Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Emigrating the Only way to Find Work and have a Better life These days?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Happyman42 wrote: »
    With regard to my classmates I would say that a fair few of them bought houses abroad, thats how settled they were. But the lure of Ireland in better times proved too strong.

So I have A house here in Oz. If I decided to sell that house and move back if things get all fantastic again come 2014. What would your position be that I am not welcome? Even if the reasons I am returning are not economic.

Because I did not sit on the dole and wait for better times? Yes I did leave a job when I left but my leaving opened a position for person X who left another good job opening a position for person Y who stopped signing on the dole.

In the boom years we could not get staff. In 1999-2000 my company flew an IT engineer from Sydney for interview alone! If the boom time comes around again we will need the skillled Irish wanting to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭delonglad

I think organising locally may be the only solution Amhrain Nua. There is nothing a pothole filler is scared of more than his electors turning on him. A campaign of escalating civil disobedience until certain things are done. Up to and including witholding taxes (not defaulting on them, witholding them) We have to force the governments hand in dealing with this crisis equitably (but I am not expert enough to know what that witholding might cause).

This is one of the biggest problems in Ireland, the pothole fillers, most of them never even fill a pothole. Any politicians I know stem from a dynasty or are attracted by the expenses they get for a job that involves ridiculously short hours, a few photo ops after someone else did some work. In fact I voted for a guy last time round that actually had moral values and good ideas but he was too young and too well educated to be a politician.

Back on point how will civil disobedience help, if anything it will drive more people to emigrate. We already have civil disobedience with all the scumbags that live in modern Ireland. Crime is through the roof, drugs are everywhere in every class of citizen and the man on the street is just a victim of a corrupt and frankly rotten society. The gangsters stem from the very bottom class to the top at the dail and any honest Irish person knows people like this. From the young tradesman who shafted people to dry line a wall to the people who run the country.

A revolution would be needed and will never happen. Even then who will run the country when this is all over?? FG, Labour, SF or some new party again corrupted by power?? The world we live in today is a different place to 10 years ago never mind the 80's. The guys in power now are bad but in my opinion they are the best of a bad lot. I'd like to see people elected to the Dail not parties. Offer everyone an opinion. Whats a back bencher now a days?? Most just lie down and accept whats said for fear of losing their pay cheque!!

I love Ireland but it really is in a bad place at the moment and the biggest people to blame are ourselves! Our own ignorance got us here, the corrupt set it in place but we fueled it in one way or another. Nobody can deny it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

@Happyman42
    People can come and go if they want. B**ching about it on boards.ie isn't gonna change anything. Its their choice.
    Maybe you should do us all a favor and....emigrate :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

delonglad wrote: »
    This is one of the biggest problems in Ireland, the pothole fillers, most of them never even fill a pothole. Any politicians I know stem from a dynasty or are attracted by the expenses they get for a job that involves ridiculously short hours, a few photo ops after someone else did some work. In fact I voted for a guy last time round that actually had moral values and good ideas but he was too young and too well educated to be a politician.

Back on point how will civil disobedience help, if anything it will drive more people to emigrate. We already have civil disobedience with all the scumbags that live in modern Ireland. Crime is through the roof, drugs are everywhere in every class of citizen and the man on the street is just a victim of a corrupt and frankly rotten society. The gangsters stem from the very bottom class to the top at the dail and any honest Irish person knows people like this. From the young tradesman who shafted people to dry line a wall to the people who run the country.

A revolution would be needed and will never happen. Even then who will run the country when this is all over?? FG, Labour, SF or some new party again corrupted by power?? The world we live in today is a different place to 10 years ago never mind the 80's. The guys in power now are bad but in my opinion they are the best of a bad lot. I'd like to see people elected to the Dail not parties. Offer everyone an opinion. Whats a back bencher now a days?? Most just lie down and accept whats said for fear of losing their pay cheque!!

I love Ireland but it really is in a bad place at the moment and the biggest people to blame are ourselves! Our own ignorance got us here, the corrupt set it in place but we fueled it in one way or another. Nobody can deny it.

Hit the nail on the head, and it's really sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

The guys in power now are bad but in my opinion they are the best of a bad lot. I'd like to see people elected to the Dail not parties.
    I've never seen a ballot sheet that offers me the choice of voting for FF or FG, have you? People are elected to the Dáil, not parties, which is the problem - the party's policies don't matter a damn as long as the potholes are filled. As for the best of a bad lot, I'll refrain from comment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I am continually being characterised as being somebody who said that all emigration is wrong. From my very first post on this thread I have been careful about pinpointing the type of 'emigrant' I am talking about.
    If you wish to engage with me please step up from the juvenile taunts and read my posts. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I am continually being characterised as being somebody who said that all emigration is wrong. From my very first post on this thread I have been careful about pinpointing the type of 'emigrant' I am talking about.
    If you wish to engage with me please step up from the juvenile taunts and read my posts. :rolleyes:

Fair enough but the impression I have is if you leave due to bad times and expect to come back when times are good. You would view them in a bad light?

Anti social behaviou should not be confused with a targeted campaign of civil disobedience. Futile acts of expressing rage- like driving cement mixers at Dail Eireann -are just that, futile. What has to happen is a coming together of vested interests and the formulation of an escalating campaign of withdrawing from their 'tactile' support of this Government. I would suggest that it's first demand is the revealation of all information on the state of our country held by the Government. For instance, exactly who are these bondholders.

I couldn't agree more and only anger mongers could deny that, but with the greatest of respect, that will get us nowhere. Accept it, and attempt to change it rather than play the blame game and give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Juvenile taunts? Like your "rats" remark near the start of the thread?

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Fair enough but the impression I have is if you leave due to bad times and expect to come back when times are good. You would view them in a bad light?

I have said that some people have to leave in a recession, the type of emigrant I am targeting are those who leave and reside in another country with the sole purpose of 'taking', they give nothing back whatsoever and moan continually from abroad about the ****hole they left behind.
    Then when things get better they move back to similiarly exploit and take, in the country of their birth. And again they fail to engage, and always, always are the first to moan when their affluence is threatened even if it is in the greater good. I see and listen to this type of person every day of the week. Hugely vocal and raging against the machine, but when it comes to any committment to change they run.
    You can emigrate and stay engaged with the country as I suspect you have. Would the people I am talking about vote if they had a 'postal vote'? Pigs might fly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Plenty of work for smart, well qualified people. I guess the low lying fruit is the first to get bruised...

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    I've never seen a ballot sheet that offers me the choice of voting for FF or FG, have you? People are elected to the Dáil, not parties, which is the problem - the party's policies don't matter a damn as long as the potholes are filled. As for the best of a bad lot, I'll refrain from comment.

Sorry my point might not have come across. What I meant was a Dail that is made up of people from different parties running the country. As in not just FF in power or FG, Labour, SF etc. That way I think everyones views would be on the table. Make them work the full year with the same holiday benefits as the ordinary worker, if they work overtime like normal people they'll get paid for it. At the end of the day its a job not some sort of noble tag.

I think that would lead to a clear out of all the jokers. At the moment the system isn't working. Outside of Dublin your lucky to have a local representative in the Dail and if he's in the opposition he's useless as the opposing party will not listen. Have a look at the transport system and rail networks. Places are cut off from the big smoke and the Dail couldn't give a hoot and neither could most people from the big towns and cities!! As long as their buses and the luas are going on time their happy. Its the "as long as its not on my doorstep" mentality en-stowed in much of Ireland! Its sad but so very true.

As for not commenting on the best of the bad bunch, i'm not a supporter of FF nor any other political party in this country as their all the same. I support a local candidate who will never make it because of the system. Which party do you support and why?

Emigration is a right not a privilege! Most people don't want to do it but have no choice. I know there are a few people who dislike Ireland and get out for the hatred of the country but others do it for reasons uncontrolled by their desire to love their country.

Morkarleth wrote: »
    Juvenile taunts? Like your "rats" remark near the start of the thread?
    Is Ireland a ship?
    'Rats leaving a sinking ship' is a METAPHOR.
    If you can't understand why somebody uses metaphor I suggest you switch the internet off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Perhaps not. The grass always looks greener on the other side. Nine times out of ten your destination will have similar problems to the city you just left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Which party do you support and why?
    You probably have signatures turned off, www.amhrannua.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I didn't have sigs on either, good looking website, I'll read it later.

I actually think that changing and streamlining our political system is one of the most important things we could do to stop future bouts of emmigration. Middle management has to be removed or at least trimmed severely. No more of the likes of FF setting up new committees every second day.

Yeah their blocked or something until I get 25 posts. Nice website I shall have a read when I get home from work.

EDIT:

Just looked at your discussions forum, the website has been dead since April with only spam all over it. The latest topic sounds like a bunch of lost souls clinging onto some hope this Ronan guy (Leader maybe) will come back. Strange..

Advertisement