Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    Just wondering. Say you get to the last few seconds of the HPAT with questions left to do. If you just randomly filled in answers without looking at them would the ones you get wrong bring down your score? Or is it simply the amount of questions you get right get counted up?

You only get marks for correct answers, and just no marks for wrong ones...theres no negative marking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭doctorg

samehere wrote: »
    then quickly make ur mind up and pm me as i've already formed a little group and you can join it if you want to do it . hurry!!!:P

I am just not too sure I hear its just a biiiiig scam.
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1532048 read all the reviews!

Has anyone here done any course which they found useful??

samehere wrote: »
    then quickly make ur mind up and pm me as i've already formed a little group and you can join it if you want to do it . hurry!!!:P

I made up my Mind I will do the course with you! But I might be able to get a scholarship( get someone from the school as why you should get one). If I don;t get one then I will pay!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sparagon

How many people here want medicine?
    Many repeats?
    What's your first choice of college?
    What are you aiming for in LC and HPAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Hopefully 580 or 590 in LC and as high as possible in HPAT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

currently have 560 and hoping for 300 in the Hpat!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Aiming for a 550 LC and a high HPAT. TCD/RCSI Medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sparagon

I don't know if dynamot is being sarcastic or not with 300 in HPAT?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Aiming for as high as possible in everything, 560 points minimum plus good HPAT. Hopefully I'll get into Trinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

Thinking about it.. Completely confused though!

Aiming for 535 LC and 200 HPAT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

I was just wondering if anybody knows if I am eligible to sit the HPAT again. I sat it in 2009, and fell just below the 70th percentile. I was 8 points from gaining entry into the Medicine course I wanted. I then went on to do Psychology in UCD, and I adore the subject. I'm in my second year now, and I keep feeling that I would like to repeat the HPAT, not for any specific goal to get into Medicine, infact I doubt I would like to be a doctor of medicine anymore,even though I have the points, plus I get great grades across the board in Psychology. I have also gained a good insight into this type of psychometric testing, and critical thinking which should be useful. But I hate to let anything beat me, which is why I want to sit it again.
    So am I eligible to sit the HPAT, this year or next year as a matter of interest :)
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Musefan wrote: »
    I was just wondering if anybody knows if I am eligible to sit the HPAT again. I sat it in 2009, and fell just below the 70th percentile. I was 8 points from gaining entry into the Medicine course I wanted. I then went on to do Psychology in UCD, and I adore the subject. I'm in my second year now, and I keep feeling that I would like to repeat the HPAT, not for any specific goal to get into Medicine, infact I doubt I would like to be a doctor of medicine anymore,even though I have the points, plus I get great grades across the board in Psychology. I have also gained a good insight into this type of psychometric testing, and critical thinking which should be useful. But I hate to let anything beat me, which is why I want to sit it again.
    So am I eligible to sit the HPAT, this year or next year as a matter of interest :)
    Thank you.
    Can I have €95 please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Ciaramb92 wrote: »
    Thinking about it.. Completely confused though!

Aiming for 535 LC and 200 HPAT
    K-razy. You can't just aim to get in the top 1% in a test taken by "Ireland's brightest". Be realistic; you'd need 550+ really.

Pretty ridiculous to "aim" for something in the HPAT, sure wouldn't everyone be aiming for the 100th percentile :rolleyes: Its not something you can predict how well you'll do in. As for getting 300, its not going to happen. The 100th percentile both years so far has been around 220 afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 maire66

i got 560 in the LC and im repeating the HPAT this year hoping to go to NUIG!

with regard to "aiming" for something in the HPAT it cant really be done!! last year i was aiming for 80-85th percentile and i was well below that!!

one piece of advice dont get a head cold before the HPAT and if there is an air conditioner blowing cold air on u before the exam starts tell them to turn it off because it will annoy u even if u think it wont!!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

Hi does anyone have a Med Entry group I could join to get the discount or does anyone want to start a group with me please?:o

Hi does anyone have a Med Entry group I could join to get the discount or does anyone want to start a group with me please?:o

Hey I would love to be in a group with you.! I really want to start practicing over the mid term. The last person who I was asking isn't so great at replying!

How much is the course when you after the group discount?

How much is the course when you after the group discount?

Its 570 on your own and 350 in a group of 2 or more

doctorg wrote: »

Oh...my...God....:eek: :eek:

• Advertisement

Scary thing is it'll be sold out...

I thought they were thinking of scrapping the HPAT anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Charging that much should be illegal.
    theowen wrote: »
    Scary thing is it'll be sold out...
    People will do almost anything to get medicine
    theowen wrote: »

I thought they were thinking of scrapping the HPAT anyway?
    They might as well because everyone is studying for it anyway so it kind of defeats the purpose of the exam.

I wish they'd interview people instead of the HPAT. So much more effective at weeding out people who want Medicine for the wrong reasons.

I wish they'd interview people instead of the HPAT. So much more effective at weeding out people who want Medicine for the wrong reasons.

It's probably been considered, but then you're getting rid of the anonymity and this works in favour for a lot of people...nepotism and all that. Plus then you'd have prep courses on what to do to look like you really want to do medicine, interviewing skills, etc etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

It's probably been considered, but then you're getting rid of the anonymity and this works in favour for a lot of people...nepotism and all that. Plus then you'd have prep courses on what to do to look like you really want to do medicine, interviewing skills, etc etc...

But surely if they established an interview board, with five people say, conducting interviews for all the colleges and scoring them would not support the nepotism argument?

But surely if they established an interview board, with five people say, conducting interviews for all the colleges and scoring them would not support the nepotism argument?

I don't know a lot about it really but back when the HPAT was being introduced I remember it being debated in the papers about whether or not interviews would work, and that was one of the arguments against it.

* I need someone to be my partner for the med entry course*

I would really appreciate if anyone can help me out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Evaa

Hi everyone! I'm looking for a person who can buy with me a platinum preparation package ( online resources + 2 day workshop) as there's a huge group Discount - €350 for this package instead for paying €570 for the same thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

Hey my name is Alan

Im currently in 5th year and I got on well in my junior cert(5as and 6bs)

I really really want to do medicine after school.
    I would like some advice on how to tackle 5th year in the best way so Im well prepared for the l.c and to get into a medicine course

I am fully aware of the entry requirements and the current colleges for medicine

ANY ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.THANK YOU!

• Advertisement

Mr.Fun wrote: »
    Hey my name is Alan

Im currently in 5th year and I got on well in my junior cert(5as and 6bs)

I really really want to do medicine after school.
    I would like some advice on how to tackle 5th year in the best way so Im well prepared for the l.c and to get into a medicine course

I am fully aware of the entry requirements and the current colleges for medicine

ANY ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.THANK YOU!
    Studying from now would help greatly.

Advertisement