Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 carab906

doctorg wrote: »
    Hey Where abouts is this happening I would be interested to go!
    Thanks

hey i live in galway do you live nearby? i need to find someone to do it with me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭doctorg

carab906 wrote: »
    hey i live in galway do you live nearby? i need to find someone to do it with me!!!

nah i don't i will be going its way to far away!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Pineapple123

Really, really sorry to be asking this, because I'd say it's been answered, but there's so many threads and whatnot on this, it'd just be easier to ask quickly here...so the question:

I did my LC last year, and didn't get Med...if I repeat the HPAT, am I allowed to carry my Leaving Cert Points from last year, and add them to this years HPAT results and see if I do better than my last attempt??! In otherwords, repeat the HPAT and not the Leaving?!

Thanks a mil for your help, and sorry again if this has been answered!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mentallylc2011

Really, really sorry to be asking this, because I'd say it's been answered, but there's so many threads and whatnot on this, it'd just be easier to ask quickly here...so the question:

I did my LC last year, and didn't get Med...if I repeat the HPAT, am I allowed to carry my Leaving Cert Points from last year, and add them to this years HPAT results and see if I do better than my last attempt??! In otherwords, repeat the HPAT and not the Leaving?!

Yes you can :)
    If someone gets 550 or over and doesn't get in, Id say most would not bother repeating the LC and just repeat the HPAT, but my advice would be, if anyone gets lower than 550, they're better of doing the LC again too just in case!
    Good luck to you, hope you get med.. practice and practice for the HPAT! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Evaa

I'm really sorry but you can't do it!! "achieving a minimum of 480 points and meeting the minimum entry requirements for the programme in the same sitting of the Irish Leaving Certificate Examination (or equivalent*)". This information is given on this website : http://www2.cao.ie/downloads/documents/2011UG********.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Evaa wrote: »
    I'm really sorry but you can't do it!! "achieving a minimum of 480 points and meeting the minimum entry requirements for the programme in the same sitting of the Irish Leaving Certificate Examination (or equivalent*)". This information is given on this website : http://www2.cao.ie/downloads/documents/2011UG********.pdf

I don't think that applies to the HPAT. What they mean with that is they were tired of people getting 600 points on subjects like geography (sorry geography) repeating to get entrance requirements like the c3 or whatever in maths. Now you have to get the c3 and the points in one go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Minimum entry requirements are talking about the college (eg C3 in English, Irish, Maths, Science) and not the HPAT. A lot of people who went into med this year took the year out to repeat the HPAT and carried forward their leaving cert of 2009 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Quick question. You dont need Higher level Irish for medicine do you?

Jaafa wrote: »
    Quick question. You dont need Higher level Irish for medicine do you?

Nope. Check www.qualifax.ie for the entry requirements for each college.

Nope. Check www.qualifax.ie for the entry requirements for each college.

Thanks. Yeah thought so, was making sure. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Doing pass Irish as well and don't regret it all tbh. Virtually ignoring Irish leaves me with heaps more time for my other HL subjects. Feckin' Irish.

jumpguy wrote: »
    Doing pass Irish as well and don't regret it all tbh. Virtually ignoring Irish leaves me with heaps more time for my other HL subjects. Feckin' Irish.

My sentiments exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

What kind of marks do you have to be getting in class tests at HL to be in with a chance for medicine? I've been told for Trinity you basically need 600 points, but that can't be right :(

What kind of marks do you have to be getting in class tests at HL to be in with a chance for medicine? I've been told for Trinity you basically need 600 points, but that can't be right :(

You mean in your Christmas tests and stuff? They're nothing on the Leaving Cert....you've got plenty of time to get work done :) Class tests are really just to show you where you need to put in the study and give you some idea of the subjects you're not doing the best in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

There's not that many with 600 really. I'd say 560 minimum. With regards to christmas tests etc, I was wayyyy behind this time last year. Just work hard and you'll be grand. You'd be surprised how much you can get done over the two weeks at Xmas, Easter and pre-exams. That's 6 weeks of pure study!:P (maybe a few days off for Xmas).

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

How many med schools are there in Britain.And if so how do you get into them and what do you require?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Mr.Fun wrote: »
    How many med schools are there in Britain.And if so how do you get into them and what do you require?
    Around 15. Far too late to apply now, the applications for 2011 closed more than five weeks ago. You were supposed to apply through UCAS.

