Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession, Me Arse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

OP: Recession is over... you're late to the party!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

mikom wrote: »
    He should not have used that toner voice.

Yeah, he was only acting the xerox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP, you've just announced to AH that you're lazy and unhelpful. I tip my hat to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

After a few minutes, I went out to him and told him that they needed to be brought into the storeroom at the back of the office. He said that he only delivered to the "point of entry" & I would have to bring them there myself.

The storeroom is about 20 foot away from the gate.

I told him again that I wanted them put in the storeroom, that I didn't have time for this malarky & that I'd paid his company to deliver the paper to my office & not drop them against a wall beside the gate.

He looked at me with a big, thick head on him & said, "well, de ye bleedin' want 'em or naat - coz I can leave 'em here or take 'em back?"

I told him to take them back.

So he did. And drove all the way back to Dublin with them. A 400km round trip drive for nothing.

You would expect people to try & go the extra mile these days, but this prick wouldn't even go the extra 20 foot.

Recession, me arse.

Well you seem like a nice fellow, You dont have time for this "malarky", well if that isnt patrionzing someones job I dont know what is.
    ( I was referring to our conversation)

You seem to have time for 9000+ posts,
    What has that got do with it

Also surely being in the business this long, you know what delivery drivers standard protocol is and anything extra should be specified at point of order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

You're both idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Sometimes it's hard to believe there's a recession happening when so many places still give really bad customer service. I've had a few occurances over the last while, but today's took the biscuit...

I ordered some paper last week from a company in Dublin - 50 rolls of A1 size sheets for a printer. The delivery guy arrived today & started to unload the boxes, leaving them propped up against the wall just inside the gates leading to my office / studio.

After a few minutes, I went out to him and told him that they needed to be brought into the storeroom at the back of the office. He said that he only delivered to the "point of entry" & I would have to bring them there myself.

I told him again that I wanted them put in the storeroom, that I didn't have time for this malarky & that I'd paid his company to deliver the paper to my office & not drop them against a wall beside the gate.

He looked at me with a big, thick head on him & said, "well, de ye bleedin' want 'em or naat - coz I can leave 'em here or take 'em back?"

So he did. And drove all the way back to Dublin with them. A 400km round trip drive for nothing.

You would expect people to try & go the extra mile these days, but this prick wouldn't even go the extra 20 foot.

Recession, me arse.

Lets hope he'll be dismissed from his job soon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

I could change my attitude perhaps, but that would do little to change the fact that some people are born with big, thick heads on them.

I have more respect for the guy that refused to pander to your demands
    and chose to drive back to his boss to tell him he rejected "your custom"
    because you've forgotten human decency in these recessionary times -
    even if he has "a big thick head on him" :rolleyes: Lets not forget that driver had
    to go back to his boss without any money and has actually cost their
    company money for the trip and the booking etc, all because you've got no
    f'ing manners and he refused to be treated like a dog by someone else.

I hope you feel big.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

What's more is that in my old job we took in stuff from trucks off crates
    nearly hourly and not once did the delivery people come inside, we always
    sent people outside to help the driver unload, get them out of their
    quickly because we're both busy parties and have no time for power
    games, especially when things are busy...
    If I was paid to drive 400km & asked to lift a few boxes into a storeroom, I wouldn't think twice about it.

I hate to break it to you but not everybody sees the world in the same way
    as you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

If the delivery guy was leaving goods that can be easily waterdamaged in the rain then he's an idiot. If he thinks that put them inside the gate of a premises and not to where deliveries are taken in then he's a lazy idiot. I've worked in places where delivery guys had to come back because we dont accept deliveries during lunch hours. They either waited patiently or got other orders done if possible. That delivery guy should be reported.

Your attitude didnt help the situation but with companies all around Ireland under pressure, you'd think that they'd want to keep customers happy and get repeat business and recommendations from existing customers.

He'll wonder why he's on the dole in a few months, god bless him...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

No - that's my job. I know how to do it & don't expect someone else to hold my hand while I'm doing it.

That was my point.

You wouldn't go to a restaurant & have the chef cook you a dinner, but tell you that you have to plate it up youself.

