Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession, Me Arse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

I read that as syphillis lol

Ha, that too then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I cannot understand the OP's attitude.

Last Monday morning I was in a meeting at a hotel about 200 yards from my business with a rep from one of our UK suppliers when I received a call that Fed Ex had arrived with a large pallet for delivery. It was raining heavily so it was imperative that we got the boxes off the pallet and into the stockroom as soon as possible. I explained to the rep what the problem was and that I'd have to leave immediately but I'd be back when I was finished with moving the delivery out of the rain. To my surprise, the rep volunteered to help and when we got back to my place the delivery driver even helped us to move the stuff inside - something that he was not obliged to do. He even took away the empty pallet when we were done,

If you treat others with respect and as your equal, people tend to go the extra mile for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

No - that's my job. I know how to do it & don't expect someone else to hold my hand while I'm doing it.

That was my point.

You wouldn't go to a restaurant & have the chef cook you a dinner, but tell you that you have to plate it up youself.

Next time you order a Pizza, try to get the fella to bring it all the way to the couch and see how far you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

syklops wrote: »
    Next time you order a Pizza, try to get the fella to bring it all the way to the couch and see how far you get.

No, just tell him to leave it at the gate in the rain and you'll collect it later.
    Leave a tip at the gate for him too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

The delivery guy was right imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Mister men wrote: »
    The delivery guy was right imo.

Really now, just think about it for a second. He is a paper delivery guy. Leaving it out in the rain is the right thing to do?

OP, what was the first contact with this guy? Did he ring the bell, go back to the van and start unloading? Did he start unloading and not let you know? Did you spot him out the window? It's not clear. OP shouldn't have asked him to put them in the store, but the delivery guy shouldn't have to be asked to bring them in out of the rain. It's a ridiculous thing to do.

Really now, just think about it for a second. He is a paper delivery guy. Leaving it out in the rain is the right thing to do?

OP, what was the first contact with this guy? Did he ring the bell, go back to the van and start unloading? Did he start unloading and not let you know? Did you spot him out the window? It's not clear. OP shouldn't have asked him to put them in the store, but the delivery guy shouldn't have to be asked to bring them in out of the rain. It's a ridiculous thing to do.
    Yes really.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

Take the ****ing boxes in yourself, 20feet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Sometimes it's hard to believe there's a recession happening when so many places still give really bad customer service. I've had a few occurances over the last while, but today's took the biscuit...

I ordered some paper last week from a company in Dublin - 50 rolls of A1 size sheets for a printer. The delivery guy arrived today & started to unload the boxes, leaving them propped up against the wall just inside the gates leading to my office / studio.

After a few minutes, I went out to him and told him that they needed to be brought into the storeroom at the back of the office. He said that he only delivered to the "point of entry" & I would have to bring them there myself.

The storeroom is about 20 foot away from the gate.

I told him again that I wanted them put in the storeroom, that I didn't have time for this malarky & that I'd paid his company to deliver the paper to my office & not drop them against a wall beside the gate.

He looked at me with a big, thick head on him & said, "well, de ye bleedin' want 'em or naat - coz I can leave 'em here or take 'em back?"

I told him to take them back.

So he did. And drove all the way back to Dublin with them. A 400km round trip drive for nothing.

You would expect people to try & go the extra mile these days, but this prick wouldn't even go the extra 20 foot.

Recession, me arse.

I'm not being snotty or anything buttt....

1. If you really wanted the paper, you would've moved it. After all its ONLY a 20 foot walk.

2. Most things delivered are to the point of entry. Its an insurance thing.

3. He made the journey. He genuinely did his job.
    You would expect people to try & go the extra mile these days
    . 50 rolls of A1 paper. Jesus would tell you to **** yourself if you asked him to do it. You'd have to toss him an extra few bob to even move 1 roll.

Morale: Next time give the delivery guy a €20 or hire some oompa loompas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Yes really.

Well, that told me.

• Advertisement

Take the ****ing boxes in yourself, 20feet?
    Unbelievable is'nt it. You'd swear it was across a field and over a ditch ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

I had delivery of a crate of stock at work one day. I was the only one there so the delivery man came in & asked me to sign for it saying that the crate was outside for me to carry in.
    He was around 6ft tall, muscular enough & didn't appear to be missing any limbs.
    I on the other hand, am 5ft something, don't lift things for a living & was on crutches which he saw.

