Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Emigrating the Only way to Find Work and have a Better life These days?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Anyone who emigrates instead of sitting on the dole after coming out of uni, is in fact helping Ireland.

The experience they pick up abroad in their graduate employment and subsequent experience, added to life learning will enhance this country both in terms of skilled experience workforce and in terms of social maturation. We as a country need to encourage these people and welcome them back when the time has come for their much needed outlook and experience when we give rebirth to the Celtic Tiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

http://www.anphoblacht.com/news/images/2009/10/08/yes-to-jobs-poster.jpg

Irish politicians are retarded and aren't dying out soon enough, I'm leaving with degree in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

http://www.anphoblacht.com/news/images/2009/10/08/yes-to-jobs-poster.jpg

Irish politicians are retarded and aren't dying out soon enough, I'm leaving with degree in hand.

That still angers me.. I particularly like this poster. It's funny, when you suggest to anyone who was firmly on the Yes side in the run up to Lisbon II, that the only reason people changed their minds second time round was because of the scare mongering used by campaigners on that side they immediately bring up the equally ludicrous claims made by some on the No side.. as if that makes their own tactics any more acceptable. They'll even go as far as to say that nothing was implicitly stated about the importance of the treaty for the recovery of Ireland's economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

anyone emigrating from ireland should be made pay there education cost's back to the state

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

anyone emigrating from ireland should be made pay there education cost's back to the state

That's an interesting point, but in fairness, the individual has to pay alot towards education themselves.

• Advertisement

That's an interesting point, but in fairness, the individual has to pay alot towards education themselves.
    the government provides free 3rd level education so people can upskill,
    and contribute to the irish economy.people who swan off the second they come out of college should pay the money back

what a poxy 1500!! while it probaly cost 20000 to educate them.
    they probaly get a grant too,so they get the money back.
    and yet they sit behind a computer and complain. Please
    they would'nt know hardship if it smack them in the face
    parasite's adios dont come back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

the government provides free 3rd level education so people can upskill,
    and contribute to the irish economy.people who swan off the second they come out of college should pay the money back

What good is paying the money back? There should be a stipulation that states that anyone granted a place in college is expected to remain here for a certain amount of time after graduating, provided there are jobs. For every one person that gets a place in college, how many are losing out on the same? Preference should be given to those who actually want to stay in the country after finishing college

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

@saywhatyousee

So its better to have college graduates on the dole?

Pay them to stay and do nothing or charge them to leave?

Ludicrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

what a poxy 1500!!

As well as food, accomodation, transport, books, other materials, etc..

But no, you go right ahead, don't let the facts get in the way of a good old fashioned ignorant rant about students.

• Advertisement

there are jobs out there if you look hard enough.
    perhaps i phrased my last comment harshly.
    i just hate this attitude "when i walk out of college i want 40000 per annum and if i dont get it i am out of here"
    and the majority of people that emigrate usally end up taking jobs
    that they would'nt take in ireland.my brother is in austrailia,
    he works in a bar over there however you would'nt catch him dead working in a bar here

Morkarleth wrote: »
    As well as food, accomodation, transport, books, other materials, etc..

But no, you go right ahead, don't let the facts get in the way of a good old fashioned ignorant rant about students.
    do you agree third level education is heavily subsidised in ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

i just hate this attitude "when i walk out of college i want 40000 per annum and if i dont get it i am out of here"

It's not unreasonable to work your ass off for 4+ years and expect to be able to put what you've learned into practice.

If you're lucky enough to get a grant you'll more than likely be okay. Even then it's still means tested.

I object to your caricature of what students are like, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

Leaving aside you're blanket rant, I would agree partially.

I personally see a huge number of students who are on grants paid for by their respective Local Authorities combined in some cases with a book grant of up to 500 EUR. A high number of these people don't always attend lectures, don't study, and don't put in the effort when compared to other who are paying for the privilege.

Some mature students this year are actually paying full Student Services fee of 1,500 plus Tuition fees of 1,495 due to them already having a third level qualification but needing to go back to college in an attempt to get a degree in a new area of expertise.

Morkarleth wrote: »
    It's not unreasonable to work your ass off for 4+ years and expect to be able to put what you've learned into practice.

If you're lucky enough to get a grant you'll more than likely be okay. Even then it's still means tested.

I object to your caricature of what students are like, though.
    i am only out of college two years myself
    i just believe i should contribute back to the state my cost of education.
    and a good percentage of people get a grant i say about 70%
    (of my old class anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'm sick of all the bitching. Just move and go quietly you big quitters.

If you're going to stay, yeah it's tough, but the US is in a far worse position than us and many countries are in the same shítty position. Just take it and be quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

OisinT wrote: »

If you're going to stay, yeah it's tough, but the US is in a far worse position than us and many countries are in the same shítty position. Just take it and be quiet.

