Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession, Me Arse

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

sorry starbel but I'm with the delivery guy on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

I'm amazed this thread has gone on 7 pages without a single 'jaysus, Joe, it's awful, Joe - state of the country these days!'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Having spent several years working in goods inwards over the years, delivery to point of entry is absolutely standard. However most delivery people of small goods will put the stuff wherever you want it, if you ASK them. Odds are the guy was a courier, probably in much more of a hurry than you were and not inclined to yield to petty demands to move a few boxes of paper 20 feet away. I mean lets face facts, unless you're an emergency room surgeon or something, you did have the time to move it yourself.
    Also, surely there is somewhere a bit closer to home that sells paper? 200Km for paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

For people complaining about the customer service aspect:
    The guy isn't a customer service rep, he's a delivery man; he has no obligation to go out of his way to help out or please a customer, just dump whatever delivery he has for them at their door.

Huh?! Most likely he was driving a branded van. He may have been wearing a branded tee-shirt. He is delivering a product that the OP paid for, the same as a counter sales person might deliver a product across the counter. He is the only person that the OP is meeting from this company. He bloody well is a representative! IMO, anyone that has dealings with the customer is a customer service rep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

I know what would have happened here. Had you been nice and asked him with a bit of respect if he could manage to bring them to the storeroom, he either would have responded

1) yes and taken them
    2) no, an apology and an explaination about why his company forbid it due to complications with insurance.

You seem like the kind of person who tells people "you're lucky to have a job in the recession".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

I'm with the OP here to be honest. I've come across loads of couriers and delivery people who take the píss. If something has been ordered and paid for, it's right that it should be delivered to where the customer wants it.

Would it have killed the guy to say "I have paper here for you, where do you want me to leave it?"

What if it was a suite of furniture - would it be ok to leave it at the gate on the street?

No, of course not.

If it was a pilot, would it be ok to land "near" the runway?

No, of course not.

Do your frickin' job dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

If it was a pilot, would it be ok to land "near" the runway?

No, of course not.

Do your frickin' job dude.

That depends, if you worked for Ryanair there seems to be no problem with you landing in a different city altogether!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Huh?! Most likely he was driving a branded van. He may have been wearing a branded tee-shirt. He is delivering a product that the OP paid for, the same as a counter sales person might deliver a product across the counter. He is the only person that the OP is meeting from this company. He bloody well is a representative! IMO, anyone that has dealings with the customer is a customer service rep.
    Sure, if the courier service isn't dealt with by an external company he may represent them to some extent, but it's not comparable to someone at the counter though, as their job is to inform the customer and help them decide what to buy etc..

The delivery man just delivers the stuff, and he's not obliged to do anything more than drop off the delivery at the guys door; most of the time (probably not in the OP's case) these delivery guys are busy and may have to get things done quickly (as sbsquarepaints has said), so they can't be expected to do more than just drop them at the door.

Again though, if they're asked nicely (and are not in a rush) they probably would anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Is this your company OP, was the paper needed urgently?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Realy, delivering to point of entry is pretty standard
    Have you got public liability insurance on your premises?

Lift the delivery the final 20ft yourself

Is point of entry defined as a gateway onto the land or a doorway into the building?

Because by the sound of Starbelgrade's post, the delivery was being dropped off at the gateway.

I wouldn't find that acceptable...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I've worked in a good number of offices over a good number of years, and used a good number of companies to deliver paper. And never once have they decided they were just going to dump them at the door and let the rest of us deal with it.

Unless the guy was specifically told to only deliver to the front gate, he should of put them where the customer wanted. It's common sense. He needs the customer more than they need him. It's something so many businesses don't seem to get these days; you're meant to actually try and get regular customers (unless you're a funeral director, I suppose). He drove 200km. Another 20 foot to ensure a regular income wouldn't have killed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

I'd say if u offered to give u a hand to bring them out the back and maybe offered him a coffee you may have got on better.

Sure, if the courier service isn't dealt with by an external company he may represent them to some extent, but it's not comparable to someone at the counter though, as their job is to inform the customer and help them decide what to buy etc..

The delivery man just delivers the stuff, and he's not obliged to do anything more than drop off the delivery at the guys door; most of the time (probably not in the OP's case) these delivery guys are busy and may have to get things done quickly (as sbsquarepaints has said), so they can't be expected to do more than just drop them at the door.

Again though, if they're asked nicely (and are not in a rush) they probably would anyway.

The OP said that the company were paying his fuel etc. so he seems to be a direct employee. A courier company would be a different story altogether.

When I mentioned the counter staff, the comparison I made was that they are the only person who the customer, the same as this half arsed delivery guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Even if you have public liability insurance Op, I very much doubt It covers someone who is not on your books doing any form of manual lifting on your premises.