When I asked him was he serious he couldn't see a problem so I explained I was alone in the place & could he bring the stuff in to just inside the door.

He looked at me like I was the crazy one & said that he couldn't as he was 'busy'. So I told the ape to fcuk off out of there, hobbled outside & asked a young lad passing if he would lift the stock in for €20. The young lad gratefully accepted & was €20 better off in less than five minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

Op your after getting a serious backlash and now your trying to completely change your story, your talking sh!te. first of all in your original post your had a bad ass attitude "I went out to him and told him that they needed to be brought into the storeroom at the back of the office"... and.. "He looked at me with a big, thick head on him" , then in your second version of events after everyone telling your you were in the wrong you try make out like you went out there all full of manners an sh!t.

You also mention absolutely nothing in your original post about the driver leaving paper out in the rain, which is clearly ridiculous and I think if that had been the case you wouldn't have failed to mention it as it's such an important point.

Seems you came here, posted a thread expecting everyone to agree with you but in reality whats happened is over 90% of people are telling you your completely in the wrong and basically your a d!ck. So now what your doing is adding stupid little things to your story to get people to agree with you. "oh but I asked him nicely" "oh but I was very busy with a client in a meeting" "oh it was p!ssing rain".............

YOUR WRONG JUST SUCK IT UP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Sometimes it's hard to believe there's a recession happening when so many places still give really bad customer service. I've had a few occurances over the last while, but today's took the biscuit...

I ordered some paper last week from a company in Dublin - 50 rolls of A1 size sheets for a printer. The delivery guy arrived today & started to unload the boxes, leaving them propped up against the wall just inside the gates leading to my office / studio.

After a few minutes, I went out to him and told him that they needed to be brought into the storeroom at the back of the office. He said that he only delivered to the "point of entry" & I would have to bring them there myself.

I told him again that I wanted them put in the storeroom, that I didn't have time for this malarky & that I'd paid his company to deliver the paper to my office & not drop them against a wall beside the gate.

He looked at me with a big, thick head on him & said, "well, de ye bleedin' want 'em or naat - coz I can leave 'em here or take 'em back?"

So he did. And drove all the way back to Dublin with them. A 400km round trip drive for nothing.

You would expect people to try & go the extra mile these days, but this prick wouldn't even go the extra 20 foot.

Recession, me arse.

Should of gone to R&R. At least they'd agree with you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

This has absolutely nothing to do with the recession!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Unbelievable is'nt it. You'd swear it was across a field and over a ditch ffs.

OP, why didn't you just order your butler to take the boxes in?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

I heard a Roadstone driver built a wall at the front of his house when he delivered his blocks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

All right - to put the matter straight.. the delivery guy was a direct employee of the paper company. He was asked nicely if the paper could be put in the storeroom. He refused to do so, bluntly. I told him that as I was busy, I hadn't time to do it myself & as the ground was wet, I didn't want the paper getting wet.

So I told him that he could either put the paper in the storeroom, or take it back as it would be useless to me if it got wet. He decided that it wasn't worth his while, reloaded the van & drove back to Dublin.

When his boss found out what happened, he was absolutely furious about it & apologised profusely.

This has nothing to do with me being snobby, arrogant or expecting a low-paid worker to do extra work for no extra money.... this is about simple common sense.

If I was paid to drive 400km & asked to lift a few boxes into a storeroom, I wouldn't think twice about it. If I thought there was an insurance issue, I would have at the very least, made a phone call to my boss & asked him what to do. The last thing I would do is what he did.

I'm sure the company's profits can't be that high on a long haul delivery, but I'd be certain that they would be less than zero if the delivery wasn't made, the payment wasn't made & wages and petrol had to paid out of their pocket.

In the days of the Celtic Tiger, we came to expect this kind of thing - but when most companies are struggling to stay afloat, you would expect them to go the extra mile to ensure clients are happy. I know this only too well, because I run my own company & to keep clients, I have to put in a lot more effort than I did a few years back, because - not only is it expected (people want real value for money these days) - but if you don't, your competitors will be more than willing to take their business & provide a better service.

Like I said, it's a matter of simple common sense.

Sorry, I still can't agree. How could you have asked nicely while giving him the ultimatum to bring it in or pack it up again?

What you're asking is NOT the norm of ANY company. I would highly doubt you have insurance to cover the guy and even if you did how is he to know? Most other places he visits doesn't.

Its very naive to think he drove 400km just for you. Talk about recession, do you really think they paid a drivers wages and the costs to drive 400km for some paper? Doubt it.

Sounds very arrogant of you. Maybe if you ACTUALLY asked nicely, some guys might have the time to do it but most don't or won't for the above reasons.

I really don't get where you're coming from here, how has the recession got anything to do with it? If I was him I MAY have put it inside the door for you on a wet day but I certainly wouldn't have stood there while some arrogant guy in a tie wants me to do his heavy work.

Grow up man, you got what you paid for and now you're mad you shot yourself in the foot when he called your bluff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Recession, me arse.

During the boom years would you still have sent them back or are you using peoples' job security fears now as a rod to beat a bit of extra work out of them and maybe a bit of grovelling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

Can't understand why eveyone is against the OP on this - I reckon he was dead right - don't do a half arsed job and don't half deliver something.

What if I gave you half your change or half your sandwich?

In relation to the recession, I reckon all starbelgrade was trying to say was that things can't be too bad if the driver was willing to drive 400k for nothing rather than put the paper in the office.

The fact that the boss of the company agreed with starbelgrade would indicate that the driver was a chancer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

I'm with the OP also, I see it all to often in my work

I'd say his boss would be happy to hear they lost out on a sale and wasted time and money out of his thranness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I have a staff who will, without being prompted, run out into the rain to help a customer. All delivery people who come into our building ask where you would like something put. These things are common courtesy, and basic customer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

During the boom years would you still have sent them back or are you using peoples' job security fears now as a rod to beat a bit of extra work out of them and maybe a bit of grovelling?

Oh for f*cks sake. That's just a ridiculous statement to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Can't understand why eveyone is against the OP on this - I reckon he was dead right - don't do a half arsed job and don't half deliver something.

What if I gave you half your change or half your sandwich?

In relation to the recession, I reckon all starbelgrade was trying to say was that things can't be too bad if the driver was willing to drive 400k for nothing rather than put the paper in the office.

The fact that the boss of the company agreed with starbelgrade would indicate that the driver was a chancer.

It's not the same thing is it? 20 feet isnt half of 400km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

changes wrote: »
    I'm with the OP also, I see it all to often in my work

I'd say his boss would be happy to hear they lost out on a sale and wasted time and money out of his thranness.

They'll easily sell it to someone else. There arent many offices that dont use paper to print on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

You wouldn't go to a restaurant & have the chef cook you a dinner, but tell you that you have to plate it up youself.

You've never been to an all-you-can-eat I take it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

orourkeda wrote: »
    They'll easily sell it to someone else. There arent many offices that dont use paper to print on

These offices are free to order of some other company if they are not happy with the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

We used to get A0 rolls delivered - to the door. That was normal, though we never ordered 50 like you OP (massive order by the way, can understand how the manager was pi**ed off losing out on that kind of sale, regardless of who was at fault). Always had to bring them into the store ourselves.

You mention there was a car in the driveway, would this have stopped him pulling up to the door and unloading there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Dr. Zeus

Am with the OP in terms of the levels of customer service in this country.

Ireland is truly shocking in terms of customer service, recession or boom!

Some places act like they are doing you a favour by taking your business. Others show no interest what so ever in securing your business, no forward thinking like this could be a customer for life, generate referrals etc. The amount of times I have rung places as a potential customer and get no return phone call. Never ceases to amaze me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

You would expect people to try & go the extra mile these days, but this prick wouldn't even go the extra 20 foot. Recession, me arse.

Well? What? Maybe he's not even getting minimum wage and the bank bounced his SKY TV DD, and all YOU wanted to do was abuse him further!

Oh yes, I'm a bit biased, I used to do deliveries too.

Advertisement