Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Bout Dem Bears?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The bears WRs have dropped so many passes, it would have been a far different game if they caught even half of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Wow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Titans going to lose this

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Ridiculous amount of drops.

2 drops in the endzone to end the game. Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,857 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Danny Trevathan out now, possibly an ACL. Because of ****ing course he is.

So who is our most high profile player now on the field who hasn't yet been injured or suspended? Honestly I can't think of who it might be, probably Cody Whitehair or Jordan Howard? Fingers crossed for them anyway.

I can't help but think that "bad luck" can only explain so much before you have to start asking questions of the strength and conditioning coaches. Something is clearly not right in how these guys are being gotten into shape for gameday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Danny Trevathan out now, possibly an ACL. Because of ****ing course he is.

So who is our most high profile player now on the field who hasn't yet been injured or suspended? Honestly I can't think of who it might be, probably Cody Whitehair or Jordan Howard? Fingers crossed for them anyway.

I can't help but think that "bad luck" can only explain so much before you have to start asking questions of the strength and conditioning coaches. Something is clearly not right in how these guys are being gotten into shape for gameday.

Ruptured patellar tendon for Trevathan. Horrible injury.

Best thing that can happen now is no more injuries and lose the rest of the way to get a top 3 pick.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Ruptured patellar tendon for Trevathan. Horrible injury.

Best thing that can happen now is no more injuries and lose the rest of the way to get a top 3 pick.

Yeah, to lose out at this point is probably the best thing that could happen given that we're not even watching young up and coming Bears stars, just back ups, and back ups to back ups. Still want to beat the Packers though.

Interestingly enough we could finish 2-14 and still not get a top three pick. Which would be just about as "worst of both worlds" as you could get and would pretty much sum up this crappy season.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

So the Bears win today. Feck sake....?! :(:pac:

Are we good or next year good? 2 bad teams but the D is potentially good

D looked good alright and Fangio had plenty of motivation, but the 9ers were absolutely shocking so I wouldn't read too much into it. Except to say that Lloyd is really looking like he was a good pick. The sack at the end was great. Watching him and Howard today you would have to say we have some great young talent to look forward to next year, and we don't get to celebrate wins often, but this really does destroy our draft position, and I would love for us to have a high pick, now that we seem to have a GM who can do something good with it.

As an aside, I know Barkley has played two poor teams but he's looking like he Might be a solid back up guy.

• Advertisement

So how are we feeling about this weekend? Our draft position is not what it used to be but we don't look like we have many more wins left on the schedule. Beating a divisional opponent is always nice but in the unlikely event of it happening I can't help but worry that all we would be doing is assisting the Packers.

Anyway yesterday there was a rumour that Fangio was on the chopping block. The whole thing had a stink of bull**** about it seeing as how a) he is the only coaching bright spot we have and b) the reporter (for the Tribune no less) has already been caught out making up a story from either thin air or dodgy sources once this year. Anyway they came out and categorically denied it today. Which is nice.

Also noticed that NFL.com's most recent Top 25 rookie rankings include THREE Bears, more than any other team (and incidentally there's only one other rookie from the division). Not sure how much stock I put in such a ranking list, but by any measure, Pace knocked it out of the park with Floyd (most sacks of any rookie), Howard (on pace for 1000 yards despite not being the no.1 RB until several weeks into the season), and Whitehair (an absolute steal and the heart of a very solid O-line interior when everyone is healthy). If he has another draft like that (and especially does a half decent job drafting a QB), I think we'll be very competitive next year once we're healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

So how are we feeling about this weekend? Our draft position is not what it used to be but we don't look like we have many more wins left on the schedule. Beating a divisional opponent is always nice but in the unlikely event of it happening I can't help but worry that all we would be doing is assisting the Packers.

Anyway yesterday there was a rumour that Fangio was on the chopping block. The whole thing had a stink of bull**** about it seeing as how a) he is the only coaching bright spot we have and b) the reporter (for the Tribune no less) has already been caught out making up a story from either thin air or dodgy sources once this year. Anyway they came out and categorically denied it today. Which is nice.

Also noticed that NFL.com's most recent Top 25 rookie rankings include THREE Bears, more than any other team (and incidentally there's only one other rookie from the division). Not sure how much stock I put in such a ranking list, but by any measure, Pace knocked it out of the park with Floyd (most sacks of any rookie), Howard (on pace for 1000 yards despite not being the no.1 RB until several weeks into the season), and Whitehair (an absolute steal and the heart of a very solid O-line interior when everyone is healthy). If he has another draft like that (and especially does a half decent job drafting a QB), I think we'll be very competitive next year once we're healthy.

Agreed on the 3 rookies - they are a breath of fresh air and also shows how it is possible to really build through the draft... regarding high picks - hard to know, we need a QB but the best young QB at the moment was drafted in the 2nd round (Carr) so does a top 5 pick put too much pressure on the pick due to all the press coverage???

Well, it's the oldest rivalry in football this weekend, and still the best even if we haven't been living up to our side of the deal often the last few years. Playing spoiler against the Packers is basically our Super Bowl these days, anybody give us a shot of pulling it off? Obviously it's unlikely. Barkley seems competent enough as a backup but his limitations are clear enough as well. Admittedly he'll have Alshon back but two things about that: 1) A game-manager type of QB is less likely to throw to Alshon for various reasons and 2) Alshon hasn't been great this year by any means. That's the pessimistic stuff. Personally I have faith that Alshon will be gunning for it Sunday, and if the ball is going his way he'll do something with it. At the very least he will be drawing coverage away from the others, who might have learned to catch a ball in the last few weeks. What I really want is for Loggains to stop forgetting about Jordan Howard as the game goes on. I understand you can't run a lot if you're chasing a game, but sometimes I think he just tries to get cute. We have a guy who will cause the Packers palpitations. Use him!

