Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

*heads off to the politics forum for a row with some left wing nutjob*...

Won't have much trouble finding them there, Jon boy.;)

Kip is infested with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I agree with this guy completely.. Why are we borrowing money at almost 6% to give to foreign aid... And reducing payments to the disabled and blind... really is a skewed view of moral justice... We should be looking after our own first..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

I agree with this guy completely.. Why are we borrowing money at almost 6% to give to foreign aid... And reducing payments to the disabled and blind... really is a skewed view of moral justice... We should be looking after our own first..

€636 million spent on overseas aid by a country in receipt of overseas aid.

The ironing is delicious.

What is this priest on about.. a lad goes away on a golf holiday, has sex with a 15/16 year old girl, and this supposedly leads him to then come back and start abusing his own daughter.. wtf???. I think he'd be better of getting his own shop in order before going after the sex tourists..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I only caught the last 10 min of this...at least they've copped on WRT cigarette price increase V contraband...if anything they should have reduced it but that wouldn't have floated with the nannies.

Did anyone ask him about his continuation of the car scrappage? I fail to see how encouraging spending on luxury imported goods (which you get a reduced VRT income from) and encouraging further borrowing to facillitate the spend helps this economy in anyway. I undertsand the car sales industry is fecked, but this is backward logic IMO...how about some incentives to keep older cars on the road through repair and maintenance.

On topic: I thought Lenihan came across well....I find it hard to dislike the man after all the half-lies he's told. Perhaps if we'd had him instead of "I'll spend it when I have" it Mc Creevy we mightn't have gotten as far into the mess we're in...

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote: »
    I only caught the last 10 min of this...at least they've copped on WRT cigarette price increase V contraband...

He's effectively admitted, on behalf of the guards and customs, that blocking contraband is something that they are not capable of doing.. I think taxing petrol/diesel for small businesses at this stage is ridiculous.. I think now is the time when they should be nurturing and helping people who are trying to run small businesses and put money IN to the Exchequer, as opposed to helping those who are pulling money OUT of the Exchequer (i.e. public services, dole etc etc)..

They reduced the dole by 5%, a couple of weeks after they reduce the minimum wage by ~11.5%.. how does this encourage people to go back to work?
    Did anyone ask him about his continuation of the car scrappage? I fail to see how encouraging spending on luxury imported goods (which you get a reduced VRT income from)

Yeah, I heard a guy last night saying that the only people who benefit really from this are i) the (relatively) few people who work in the car sales industry but mainly ii) the Japanese, German companies that produce the cars..
    On topic: I thought Lenihan came across well....I find it hard to dislike the man after all the half-lies he's told.

He was certainly given a poison chalice, but he was NOT well enough equipped or experienced enough to deal with the issues that he was confronted with... Because of this, we pay a fortune for advisors to advise him, and nobody becomes accountable (as they point the finger at each other)... On a personal level however, I think he is a decent man..

They reduced the dole by 5%, a couple of weeks after they reduce the minimum wage by ~11.5%.. how does this encourage people to go back to work?

yeah I really don't follow this at all and I'm someone that can see the argument for min wage needing to come down, but dole rates that fell by less simply creates less incentive for those that can find low paid work to take it up...how does this get anyone back to work (assuming there is work to go back to) ? The bigger costs to small business are still there...havne't been touched...reducing the cost to an employer by €39 a week isn't really going to encourage many small employers to take on more staff.
    meh this probably isn't the place for these discussions.

He was certainly given a poison chalice, but he was NOT well enough equipped or experienced enough to deal with the issues that he was confronted with... Because of this, we pay a fortune for advisors to advise him, and nobody becomes accountable (as they point the finger at each other)... On a personal level however, I think he is a decent man..

I questioned the logic of a solicitor being handed the reins of such an important economic role 2 yrs back (esp after the guarantee) and I agree 100% that the consultant's costs and the buck passing that that allows is wasteful in the extreme.
    I find it hard to warm to him because of the dynastic element of his family's political involvement over the decades (and I can't stand his brother), and I find it hard to stomach some of the half truths he fires off every other week and his refusal to acknowledge past mistakes...but he still comes across well. Surely the sign of a good politician (althouugh not necessarily the type we need or want).