As for requirements the general consensus is AAAAAB-AAAAAA with Biology and Chemistry. That's not exactly the hard part however as plenty of UK home applicants and applicants from abroad exceed the academic requirements. The biggest differentiating feature of your application is your personal statement, reference and if required your UKCAT/BMAT score.

Hey guys, I'm looking for someone to join me on a Med-Entry workshops <hpat preparation>so that we can both benefit from major discounts. It's quite expensive but with a group, the price almost halfs (€350). Is anybody interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

Around 15. Far too late to apply now, the applications for 2011 closed more than five weeks ago. You were supposed to apply through UCAS.

As for requirements the general consensus is AAAAAB-AAAAAA with Biology and Chemistry. That's not exactly the hard part however as plenty of UK home applicants and applicants from abroad exceed the academic requirements. The biggest differentiating feature of your application is your personal statement, reference and if required your UKCAT/BMAT score.
    thank you for the info

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Hey guys, I'm looking for someone to join me on a Med-Entry workshops <hpat preparation>so that we can both benefit from major discounts. It's quite expensive but with a group, the price almost halfs (€350). Is anybody interested?
    Yes, we know.

This is your third time posting the same thing on this thread.

A more cynical person than I would suspect you of shilling for them.

Whether or not, do not post this message again.

• Advertisement

Yes, we know.

This is your third time posting the same thing on this thread.

A more cynical person than I would suspect you of shilling for them.

Whether or not, do not post this message again.

Thanks for your kind reply ;] No one is forcing u to read my posts.To be honest you cannot count as it's my 2nd time posting the same thing on this thread.No one is forcing u to read my posts and I really don't care what u think of them ;] It's simply not your business!! ;/

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Thanks for your kind reply ;] No one is forcing u to read my posts.To be honest you cannot count as it's my 2nd time posting the same thing on this thread. No one is forcing u to read my posts and I really don't care what u think of them ;] It's simply not your business!! ;/
    You're right, strictly speaking, your third posting of the same message (out of six posts) was on the NUI Galway Medicine thread when I re-check.

After that, however, your accuracy deserts you. It most certainly is my business, as I happen to be one of the moderators of this forum. A glance under my username or at the bottom of the forum would acquaint you with that fact.

And I really don't care whether you care what I think of your posts or not; you *will* however follow moderator instructions if you wish to continue to post here. :)

/End of discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gericool

carab906 wrote: »
    are you talking about the Med-Entry one? if not is there anyone in galway who wants to do the med-entry one as i need to do it with a group to get the price down, alot of people have been telling me its the best one!!

Yep, am defo interested in signing up for Med entry one if you are talking about Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Since 600 gets adjusted to 560 there really isn't much of a difference between 600 and 550.If you get 550 and do a good Hpat then you're in with a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 samehere

Hey guys!
    Just wanted to tell you all that I did the Institute HPAT prep course which I got for free because I was student there and can i just say it was...THE BIGGEST WASTE OF TIME!!!! Ok the guy is doing med and all and did brilliantly but he doesnt know how to teach he just doesnt have that skill.You might aswell stay at home and watch masterchef than go all the way to town just to get disappointed and more confused :eek::eek::eek:! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 carab906

gericool wrote: »
    Yep, am defo interested in signing up for Med entry one if you are talking about Galway!

Brilliant!! my email is carab906@yahoo.com contact me asap and we can figure something out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

To give this thread a break from the frantic HPAT-buddy looker people (muhaha, I found mine, still 350€...hollow victory), anyone else worried they're doing ridiculously little study for a person who's meant to be going for med? Cauuuse I swear...I think I did more last year than I'm doing now.

Oh well, time will tell with the Christmas tests I suppose...

jumpguy wrote: »
    To give this thread a break from the frantic HPAT-buddy looker people (muhaha, I found mine, still 350€...hollow victory), anyone else worried they're doing ridiculously little study for a person who's meant to be going for med? Cauuuse I swear...I think I did more last year than I'm doing now.

Oh well, time will tell with the Christmas tests I suppose...

This feckin snow has messed things up for me more than anything.

But in response to your original point I think perhaps we are getting used to the amount of study we are doing. So as a result it seems like less compared to last year. I know for sure If in 2/3rd I saw how much study I'm doing now I wouldnt believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

I really doubt I'm doing the amount of study I need to be doing. I've always coasted and then crammed furiously for tests. Its never failed me so far but it's the complete wrong way to be going about things. Being off for 2 weeks with the snow hasn't helped either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 waterlilly824

I would to join can you answer me asap places are filling very quickly butter824@yahoo.com

Advertisement