Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Bout Dem Bears?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Horrible injury especially in a pre season game.

Glennon looked pretty well

• Registered Users Posts: 15,226 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Not much chat about the current Bears team but still an enjoyable listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Well that was a horrible loss because I really thought we would get that last td. The pain of that is making it harder to focus on the many positives to take from the game, but with the exception of the dire receiver situation, there really is so much to be happy with. Front seven on D were phenomenal, especially Hicks. Fuller coming back in looked pretty good, thought he was done for last year. Want to see Floyd getting some sacks. The busted coverages on Hooper were worrying and there were a LOT of missed tackles. But more positive than negative by far.

On offense obviously Cohen was phenomenal, and I thought in general Glennon was pretty good. Biggest problem for me (apart from the receivers who are probably the worst set of wr's in the league) was the o line, whitehair looked rusty as fcuk, and massie was destroyed by Beasley. God I wish we had drafted him.

Anyway receivers not withstanding, we didn't look like a team that can be taken for granted or overlooked. And with Mitch trubisky waiting in the wings, it kind of feels like a little bit of sunshine is finally starting to peak through the clouds after the years of sh1tty weather in bearsland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I thought ye looked good. Some dodgy hands by receivers (and Howard) but the defensive play looked good, and the RB and QB situation is relatively rosy.

D9Male wrote: »
    I thought ye looked good. Some dodgy hands by receivers (and Howard) but the defensive play looked good, and the RB and QB situation is relatively rosy.

Howard was woeful as a receiver last year as well, I think it's fair to say it's just not his forte (excuse the pun). Cohen was used as a receiver a few times yesterday as well but ultimately that all seems like just trying to find ways around the elephant in the room, that our actual receivers are cat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bannerman2005

Its going to be a long season with that group of receivers. No matter how good the running game is. Great to see the defence improved. Buccs up next so hopefully they can build on this performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Is there any half-decent free agent WRs left?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Dorial Green Beckham? Percy Harvin? I am sure there are more, but not very many even half half-decent.

will they even look at free agents or just continue to manage with what they have. The bears are not really in win now mode but without decent receivers there is a large talent hole that could drain draft resources.

I agree we aren't really in win-now mode but there's no reason any more to accept mediocrity. The management and coaches have been here for long enough that they have to take ownership of the team and its fortunes. There's only a handful of players on the roster that were NOT put there by Ryan Pace. What I saw on Sunday was a team with plenty of flaws and a really crappy QB who still did enough that we should have beaten the NFC champions.

We tend not to win close games, so the close defeat isn't particularly reassuring. But it tells us that we really aren't far from where we should be either. Especially since the QB of the future is currently warming his ar$e on the bench. I think if we're going to bring him in to start (and Glennon will have a bad day sooner rather than later, forcing Fox's hand) it will be a disaster if the receivers aren't there to throw to. I would hope they're looking at free agency anyway, but one thing about White being out is that it might give someone else a chance to surprise us the way Meredith did last year. White was doing absolutely nothing when he was on the field so there is a silver lining to his going off. This team has found plenty of diamonds in the rough (Howard, Meredith, Cohen, to name three).

I'm sick of not being in win-now mode. John Fox is coasting along, knowing he is never getting another HC job, and I don't think he's all that bothered how we get along. But personally I'm sick of reading posters who are fans of other teams either laughing at the Bears or writing them off on the weeks we play their team. Sunday showed we aren't a team that should be taken for granted, as did going down by just three points to the Pack last year with a QB who should have been driving the team bus. But until we start actually showing the balls to win the close games, there's no reason for anyone to NOT take us for granted. I think the D summed that up on Sunday: loads of great play, fantastic stuff from Hicks, we look like a potentially very strong defensive unit, then two bonehead plays leaving Hooper open for a TD and a massive gain soon after, and we are chasing the game again and feeling sorry for ourselves and coming up with the excuses.

There needs to be signs of progress this year, no more "next year we'll show progress". Anything less than 8 wins is, I think, a failure, and time to fire Fox. His seat should be the hottest in the NFL right now, but for some reason it doesn't seem that way. He comes across as very comfortable and not especially bothered. That annoys the crap out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

But personally I'm sick of reading posters who are fans of other teams either laughing at the Bears or writing them off on the weeks we play their team. .

Lol. :D I fully expect the 49ers to go 1-15 with the one at your expense!

adrian522 wrote: »
    But personally I'm sick of reading posters who are fans of other teams either laughing at the Bears or writing them off on the weeks we play their team. .

Lol. :D I fully expect the 49ers to go 1-15 with the one at your expense!
    You see this is exactly what I'm talking about.

