Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession, Me Arse

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Contractor Audits! I used to do them all the time. The supplier obviously transports a lot of stuff to various clients, how the client receives their order is the suppliers concern and responsibility and therefore they should know exactly the level of service the drivers are providing.

I think that at the end of the day, how the supplier responds to this will probably determine the relationship between them and the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭RTighe

Trekker09 wrote: »
    Contractor Audits! I used to do them all the time. The supplier obviously transports a lot of stuff to various clients, how the client receives their order is the suppliers concern and responsibility and therefore they should know exactly the level of service the drivers are providing.

I think that at the end of the day, how the supplier responds to this will probably determine the relationship between them and the OP.

True and they should expect a level of standard and professionalism from anyone in any trade or service.

You obviously didn't read the 18 pages. The delivery guy was a direct employee of the supplier.

Nope i didn't, I was commenting on the original post and on the reference that it was delivered in wet conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Adam wrote: »
    what's flutterin gonna wipe his arse with now??

Not with printer paper friend,that's for sure.

Burst a clump of ripe arse grapes over in Heuston Stn. there last month with hard shiny paper.Like fcuking tinfoil it was:eek:

Fcukin stall was like an abbatoir.

Had to cancel an important business trip.

So there's yer answer.

RTighe wrote: »
    True and they should expect a level of standard and professionalism from anyone in any trade or service.

Exactly, and this is the crux of the OP's post. A couple of years ago, when we were all flying around the place with our Blackberries pinned to our ear, the level of customer service declined drastically, and we kind of accepted it because there was a large customer base to fish from. These days, you have to cherish each customer and treat them accordingly.

• Advertisement

Trekker09 wrote: »
    Exactly, and this is the crux of the OP's post. A couple of years ago, when we were all flying around the place with our Blackberries pinned to our ear, the level of customer service declined drastically, and we kind of accepted it because there was a large customer base to fish from. These days, you have to cherish each customer and treat them accordingly.

Well that goes without saying really, BUT: I have found that some customers would be quite happy to push and twist to get better deals and prices, and can sometimes be arrogant about it.

Typical Phrase i often hear in my line of work is "Sure XYZ said they'll do it for half price". When I hear that i usually respond (Very politely) "Well if thats the case then, and i'm not able to match them, maybe you should go to them" then i explain that if i did it for that price i'd make a loss. sometimes they're chancing their arm sometimes they're not. sometimes they come back, sometimes they don't.

Has anyone else ever come across this in their trade/professions? (just in relation to Customer/supplier relationships?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Yeah it is a difficult time all round both for the person providing the service and those buying it. I employed someone to do a small construction job recently , his price was very right but I made the cardinal error of not checking out the quality of his work (I nearly always do) His workmanship and timekeeping was deplorable and I was glad to see the back of him. He will get no referrals and will not last. If you are providing a quality product at a reasonable price you will continue to get business. Problem for the service buyer is that he feels he has been ripped off by everyone over the last few years and is feeling the pain now.

Well that goes without saying really, BUT: I have found that some customers would be quite happy to push and twist to get better deals and prices, and can sometimes be arrogant about it.

Typical Phrase i often hear in my line of work is "Sure XYZ said they'll do it for half price". When I hear that i usually respond (Very politely) "Well if thats the case then, and i'm not able to match them, maybe you should go to them" then i explain that if i did it for that price i'd make a loss. sometimes they're chancing their arm sometimes they're not. sometimes they come back, sometimes they don't.

Has anyone else ever come across this in their trade/professions? (just in relation to Customer/supplier relationships?

This is very prevalent alright, but the actual cost is only 1 criteria that should be used to determine supplier/contractor suitability. The cheapest is not always the best. I would always weight audits on client requirements and specific needs and usually cost would be an important, but not themost important item. Availability, lead time. accuracy and client/customer relationship would nearly always be above it in the pecking order.

I have experienced what you are talking about a few times, and they are usually chancing their arm as you say. I guess this is natural as 'The Customer Is King' is back in vogue, (quite rightly). I tried it last time I bought a car, about two years ago,and thought that a I was paying cash and no trade in they'd take the hand off me. WRONG!!!!! I actually walked out of a main Audi dealership after waiting 40 minutes with my daughter and will never go back there again. Some garages were OK, but most seemed to be lethargic to say the least. I ended up buying a year old Megane off a pal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The title of this caught me eye earlier this week and i can't believe it's gone to 18 pages.

The drivers attitude could've been better, But OP Do you not think it was a little bit harsh to send the consignment back? or had the stock been damaged due to weather at that point? (If so then fair enough to send it back)

Just my opinion.

