Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pope UK visit mega discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Nodin wrote: »
    ...which presumes that secularism = moral relativism.

He thinks he can get away with saying it, as long as he doesn't actually say it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Nodin wrote: »
    ...which presumes that secularism = moral relativism.

Its a key concept in the philosophy of a moral athiest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Well, he is mistaken my friend!

Any more unsubstantiated nonsense you'd like to throw into the thread? Maybe Volcanos are due to Godlessness?

Care to substantiate that yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

is anyone else annoyed that the pope has a popemobile but he doesnt do any detective work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Didn't Benedict, Der PanzerKardinal, try to get some Spanish Fascist beatifed?
    The guy's mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

It's a fact though, is it not, thah he was a member of Nazi Youth?

It's also a fact that this was compulsory, his name was automatically added to the membership list on his 14th birthday, in that he had no choice in the matter.

Ratzinger was actually seconded as a teenager to an anti-aircraft battery unit. He deserted this unit and made his way on foot to his home which was behind American lines and turned himself over to them. The Ratzinger family were known to be anti-Nazi, and members of his own family ended up in Nazi death camps.

If you knew anthing about resistance to the Nazis you'd know about the likes of the White Rose organisation made up of students and young people...... the fellas were members of the Hitler Youth :eek: HJ membership is a worthless accusaton against people who were kids at the time.

As for the OP, the Pope did not compare atheists to the Nazis. Typical AH intentional word twisting. Getting farcical at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest".

Care to substantiate that yourself?

I'm not the one backing up my claims here Sir.

(Nor am i afraid to call the opinions i am expressing my own as you seem to be)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Pope palpatine should be arrested.

• Advertisement

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest".

Typical blood-thirsty Athiest! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

prinz wrote: »

As for the OP, the Pope did not compare atheists to the Nazis. Typical AH intentional word twisting. Getting farcical at this stage.

Well I don't know how far he would have had to go - perhaps a powerpoint presentation with ATHEISTS = NAZIS
    Here is the actual transcript - the comparison is fairly clear
    Even in our own lifetime, we can recall how Britain and her leaders stood against a Nazi tyranny that wished to eradicate God from society and denied our common humanity to many, especially the Jews, who were thought unfit to live. I also recall the regime’s attitude to Christian pastors and religious who spoke the truth in love, opposed the Nazis and paid for that opposition with their lives. As we reflect on the sobering lessons of the atheist extremism of the twentieth century, let us never forget how the exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated vision of man and of society and thus to a “reductive vision of the person and his destiny”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Its a key concept in the philosophy of a moral athiest.

I'd suggest getting back to me later, after reading this....
    http://mwillett.org/atheism/moralsource.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Pope palpatine should be arrested.
    :pac:

Every time I see him troop down past a line of guards or soldiers, I hear in my head Star Wars - The Imperial March.

Am I the only one or am I going nuts! :pac:

optogirl wrote: »
    ..... atheist extremism ....

Are all atheists extremists now?

Starbelgrade didn't say it, BBC News did!

..and there's plenty of people lapping it up without an ounce of thought.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

So did the Times, The Mail and many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Biggins wrote: »
    :pac:

Every time I see him troop down past a line of guards or soldiers, I hear in my head Star Wars - The Imperial March.

Am I the only one or am I going nuts! :pac:

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    So did the Times, The Mail and many more.

The Mail? Damn!

There goes our argument :P

..and there's plenty of people lapping it up without an ounce of thought.

Ok, so why don't you enlighten us as to what Herr Ratzinger actually meant?

Ok, so why don't you enlighten us as to what Herr Ratzinger actually meant?

What he meant is pretty clear when you read it actually. For some reason the word extremist got dropped between what Herr Ratzinger said and the thread title. What he said is a warning not to repeat the mistake of the past, not a sleight on Joe Bloggs atheist down the road.

There have been countless people issuing warnings about religious extremists recently. That's acceptable. No skin off mine. Warn about atheist extremism, suddenly it's a personal attack. See the double standards?

What he meant is pretty clear when you read it actually. For some reason the word extremist got dropped between what Herr Ratzinger said and the thread title.

I never said Extremeist!

You seem to have your finger on the pulse, why don't you tell me your spin on what he said? Come on! You seem to be able to tell us what he DIDN'T say!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭MingulayJohnny

With all due respect to the seriousness of the harm that organised religion has inflicted on the world and esp children you have to appreciate the absurdity of it all sometimes. It's ugly , sinister , clandestine , oppressive and yet a great source of absurd humour.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/international/pope-congratulated-on-size-of-his-balls-201009173095/

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts-%26-entertainment/pope-promises-live-witch%11burning-201009143086/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

What he meant is pretty clear when you read it actually. For some reason the word extremist got dropped between what Herr Ratzinger said and the thread title. What he said is a warning not to repeat the mistake of the past, not a sleight on Joe Bloggs atheist down the road.

There have been countless people issuing warnings about religious extremists recently. That's acceptable. No skin off mine. Warn about atheist extremism, suddenly it's a personal attack. See the double standards?

Yes - it seems he is comparing atheism & secularism to Nazism.

The recent bout of calling people with strong faith in religion 'religious extremists' is no less vulgar and presumptious. The idea of terrorists being called 'Islamic Terrorists' associates all Muslims with the term - it would be like calling the IRA 'Catholic Terrorists'. You say, 'that's acceptable, no skin off mine'. Whose mouth are you putting these words in? Not mine or any other atheist I know. There is no double standard - as an atheist I have the right to be outraged by this old cretin making an outright sttement comparing secularism and Nazism.

Hold on........... if Herr Ratzinger isn't a Nazi, how do you explain this picture of them on public transport together?

http://i54.tinypic.com/17cmee.jpg

optogirl wrote: »
    Yes - it seems he is comparing EXTREMIST atheism & secularism to Nazism. Also where is the idea that Nazis were trying to eradicate god from society coming from? Just because they were a secular outfit does not mean they were trying to rid society of religion.

FYP by the way.

Perhaps you should study some history then, notably Nazi opinion towards anything uncontrolled by the State. 'Religion' was fine as long as it didn't conflict with Nazi ideals and towed the party line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

'Religion' was fine as long as it didn't conflict with Nazi ideals and towed the party line.

Which the RCC were more than happy to do.

Advertisement