Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Emigrating the Only way to Find Work and have a Better life These days?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I don't want to leave the country, but unfortunately after 5 years of working for excellent grades at university, and 7 years of reliable on-and-off part time work in several different industries (and in respected roles too, not "student jobs"), I am now back in the same supermarket job that I got when I was 17 and looking for work during my summer holidays. I have always worked for my education, never mooched off parents, and I saved my money when times were good so I still had enough to get by when work wasn't to be found.

I don't want to leave this country in the dumpster, but I'm not running a damn charity here. There are other countries that will pay for my skills and years upon years of hard work, and if I haven't been rewarded here within the next 12 or 18 months, I will be gone, and I won't be made to feel guilty for that.

So for me personally, yes, emigration currently seems to be the only way to get what (I feel) I deserve.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

You patronising ass, when did I ever say I (or the generation to which I belong) was unique? It's human nature to look out for oneself and one's kin - that transcends time. Anyway, whatever happens in this country in the future, it's no skin off my nose if I'm living elsewhere, having a good life and being happy.

Why is it so damn important to you that everyone else throw away a chance at future happiness, just so they can stay and wade through the shít that other people set up for them?

I've said it before and I'll say it again - life's too short. I certainly won't waste mine here if I feel there's nothing for me. I don't see why you're begrudging other people their endeavors for happiness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

RobitTV wrote: »
    Do you think Emigrating from Ireland is probaly the only way To find work? and also have a better quality of life?

About 100,000 people of working age are expected to have left Ireland by the end of this year

Theft has always worked for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

You patronising ass, when did I ever say I (or the generation to which I belong) was unique?

It was a guess.
    Why is it so damn important to you that everyone else throw away a chance at future happiness, just so they can stay and wade through the shít that other people set up for them?

I used to think like that and said the same thing to my dad who stayed here during the 50's and then I seen the flood back into the country of the 80's emigrants and I figured....these people will never be happy.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - life's too short. I certainly won't waste mine here if I feel there's nothing for me. I don't see why you're begrudging other people their endeavors for happiness.

Well, if all the leaders, we agree where 'great' (and more importantly the ordinary people who suppoted them)and the people who effected change had attitudes like that then the world would be a very different place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Happyman42 wrote: »
    And there you have it....another generation thinking they are unique. It's cyclical in this country and the reason for that is that the same thing happens everytime. Who loses ultimately?

Hi Happyman42, do you have a job? If so please tell me what you do for a living and how long you've had that job for.

• Advertisement

Sheeps wrote: »
    Hi Happyman42, do you have a job? If so please tell me what you do for a living and how long you've had that job for.

I have been self employed for 26 yrs. 1 person business, badly affected by the recession, in fact a type of business that gets hit first in a recession.
    I am not gloating in any way, I just think that we as a people have to decide are we always going to be migrants. I stayed in the 80's for that reason. This country has changed in my lifetime in ways that I never thought possible..I think I was part of that..but the baby is about to be thrown out with the bathwater .....AGAIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

Im going to be a qualified mechanical engineer this time next year, as my degree is recognised internationally I will be leaving here. Why? well firstly because I haven't a hope of getting work, then theres the fact that if I touch the dole im no longer attractive to anyone(employers) as im a "lazy bastard". Then theres the fact that due to the lads in charge here helping out themselves and their sponsors, beneficiaries etc. I will be paying for fitzys **** up for the most of my working life, thus making my quality of life less than it should be. Id rather pay property tax etc in the states as its all more up front and honest, the lads running this place are no better than the lads at the end of the bar talking crap.

Theres too many old skoolers without boards accounts who will still vote for them and they will probably get the vote for the next 20 years.

Why the hell should I spend my life paying over the odds for second class transport, medical system, roads, schools, broadband, etc etc etc funk that im going places, im not guna let this place hold me back.

**** the government, if they want the likes of me to stay, GIVE ME A REASON!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i think anyone who has no ties and little hope of getting what they would like here, which is the reality at this moment, should travel outside this country and get themselves a decent job, with a decent wage, as anyone on a half decent wage here are paying for the borrowers who broke the country and the high wages of our heads, and it is going to get worse, i would to leave, but my spouse will not, so go on, have a great life, here we have not bottomed out yet, god help us

I'm going to call you Happymeal42 from now on because thats how seriously I take your opinion.

So, because you stayed and suffered the ill effects of the recession in the 80s, you think people today should also suck it up and stay? "For the good of the country" blah blah blah.

