Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession, Me Arse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Awful_Bliss

I'm with OP too. Bad manners and service have carried on from the Celtic Tiger and is here to stay. Maybe it's those fools who believe the Government when they say we're out of recession. "Oh great. we can be rude again!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Tombiman wrote: »
    20 feet away?

Couldn't you have just moved them yourself? The delivery man did his job by delivering them to you. So what he didn't place them in the place you wanted, how was he to know?
    They were to be delivered to his store though, i.e. the address on the packaging. Not propped up against the gate. I've had the same carry on from delivery guys who think they can pull a quick one by leaving goods outside my place of work.....on the footpath no less. F*ck that sh*t. They're paid to deliver to the premises - not do a half arsed job and drop the stuff outside. If they can't do their job, they should move over and let someone else do it for them - there are plenty who would gladly replace them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Con1988

This storey is very familar to the Rockinrolla thread..... Odd....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Gaudizeit

No - that's my job. I know how to do it & don't expect someone else to hold my hand while I'm doing it.

That was my point.

You wouldn't go to a restaurant & have the chef cook you a dinner, but tell you that you have to plate it up youself.

to be honest, I think you were wrong. Where does he draw the line? 20 feet, 40, 60? He brought you what you asked for. A milkman doesn't put the milk in your fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Your arse-hair is receding?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Con1988 wrote: »
    This storey is very familar to the Rockinrolla thread..... Odd....:confused:
    Here's a Present for you man, you deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Dudess wrote: »

You can understand it though, the boxes were very heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

They rang me when their delivery guy got back & they were well p*ssed off with what happened. Not only did they not get paid for the paper, but wasted money paying the gimp for his time & the diesel.

I probably should have explained earlier too, that it had been raining, so the ground he was leaving the paper on was wet & as I was in the middle of a meeting with a client when he arrived, I didn't have time to help him unload the boxes, which I would normally do.

Why didn't you say this in the OP?

Methinks somebody's embellishing because they didn't get the sympathy they were looking for:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

rossie1977 wrote: »
    customer service has dropped big time since the recession, you still can't get anyone to do a job (tiling, plumbing etc) these days and when you do get someone they f**k you over

I spent 6 months looking for a tiler last year that wasn't a rip-off & could do the job in a reasonable time.

Ended up getting a guy who did the job for half the price of most of the quotes I got... he drove up & back from Mullingar every day, worked from 9am till 8 every evening and did a brilliant job.

But you don't get many people willing to put the extra effort in like that.

Worked out well for him too though - I've recommended him to lots of clients & he's booked out constantly these days... he's even taken on 3 guys to help him with the workload.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Dudess wrote: »

Huh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

Realy, delivering to point of entry is pretty standard
    Have you got public liability insurance on your premises?

Lift the delivery the final 20ft yourself

He could have been less rude, for sure.

But lots of low-paid workers taking paycuts and working longer hours are getting fed up with the serf/overlord relationship that has crept in since the recession. Its very much a "you're lucky to have a job, so act grateful" kind of attitude. More bang for your buck. I can replace you tomorrow, so let's see you go that extra mile. Or 20 feet might do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The delivery guy obviously couldn't tell the difference between stationery and stationary, and in the end, his brain went into melt-down.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I spent 6 months looking for a tiler last year that wasn't a rip-off & could do the job in a reasonable time.

Ended up getting a guy who did the job for half the price of most of the quotes I got... he drove up & back from Mullingar every day, worked from 9am till 8 every evening and did a brilliant job.

But you don't get many people willing to put the extra effort in like that.

Worked out well for him too though - I've recommended him to lots of clients & he's booked out constantly these days... he's even taken on 3 guys to help him with the workload.

http://bigmentaldisease.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Kenneth-Williams.jpg

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The delivery guy obviously couldn't tell the difference between stationery and stationary, and in the end, his brain went into melt-down.

:D

If I'd read that earlier, I would have used it when his boss rang me this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Aw, I read the other thread first.