Do you not agree that people have a right to be angry after everything that has occurred over the last two years? The public are still being lied to, but that seems to be acceptable.

ILA wrote: »
    Do you not agree that people have a right to be angry after everything that has occurred over the last two years? The public are still being lied to, but that seems to be acceptable.
    rats and yellowbellies jump ship.if ireland goes down well i'll go down with it too.

ILA wrote: »
    The public are, for the most part, absolute morons who got themselves in this trouble. Nobody complains about the government telling fibs when everyone is getting rich off of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

I'm not going for monetary purposes, I'm going to distance myself from the narrow-mindedness seen above.

At the end of the day, it's the gombeens who stay in the country, hence the governments of the past 8 decades.
    The smart, skilled ones emigrate and made something out of life.
    Sad but true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The smart, skilled ones emigrate and made something out of life.
    Sad but true.

But they all came back.
    True but Sad.:D

I'm not going for monetary purposes, I'm going to distance myself from the narrow-mindedness seen above.

At the end of the day, it's the gombeens who stay in the country, hence the governments of the past 8 decades.
    The smart, skilled ones emigrate and magoodde something out of life.
    Sad but true.
    good luck finding the magical country not run by morons who lie to the public. I am smart, skilled and have a job that pays well - why would I leave? hell property is dirt cheap now... maybe I'll buy a holiday home but I have no reason to emigrate. No need to tar everyone with the same brush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

rats and yellowbellies jump ship.if ireland goes down well i'll go down with it too.

Yes, people who don't want to pay for the mistakes of failed business men )who only got to where they are because of the tent they went to at the Galway races) are rats and yellowbellys.
    Maybe some people want to work and not sit and watch a country crumble. ireland is a glorified failed state.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    But they all came back.

Maybe some people would actually like to live in Ireland instead of abroad.

OisinT wrote: »

Delusional at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

fontanalis wrote: »
    Maybe some people would actually like to live in Ireland instead of abroad.

Those that made it so attractive have done alright then, think what could happen if everyone 'invested' and took responsibility. Because that is what is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

fontanalis wrote: »
    Delusional at best.

USA have a debt per capita 70% higher than Ireland's, and a GDP per capita 20% lower than Ireland's.

Not so delusional really.

(figures derived from the world bank's website).

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

In fairness, dole is higher in Ireland, just like everything else.
    It's all relative.

They bloody well can, they have nobody to blame but themselves if they study for four years to work in a field that has no jobs.
    Now that the Celtic Tiger is gone people can start getting a realistic view of their own worth and take a job because it pays the bills, instead of turning their nose up at it because they are too good for it.

I don't usually do this but here I must make an exception. OMFG! Are you in the council? Bus driver? The theme here seems to be emigrate or stay here and stick it out, either way theres arguments for and against. If we leave then nothing will change but WE will have better opportunities, if we stay we're paying for someone else's mistake, but we can make a change with our vote and try and rebuild the place. Your comment is BS. Are you saying no-one here should train to be engineers? Why? Because theres no jobs? What field is there plenty of jobs in exactly? A field that you need a degree for?

There is a lack of jobs in every sector! Does this mean we should all not bother going to college? just sit into a cushy number in centra? Sure feck it what would ya want a fancy degree for when theres hot chicken roles to be made for the lads.

An engineering degree is not an easy thing to get but it is essential if this place is to have any attraction to multi-nationals etc. our two main attractions are low corporate tax and high skilled workers.
    But theres a shortage of jobs, lets all join the council or some other piece of **** job like yours where ambition, decision making and creativity is punishable by death or something.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Happyman42 wrote: »
    But they all came back.
    How do you know they all came back?
    And of those who did come back, why does it bother you?
    If they hadn't have come back with their skills and experience from abroad, the economy in the 90s wouldn't have developed the way it did.

You really have to get your priorities straight in who you should direct your anger at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I really want to know what in the name of God did I get out of this country? I stayed in school, leaving cert in 05, worked the few hours I could in pubs all through college, graduated 09 with a science degree and now working an office job an hour drive away for barely more than minimum wage because even if the right job is available I have no experience compared to someone of your generation who got laid off and can now saunter into a new job looking down at those queuing up for jobs or dole around the country because they have "experience". I'd love to emigrate to improve my quality of life but even that will take a while due to car loan, student loan and of course the ridiculous cost of living here. I love Ireland and don't want to leave but unless I can secure a slightly better job before Christmas I'm gone. I didn't have a chance to earn during the Celtic Tiger and so got completely shafted just like 90% of the graduates in this country in the last few years

to you, i say, be proud of your achievements, and dont let anyone make you think you owe this place anything, you are a hardworking well educated person who will do very well.

Advertisement