I have an Uncle who works as a courier, He won't carry goods into a premisses(inside the door only), as one of the lads in his company did this before on request of the customer, the Lad slipped and hurt his back.

He was out of work for two months,He tried to claim his medical expenses and lost wages back(which is fair enough,honest lad not looking to make huge claim like most), the customer lied to their insurance when asked and said they DID NOT ask the lad to bring the delivery inside(probably to prevent a hike in their policy).

For being nice, The lad lost two months pay(which is very hard for anyone with a family), had to pay for a fair whack on medical expenses, and still suffers from back pain sometimes. So he basically got a big **** you for his efforts to be nice and go that extra bit.

So why should a Delivery person help you out not knowing what would happen should something unfortunate happen to them on your premises?

You could say yeah, well I'm different etc.. but how does the delivery person know that, as such any smart delivery person covers their own back and leaves the goods at point of entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

its so small you can't see it
    benwavner wrote: »
    Wheres that tiny violin gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Is point of entry defined as a gateway onto the land or a doorway into the building?

Because by the sound of Starbelgrade's post, the delivery was being dropped off at the gateway.

I wouldn't find that acceptable...

No wonder Ivor was confused about where he lived ....

Perhaps the OP should put up a sign on the storeroom door "Point of entry" of "goods inwards" or similar.
    Assuming the area between the front gate/door and the store has Public liability insurance or whatever.

Edit: and what hobochris says.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

Aw man I can just imagine what kind of power hungry arrogant person you are in work. A "Delivery Driver" drives 200k to DELEVIER you some paper for your printer which he does, all the way to the property he was supposed to, then you come out pretty much demanding that he take them into the store room??? your getting a delivery driver confused with a sales rep mate.

"Recession my arse", what the hell as that got to do with a recession??? I can just imagine your way of thinking, you honestly think just cause there's a recession on, people that are already probably earning buttons and working their asses off will have to respect you more and do what you ask them even if its not in their job description just because your giving them a bit of business?? 50 rolls of paper for a printer??? How much do you think the company was making profit on 50 rolls of printing paper after paying a guy to drive half way across the country anyway???

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cgordonfreeman

I work as security in a large retail store by day and it really pisses me off when customers think they can act like complete dickheads and get away with it if they mention the word 'recession'.

Pricks try barging past when we're locking up and touting 'the recession' as the reason we should let them in. Arseholes throwing stock that has been tidied moments beforehand on the floor and using 'the recession' as the reason staff should be grateful to pick it up.

By night I work security in a busy nightclub and bar complex and same story there. Customers getting arsey when asked to leave after their half hour finishing up time, sipping on their drink and saying 'I can't leave it here, it's a recession'. Dickheads complaining about the entrance fee to the nightclub saying 'lower the prices, we're in a recession'.

1. I don't control the prices. i'm only a bloody doorman.
    2. Nobody's forcing you to come here.
    3. It's a Saturday night. Everywhere else in town is 15 quid. We're a tenner. I can see 100 quid in your wallet. Shut the fook up.

To summarize, in my experience this 'recession' ****e is only bandied about by ignorant gob****es using it as an excuse to be even bigger gob****es when they think they can get away with it. I've NEVER heard any ordinary decent Joe Soap use it to get their own way.

That is all.

To summarize, in my experience this 'recession' ****e is only bandied about by ignorant gob****es using it as an excuse to be even bigger gob****es when they think they can get away with it. I've NEVER heard any ordinary decent Joe Soap use it to get their own way.

That is all.

The same thing happened in Britain in the 1940s, "don't you know there's a war on!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I work as security in a large retail store by day and it really pisses me off when customers think they can act like complete dickheads and get away with it if they mention the word 'recession'.

Pricks try barging past when we're locking up and touting 'the recession' as the reason we should let them in. Arseholes throwing stock that has been tidied moments beforehand on the floor and using 'the recession' as the reason staff should be grateful to pick it up.

By night I work security in a busy nightclub and bar complex and same story there. Customers getting arsey when asked to leave after their half hour finishing up time, sipping on their drink and saying 'I can't leave it here, it's a recession'. Dickheads complaining about the entrance fee to the nightclub saying 'lower the prices, we're in a recession'.

1. I don't control the prices. i'm only a bloody doorman.
    2. Nobody's forcing you to come here.
    3. It's a Saturday night. Everywhere else in town is 15 quid. We're a tenner. I can see 100 quid in your wallet. Shut the fook up.

That is all.

