Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ultimatehero

m.conn13 wrote: »
    med entry distance package i found it pretty good an i know others did too..where did you do your course...

I havent done a course yet im just trying to suss out the options. 570 eur for medprep platinum is an awful lot to be shelling out for a course like. the distance package iss 270euro - did you find it that good? do you know is there a whole lot of difference between that and the platinum package? how did the hpat go for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 m.conn13

I havent done a course yet im just trying to suss out the options. 570 eur for medprep platinum is an awful lot to be shelling out for a course like. the distance package iss 270euro - did you find it that good? do you know is there a whole lot of difference between that and the platinum package? how did the hpat go for you?

the platinum is the same online stuff as the distance but it includes a weekend course too which I hear is pretty good as they give you a full length practice test in exam conditions but I found the distance great as you can do it in your own time ya dont have to go somewhere once a week for the course or anything.
    there are pretty good group discounts too.
    I found it good as it helps with timing etc and I personally prefer to have some prep for an exam some people do well without any course I guess it just depends how you feel about it.
    I got 208 in mine so I was delighted in first med this year so couldnt be happier.
    hope this helps........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Anyone know any books of puzzles like the HPAT (even just the visual pattern-y ones if not the other bits) that you can buy? I know about the sample tests but wondering if a book has been published to do more practice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

m.conn13 wrote: »
    maybe you just picked a bad prep course the one i did had questions exactly lik the hpat in fact one or two even were the same...

Uh huh. No prep course has access to the HPAT exam. Doubt that a lot tbh...
    Anyone know any books of puzzles like the HPAT (even just the visual pattern-y ones if not the other bits) that you can buy? I know about the sample tests but wondering if a book has been published to do more practice?

I don't know of any, but some IQ tests have questions like section 3, maybe you could look for something like that or just do some IQ tests online?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

I think you can get Psychometric Puzzle books, which'd help for section 3 I guess.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 m.conn13

Uh huh. No prep course has access to the HPAT exam. Doubt that a lot tbh...

Have you attended any prep course that you can say that I have and 2 of the questions covered actually appeared on the test so doubt all you want but the med entry questions are very similar and two were the same so unless you did the course how can you say they dont have similar questions...also ACER tend to repeat paragraphs and just ask different questions there was a paragraph in section 2 this year that appeared the year before and just asked different questions this year which is probably why its possible to have similar ones for the course...

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Orange juice

Hey, I bought a book on easons.ie, Ultimate Pyscomentric Tests by Mike Byron. Personally i think it's very good, it covers more than you need to know for the HPAT but it is very helpful for practicing. http://www.eason.ie/look/9780749453084/Ultimate-Psychometric-Tests/Mike-Bryon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Cloee

Hey, so I'm doing the leaving, and I'm not sure I'm going to get the points to do medicine. Would I be better off applying for the UK? I have no idea what their system is like. Anyone care to enlighten me? thanks :)

Think I'll have to try and budget for around 735 points... Yeah Im an optimist :D

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

You're too late for the UK unfortunately... that was the 15th of October I think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joeyjoejoe83

Yeah closing date was 15th Oct, have you done any work experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Can't believe its been 2 years since I applied for the HPAT. Seriously. I feel like I've just stopped studying for the LC :eek:

There was a point to this...don't forget to apply! If you're going for the smaller regional centres especially as they'll fill up easily and you might have an extra few hours travel to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 k.stewart

hey guys!:)

section 1 of the hpat is killing me, I only have the practice test 2 and found it quite hard :/ anyone else in the same boat?

Anybody know how to bring up the score in section 1? I've bought psychometric test books for section 3 already.
    Any idea what kind of books with similar problem questions in it??

I really want to get a lot of practice in doing similar questions before the exam, and not willing to pay 500 bucks for a prep course :P everyone seems to be saying that they're a waste of money, and that it's practice that makes the difference anyhoos.

Any advice at all would be very welcome!
    and good luck to anyone sitting it this year :)
    Thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I've heard that listening to the skeptics guide to the universe is good for section 1 (could be totally untrue, worth a shot, its an interesting podcast anyways) because section 1 is all about finding fallacies in an argument. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sazymc89

Hey guys, I'm looking for someone (as many as 4 - at least one person) to join me on a Hpat workshop so that we can both benefit from major discounts. It's been recommended to me by a guy who just aced the Hpat this year 2010. It's quite expensive but with a group, the price almost halfs - Is anybody interested? (You need to get back to me quickly as places are filling up!) - Sarah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Cloee

Yeah closing date was 15th Oct, have you done any work experience?

crap.
    well my second choice is veterinary medicine and I've been working at the DSPCA for the past year, so I have plenty of experience with that. thanks though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ultimatehero

sazymc89 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm looking for someone (as many as 4 - at least one person) to join me on a Hpat workshop so that we can both benefit from major discounts. It's been recommended to me by a guy who just aced the Hpat this year 2010. It's quite expensive but with a group, the price almost halfs - Is anybody interested? (You need to get back to me quickly as places are filling up!) - Sarah

Sarah

is it the ******** course? i would def be interested. i dont know how we can organise it tho? cold you please PM me or something? where you from? im from cork? its only 350 with the group discount like. its supposed to be a really decent course.
    Michael

I've heard that listening to the skeptics guide to the universe is good for section 1 (could be totally untrue, worth a shot, its an interesting podcast anyways) because section 1 is all about finding fallacies in an argument. :)

great :) I'll download it and see if it helps,

k.stewart wrote: »
    great :) I'll download it and see if it helps,

I'm on itunes now, and I've just found a podcast on critical thinking called "The Critical Thinker" by Kevin deLaplante.

Just incase anyone else is interested in this kinda stuff :)

What workshop is it? it sounds wonderfully vague :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sazymc89

Hey Michael, yeah it's that course! That's brilliant, we can def organise something! I'm gonna pm u now so... :)

Sarah

is it the ******** course? i would def be interested. i dont know how we can organise it tho? cold you please PM me or something? where you from? im from cork? its only 350 with the group discount like. its supposed to be a really decent course.
    Michael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 roshii

I'd also be interested!! New to boards so unsure how to pm people, but you can email me at babicakez@gmail.com!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Anybody apply to the CAO yet and sign up for the HPAT? I think I'm gonna get started on it soon, gotta wait for my school to get the number though. :rolleyes: Also I'm still not sure if I'll go to Cork or Galway or what my second choice will be. Ughhhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

jumpguy wrote: »
    Anybody apply to the CAO yet and sign up for the HPAT? I think I'm gonna get started on it soon, gotta wait for my school to get the number though. :rolleyes: Also I'm still not sure if I'll go to Cork or Galway or what my second choice will be. Ughhhh!

Yeah signed up for CAO...they give ya a number when you sign up to it.

Personally I think they're both good so just pick whichever is closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 carab906

are you talking about the Med-Entry one? if not is there anyone in galway who wants to do the med-entry one as i need to do it with a group to get the price down, alot of people have been telling me its the best one!!

jumpguy wrote: »

yup I've registered for both :) You don't have to wait for your school.. the CAO site gives you the number once you register :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 carab906

I would be interested!!! where do you live??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Details here.

Seems to be organised by or at least in collaboration with USI.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭doctorg

Details here.

Seems to be organised by or at least in collaboration with USI.
    Hey Where abouts is this happening I would be interested to go!
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

doctorg wrote: »
    Hey Where abouts is this happening I would be interested to go!
    Thanks
    I know no more than what is given in the link, but it seems to suggest Dawson Street (very bottom of piece).

I am sure if you email them at the email given, they will confirm for you.

Advertisement