It's a funny thing, expectations. Often when I visit people abroad I expect to be picked up at the airport, but, much like football, my expectations are often not met.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

WR Tanner Gentry on active roster.

Jerrell Freeman to IR (chest injury and concussion). :(

Jerrell Freeman to IR (chest injury and concussion). :(

Christ, it's happening again isn't it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You see this is exactly what I'm talking about.

It's a funny thing, expectations. Often when I visit people abroad I expect to be picked up at the airport, but, much like football, my expectations are often not met.

Ouch, I better start googling taxi companys then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Ravens only have two healthy backs on the roster, well Kenneth Dixon is serving a 4 game suspension

Jeremy Langford has been promoted from the practice squad. I remember he was starter in Chicago this time last year

The Bears seem to have a eye for getting good backs lately, is he any good :)

He probably will get cut Week 5 when Dixon returns but I'm interested to find out more as the Ravens have gone run heavy week 1 and I hope it continues

I thought Langford would push on after forte left and really stamp his identity on the team, but last year he just didn't impress at all. He wasn't helped by Jordan Howard being amazing and then tarik Cohen being just as amazing so far. That said I think he was behind kadeem Carey on the depth chart too, so it'll be interesting if he can find his form again elsewhere. We are raining running backs at the moment.

Dunno about anyone else, but I'm feeling really optimistic today. I think we're going to upset the buccs this weekend.

Next two games are vs Steelers and @ Packers. It's not promising.

• Advertisement

Yeah you can disregard my last comment above. We looked to be precisely where we were last year. Hard to see where we go from here, last week was promising but it took so little to figure us out and we had no response when they did. All the mistakes, all the penalties, all the offensive predictability, all the injuries, all the lack of inspiration. It's all still there fully intact. Fox needs to be gone, there's no more excuses left.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

a stuttering Steelers offense on the road early on against a team starting slowly, it's ripe for a Bears win.

Pittsburgh are 1-11 in Chicago and 0-2 under Tomlin.

dfx- wrote: »
    a stuttering Steelers offense on the road early on against a team starting slowly, it's ripe for a Bears win.

Starting slowly would be grand if it looked like we were speeding up in some way. The wheels fell off the wagon this afternoon.

Steelers will win in first gear.

A bit disappointing to see how the team has gone. You would think that Fox is destined for the chop. Sticking with Glennon now is difficult. However putting in Trubisky behind a bashed up oline is probably the only thing to be done. It means that the they can look at the future in the qb position. Shame that the wr's that are available are not great. Hard to find much positives from the game.

From what I've been reading, the all 22 footage shows repeatedly that the receivers have been getting free, in both games, but Glennon simply isn't throwing to them. He locks on to his first read, waits for them to get free, and if it doesn't happen he checks down. And he throws to the check down whether they're free or not.

That isn't to say they are good receivers, but we'll never really know while Glennon is throwing to them. They did have all the drops at the end of the Falcons game, true, but besides that he had spent himself to be a bad quarterback in ways that can't really be fixed and which don't help to even open up the running game.

That said it's already a lost season, and as you say a banged up o line, and Fox will be gone next year anyway so there is something to be said for keeping trubs out and learning. So I'm not sure how to feel...but if I'm to spend 3 hours on a Sunday watching, I know which player I want to be looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

The Bears won!! How.

dfx- wrote: »

Starting slowly would be grand if it looked like we were speeding up in some way. The wheels fell off the wagon this afternoon.

Steelers will win in first gear.
    I'm always wrong about the bears, I have a desperate record of predicting us, and I definitely didn't predict that. Heart attack stuff but they did it when it counted (except cooper, Jesus Christ!), our running game is amazing but I'm still perfectly confident that Glennon should be benched. Also, we seem to run on pretty much every first down in every game, it's ridiculously predictable.

Anyway I feel a lot better about Thursday now, they can't come into it assuming the win. Would make our season if we could get that win. Nice to go in with some reasonable expectations and hope.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

So predictable :mad:

A carbon copy of the Miami game for the Steelers last year...same time of the season they were crushed by the Eagles as well. Deserved what they got from this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,226 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Deonte Thompson lead our receivers today with 1 catch for 9 yards.
    He was also the only receiver to catch a pass.

101 total yards receiving. Our 3 RBs had 73 of those 101 yards. Mike Glennon - Dump off king.

It's a shame the only thing people will remember Marcus Cooper for is the idiotic fumble when he had a great game.

qPoE4ij3TB_dHSNxAkKfkg.png

• Advertisement

Not sure whether to be excited or scared, but looks like the future begins next Monday for this team. Not surprised because you couldn't keep looking at Glennon for another week, but I just hope Trubisky is ready, because we are not a fanbase that's renowned for its patience.

Advertisement