos mó dochair ar an tír. Mar sin, is leis an rialtas agus comhlachtaí le tírghrá na lucht ard-oilte a choinneáil sa tír. Ní fíu é don tír an géar-chaill mar sin a fhulaingt!
    Más é bhur dtoil é, a Ghaeilgeoirí, ná imígí go buan! Smaoin ar do chuid freagrachta ar an teanga náisiúnta!
    Cad faoi dhul go dtí an Albain nó an mBreatain beag? Beidh tú gar do do thír dúchasach agus is tír le gaolta leis an Éirinn é go háirithe an Albain. B´fhéidir go bhfoghlaimeoidh tú Gaeilge na hAlban no Breatnais. Agus is dóigh go bhfuil fiú amháin níos mó deiseanna ann le post a fháil sa Bhriotáin faoi seo ná sa tír an-fhaiseanta mar atá na Stáit Aontaithe.
    Sin é mo thuairim ná gur chóir do mhuintir eachtrannacha atá ag obair in Éiinn ar phostanna go mheadh ar dhóigh eile ag Éireannach a fhágail na tíre. Ba chóir don rialtas imeacht cuid muintire eachtrannaigh a thacú.

May the work and luck rise with you! Go n-éirí an obair agus an t-ádh libh!
    Alex

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

And yet the US is one of the most financially successful countries in the world and their recession ended a good while ago.

We're still stuck here paying single people with no kids €200 a week to sit on their holes because they're too proud to take a job stacking shelves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Austerity

And yet the US is one of the most financially successful countries in the world and their recession ended a good while ago.

We're still stuck here paying single people with no kids €200 a week to sit on their holes because they're too proud to take a job stacking shelves.
    Yes the US might be a "financially succesfull" country but many parts of the US I have seen myself look like third world countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

genericguy wrote: »
    although i risk a infraction for disagreeing with micky, i must disagree. this simply means that 100,000 non-fianna fail voters have left the country, leaving only parochial-voting saps to ensure another term for brian cowen.

Sadly I'm pretty sure I can't infract for someone disagreeing although i should really check the mod hand book first :P

you probably have a point on the FF'ers though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I think most of the jobs being advertised by recruitment agencies are phantom jobs. I am going to give it until the new year, no job by then adios.

Advertisement