Robbie

Hi Robbie... I can't believe it's run to 18 pages either. Even more unbelievable is that it's had almost 19,000 views, which is more than the "List of Legendary Boards Threads" & that one is a sticky!!

The paper probably wasn't damaged - but if it had been left there much longer, I'd say it would have been. Either way, I didn't send it back - I was told I could take it as it was left, or he'd take it back.. and in rather a gruff tone too. For me, there was no option - if that's your attitude, then f*ck off back to Dublin with your paper.. the only time & money that's been wasted is yours & your companys.

On a normal day, I'd have no problem shifting the goods myself - I usually help delivery guys unload & they usually help me bring stuff to the stockroom. To me, that's just normal.

The paper probably wasn't damaged - but if it had been left there much longer, I'd say it would have been. Either way, I didn't send it back - I was told I could take it as it was left, or he'd take it back.. and in rather a gruff tone too. For me, there was no option - if that's your attitude, then f*ck off back to Dublin with your paper.. the only time & money that's been wasted is yours & your companys.

On a normal day, I'd have no problem shifting the goods myself - I usually help delivery guys unload & they usually help me bring stuff to the stockroom. To me, that's just normal.

I'd Agree with you on that point, as i stated in a previous post i didnt notice the comment saying the driver was an employee of the supplier, so yeah i'd have done the same,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

You obviously didn't read the 18 pages. The delivery guy was a direct employee of the supplier.
    In fairness, I wouldn't want to read 18 pages about delivering some ****ty paper :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

And therein lies a fundamental difference between me & you. In your original post, you accused me of being the type to "throw money" at a problem & of having airs "money is king" about me.

Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm an architect & have been for quite some time. During the boom years, I walked away from the profession, because the building industry was taken over by f*ckwits with easy access to credit & land, and who, slowly went up their own arses with greed & power. The day I decided I'd had enough was when a client walked into my office, tore up a design for an apartment block I had designed & said, "I'm the f*cking developer - I'll tell you how they're supposed to look."

I told him to go f*ck himself, then left Dublin, moved to the West & set up a music business. I have no time for fools & even less time for fools who think their money makes them important.

Since the recession hit, all those idiots are now either bust, or under the thumb of NAMA & the only people building now are one of clients, with less money, but a lot more respect for what I do, so I'm back working part time in the profession again & part time with my other business.

So you see, unlike you, I can't maintain two faces by sucking up to people with money, whilst holding my tongue. And I certainly don't throw money at problems... I do however expect value for money & good customer service - but if I don't get it, I have no problem in telling them to go f*ck themselves too. Because basically I treat all people the same - whether they're a delivery man or millionaire developer.

I expect basic common sense, courtesy & manners from all - I give it, so I expect it in return.

Based on that post alone, I applaud your attitude and common sense - seriously.

My opinion is still however that you were unnecessarily rude, ignorant and petty with the delivery man, despite his own laziness. You gave him none of the manners, courtesy mentioned above in my view. You were acting like a spoilt brat, basically. That's not to say that in principle he should have delivered it inside the door - but reacting as you did was selfish I think.

I don't suck up to people with money - I treat everyone equally and I do my job as best I can. Sometimes that involves extracting money from people when you're in sales, believe it or not.

OisinT wrote: »
    In fairness, I wouldn't want to read 18 pages about delivering some ****ty paper :D

Neither would I and I started the shaggin' thread!

I only kept up with it to see some of the bizzare reactions that it's got... two people got banned from AH for their posts in this thread. Can you believe that? All over some sh*tty paper!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

Is this what the ERSI use to measure economic activity?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

What a paper chase?

What a paper chase?

Don't stop now... you're on a roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Time to wrap up this thread - people starting to rip the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Rather droll pun, or play on words, about paper.

Somebody thank me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Hi Robbie... I can't believe it's run to 18 pages either. Even more unbelievable is that it's had almost 19,000 views, which is more than the "List of Legendary Boards Threads" & that one is a sticky!!

and the reason for all these pages, we have all been treated badly at sometime by some ungrateful employee, so this kind of conduct affects us all.i do hope many more read it, and that it will be a lesson to customers, not to accept this conduct, and do something about it

sdonn wrote: »
    Based on that post alone, I applaud your attitude and common sense - seriously.

My opinion is still however that you were unnecessarily rude, ignorant and petty with the delivery man, despite his own laziness. You gave him none of the manners, courtesy mentioned above in my view. You were acting like a spoilt brat, basically. That's not to say that in principle he should have delivered it inside the door - but reacting as you did was selfish I think.

I don't suck up to people with money - I treat everyone equally and I do my job as best I can. Sometimes that involves extracting money from people when you're in sales, believe it or not.

You are so wrong it would embarrass Rooney!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement