Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Bout Dem Bears?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Romo to the bears won't happen I think, doesn't make sense for them. I hope we can get Garrett or someone like that, use the pick to get a real star for the future of the team. I don't watch enough college to really know about these things tbh, but the fan consensus, which is worth very little, is that the bears wait till the second, or trade back into the end of the first, for a qb.

They could trade back a little for a QB but a lot if teams need one. Watson would be the most pro ready but throws a lot of interceptions in busted coverages so a year with a guy like romo would help. Kizer and trubisky are the other options but bogey need more time and work on their all behind games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Does Jeffrey stay or go??Jay is gone i presume

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Guffy

Jay is probably gone. What's the qb class like? I heard its not the greates but does it get any better in 18?

Alshon, if i were to guess at this stage, is gone. He'll want to much money and simply put, didnt earn it.

Romo is not going to be a bear next year. It will cost to much to get him and pay him. Then again he could lead us for 4/5 years IF he stayed fit.

So as we approach fa, who leads us to the superbowl Jeffrey has promised us next year? Ive heard chatter of Goropolo being a target. What do you give up for him if anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

gufc21 wrote: »
    So as we approach fa, who leads us to the superbowl Jeffrey has promised us next year? Ive heard chatter of Goropolo being a target. What do you give up for him if anything?

By the looks of things the Bears would have to give up their first round pick at least. It would make for a good story as JG grew up in Arlington Heights, a northern suburb of Chicago and played for Eastern Illinois. Ryan Pace also played there.

• Advertisement

By the looks of things the Bears would have to give up their first round pick at least. It would make for a good story as JG grew up in Arlington Heights, a northern suburb of Chicago and played for Eastern Illinois. Ryan Pace also played there.

It'll be Tony Romo, we've no problem taking a first for him in the Big D..
    more win now impact than Jimmy G
    Tony went to Eastern Illinois too didn't he..

I jest as I think Tony is going to Denver, Arizona or Houston as he wants to have that chance to win the superbowl

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I don't think either Romo or Jimmy G would cost the 3rd overall pick. A 2nd for Garopolo, not even that for Romo, maybe a 5th or 6th but you'd need to get Romo to re-do his deal.

I'd imagine Romo would want to go to a contender or a potential contender anyway so that would rule him out of Chicago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭Christy42

adrian522 wrote: »
    I don't think either Romo or Jimmy G would cost the 3rd overall pick. A 2nd for Garopolo, not even that for Romo, maybe a 5th or 6th but you'd need to get Romo to re-do his deal.

I'd imagine Romo would want to go to a contender or a potential contender anyway so that would rule him out of Chicago.

There would be no point in Chicago taking him anyway . He would just need to be replaced and not provide a superbowl or even a play off place in all likelihood.

Jim my G would not cost the 3rd overall pick but he could well command a 1st rounder. Trading back to later in the first round would be the play I would expect if the Bears make a move for him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

If Garopolo was truly a potential franchise QB there is no way the Patriots would be trading him. The Bears (or anyone else) would be silly to give up a first round pick for him to be honest.

In order to do what you suggest they would need to trade back out of number 3 well before the draft, which would be very difficult to do if they want to get any sort of value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

I would agree with that on G, I think a 2nd round might be even stretching it. But he's still only a stop gap. If I was Chicago I would trade down and pick up Deshaun Watson. Kid has guts and plenty of talent.

• Advertisement

If Garopolo was truly a potential franchise QB there is no way the Patriots would be trading him. The Bears (or anyone else) would be silly to give up a first round pick for him to be honest.

In order to do what you suggest they would need to trade back out of number 3 well before the draft, which would be very difficult to do if they want to get any sort of value.

There have been some crazy deals for high first round picks recently. Admittedly not 3rd but it is still very possible to get a good trade for the 3rd Round pick. The deal for Jimmy might not be entirely efficient but the price of the 3rd Round should make up for that.

Having said that while I believe Jimmy will go for a first if the Pats trade him I don't think he is worth the first. For the Bears I would be more interested in the rest of the team. Few good qbs going recently or in the next draft really. I would ensure I had the coaching and other players to bring in a new qb first before going after them.

Christy42 wrote: »
    There have been some crazy deals for high first round picks recently. Admittedly not 3rd but it is still very possible to get a good trade for the 3rd Round pick. The deal for Jimmy might not be entirely efficient but the price of the 3rd Round should make up for that.

Having said that while I believe Jimmy will go for a first if the Pats trade him I don't think he is worth the first. For the Bears I would be more interested in the rest of the team. Few good qbs going recently or in the next draft really. I would ensure I had the coaching and other players to bring in a new qb first before going after them.

I cant see why anyone would give up a first round pick for him.

Agree with you on the bears situation, it's almost in a complete rebuild phase so doesnt make much sense to go for a win now QB like Romo.

Just on Romo, I dont think it's definite he leaves the Cowboys. Given a healthy off season Romo could well start for the Cowboys next year.

Just on Romo, I dont think it's definite he leaves the Cowboys. Given a healthy off season Romo could well start for the Cowboys next year.

Absolutely no chance this happens
    If it were to call me to pass were ruining the progress of the OROY and Pro bowl selection. Only way Tony starts us as result of an injury

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Have you watched the Browns? :P
    They've wasted repeated first round picks. Might as well pick up someone that has at least shown talent when he's started (won @ Cards and was poised to put 50pts on the Fins before getting injured).

Clearly he's not shown enough to be a first round talent. But if you want to win, you need a QB. A move back to the mid-late first round and then trade with the Pats should be examined, cause I think the Browns (given the number of picks they have) would be crazy not to give it a shot with the 12th overall pick (when they could have had Carson Wentz last year).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

You hear that Pace is making a big play to acquire Garopollo. I do reckon it will take a first for whoever wants him but he's nowhere near worth it. The Pats system makes QBs look better than they are (Brady excepted). I remember Cassell guiding the Pats to a 11-5 record the year Brady was lost for the season. He turned out to be a very average QB and i fear Garopollo could be the same.

I'd be more in favour of adding a defensive stud. Really get that front seven being going well and then adding a QB with the early 2nd rounder (maybe even trade back into the first)

I remember Cassell guiding the Pats to a 11-5 record the year Brady was lost for the season. He turned out to be a very average QB and i fear Garopollo could be the same.
    He might turn out to be less than average. But all the training reports from guys who watch the team daily, were far more impressed with Garoppolo than Cassell. The thing is, I don't think anyone knows how good/bad he's going to be; but it's very likely one team is going to find out.

I don't think they should but I imagine they will. I mean look at how much was traded for Goff and Wentz. Jimmy has at least shown there exists an nfl offense he can run well (I get Wentz has done well but he obviously hadn't when the Eagles traded the house for that pick).

I don't think they should but I imagine they will. I mean look at how much was traded for Goff and Wentz. Jimmy has at least shown there exists an nfl offense he can run well (I get Wentz has done well but he obviously hadn't when the Eagles traded the house for that pick).

Wentz and Goff are franchise QB's both have the potential to bereally good for their respective clubs.

Does anyone really think Jimmy G is good? And if so why would Bill B and the Patriots be willing to offload him when they have a 40 year old QB?

You are probably right in that the Patriots will want a 1st round pick and maybe the bears will give it up for him.

I'm always suspicious when I hear I rumour like "Chicago are making a big push for Garopolo". Maybe I've been watching the 49ers FO too long but my first thought is always who put this information out there? Who would benefit from it being out there?

It's almost certainly not anyone in Chicago, more likely to come from the NE side or the players agent as it obviously puts pressure on other teams to make their own push and has the potential to drive up value. To me it doesn't make sense for Chicago at the moment unless they can get a trade done for Cutler this is almost certainly not happening.

Wentz and Goff are franchise QB's both have the potential to bereally good for their respective clubs.

Does anyone really think Jimmy G is good? And if so why would Bill B and the Patriots be willing to offload him when they have a 40 year old QB?

You are probably right in that the Patriots will want a 1st round pick and maybe the bears will give it up for him.

Jimmy is good. The careers of Wentz and Goff are still up in the air. Neither was considered an outstanding qb choice- merely the best of a bad qb class. Wentz has shown a bit more after the deal was done. Neither has shown themselves a franchise qb just yet though they have time. Potential is all well and good- it is about what you do that counts. Both still have massive issues with their play.

As for why Bill would sell him. Probably not unless Brissett has ripped it up in training but if he did I reckon he could convince someone to part with a 1st rounder. I don't think it would be a good deal but I think it would happen.

• Advertisement

Jimmy is good. The careers of Wentz and Goff are still up in the air. Neither was considered an outstanding qb choice- merely the best of a bad qb class. Wentz has shown a bit more after the deal was done. Neither has shown themselves a franchise qb just yet though they have time. Potential is all well and good- it is about what you do that counts. Both still have massive issues with their play.

As for why Bill would sell him. Probably not unless Brissett has ripped it up in training but if he did I reckon he could convince someone to part with a 1st rounder. I don't think it would be a good deal but I think it would happen.

If the Bears want to give up a first then I am sure the Patriots will snap their arm off.

Personally I think Wentz looks like a franchise QB. He was great early in the season until injuries hurt the Eagles. For me he looks much better than Jimmy but obviously the lack of game time it's tough to really judge Jimmy.

I guess we'll see.

Personally I think Wentz looks like a franchise QB. He was great early in the season until injuries hurt the Eagles. For me he looks much better than Jimmy but obviously the lack of game time it's tough to really judge Jimmy.
    I guess we'll see.
    It's def fair to say he's shown more than Jimmy.
    But when you look at some of the 1st round QB picks recently, Bortles/Goff/Lynch/Manziel/EJManuel, then in terms of taking a chance, teams could do worse that Jimmy.

It's def fair to say he's shown more than Jimmy.
    But when you look at some of the 1st round QB picks recently, Bortles/Goff/Lynch/Manziel/EJManuel, then in terms of taking a chance, teams could do worse that Jimmy.

To be fair Bortles/Goff and Lynch could all still be decent.

Manziel and Manuel definitely look like busts

To be fair Bortles/Goff and Lynch could all still be decent.

Manziel and Manuel definitely look like busts
    They could be decent; but the point is they cost 1st round picks, and I personally think Jimmy has at least the same chance as they do.

Manziel and Manuel are definite busts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

Bill will sell him as he's a FA next year and will sign elsewhere so its now or never for the Pats. They know there are some QB needy teams with a bad draft class coming up and a couple of good games under Jimmys belt. His stock is overvalued and the Pats would be silly not to sell

Bill will sell him as he's a FA next year and will sign elsewhere so its now or never for the Pats. They know there are some QB needy teams with a bad draft class coming up and a couple of good games under Jimmys belt. His stock is overvalued and the Pats would be silly not to sell

Had not realised he was up for FA in a year.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/839813184018137088

Mike Glennan? Thoughts? Have to say i have no opinion on this tbh as i have never watched him. He has been highly touted the past couple of years but the buccs still went and got winston.

I'll wait to see the guaranteed money. If the Bears draft a QB and have Glennon as a transition starter for 1-2 years then that sounds like a plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

That is what looks like happening alright. 45 million over three years (as you rightly point out we need to see the details) would probably put him as the lowest paid starter in the league who isn't a rookie. I'm assuming they will still draft somebody too. Not sure about Glennon, he was decent a few years ago and he has a 30:15 TD:INT ratio, I won't be getting overly excited but it at least looks like pace is following a plan.

Speaking of which he also looks to have played the Jeffrey situation really well. Having tested the market Jeffrey may now be willing to take a smaller deal than he was initially hoping for. Good news for whoever is our qb.

• Advertisement

On Glennon, Adam Schefter is reporting 3 years $45m with $19m guaranteed. So I'm guessing only a reasonable cap penalty if the Bears cut him after next season, fair enough!

I imagine the 4 game PED ban on Jeffery's record is scaring away teams from offering big guaranteed money. I think I'm right in saying a second PED ban would mean at least a 10 game ban?

Advertisement