Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Comments

• I assumed the number on your passport or driver's license, but maybe you should contact them to confirm :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

I know this got moved into the careers section last year, but seeing as the forum is getting littered with random threads about the HPAT it might be time to consolidate it all in one thread again.....

Sure I'll be having another go at it this year..., after some better preparation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

These Prep courses arent worth the money you spend on em cos to be perfectly honest the questions they give you in these courses are NOTHING like the actual HPAT. Your best bet is to go over the ACER practise test a few times because that is what the actual HPAT is like. My attitude is, you either have the aptitude to do Med round one or you don't. It's hard but its the truth. I know a load of people who did these type of courses (including myself) and were aceing these tests in the class then totally bombed the HPAT because we were overconfident or feeling like this was gonna be easy. Just stick with the ACER stuff. It's your best shot. If not try the GAMSAT in 4 years time :) Good luck!

God that was one large rant but I feel ripped off by €400 for a prep course :P Just dont want other people to make the mistake of wasting money on them when they arent necessary :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

Well I have a couple friends who incresed 20 to 30 points after doing ****. So I'm going to give that a go.

Are you just repeating the HPAT ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Calum196 wrote: »
    Well I have a couple friends who incresed 20 to 30 points after doing ****. So I'm going to give that a go.

Are you just repeating the HPAT ?

May have just been the fact that they repeated the hpat as it seems a lot of people who did it for the 2nd time (with or without prep course) brought their score up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

What are peoples' opinions on the points next year? Up, down, anything? I guess thats the burning question really... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

May have just been the fact that they repeated the hpat as it seems a lot of people who did it for the 2nd time (with or without prep course) brought their score up.
    I think I was the only person to go down...

theowen wrote: »
    I think I was the only person to go down...

But you got in, doesn't matter! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Solus01

What do people think the points will be like for medicine next year? Up or Down?

Its hard to see them going up yet again.. I mean you'd be talking 600 LC points and 80th percentile then like... :( Of course, loooads of people said it couldnt go up this year, and it did, so I dunno!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Original_Name

I just don't think it's possible that the points will go up again this year. I think this year will be around the peak of entry points for medicine!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Its hard to see them going up yet again.. I mean you'd be talking 600 LC points and 80th percentile then like... :( Of course, loooads of people said it couldnt go up this year, and it did, so I dunno!
    Makes no difference, it's how popular the course is, and medicine is apparently on the up. I'd say the points rising very slightly or staying the same would be a good mixture of realism and optimism.

jumpguy wrote: »
    Makes no difference, it's how popular the course is, and medicine is apparently on the up. I'd say the points rising very slightly or staying the same would be a good mixture of realism and optimism.

Damn... Better get crackin' with the oul HPAT so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

How do ye feel about people moving to schools that have the HEAR programme to get in? I know quite a few who got in on that last year with 540 points and a decent HPAT.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Why would students move schools?

HEAR applies to certain categories of students from any school.

One of the requirements (or option out of list of requirements) is to be in a deis school.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Indeed, it's one "tick", but it's not a mandatory one. AFAIR, only one (the first on the list re: family income) is mandatory. HEAR was confined to certain schools in its early (pilot) years, but not any more, as I understand it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

The HPAT this year is being held Saturday, 26th of February 2011. Registration doesn't open until the 3rd of November 2010 and costs 95 Euro. Test centres are in Cork, Dublin, Sligo, Galway and Waterford (no Limerick! How annoying, I'll probs go to Cork for it...)

There's a second practice booklet coming out late September, the website says little about it, I assume it's just a new entire set of questions that can be bought along with the old practice tests. Hopefully it'll be cheaper, but I wouldn't count on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I'm hoping that TCD and RCSI stay as they were this year or drop (I wish...). Who's going to be doing the UKCAT and applying to UK universities?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

http://www.imt.ie/news/uncategorized/2010/02/question-styles-require-a-different-approach-to-hpat.html

HPAT – Special Report Irish Medical Times has partnered with the Institute of Education to bring you a second week of sample questions from the Institute’s HPAT mock materials

• Advertisement

I'm hoping that TCD and RCSI stay as they were this year or drop (I wish...). Who's going to be doing the UKCAT and applying to UK universities?

I've done the UKCAT already! Working on my personal statement now for my UCAS application. I'm applying for Scottish Universities anyway, the free fees thing is an incentive in case I dont make it here.

I've done the UKCAT already! Working on my personal statement now for my UCAS application. I'm applying for Scottish Universities anyway, the free fees thing is an incentive in case I dont make it here.
    Damn, i'm only gonna be applying tomorrow, shouldn't have left it so late but then again I only began considering the UK a few days ago.

Damn, i'm only gonna be applying tomorrow, shouldn't have left it so late but then again I only began considering the UK a few days ago.

I only decided to try it at the end of the summer, but still havnt done much so you'll be fine! :) the hardest thing will be doing the UKCAT in time, although if you're applying to Cambridge or Oxford, you've to do the BMAT instead, which is on the 3rd November I think, so you'd have time to book and do that anyway :)

I thought of that and I really would have loved to go to Cambridge but the BMAT is just much too difficult for me at the moment. Looking at the practice papers you need a solid grounding in Bio/Chem/Phys. I'm fine for Chemistry and Biology but haven't done physics since JC. Most of the maths on the BMAT we still haven't covered (Probability for one prominent example). Then again I wouldn't want to go to Cambridge anyway seeing as it needs six A1s and a solid UCAS application and i'd much prefer going to TCD rather than anything else. I'm keeping my UCAS options purely as a standby.

Oh I see. I just ran out of courses on the UCAS form, so I decided against Cambridge, although I would have liked the challenge. UCC for me :)

Oh I see. I just ran out of courses on the UCAS form, so I decided against Cambridge, although I would have liked the challenge. UCC for me :)
    You can only put four medical courses on your UCAS though. I'd be putting Pharmacy in all the remaining slots as that's my second general preference course wise.

Yeah I know, I've Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Belfast :) hopefully i wont be needing them :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Splicer

I thought of that and I really would have loved to go to Cambridge but the BMAT is just much too difficult for me at the moment. Looking at the practice papers you need a solid grounding in Bio/Chem/Phys. I'm fine for Chemistry and Biology but haven't done physics since JC. Most of the maths on the BMAT we still haven't covered (Probability for one prominent example). Then again I wouldn't want to go to Cambridge anyway seeing as it needs six A1s and a solid UCAS application and i'd much prefer going to TCD rather than anything else. I'm keeping my UCAS options purely as a standby.

Can I ask something- why are you so set on TCD?

I noticed that points are highest for it consistently.
    There must be a reason why people are so drawn to it, so I am just wondering if you can explain. Thanks

Splicer wrote: »
    Can I ask something- why are you so set on TCD?

I noticed that points are highest for it consistently.
    There must be a reason why people are so drawn to it, so I am just wondering if you can explain. Thanks
    Most people are drawn in on the supposed "prestige" of Trinity. Personally I really amn't that bothered about prestige. I just want TCD because my home is about five seconds away from the 37 bus which just so happens to have a stop directly outside TCD :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Most people are drawn in on the supposed "prestige" of Trinity. Personally I really amn't that bothered about prestige. I just want TCD because my home is about five seconds away from the 37 bus which just so happens to have a stop directly outside TCD :pac:
    As good a reason as I've heard!

Advertisement