No i expect it to be plated and placed on a table in front of me. I dont however expect him to cut it into pieces for me too:rolleyes::P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

The driver was not assisted in any way, you admitted that the delivery bay was taken up with a clients car. Did you try get the car moved ?
    Where was the driver to leave the load ?
    Manners cost nothing.
    I support the driver in not taking any **** from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

I used to a work in a shop and there was one milk man called noel who called most mornings. I would be mad busy on my own getting all the breakfast deli food ready, and serving the early customers at the till.
    He would unpack all the milk from the plastic, and pack all the cartons neatly in the fridge, and was super quick at doing it. He was such a sound and lovely man, would put me in a good mood in the mornings.
    Paul the bread man was the same. He would just get me to price the loaves, and then he would pack them on the shelves really quickly and neatly. Another lovely friendly man.
    The odd time there would be another milk delivery man and he would literally drop the cartons on the floor beside the fridge, and just say "sign here" before rushing off. I would be left dumping burst cartons into the "returns" box, and cleaning all the spilt milk on top of all the other stuff I had to do.:mad:

I never expected or would expect delivery men to unpackage and help pack the products, but just wanted to thank those two men who used to help me out in the mornings. It was much appreciated.:)

Man who used to drop and bust the cartons, always just before I got the chance to ask you to be careful: It takes 2 seconds to carefully just place them on the ground beside the fridge. No need for such a rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

I work as security in a large retail store by day and it really pisses me off when customers think they can act like complete dickheads and get away with it if they mention the word 'recession'.

Pricks try barging past when we're locking up and touting 'the recession' as the reason we should let them in. Arseholes throwing stock that has been tidied moments beforehand on the floor and using 'the recession' as the reason staff should be grateful to pick it up.

By night I work security in a busy nightclub and bar complex and same story there. Customers getting arsey when asked to leave after their half hour finishing up time, sipping on their drink and saying 'I can't leave it here, it's a recession'. Dickheads complaining about the entrance fee to the nightclub saying 'lower the prices, we're in a recession'.

1. I don't control the prices. i'm only a bloody doorman.
    2. Nobody's forcing you to come here.
    3. It's a Saturday night. Everywhere else in town is 15 quid. We're a tenner. I can see 100 quid in your wallet. Shut the fook up.

To summarize, in my experience this 'recession' ****e is only bandied about by ignorant gob****es using it as an excuse to be even bigger gob****es when they think they can get away with it. I've NEVER heard any ordinary decent Joe Soap use it to get their own way.

That is all.

I'd just like to point out - and your nightclub may well be different - that any nightclub i've been in doesn't afford it's customers the half hour drinking up time. Most of the time, once the dj finishes and the lights come on, we're rushed towards the door straightaway with no time to finish the expensive drinks we may have bought just 5 minutes earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Just out of interest OP, had you used this company before? Had they always delivered the stock to your store room or was this a first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

OP, I bet any money the deliver man boss when you rang him was thinking along these lines:

"What an idiot, my employee is right, but I can't exactly tell him to go **** himself because I need his custom"
    Recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Sometimes it's hard to believe there's a recession happening when so many places still give really bad customer service. I've had a few occurances over the last while, but today's took the biscuit...

I ordered some paper last week from a company in Dublin - 50 rolls of A1 size sheets for a printer. The delivery guy arrived today & started to unload the boxes, leaving them propped up against the wall just inside the gates leading to my office / studio.

Recession, me arse.

I'd imagine the gate is the point of entry, so the driver did his job.

I work in a customer service role and the amount of pig-ignorant people who ring through is phenomenal. No manners at all. I'd never realised how bad irish people are for it until i worked here, its ridiculous.

I had one guy phone today give out to me because someone from the office had called on a private number and he didn't answer, but they left a message asking him to call her back. He went into a rant about how we were calling him on private number so he didn't know who was calling him and we could catch him out. I put the question to him that surely if she had not wanted him to know who she was she wouldn't have left her name and number and asked him to call her back.

Straight back into rant mode and demanded that she find a phone that was not witheld and call him back, and if she called on private number he wouldn't answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Once time i got this taxi right and i was like take me home and the prick just stopped outside my house and was like were here and im like the door is the right there bitch carry me in what am i paying you for you big thick headed peasant !!!

The cheek of some people these days :mad:

Lone Stone wrote: »
    Once time i got this taxi right and i was like take me home and the prick just stopped outside my house and was like were here and im like the door is the right there bitch carry me in what am i paying you for you big thick headed peasant !!!

Are you being sarcastic? cuz...uhhhh I actually do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I think the flag is history.