+1 to this.

what did you want Op, A complementary reach around as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Considering it's been pissing rain (In Dublin anyway , not sure where the Op is from) hard to think he's lieing about that :rolleyes:

He's 200Km from dublin

Somebody mentioned if it was furniture would it be ok to leave it outside and you all ignored it.

Can you imagine leaving a nice new three piece suite out in the pisses of rain in the garden?

This dude is delivering paper. You don't leave it out in the pisses of rain, and you don't expect the customer to have to come out to the van to bring it in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Callan57 wrote: »
    No wonder Ivor was confused about where he lived ....

I don't see the link between trying to find out where the delivery person defines a "point of entry" and a politician who incorrectly claimed expenses for a house he wasn't using as a primary residence.

My query here on this, would then mean that if someone was to expect a delivery into an apartment complex, does the delivery driver drop it off at the gateway into the complex instead of to the doorway of the building?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

All right - to put the matter straight.. the delivery guy was a direct employee of the paper company. He was asked nicely if the paper could be put in the storeroom. He refused to do so, bluntly. I told him that as I was busy, I hadn't time to do it myself & as the ground was wet, I didn't want the paper getting wet.

So I told him that he could either put the paper in the storeroom, or take it back as it would be useless to me if it got wet. He decided that it wasn't worth his while, reloaded the van & drove back to Dublin.

When his boss found out what happened, he was absolutely furious about it & apologised profusely.

This has nothing to do with me being snobby, arrogant or expecting a low-paid worker to do extra work for no extra money.... this is about simple common sense.

If I was paid to drive 400km & asked to lift a few boxes into a storeroom, I wouldn't think twice about it. If I thought there was an insurance issue, I would have at the very least, made a phone call to my boss & asked him what to do. The last thing I would do is what he did.

I'm sure the company's profits can't be that high on a long haul delivery, but I'd be certain that they would be less than zero if the delivery wasn't made, the payment wasn't made & wages and petrol had to paid out of their pocket.

In the days of the Celtic Tiger, we came to expect this kind of thing - but when most companies are struggling to stay afloat, you would expect them to go the extra mile to ensure clients are happy. I know this only too well, because I run my own company & to keep clients, I have to put in a lot more effort than I did a few years back, because - not only is it expected (people want real value for money these days) - but if you don't, your competitors will be more than willing to take their business & provide a better service.

Like I said, it's a matter of simple common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

HaHa, you could see this in a Simpsons episode and have a laugh at it, Homer walking up and down the isle throwing food every where saying "Recession Recession", maybe funny on TV but not in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Have to say I'm with the op on this one.

I had a flood in my house a few years ago and whilst getting it fixed up a lot of heavy stuff was being delivered to me. One half of a large tile order arrived at 7 on a Friday night and the guy delivering it brought them into the house for me. I gave him 20 euro for being so helpful - we were both happy.
    The second half of the order arrived the next week and the dick of a delivery guy left it at the bottom of my driveway and refused to bring it any further. He even had one of those things that move pallets in his truck but he said there was no point in taking it out as it wouldn't work on the gravel - off he went leaving about 1500 worth of stuff at the gateway. WTF??? The driveway is large and there is room to turn on the parking bit right outside the door so it would have made practically no difference to him to drive up near the front door. Also - and I know this is playing the female card - but I'm small, had just had an operation on my spine and I live on my own. He wasn't obliged to help me but surely he should have out of decency. I'm actually in a grump now remembering that incident.

Anyway, I remember at the time complaining about it and people saying 'ah sure the building industry is booming, they don't need your business so they don't need to bother with customer service'. Now people are saying you're an asshole to expect good customer service just because there is a recession. I really think good service should be a given not a bonus.

Apart from all of that starbel seems like a nice guy so I doubt he was being rude to the delivery man. Also, if his issue was that he wasn't insured - which I very much doubt - he could have explained that rather than loading the van back up and driving back to Dublin. What a waste of a day and everybody's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Did he definitely work for the paper company? Cos they could have sent the product via a third party ie DHL etc.

Those guys have to take an awful amount of sh*te from people. Arrive to collect computers that are still on, expected to hook up all kinds of electronic stuff when they're delivered. It's not just what they're expected to it's the attitude - I'm the customer, do what I say. On the other side, those guys have really tight turnarounds, and get flak from head office if they do any extra.

I sympathise with them loads. Anyone who gives them guff for doing something that isn't their job should be given a punishment a la Sisyphus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Anyone who gives them guff for doing something that isn't their job should be given a punishment a la Sisyphus.

I read that as syphillis lol

• Advertisement

Did he definitely work for the paper company? Cos they could have sent the product via a third party ie DHL etc.

Yeah he worked for them. IMO, this paper company needs a new manager.
    the delivery guy was a direct employee of the paper company.

Advertisement