Lots of listener texts referring to the G Ryan cocaine story so I suppose he couldnt ignore it. Pat says all RTE bulletins gave "massive" coverage of the events on Friday.

He says he denies any knowledge of his cocaine problem and didnt want to add to the family's misery. Says the results of the inquest spelt out the dangers more than he could on his programme.

And thats the end of that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

telekon wrote: »
    Lots of listener texts referring to the G Ryan cocaine story so I suppose he couldnt ignore it. Pat says all RTE bulletins gave "massive" coverage of the events on Friday.

He says he denies any knowledge of his cocaine problem and didnt want to add to the family's misery. Says the results of the inquest spelt out the dangers more than he could on his programme.

Heard the same myself- but he actually said: he didnt realise he had a cocaine problem "at the time of his death"

Heard the same myself- but he actually said: he didnt realise he had a cocaine problem "at the time of his death"

Ahh...

after all these years listening to politician's guff, it seems pat has picked up a thing or two about spinning stories himself...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

telekon wrote: »

nice bit of political spin on that one eh ?

no mention that the "massive" coverage DIDNT extend to any of the stations main shows and the bullitins themselves were softly soflty affairs.

you wanted to hear ANYTHING about gerry ryan being a cokehead you had to tune to newstalk or todayFM.

The accusations of RTE circling the horses on this issue are BANG on and if that pisses off pat kenny - TOUGH !

Kenny and guests discussing G Ryan/cocaine now...a lot of the contributions and points are very similar looking to many of the posts on the AH thread (not allegating they've stolen them from there).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Kenny having a debate about the lack of analysis in RTE's coverage of GRyans' inquest today.

Didn't catch the other contributors names but it's no holds barred - being pointed out that RTE and GRyans presenters friends in RTE had virtually no analysis of the inquest except for O Rourke on News at One.

Kenny reiterates he didn't know at the time of his death that he had a problem, he would have helped him but not gone running to the cops.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

gambiaman wrote: »
    Kenny having a debate about the lack of analysis in RTE's coverage of GRyans' inquest today.

Didn't catch the other contributors names but it's no holds barred - being pointed out that RTE and GRyans presenters friends in RTE had virtually no analysis of the inquest except for O Rourke on News at One.

Kenny reiterates he didn't know at the time of his death that he had a problem, he would have helped him but not gone running to the cops.

I believe him, and if I knew of a friend of mine with a drug problem, I would try and help them too. No way would I involve the cops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

if any of ye had a good friend who died in dodgy circumstances, you'd do exactly the same. Did anyone expect Pat, Ryan or Joe to dance on Gerrys grave? really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

tbh wrote: »
    if any of ye had a good friend who died in dodgy circumstances, you'd do exactly the same. Did anyone expect Pat, Ryan or Joe to dance on Gerrys grave? really?

Thats not the issue, Dunphy on Newstalk managed to cover the issue in senstive manner without dancing on anyones grave. The least we can expect our national broadcaster to do is act in professional manner, the professional thing to do was to treat this story as they would any other high profile cocaine related death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

I have had friends who have died in similar circumstances.

Addressing the issues - which Pat et al did not do - does not have to mean "dancing on their grave".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Lapin wrote: »
    I believe him, and if I knew of a friend of mine with a drug problem, I would try and help them too. No way would I involve the cops.

I agree.
    Kenny's defence of not dealing with the headline issue all week was very poor though - it's just not good enough that because he's friends with the subject he ignores it.
    Not good enough!

I thought Kenny's defence was fair enough. I would honestly believe that a) Kenny didnt know that G Ryan had a drug problem and b) he would have done something to help him if he had known... I'm not so sure about Ryan "He was my friend :-( " Tubridy.. I think he MUST have known..