I think the flag is racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Bone

lizt wrote: »
    If you had been a bit more polite with the delievry guy- like "Listen, I'm sorry, I'm a bit tied up at the minute, is there any way you could possibly bring the stuff into the storeroom? I just don't want the stuff to get ruined in the rain. I'd really appreciate it" - I'm sure the guy would have been more responsive.
    It seems from your post you demanded that he do it and if that is the case, I don't blame him for his actions. It costs nothing to be polite.

totally agree with this. If you went out guns blazing he was right to tell you to piss off! I'm so sick of thi just be glad you have a job and put up with what ever some arse throws a you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I used to a work in a shop and there was one milk man called noel who called most mornings. I would be mad busy on my own getting all the breakfast deli food ready, and serving the early customers at the till.
    He would unpack all the milk from the plastic, and pack all the cartons neatly in the fridge, and was super quick at doing it. He was such a sound and lovely man, would put me in a good mood in the mornings.
    Paul the bread man was the same. He would just get me to price the loaves, and then he would pack them on the shelves really quickly and neatly. Another lovely friendly man.
    The odd time there would be another milk delivery man and he would literally drop the cartons on the floor beside the fridge, and just say "sign here" before rushing off. I would be left dumping burst cartons into the "returns" box, and cleaning all the spilt milk on top of all the other stuff I had to do.:mad:

I never expected or would expect delivery men to unpackage and help pack the products, but just wanted to thank those two men who used to help me out in the mornings. It was much appreciated.:)

Man who used to drop and bust the cartons, always just before I got the chance to ask you to be careful: It takes 2 seconds to carefully just place them on the ground beside the fridge. No need for such a rush.

Same in a shop I worked in, all the breadmen and milkmen sorted out their shelves when they delivered and we restocked them afterwards if needed. AFAIK, they all did this in every commercial premises in the town. Sure its the same everywhere.

I work in a customer service role and the amount of pig-ignorant people who ring through is phenomenal. No manners at all. I'd never realised how bad irish people are for it until i worked here, its ridiculous.

I had one guy phone today give out to me because someone from the office had called on a private number and he didn't answer, but they left a message asking him to call her back. He went into a rant about how we were calling him on private number so he didn't know who was calling him and we could catch him out. I put the question to him that surely if she had not wanted him to know who she was she wouldn't have left her name and number and asked him to call her back.

Straight back into rant mode and demanded that she find a phone that was not witheld and call him back, and if she called on private number he wouldn't answer.

No he didnt do his job, the point of entry is a security risk above all else. The point of entry is never the place where you place deliveries. If it isnt clear where you unload, you are expected to find out where it is and unload there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Us Irish don't "do" customer service it's a simple as that. You have to go to the states for that. They have a completely different mindset when it comes to customer satisfaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

I have more respect for the guy that refused to pander to your demands
    and chose to drive back to his boss to tell him he rejected "your custom"
    because you've forgotten human decency in these recessionary times -
    even if he has "a big thick head on him" :rolleyes: Lets not forget that driver had
    to go back to his boss without any money and has actually cost their
    company money for the trip and the booking etc, all because you've got no
    f'ing manners and he refused to be treated like a dog by someone else.

I hope you feel big.

Your lucky sponseredwalk that you work somewhere that everyone you encounter is nice and mannerly.

I work for the PS and have dealings with the public, most are nice, some might be having a bad day and some are nasty awkward c#*ts. I just get on with dealing with them unless they are being outright abusive... its just work in my eyes, i don't take it personal.

That guy should have been more professional and not throw the toys from the pram and cost his company money just because he didn't like the way the OP asked him to move the boxes. He needs to grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭harpsman

Why do businesses/people withold their no.s-i agree with pissed off customer

ps-only an idiot/civil servant would think its ok to leave a delivery of paper on ground outside just cos "they only deliver to the point of entry

burn on civil servants!

lol they do deserve it tho :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Private numbers, hate them. Who in business would not want to be contacted by their customers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 daffyluck

I work for a courier company. I mostly do pallet drops so I can't drop and run(I'm in a truck) but the van drivers can and do. Doubt if he drove 400km!!! boxes would travel to a nearer depo and local drivers would deliver.A good driver would get 120 drops done in a day getting 2-3 euro per drop 50 boxes may be classes as a pallet he gets 10 euro for a pallet . In my opinion he never wanted to deliver your paper( nobody drops them at the gate) but would go back to the office and say customer was a prick don't give me that drop again. 50 boxes loose he gets 2 or 3 euro to deliver them all envelope he gets 2-3 euro.I get all the ****e drops van drivers don't want to do.
    My advice to all is never compain to the courier company they don't give a **** go straight to your supplier tell them exactly the way the driver behaved get the drivers name.
    My pregnant wife was told by a guy who dropped a pallet of books on the street outside her office" I don't do steps" she was on her own 8 months pregnant she rang her boss, he rang book supplier ****ed them out of it ,they rang haulier ,he rang driver. Suddenly he could climb 3 steps

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

Lone Stone wrote: »

ha ha ha ha Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 28 St Bunt

Can't believe the amount of abuse OP is getting for sharing his story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

St Bunt wrote: »
    Can't believe the amount of abuse OP is getting for sharing his story.
    He cannot complain at all! The smart alec he is.

Advertisement