The D has been getting better over time, although McPhee hasn't looked right at all and in general the LBs aren't up to scratch without Freeman around. Obviously our secondary is not good at all and with Rodgers playing like he did last week we could be in serious trouble. But it's not rocket science from our POV: get our DL into the game, and especially go hunting Rodgers, early and often. I have faith that we can give them a proper game and fight to the end. A win would be spectacular but I just don't want any opponent, especially THAT opponent, taking the Bears for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Agreed on the 3 rookies - they are a breath of fresh air and also shows how it is possible to really build through the draft... regarding high picks - hard to know, we need a QB but the best young QB at the moment was drafted in the 2nd round (Carr) so does a top 5 pick put too much pressure on the pick due to all the press coverage???

I think Winston, Cam, Luck all are proof that there is no such thing as too much pressure if you are good enough and avoid injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

I think Winston, Cam, Luck all are proof that there is no such thing as too much pressure if you are good enough and avoid injury.

True - I'm not arguing on those 3 but looking at other 1st round QB picks in recent years:

Bortles*
    Manziel
    Bridgewater*
    EJ Manuel
    RG3
    Tannehill*
    Weeden
    Locker
    Gabbert
    Ponder

A couple who are decent (*) but a good few busts there!!! The key point being good enough & avoiding injury.

True - I'm not arguing on those 3 but looking at other 1st round QB picks in recent years:

Bortles*
    Manziel
    Bridgewater*
    EJ Manuel
    RG3
    Tannehill*
    Weeden
    Locker
    Gabbert
    Ponder

A couple who are decent (*) but a good few busts there!!! The key point being good enough & avoiding injury.

But I don't think you can say the best young QB is from the second round as proof of anything. A lot of the Qb's you mentioned were first round picks out of necessity. Ponder, Locker, Weeden and Gabbert being examples. Manziel was a flyer and RG3 actually cant really be called a bust, he had one of the best rookie seasons ever before injury ruined him.

We're 4th pick now

That hurt so badly. We played well enough to win it but those goddamn interceptions. I genuinely think the better team lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,199 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

That hurt so badly. We played well enough to win it but those goddamn interceptions. I genuinely think the better team lost.

Don't know what game you were watching.

If you keep throwing long you will get some.

Bears played well for ONE QUARTER.

Packers dropped 3 cast iron TDs in the end zone.

Losing the run of yourself there, mate.

Might be losing the run of yourself a little there Brendan.

The Bears were absolutely the best team there yesterday. Some dropped passes in the end zoneare exactly that dropped passes. The interceptions killed the bears.

Played well though and have to be optimistic if your a Bears fan that next season will be better.

For the Packers it's a pity Rodgers is injured again, their season will fizzle out with a first round loss if they manage to make their way into the playoffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Christy42

Bortles*
    Manziel
    Bridgewater*
    EJ Manuel
    RG3
    Tannehill*
    Weeden
    Locker
    Gabbert
    Ponder

A good team working out draft order is more important than a high draft pick in the end. Then there is always some randomness in injury and how they grow up personality wise. Plus how they react to how different the college game is is important. I mean looking back at it who could really argue Brady deserved a round 1 pick on his college career.

There will always be some randomness. Especially as they will be playing against tougher defenses. It is how they react that is important. Peyton was a bust in his first year but had the mental strength and willpower to adjust.

Then you have the fact that qbs are so important they tend to go early even in a crappy draft class like last year. No way Goff and Went were the top two players in that draft but they were qbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,199 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Might be losing the run of yourself a little there Brendan.

The Bears were absolutely the best team there yesterday. Some dropped passes in the end zoneare exactly that dropped passes. The interceptions killed the bears.

Played well though and have to be optimistic if your a Bears fan that next season will be better.

For the Packers it's a pity Rodgers is injured again, their season will fizzle out with a first round loss if they manage to make their way into the playoffs.

Heh heh, little bit sour there, but well done, good performance they did play well.

Heh heh, little bit sour there, but well done, good performance they did play well.

I'm not sour i'm not a Bears fan, Redskins for my sins. Just thought the Bears were the better side yesterday.

I have no reply that wouldn't turn into a flame war so I'll just say nothing.

Looking good for the number 3 pick right now. So that's nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Looking good for the number 3 pick right now. So that's nice.

I don't watch college, any idea who they might pick?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭Guffy

I don't watch college, any idea who they might pick?

Depends if we go QB or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

gufc21 wrote:
    Depends if we go QB or not

Trubisky as a draftee
    Romo for nostalgia if they trade the #3 pick

Romo to the bears won't happen I think, doesn't make sense for them. I hope we can get Garrett or someone like that, use the pick to get a real star for the future of the team. I don't watch enough college to really know about these things tbh, but the fan consensus, which is worth very little, is that the bears wait till the second, or trade back into the end of the first, for a qb.

• Advertisement

Romo to the bears won't happen I think, doesn't make sense for them. I hope we can get Garrett or someone like that, use the pick to get a real star for the future of the team. I don't watch enough college to really know about these things tbh, but the fan consensus, which is worth very little, is that the bears wait till the second, or trade back into the end of the first, for a qb.

Advertisement