Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

How much study should i do now in 5th year if i want get enough points for medicine??
    Also, is 570 the least amount of points you need to do medicine?
    Any advice??:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Nobody can answer that 'how much should I study' question. Keep up with your work and study for your tests in 5th year and you should be fine.

You need 480 points to medicine, on top of doing the HPAT. Realistically I'd say very few people who get 480 get into the course. Your points will be added to your HPAT score to give an overall total. A good LC won't guarantee you medicine though- you'll need to do well in the HPAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

You need to achieve at the 515 points to be competitive (Although 480 is the theoretical minimum) and to top that you need an excellent HPAT. A 600 points LC and a poor HPAT will not get you in to Medicine. A relatively poor LC (Lets say 515 points) and a great HPAT however can get you in to medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

A relatively poor LC (Lets say 515 points) and a great HPAT however can get you in to medicine.

:eek:

Ciaramb92 wrote: »
    :eek:
    :D We're talking medicine here ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

:D We're talking medicine here ;)

:rolleyes: Suppose.. Still doesn't sound right though..! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Depends how much natural ability you have, if you have a natural talent for learning then you could do it with an average level of studying. The HPAT however is the real deciding factor because people who get 600 points might have a ****e HPAT and not get into medicine.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Teutorix wrote: »
    Depends how much natural ability you have, if you have a natural talent for learning then you could do it with an average level of studying. The HPAT however is the real deciding factor because people who get 600 points might have a ****e HPAT and not get into medicine.
    LC results are capped at 560 for Med anyway ... your basic point is correct though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

LC results are capped at 560 for Med anyway ... your basic point is correct though.
    Oh yeah, forgot that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

If you get 550 you're only 10 points behind the people that get 600, you're giving yourself the best chance by getting from 550 up. The HPAT really is the deciding factor though. The lowest LC I know of in my class is around 520, with a HPAT of over 190 (94th-ish percentile).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

And the points are a bit of a langer anyway like, sure they could easilty pop up another 10 points or so this year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

Teutorix wrote: »

Does anyone know what the normal amount of HPAT points required was? :)

Does anyone know what the normal amount of HPAT points required was? :)

With a leaving cert of 600 you would have needed at the very least 160 this year, which is in and around the 60th percentile (I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Lads.

Did shít in my first HPAT practice. Ran outta time about 25 questions into Section 1, and half-way through section 3. I got most of my section 1 answers right, but that's barely over 50%. Section 3 was an epic fail, only got 9 right. Section 2 was the best section, I finished it and only got 8 wrong.

Should I be worried, or is it common for people to run out of time on their first run... I never realised how strict you have to be with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

jumpguy wrote: »
    Lads.

Did shít in my first HPAT practice. Ran outta time about 25 questions into Section 1, and half-way through section 3. I got most of my section 1 answers right, but that's barely over 50%. Section 3 was an epic fail, only got 9 right. Section 2 was the best section, I finished it and only got 8 wrong.

Should I be worried, or is it common for people to run out of time on their first run... I never realised how strict you have to be with it...
    I finished my first and only practice test early, then ran out of time in the real two I did:rolleyes: Just practice and you'll improve!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dtfo

jumpguy wrote: »
    Lads.

Just done it myself today. Found that the time I went over on section 1 was easily made up in section 2 - spent 15 mins too much on 1 but only took 20 mins on 2.

I suppose its best to weight it so you spend more time on the section that troubles you

dtfo wrote: »
    Just done it myself today. Found that the time I went over on section 1 was easily made up in section 2 - spent 15 mins too much on 1 but only took 20 mins on 2.

I suppose its best to weight it so you spend more time on the section that troubles you
    You don't decide how much time you spend on each section sure. Once you spend the designated 40 minutes or whatever on section A you're not allowed to look at A again.

If you know when you go in the exact time you have for each question its easier to keep control over how long you spend on 1 question. I think you have just over a minute for each one. It is pressurised in the exam, you just have to learn to abandon a tricky one in order to get them all done, instead of wasting time.

Also, not to be the bearer of bad news, but beware of section 2...its a lot harder in the real hpat! I haven't seen the practise books for this year but if the 2009 practise book was anything to go by, there was a huge difference. It ended up as my worst section in the real hpat when it was my best in the practise. Some of it was vocabulary wise, I used to read a lot but there were words in the options that I had never heard of before, which hadn't happened with the practise book.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

dtfo wrote: »

Wait, wait.

I thought you had 65 minutes for ONLY section 1. This means that once the time is up, they take up the section 1 paper and you cannot carry extra time from section 2 and go back and do more section 1. Or can you? If not, I could've gone back and spent that extra 10 minutes going back to section 1!

Can someone clarify?

QueenOfLeon - I got the new practise test, I did the practise test 1 last year (messed up the time limits though - I think. I used extra time I had in sections to do other sections, which I thought you're not allowed do...) and the new practise test definitely has a harder section 2, but it still was suspiciously easy enough, I thought so anyway.

TheOwen - Hopefully my case will be the exact opposite! :pac:

Don't worry lads, not at panic stations yet. I just completely underestimated the importance of time and the difficulty of the HPAT. Need to be more strict with my time per question...

The answer sheet is the exact same, with all 3 columns on it. The test book isn't 3 separate booklets, they're all together, so they don't take it up after each section BUT its made very clear that you can't skip back to section 1 once the time is up for it. You can still put answers onto your answer sheet but you can't flick back to read the question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 educationhelp

Hello all need help im in 6th year repeat....
    i want to know something i heard as a rumor...
    1.you cant do medicine in the uk if you repeat the leaving cert is this true???
    2.I DID NOT DO CHEMISTRY THE FIRST TIME OF THE LEAVING WILL I GET CONDITIONAL ADMISSION BECAUSE OF THIS IN THE UK???

I HAVE DONE THE UKCAT TESTS AND APPLIED THROUGH UCAS ETC...

PLEASE REPLY

It depends on where you apply. A lot of UK unis don't accept repeats and almost all of them require chemistry.

It depends on where you apply. A lot of UK unis don't accept repeats and almost all of them require chemistry.
    I was under the impression you could leave out the fact that you're a repeat?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 educationhelp

i do chemistry now but i am a repeat can i leave out the fact im repeating as theowen said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 samehere

Is anyone considering doing the med entry hpat course to prepare for the HPAT?

I am going to do it but would rather if another could enrole with me, saving 40% of the fee each!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭doctorg

samehere wrote: »
    Is anyone considering doing the med entry hpat course to prepare for the HPAT?

I am going to do it but would rather if another could enrole with me, saving 40% of the fee each!

Hey I am thinking to that course aswell but I hear that they are a scam??
    If not then I can definitely enrole with you.!

Are there anyother courses??

i think this is the only option for me so i've to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭doctorg

samehere wrote: »
    i think this is the only option for me so i've to do it

oh, I think I might enrole with you to get that 40% discount :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Just wondering. Say you get to the last few seconds of the HPAT with questions left to do. If you just randomly filled in answers without looking at them would the ones you get wrong bring down your score? Or is it simply the amount of questions you get right get counted up?

• Advertisement

doctorg wrote: »
    oh, I think I might enrole with you to get that 40% discount :rolleyes:
    then quickly make ur mind up and pm me as i've already formed a little group and you can join it if you want to do it . hurry!!!:P

Advertisement