• Advertisement

Why? well firstly because I haven't a hope of getting work, then theres the fact that if I touch the dole im no longer attractive to anyone(employers) as im a "lazy bastard".
    If you really think this then you are retarded. The reason the dole exists is exactly for times like these.

If you really think this then you are retarded. The reason the dole exists is exactly for times like these.

Why?

That's true, but for some reason there is still a stigma attached to the dole - as if anyone who's on it is on par with the "lifers".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

That's true, but for some reason there is still a stigma attached to the dole - as if anyone who's on it is on par with the "lifers".

dole is last post for anyone, so if moving to another country or the dole are the choices, i would pick going,

The dole IMO is for people who had jobs to get by until they get a new job, for families etc not early 20's graduates first "job". No matter how bad, if I come out of college and go straight to dole then every week I receive it then im getting more unemployable. Theres ****loads of alternatives for me but none profitable aside fr9om leaving the country. How am i retarded?

You're not. Go, if you feel you must, and don't let the begrudgers guilt you into staying. You should check out the job market here when you graduate, before resigning yourself to emigration (if you're reluctant to go that is).

Edit to add:
    goat2 wrote: »
    dole is last post for anyone, so if moving to another country or the dole are the choices, i would pick going,

For the record, I agree with you. I was just stating that for some reason there IS a stigma attached to people on the dole - whether between jobs or on it for life. It's not right, it's just the way it is. I'll be emigrating in 2 years time if there's no work here for me, rather than be stuck on the dole with no prospects for the foreseeable future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

The election is like a Menu.

If you like nothing on the Menu, you leave the restaurant.

Happy you say you are asking people to fight for Ireland , but what your really asking them to do is do time for her. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 master_chief

Can one explain me, how come so many people here talk about hard times, emigrating and leaving country, where I cannot get seat in a bar on weekend night, I cannot buy ticket for a gig (all sold out), I cannot book for *private* medical treatment for the day I need it and all I can see is 8, 9, and 10D cars around my apartment's car park, etc. etc.

Yeah this is great poverty indeed...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

RobitTV wrote: »
    Do you think Emigrating from Ireland is probaly the only way To find work? and also have a better quality of life?

About 100,000 people of working age are expected to have left Ireland by the end of this year

No, some people just aren't looking hard enough and to me it seems like an awful lot of people don't know how.
    Many are finishing college and genuinly expecting to just swan into an over paying career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭sunshineoh9

this thread has worried me... how the feck will an american get a job over there if native irish can't???? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kitty-kitty

There *is* trouble with a lot of people turning up their noses at customer service type jobs (i.e. fast food, supermarket checkouts) but there's also a lot of trouble for those that try from the employer's end. A lot of companies have realised they have a huge expendable workforce, and abuse it.

Companies like Dunnes and Tesco's have recently been taking people on 6 month contracts and at the end of their contracts, simply not renewing them so that they don't have to give them a rise, and hiring on a fresh batch of employees. In the Dunnes I worked in, all but three employees were flexitime (Dunnes chose their hours, 20 - 39 hours a week) and one of my friends who is still there has been there for three years (one of the lucky few) and is nearly always the most senior person in her section, and always gets closer to 20 hours (so that they don't have to pay her as much of her €10-an-hour wage) which is difficult to live on because it's slightly more than the dole.

I'm not saying people are right to turn up their noses at customer service jobs. They're not. But no-one's making it at all tempting for them to take said jobs in Ireland when, if they stick it out, they might end up like my friend, if they manage to hang in there at all.

I think that the high level of dole is a contributory factor. I know a fella who lost his job here in England and went home to draw dole as it's so much higher in Ireland.

In fairness, dole is higher in Ireland, just like everything else.
    It's all relative.
    Well if our colleges continue to churn out teachers, nurses and engineers among others, and there are no opportunities, they cannot be expected to take up the Aldi and Lidl jobs mentioned previously in this thread.
    They bloody well can, they have nobody to blame but themselves if they study for four years to work in a field that has no jobs.
    Now that the Celtic Tiger is gone people can start getting a realistic view of their own worth and take a job because it pays the bills, instead of turning their nose up at it because they are too good for it.

I'm going to call you Happymeal42 from now on because thats how seriously I take your opinion.