My only argument with Kenny would be that the story was deserving of further coverage, and he should have been part of that..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

I thought Kenny's defence was fair enough. I would honestly believe that a) Kenny didnt know that G Ryan had a drug problem and b) he would have done something to help him if he had known... I'm not so sure about Ryan "He was my friend :-( " Tubridy.. I think he MUST have known..

My only argument with Kenny would be that the story was deserving of further coverage, and he should have been part of that..

Didn't Tubridy start out as Ryan's tea boy? I wonder what other errands Ryan sent him on?

• Advertisement

Poly wrote: »
    Didn't Tubridy start out as Ryan's tea boy? I wonder what other errands Ryan sent him on?

Probably told him it was the new Wonka Everlasting Sherbet....

You are spot on there.

The story is not Pat Kenny and whether he knew or didn't know about Gerry's drug habit. My own view is that Pat may be many things, but I don't think he's a liar.

Nevertheless, he - or maybe his producer - has let himself down badly on this occasion in refusing to let any real discussion take place.

It seems as though whenever any interesting points are made about the sheer hypocrisy of the situation, the shutters on RTE come down and they revert to the following script:

1) Gerry was a great man and a great broadcaster.
    2) Drugs are evil and bad, and Gerry was a victim involved in a brave struggle, etc.
    3) We must think of his family.

It is sickening the way they are pretending to have dealt with the issue.

Dreadful stuff from RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

I take it most of you on here had no personal experience of Gerry Ryan, ie you never met him, had no knowledge of him bar his public image.

I ask you, were you surprised when you heard that cocaine contributed mainly to his death?

delaad wrote: »
    I take it most of you on here had no personal experience of Gerry Ryan, ie you never met him, had no knowledge of him bar his public image.

I'm not a friend or a family member. If they are reading I wish them well.

Does speaking to him on the telephone on a live phone-in count as having "personal experience of him" ?

Does reading his autobiography count as having "knowledge of him bar his public image"?

I would have thought he'd say "yes" on both counts, but I have an open mind on that.
    delaad wrote: »
    I ask you, were you surprised when you heard that cocaine contributed mainly to his death?

As cocaine is rife in the media industry, I wasn't surprised. But I was surprised by length of time it took for the truth to come out and very disappointed by RTE's reaction to it.

Does that answer your question?

I'm not a friend or a family member. If they are reading I wish them well.

Does speaking to him on the telephone on a live phone-in count as having "personal experience of him" ?

Does reading his autobiography count as having "knowledge of him bar his public image"?

I would have thought he'd say "yes" on both counts, but I have an open mind on that.

As cocaine is rife in the media industry, I wasn't surprised. But I was surprised by length of time it took for the truth to come out and very disappointed by RTE's reaction to it.

Does that answer your question?[/QUOTE]

No

[QUOTE=delaad;69622403
    No

Sorry, my friend, I can't be much clearer than that.

[QUOTE=delaad;69622403

Sorry, my friend, I can't be much clearer than that.

I think you could try a little harder!

I didn't know him personally and I wasn't surprised.

What's your point exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I have had friends who have died in similar circumstances.

Addressing the issues - which Pat et al did not do - does not have to mean "dancing on their grave".

ok well imagine the press called round to your place afterwards and asked you to confirm, or comment on, the fact that the friend who had just died had had a life long coke habit? what would your reaction have been?
    for 90% of people, it'd be slamming the door.

• Advertisement

ok well imagine the press called round to your place afterwards and asked you to confirm, or comment on, the fact that the friend who had just died had had a life long coke habit? what would your reaction have been?
    for 90% of people, it'd be slamming the door.

Well, when I say "similar circumstances" I mean death from drugs - but let's say the deceased - call him Bob - and I were big celebs.

PRESS STATEMENT BY DONKEY OATY

Now that the medical report on Bob has been published, there is understandably a media frenzy over his cocaine use.

His habit was something that we all knew about/some of us knew about/I heard rumours about/I didn't know anything about and you can rest assured that as the host of a flagship current affairs show on the nation's public service broadcaster I will discuss these issues properly on the next show.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement