Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Bout Dem Bears?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Cutler released according to twitter tonight. 51-51 record as starter, play offs once in 2010
    Jeffrey gone as well

• Registered Users Posts: 15,204 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Gonna miss Cutty but it was time. What could've been...
    Long on Instagram.

Glennon? I don't even know what to say or think. It has been a really underwhelming opening day of FA so far. Weren't we supposed to attack FA hard? This is just depressing. It could be a good few years before we are relevant again.

Howard is not impressed with Pace striking out on every major target.
    https://twitter.com/JHowardx24/status/839955915700834304

I didn't think anything would top the PSG/Barca stat I read last night about PSG only completing 4 passes (3 from kickoff) after the 85th minute of their game last night, but Adam Hoge has topped it with this.

https://twitter.com/AdamHoge/status/839949634873212928

• Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Yeah, man this has started to turn into a bit of a ****show.

I was OK with the Glennon signing insofar as I presume they are drafting a QB as well. But who are either of them going to throw to? Are the management still putting their faith in White? That's a major gamble at this point, I hope it works out.

I don't mind letting Jeffrey go if he was picking up crazy money elsewhere. Just yesterday it looked like Pace had pulled a masterstroke, and I'm not totally sold on Jeffrey but we are completely bereft of high end talent, and whatever talent we've had Pace has let it go year on year. Keeping him round for 14 million should have been possible, unless he really just wanted out of Chicago, which could well be the case (and opens up all sorts of other questions I'd rather not contemplate right now).

I thought with all our cap space we'd have made some big splashes but nothing has worked out so far. Is this the whole NFLPA workers' comp controversy coming home to roost for us? If it is, and free agents just don't want to come here, then I hope the McCaskeys are happy with their decision to pursue and support this policy. In a way, maybe it'll be good for them to see that their money-grubbing has consequences (while we're at it, they hiked their season ticket prices this year! After going 3-13!! The Browns cut their prices by about 20%). But it sure leaves us in a sh1tty position.

I have faith in Pace as a drafter, and we're always being told the best teams build through the draft and not free agency, but that last tweet from Hoge is very telling. I think if Pace is able to stay in charge long enough his drafting will be vindicated, but if he can't work free agency he won't be around to see it. Now, if it turns out his hands are tied in free agency, then it is time to start questioning whether it is worth supporting the team at all, if the owners themselves are hindering the possibilities for winning in the name of their own wallets.

All of that might be a bit alarmist, we'll see over the next couple of days, but Howard's tweet, on the face of it, seems pretty on the money to me. At best Pace has made a balls of it. At worst, the McCaskeys have made a balls of it. Again.

I had meant to say also: I'll miss Jay a lot. He was one of the most polarizing figures in the NFL, and I never understood the kind of raw hatred some people had for a guy just because the media decided he was a bad guy (in 2012 he was by far the most hated player in American sport, which given the kind of scumbags and criminals and cheaters and wife-beaters and murderers he shared a league with at the time, is pretty disgusting). I was never bored watching Cutty, anything could happen, and he could break your heart or make your day depending on what side of the bed he had gotten out of.

I knew he had to go, it was the best thing for both him and the team, but he was the best QB the Bears ever had, he cared about his team-mates and never threw anyone under the bus when there were plenty of opportunities. He shipped the criticism, including the accusation after the NFCCG in 2012 that he wasn't tough (a ridiculous claim, he's one of the toughest QBs in the league in my opinion). He needs to take the blame for the overall mediocrity of his tenure, but so do a lot of other people, including everyone on the carousel of offensive coordinators he had (except Gase, god I wish we had made him HC instead of Fox). He was never used the way he was meant to be, as an out of the pocket gambler. I'll miss his press conferences too, the lack of interest in the media bull**** was so refreshing, much as it may have cost him.

There's a lot not to like in Cutler's time in Chicago, but there'll never be a smokin' Mike Glennon meme, I know that. I hope he lights it up somewhere else this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Yeah as a Vikings fan, I was always apprehensive of Cutler. He has the X-factor. I get why Chicago have released him, mind you.

D9Male wrote: »
    Yeah as a Vikings fan, I was always apprehensive of Cutler. He has the X-factor. I get why Chicago have released him, mind you.
    One about cutler was that regardless of his overall play, he seemed to always play well against Minnesota for some reason. Don't know his record against ye but I'm betting it was way better than his general record (51-51 overall)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Yeah, 8-5, but given we have a pretty shabby record this decade, he is not the only QB to have a nice record against the Vikings.

Jesus..

http://www.ebony.com/life/lance-briggs-battling-cte#axzz4bK0zMy8A

Best of luck to Briggs. He acted like a w*nker under Trestman but he was an amazing LB and leader for us for years before that.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Jesus..

http://www.ebony.com/life/lance-briggs-battling-cte#axzz4bK0zMy8A

Best of luck to Briggs. He acted like a w*nker under Trestman but he was an amazing LB and leader for us for years before that.
    Jesus that's awful. One of those moments where you wonder is watching football really an innocent pastime at all.

I think anyone who was seen as acting the prick under trestman, such as urlacher etc, were all ultimately vindicated when we saw what an absolute clown show he was actually running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Falcons first up, Ravens, Steelers, Panthers, 49er's, Saints, Bengals, Browns, Eagles, Bucs. Not terribly hard but still tough.

Jesus, what do we make of that?

I was against picking a quarterback, but if pace likes him, he sold try and get him i guess. But when we are so short of guys, it's a remarkable price to give up. We don't know what was going on in the draft rooms of the teams, but in the face of it, the niners have absolutely fleeced us here.

Pace has made sure that his career will hinge on trubisky. If he fails, pace will be working as a high school scout.

Jesus, what do we make of that?

I was against picking a quarterback, but if pace likes him, he sold try and get him i guess. But when we are so short of guys, it's a remarkable price to give up. We don't know what was going on in the draft rooms of the teams, but in the face of it, the niners have absolutely fleeced us here.

Pace has made sure that his career will hinge on trubisky. If he fails, pace will be working as a high school scout.

Yeah Pace has definitely put his future on the line now. Gave up a lot but it's not like we are a few players away from the playoffs or anything. If Pace thinks he's the guy he has to get him as it's the most important position. We have a few picks left along with another draft & FA next year to fill more needs. If Trubisky out to be a top 5/10 QB it's a great deal. We'll see.

I've never been on the Pace bandwagon but I hope it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I was very surprised when I see the notifications on my phone this morning! I'm sure it was exciting to watch it all live.

When the Bears signed Glennon to a 'prove yourself' one year deal I thought the signal was that Pace and Co. didn't rate any QB in the draft high to spend a high price on. I got that one wrong! The 49ers will be very happy, they are far from contending and now will get more cheap players for their roster. Apparently they wanted Solomon Thomas anyway and now have a few picks thrown in for free.

I'd like to think the Bears' biggest issue last season was the number of injuries, IIRC they had the highest number of players on IR. Hopefully they aren't that far away from contending despite the tough division. Considering what gems can be picked up in the later rounds (Jordan Howard last year in round 5) losing the mid-round picks is a bit of a sting. It certainly adds some excitement though to the new season!

Per SB Nation, here some of the best players remaining:

Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State
    Forrest Lamp, OT/OG, Western Kentucky
    Malik McDowell, DL, Michigan State
    Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama
    Zach Cunningham, LB, Vanderbilt
    DeShone Kizer, QB, Notre Dame
    Sidney Jones, CB, Washington (torn Achilles)
    Carl Lawson, DE, Auburn
    Budda Baker, S, Washington
    Teez Tabor, CB, Florida
    Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama

The Bears don't need a QB or RB, so who is a potential candidate otherwise for the 36th pick?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

hey all, looking to pick up Bears Steelers tickets in Soldier Field in September. Only ever picked up pre season tickets before. Is stubhub the best place to buy? Tickets there currently for $150...

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Guffy

Did you try seat geek? Cbs fantasy football podcast has a code that'll give you 20% off your first purchase too.

Anyone else watching this? Mike Glennon really emphasising continuity from the Cutler era by flinging an int in his first drive (for a TD). Then the defense came in and penaltied their way to field goal range. Tarik Cohen has looked like tremendous fun to watch, and Leonard Floyd got a great hit in on his first chance.

I know it's just preseason but the general air of continuity from last season is a bit of a worry. If that turns out to be indicative, John Fox won't be long getting his marching orders.

Also, again very very very early days and only a few plays and not against starters etc etc but trubisky looked fun to watch on that drive, operated under center as well as shotgun, seemed to be targeting Shaheen a lot too.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's against 2nd/3rd stringers but Trubes has looked great. Nice drive there to take the lead.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Yeah it's against 2nd/3rd stringers but Trubes has looked great. Nice drive there to take the lead.
    Two touchdown drives with a 100% pass completion rate is hard to argue with for a lad on an NFL field for the first time. Could see the fan base clamouring for him to come in very, very quickly come the beginning of the season if things are going any way badly for Glennon.

Tribusky looked very good indeed. If he looks ready by Week 1 and Glennon is struggling is there much point to sitting him for the year?

Tribusky looked very good indeed. If he looks ready by Week 1 and Glennon is struggling is there much point to sitting him for the year?
    No, there's too many jobs on the line to sit watching Glennon if trubs is up to the task

The Bears are 12-7 up at the Titans in the 4th but Cameron Meredith has torn his ACL. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39,650 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The Bears are 12-7 up at the Titans in the 4th but Cameron Meredith has torn his ACL. :(

Non contact ?

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Non contact ?
    There was contact, it was gruesome looking

It really is a disaster because we are so thin at wr already and I've pretty much lost my faith in Kevin white at this stage, certainly as a number one guy.

But trubisky is looking better and better. Not sure where I stand on whether to start him at the beginning of the season, Glennon looked pretty good early on too, it'd be nice to be in a position to keep him off the field for a while if possible, but whatever happens he is looking very exciting, the future could be really bright if he develops as he is promising to.

Defense and running game are both looking pretty good now as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,650 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

There was contact, it was gruesome looking

I've just seen it. The human leg is not meant to bend that way. Jesus the poor guy. If he's only torn his ACL after that, then he'll be haunted.

Edit: that could be a teddy bridgewater type situation.

Advertisement