Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter FI Charts

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

It's FI Fun Time. :pac:
    woohoopacman.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

gens01150.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

It's FI Fun Time.

Here we go agaaaiiiiin!!!!!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

So Close!

gfs0174.png

WTF??

ecm1216p.gif

OMG Savage!!!

gem0192.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

WTF??

ecm1216p.gif

OMG Savage!!!

Now that's what I call an easterly!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So according to Jean Byrne on the late forecast there will be an interesting battle going on over Ireland in five days time between high pressure to the east and low pressure out in the Atlantic! Which will result in it being a tad windy from a southerly direction over Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Can you imagine if this was heading for us? :P

xmjqrk.png

And now for something completely different :

fk75n9.png

Ensembles in FI, always entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Can you imagine if this was heading for us? :P

xmjqrk.png

Yes, I really can:D

ECM tonight keeps the theme of an easterly developing in FI:

168hrs chart:
    129714.png

Could bring some very nice and pleasant weather but I have to say I am very annoyed that this sort of pattern never developed during the summer just gone. Would have brought some proper summer weather with a few proper storms thrown in. :mad:

168hrs chart:
    129714.png

Could bring some very nice and pleasant weather but I have to say I am very annoyed that this sort of pattern never developed during the summer just gone. Would have brought some proper summer weather with a few proper storms thrown in. :mad:

let's just hope this is a sign of things to come in a month or two.
    redsunset wrote: »
    While not being his winter forecast.

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/bastardi-europe-blog.asp
    Joe b has this to say,

its fascinating to see what using the analog gives us for the winter and then applying the computer forecast gives us. Put it this way... for large parts of Europe, another year where the Global warming crowd is going to take a beating from the APPEARANCE of the weather is on the way!

The three years that stick out like a sore thumb are 1950-1951,1955-1956 and 1995-1996 for europe.

The main idea I have out for the winter is that there will be large scale chill again.

I believe that this is a colder than normal winter for a large part of europe, but I am torn as to where right now. I am going to research it and come up with the answer.

I just hope what you said earlier doesn't come to pass- that the nao is negative, but Britian is the buffer zone between the cold in Europe and the milder Atlantic air.

• Advertisement

all this talk of another sustained cold winter period begs the question...are our roads authorities prepared in terms of grit and salt supplies? I would imagine not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    all this talk of another sustained cold winter period begs the question...are our roads authorities prepared in terms of grit and salt supplies? I would imagine not.

I sent a email to fingal county council ( trying to be all professional) talking to them about the high probability that another cold winter is just around the corner ( i added in some not so factual meteorological research results ) and was asking about the salt stocks compared to this time last year, and would we hav enought to suffice a another harsh cold spell.

I got an email back that my question was forwarded to the transportation department the other day, so ye im hoping theyll send me one back too, but ye... i hav a feeling they aint so prepared.

168hrs chart:
    129714.png

Hey DE , just wondering , whats the sites that u get these maps from?

I wanna start studying them better and try to understand them more.

Way out in FI but GFS has 850 temps of -4 just about reaching us.

27xgdgn.png

Iancar29 wrote: »

Hey DE , just wondering , whats the sites that u get these maps from?

I wanna start studying them better and try to understand them more.

here Ian.
    http://www.meteociel.com/modeles/gefs_cartes.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Cheers lads. :pac:

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Cheers lads. :pac:

Hey Ian,

Redsunset and Wolfire are spot on with the links there!

The Icelandic site is probably the best I think. Although the charts only go out to about 5 days, or 144hrs, but if you tweek the image url,

101004_0000_144.png

you can go beyond.

For example, the image url of the chart above is

http://en.vedur.is/photos/atlant_evr_hitaspa/101004_0000_144.png

the forecast time is highlighted in bold, so you can change it up to 232hrs, in increments of 12hrs. Example:

http://en.vedur.is/photos/atlant_evr_hitaspa/101004_0000_168.png
    http://en.vedur.is/photos/atlant_evr_hitaspa/101004_0000_180.png
    http://en.vedur.is/photos/atlant_evr_hitaspa/101004_0000_192.png
    http://en.vedur.is/photos/atlant_evr_hitaspa/101004_0000_204.png

Now you can get into FI territory!!!
    101004_0000_232.png

Beautiful chart:

129881.gif

Could we be looking at our first 'deep easterly' of the year??? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

Beautiful chart:

129881.gif

Could we be looking at our first 'deep easterly' of the year??? :p

so for somebody still learning,
    what does that chart mean in the type of weather we would get

• Advertisement

it means the west of ireland could have temperature in the high teens with a nice pleaseant south easterly/easterly breeze. if we get this kind of weather in two months, then you and people in the east of Ireland could well be seeing the white stuff.

Nacho summed it up their nicely Isle of man. Essentially, a chart like that is would bring great weather with low humidities and some very nice sunsets/sunrises and a deeper colour to the sky in general too due to a dry haze. It is the weather of poets! :D

some dry and settled weather on the way from saturday onwards. Will gradually get cooler as we head towards the middle of the month when temps will only hit single figures during the daytime. Threat of nighttime frosts also increases towards the middle of the month as E to ESE winds dig in for the next two weeks.

Hopefully this trend of easterlies continues into the winter period.

12zGFS FI is showing sleet for Ulster on the 21st. :pac::D:pac:

I know, I know...deep in FI, but thats what this thread is for.

2zdvio2.png

First time Ive seen that since last winter.

FI land again. Snow on high ground possible in the north 11 days from now if this chart came off :

h850t850eu.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Not very fantasy at all. Boardies, Farmers, Radios, Weathers, TVs and Bridie in the bank are all saying it will be very cold mid month onwards. Wont be surprised to see sleet. or hail at least!

MONDAY WEEK FORECAST (10 days time)
    Nice spell of settled weather on the way, getting progressively colder. Deep Easterly is getting stuck in early on this year.

ECM0-240.GIF?08-12

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    MONDAY WEEK FORECAST (10 days time)
    Nice spell of settled weather on the way, getting progressively colder. Deep Easterly is getting stuck in early on this year.

ECM0-240.GIF?08-12

Encouraging. By the way am i wrong in thinking the ECM model still tends to be the most accurate model of the lot?

Encouraging. By the way am i wrong in thinking the ECM model still tends to be the most accurate model of the lot?
    yep Nacho. GSF can be a little more exciteable than ECM. Having said that very few models get it spot on this far out. Unless of course you call the donegal postman a model.

• Advertisement

IM gonna save this image and every 3 days look bac at this one see how much the models hav changed :)

gens-0-1-384.png?12

Advertisement