Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Evaa wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I'm looking for a person who can buy with me a platinum preparation package ( online resources + 2 day workshop) as there's a huge group Discount - €350 for this package instead for paying €570 for the same thing...
    Waste of money, the HPAT is like an IQ test you cant really ''learn'' for it. Just practice the questions on your own. These prep courses are a money making scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Evaa

Teutorix wrote: »
    Waste of money, the HPAT is like an IQ test you cant really ''learn'' for it. Just practice the questions on your own. These prep courses are a money making scheme.

Have you been to any preparation workshops for hpat as u r saying that's waste of money??:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Evaa wrote: »
    Have you been to any preparation workshops for hpat as u r saying that's waste of money??:rolleyes:

Well, theres no proof that they do or don't work, so meh, I'd see them as a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭doctorg

Tbh I think the one in tutorial college is the best as it has like 8 days of workshop like every month or so.

<snip>

Let's not, thanks! - RLH

• Registered Users Posts: 2 raulbh

Hi! I'm also looking for someone with whom I can book a place in the ******** course in order to get the group discount! Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Oh...my...God....:eek: :eek:
    Only a fool would pay such an obscene amount!!!

<_<

>_>

<_<

So I caved and got a prep course lads.

jumpguy wrote: »
    Only a fool would pay such an obscene amount!!!

<_<

>_>

<_<

So I caved and got a prep course lads.

Which one did you go for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 smallholl

Im in first year med atm. I got in with 777 points. i did 2 prep courses, the bruce one and the career services one. i wudnt av got in the 100th percentile witout them! i also bought some phycometric books to practice on and downloaded the umat practice papers also. its all about practice. U wouldnt no where to start witout trying it afew times b4hand.

smallholl wrote: »
    Im in first year med atm. I got in with 777 points. i did 2 prep courses, the bruce one and the career services one. i wudnt av got in the 100th percentile witout them! i also bought some phycometric books to practice on and downloaded the umat practice papers also. its all about practice. U wouldnt no where to start witout trying it afew times b4hand.

You said 773 in a post before this. Do you mind me asking what was the breakdown of your points?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

And how you possibly are that smart when you write in textspeak...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Evaa

Could you please give me the titles of the books you bought??

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

I'd love to hear the titles too!

Admittedly, I bought a prep course half outta panic cause my first practice go at the HPAT was an epic disaster. All you need to master before the HPAT is the timing - it's hard! Once you gain a bit of discipline and learn to just leave the hard questions go and focus on finishing it on time and to your best of ability there's not much else you can do!

And that can be done without a HPAT course imo, with a bit of cop on and discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

*LIKE*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mentallylc2011

and wants to get the group discount with me
    PM me ASAP if you do!
    I want to buy it ASAP!
    :)

******** HPAT guys, i dont know why there are stars instead of the word i typed

LOL AGAIN....

You said 773 in a post before this. Do you mind me asking what was the breakdown of your points?

correct i had 773, which was 580 points(=556 hpat points) and 217 in hpat, however my art went from a b2 to an a1 in the rechecks so i went up the extra 4 points.

awh thats cute ur one of those ppl hu tries to sound smart in text instead of writing things quicker :L

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ultimatehero

Anybody want to start a group for the ******** course? 230 euro cheaper :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

awh thats cute ur one of those ppl hu tries to sound smart in text instead of writing things quicker :L

I write fastest when I'm writing properly, plus its actually against the rules on boards to write in textspeak anyway.

How does the Hpat points work any way?? Thanks

• Advertisement

doctorg wrote: »
    How does the Hpat points work any way?? Thanks
    Leaving Cert points are counted normally until 550 points. From 550 to 600 points, every 5 leaving cert points is worth 1 point for medicine. So if you get 555 points in the LC, it'll be worth 551 for medicine. If you get 600 points it'll be worth 560.

The points you get in your HPAT, out of a maximum of 300, is added directly to your Leaving Cert points.

So if you get 180 in the HPAT, and 560 points in the Leaving Cert, the Leaving Cert points will be worth 552.

552 + 180 = 732 points.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

smallholl wrote:
    Enough with the bickering, please.

And yes, textspeak is not welcome on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

I've been going through the sample test while timing myself. I've been getting about 200/300 in them (slightly inflated results for various reasons).

Anyway say I were to actually get 200 points in the real thing, the way the test is graded it could end up been 180 or 220 depending on how all the applicants did. Is that correct?

Thanks.

Jaafa wrote: »
    I've been going through the sample test while timing myself. I've been getting about 200/300 in them (slightly inflated results for various reasons).

Anyway say I were to actually get 200 points in the real thing, the way the test is graded it could end up been 180 or 220 depending on how all the applicants did. Is that correct?

Thanks.

Yes. One right answer does not correspond to 1 point. The marking is weighted, but the system has never been confirmed afaik. The way its presumed to be is that a question that a large percentage get right is only worth very little, and a question which is only answered right by a few people gets them more marks.

Each section is out of 100 but its not percentage either.

I see...so a theres a fair bit of luck involved....if only there was a way to dum down the opposition.....any chance of a medical version of Big Brother coming to the small screen? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Jaafa wrote: »
    I see...so a theres a fair bit of luck involved....if only there was a way to dum down the opposition.....
    Gas mask and a couple of stink bombs :p

Noted. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 m.conn13

These Prep courses arent worth the money you spend on em cos to be perfectly honest the questions they give you in these courses are NOTHING like the actual HPAT. Your best bet is to go over the ACER practise test a few times because that is what the actual HPAT is like. My attitude is, you either have the aptitude to do Med round one or you don't. It's hard but its the truth. I know a load of people who did these type of courses (including myself) and were aceing these tests in the class then totally bombed the HPAT because we were overconfident or feeling like this was gonna be easy. Just stick with the ACER stuff. It's your best shot. If not try the GAMSAT in 4 years time :) Good luck!

God that was one large rant but I feel ripped off by €400 for a prep course :P Just dont want other people to make the mistake of wasting money on them when they arent necessary :)

maybe you just picked a bad prep course the one i did had questions exactly lik the hpat in fact one or two even were the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ultimatehero

m.conn13 wrote: »
    maybe you just picked a bad prep course the one i did had questions exactly lik the hpat in fact one or two even were the same...

What prep course did you do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 m.conn13

med entry distance package i found it pretty good an i know others did too..where did you do your course...

Advertisement