Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the times down.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

5 miles at 7:20 during lunch. Hip was ok until mile 3. Hard to know what to do. I'll have a better idea after tomorrow's run hopefully.

Thur - 9.25 miles at 8:00.
    Sat - 6 miles: 1 at 8:00, 1 at 6:18, 1 at 6:25, 2 at 7:40.
    Sun - 15.25 at 8:00.

3 miles warm up followed by 10x 400 at 1:25. 2 miles cool down.

5.25 miles. I kept the 5 at just under the 7:00 mark, then a short cooldown.

I got a wave from another guy out running; he must've been at least 80. Great thing to see. If I ever get to that age I'd love to be able to get a few miles in!

3 miles warm up at 8:00.
    8x 400m at 1:20
    2 miles warm down.

I enjoyed those 400s and definitely had 1 or 2 more in the tank. It would be great to eventually extend that pace out to 800m and miles.

Hip pain is almost gone. I'll see how the long run goes on Sunday. If it's still there at all, I will get physio.

• Advertisement

First run in a while, things got in the way of training.

Went for the screws in the shoes approach and got in 5.25 miles at 7:40 avg. That includes 2 breaks: one to return snowball fire at a bunch of teenagers and one to push a car up a hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Some great running there Paddy. Best of luck with the goals for 2011.
    Neil

Thanks a mill Neil. Haven't broken any land speed records yet but I'll keep plugging away :D

Same to you, will keep an eye on your log.

6.25 at 7:53. Soft and slushy out there. Running in this weather is a bit of craic, but I'll be damned if I can get any quality training done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

cwgatling wrote: »
    6.25 at 7:53. Soft and slushy out there. Running in this weather is a bit of craic, but I'll be damned if I can get any quality training done.

Treadmill time Paddy. You wont get any kind of quality sessions in while its like that outside. JD has some great treadmill sessions in his book, Ive been doing them myself and theyre as good(if not better)than what you'd do outdoors.

• Advertisement

Sound advice! Miserable conditions underfoot for the last while.

Training has been sparse. A few 5-6 milers in the snow and 2 good treadmill sessions. 1 of 7 miles at 6:50 average and 1 today like this:
    10 min warm up
    5x 5 min hard at 6% grade with 4 min easy at 1% recovery. The hour flew.

Yesterday - 7 mins warmup, 15 mins tempo, 7 min cool down. On the treadmill.

Tonight - 6x 800 at 3:05. 2 mile cooldown. No warmup because I got there late.

Right, shocking lack of training due to snow, house move and another chest infection. Only recent runs of note have been a few tempo sessions on the treadmill (6:30, 6:15, 6:00 miles for the tempo bits) and a 10 miler on the roads at 7:35.

2011 goals - 5k: 18:30, 10k: 40, half: 1:30, full: 3:15
    Hopefully all in the first 6 months.

Best of luck to all in the New Year!

7.5 at 7:50 last night.

This honestly felt like 7:20 pace. I tried to push it to 7:30 but it wouldn't happen. Weak as a kitten these days :rolleyes:

Starting to get back into the swing of it.

Sun: 5 @7:20
    Mon: 7.5@8:40
    Tues: 7.5@7:35

I hope to start P&D's 18-55 marathon plan next week. The first run has a 4 mile @7:00 sandwiched between 2x 2miles easy. It is scaring the bejaysus out of me.

8.5 miles at 8:10, warmup and cooldown included. Nice handy run around Tymon Park in the dark.

12.8 miles at 8:15. I wanted to do this at 7:40 pace, but the path around the reservoir was like a skating rink. I should have gone somewhere else. Splits all over the shop, from 7:06 to 9:57. There were a few Torville and Dean moments, but luckily I didn't fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jacquib

Thought I may as well start a log here to stop me slacking off! I hope to go sub 40 for 10k, sub 1.30 for HM in the next 6 months or so. That's over a minute off both my current PBs.

Mon - 7.25 at 7:20
    Tues - 4 at 7:20
    Wed - rest
    Thur - 1 mile warmup then 10x 800m at 3:05
    Im hopin 2 do a sub 40 4 10k & sub 1.30 4 HM as well dis yr. Previous best 4 10k is 40.21 & 4 HM is 1.31.08. R u followin a certain programme? If so can u let me know

Good stuff. Your times are faster than mine. I'm not following a specific programme for those distances, but I am hoping that the marathon training will do the job.

To be honest, until last Autumn, my training was all over the shop. I am going to do the 18-55 marathon plan and I figure that the bit of discipline, long runs etc will be enough to shave off a few minutes.

That said, looking back now, I can't see how I ever ran 7:00/mile for 13.1 :rolleyes:

Best of luck - if you want details of that marathon plan, let me know.

4 @ 7:30 and a last one at 8:00. Lots of people out running and walking tonight - good to see.

• Advertisement

11.2 miles at 8:05. Bit slower than I would have liked. Still haven't gotten rid of this chest thing fully.

I was up @ d resovoir on sunday @ 8.30 am, it was very bad up der. I do a lot of runnin in Tymon Park as well:). I done a speed session ystrday. 5 sets of (200m @ 42 sec, 200m rec x 2, 400m @ 86 sec, 400m rec). Im followin a programme in Jack Daniels book

I was hungover so it was about 4 when I got up there, but yeah it was brutal. I did 1 lap of the whole thing and did the rest on the roads. Tymon would have been a way better bet.

Good call on Daniels - I am going to go with his plan rather than P&D. I like the idea of just the 2 prescribed quality sessions. It fits in better with the type of training I do at the moment. So this week should be a 44 mile one for me.

Im followin d 5k-15k plan & its 2 sessions 1 wk & 3 d nxt. Wot mara r u plannin on doin? Im tinkin of doin Dublin dis yr.

They are brilliant plans. Some serious speed work in that 5-15k. I'm doing the Kildare marathon in May. Hopefully get to do Dublin as well though.

4 miles tonight. 3 at about 7:50 and one at 6:44.

I done a warm up, den 4 x 1m @ 6.44 pace, altho my 1st was 2 quick @ 6.32, den cool down. Takin it easy rest of wk as im doin Dublin masters xc on sun in Raheny

That's good running. Looks like our tempo paces are the same. Best of luck in the XC!

Tonight was my first Q session, so 6x(4 mins at 5k pace, 3 mins at easy pace). I ran 18.50 something last year for 5k, so these should have been all at 6:00 pace or under. Actual paces were 6:11, 6:14, 6:16, 6:20, 6:22, 6:28.
    I see a bit of a trend there :rolleyes:

9.6 miles at 7:36 for the night.

2 miles at 7:50. Recovery/curiosity run.

Jesus it is rough out there. Well done to all racing in this weather. Some great times posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Been looking at your thread. We've got similar times. I've done 39'40 for 10k, 1.28.07 for Half and hoping for 3.10 for first marathon in April.

I'll keep an eye on this log.

Heading out in the morning for a 28/29 km job. Hope to be about 5 min/km pace. Maybe a bit more if I'm feeling heavy, or a tiny bit under 5 if I'm in good form.

• Advertisement

That's good running. Looks like our tempo paces are the same. Best of luck in the XC!

Tonight was my first Q session, so 6x(4 mins at 5k pace, 3 mins at easy pace). I ran 18.50 something last year for 5k, so these should have been all at 6:00 pace or under. Actual paces were 6:11, 6:14, 6:16, 6:20, 6:22, 6:28.
    I see a bit of a trend there :rolleyes:

9.6 miles at 7:36 for the night.

I got 3rd in d Dublin Masters XC 2day & 1st 0/40, was well pleased wi my run.:)

Advertisement