Well off you go then, but remember you are 'economic migrants' and if you are under 30 you come from the generation who got it all or the most any generation got in this country's history. So don't be whinging from aboard about what a kip this country is or looking back with misty eyed romanticism and sending money and your support to terrorists and the like.
    Effectively, you are countryless (your choice) and it just gets in the way of the people who want to try and change things. It may sound harsh but I have seen this slamming the door before in far worse times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Can one explain me, how come so many people here talk about hard times, emigrating and leaving country, where I cannot get seat in a bar on weekend night, I cannot buy ticket for a gig (all sold out), I cannot book for *private* medical treatment for the day I need it and all I can see is 8, 9, and 10D cars around my apartment's car park, etc. etc.

Yeah this is great poverty indeed...:eek:

Because obviously the recession has not hit your part of the world. Leave D4 once in a while and you will see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

"So don't be" "sending money and your support to terrorists and the like."

WTF?

syklops wrote: »
    Because obviously the recession has not hit your part of the world. Leave D4 once in a while and you will see it.

Cheap shot, but he is right, I live in what would be called a 'traditional economic blackspot' and it isn't any where near as bad as it was in the 80's, it's not good and the outlook isn't good but I don't see the standard of living going down nor do I see it going down to what it was.
    You can be sure of one thing though....the same demographic will take the biggest hit; the young and the lower paid, why? because it's muscle (voting power) have deserted.
    This country elected a woman, non establishment party member to the Presidency because enough people wanted her in that office. This country broke the hold and influence of the Church because enough people wanted that to happen. What we need to make real change is enough people.

deisedevil wrote: »
    WTF?

The worst type of emigrant imo, the 'republican' at a Bronx or London fireside chucking stones from the sidelines while others get their hands bloody and dirty.

The worst type of emigrant imo, the 'republican' at a Bronx or London fireside chucking stones from the sidelines while others get their hands bloody and dirty.

/thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

but remember you are 'economic migrants' and if you are under 30 you come from the generation who got it all or the most any generation got in this country's history.

I really want to know what in the name of God did I get out of this country? I stayed in school, leaving cert in 05, worked the few hours I could in pubs all through college, graduated 09 with a science degree and now working an office job an hour drive away for barely more than minimum wage because even if the right job is available I have no experience compared to someone of your generation who got laid off and can now saunter into a new job looking down at those queuing up for jobs or dole around the country because they have "experience". I'd love to emigrate to improve my quality of life but even that will take a while due to car loan, student loan and of course the ridiculous cost of living here. I love Ireland and don't want to leave but unless I can secure a slightly better job before Christmas I'm gone. I didn't have a chance to earn during the Celtic Tiger and so got completely shafted just like 90% of the graduates in this country in the last few years

• Advertisement

I really want to know what in the name of God did I get out of this country? I stayed in school, leaving cert in 05, worked the few hours I could in pubs all through college, graduated 09 with a science degree and now working an office job an hour drive away for barely more than minimum wage because even if the right job is available I have no experience compared to someone of your generation who got laid off and can now saunter into a new job looking down at those queuing up for jobs or dole around the country because they have "experience". I'd love to emigrate to improve my quality of life but even that will take a while due to car loan, student loan and of course the ridiculous cost of living here. I love Ireland and don't want to leave but unless I can secure a slightly better job before Christmas I'm gone. I didn't have a chance to earn during the Celtic Tiger and so got completely shafted just like 90% of the graduates in this country in the last few years

Please understand the content of my posts. I have no problem with people emigrating for the reasons you outline and I think it is healthy that the young leave for a while, in fact I think it should nearly be mandatory.
    I am talking about the high proportion who leave for purely selfish motives. I know people in good jobs planning to leave because their lifestyles have taken a bit of a hit. Invariably these are the very people who departed in the eighties and came back only when the going got better. No responsibilty because they have nothing invested or invest nothing only money.
    When I went to college I was in the minority, people went bcause they wanted to, therefore, the responibilty to succeed was with the student.
    In the mid 2000's I took a part time job lecturing in a college and I could not fathom the amount of students in the system who had no interest in being there. The 'waste' inherent in that situation is incredible. I eventually give up the job because of that, it was like trying to teach a primary class, college for these spoiled brats was just an extension of their social lives and the education system facilitated it because I wasn't allowed to turn anybody down for a place and had to pass a high percentage. It was a numbers game. Absolute nonsense.
    Everybody in this country HAS to take responibility and make a long term investment because like it or not we are going to have to live in the REAL world.

Advertisement