Boo. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

krudler wrote: »
    Thread fail turnaround attempt fail :pac:
    Why didn't you say this in the OP?

Methinks somebody's embellishing because they didn't get the sympathy they were looking for:rolleyes:

Considering it's been pissing rain (In Dublin anyway , not sure where the Op is from) hard to think he's lieing about that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Considering it's been pissing rain (In Dublin anyway , not sure where the Op is from) hard to think he's lieing about that :rolleyes:

Hi, welcome to AH, where people make everyday issues into trivial humour in an attempt to make people laugh, jump in, waters lovely ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭eddie the eagle

He could have been less rude, for sure.

But lots of low-paid workers taking paycuts and working longer hours are getting fed up with the serf/overlord relationship that has crept in since the recession. Its very much a "you're lucky to have a job, so act grateful" kind of attitude. More bang for your buck. I can replace you tomorrow, so let's see you go that extra mile. Or 20 feet might do it.

have seen that attitude a lot recently. pisses me off no end :mad:

krudler wrote: »
    trivial humour

Humour requires it to be funny ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Huh?
    Wordplay with the title.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

OP, i hear ya but this is the norm with most deliveries, a pain in the hole but for insurance etc its usually the done thing.

Can't believe you sent him back though, as you say this is a recession surely you would have said **** it and hauled them in yourself-you needed the stuff after all.

Humour requires it to be funny ;)

lazy people just don't have a sense of humor;)

OP, i hear ya but this is the norm with most deliveries, a pain in the hole but for insurance etc its usually the done thing.

Can't believe you sent him back though, as you say this is a recession surely you would have said **** it and hauled them in yourself-you needed the stuff after all.

I have insurance, I was in a meeting & quite frankly, if someone is too lazy or can't be bothered to put in a tiny bit of effort to keep my custom, I'll shop somewhere else.

And I have no time for "jobsworths".

lazy people just don't have a sense of humor;)

Who said anything about me being lazy?

The funniest, or rather, stupidest thing about the affair is that the client who I was meeting, had parked his car across the entrance to the driveway, so the delivery van had to park up behind his car.

It would have been less of an effort for the delivery guy to put the boxes in the storeroom than leave them against the wall, then pick them back up & walk back to the van with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Sometimes it's hard to believe there's a recession happening when so many places still give really bad customer service. I've had a few occurances over the last while, but today's took the biscuit...

I ordered some paper last week from a company in Dublin - 50 rolls of A1 size sheets for a printer. The delivery guy arrived today & started to unload the boxes, leaving them propped up against the wall just inside the gates leading to my office / studio.

After a few minutes, I went out to him and told him that they needed to be brought into the storeroom at the back of the office. He said that he only delivered to the "point of entry" & I would have to bring them there myself.

The storeroom is about 20 foot away from the gate.

I told him again that I wanted them put in the storeroom, that I didn't have time for this malarky & that I'd paid his company to deliver the paper to my office & not drop them against a wall beside the gate.

He looked at me with a big, thick head on him & said, "well, de ye bleedin' want 'em or naat - coz I can leave 'em here or take 'em back?"

I told him to take them back.

So he did. And drove all the way back to Dublin with them. A 400km round trip drive for nothing.

You would expect people to try & go the extra mile these days, but this prick wouldn't even go the extra 20 foot.

Recession, me arse.

Perhaps if you had tried asking him he might have responded better - just a thought. If you attitude is as reflected in your post I'm not surprised you got the reaction you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Not sure if this is everywhere , but if we leave our wheelie bin just inside the front gate , it will not be emptied .

It has to be left outside on the pavement .

Must be a health & safety issue .

The company must be afraid that their employee will trip up in my garden and sue me - I just don't know .

two chances of that happening !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 BrockSamson

what a very silly post the guy did his job

and you suck at lying

and you suck at lying

What did the OP lie about?

• Advertisement

Who said anything about me being lazy?

no-one, i was talking about the OP

Advertisement