Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Am I listening to Pat Kenny or Sean Moncrieff ?:confused:

EDIT:

Snap Poly !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

oh good lord.. my ears.. this wan sounds like a cat being strung up with piano wire..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

35 good mins of DmcW, then he kicks him out of studio for Marie lousie O' fcukin Donnell to talk about........

you guessed it, SPUDS!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

what the hell is your one waffling on about allotments? god shes an idiot.

Mary Louise's description of the allotment..

mlodinwonderland.jpg

The actual allotment..

big-potato.jpg

• Advertisement

Why didnt they just get Ella to do this stuff.. I like her, and she can give you all the facts without the amateur dramatics.. And she knows her stuff as well, cos she has a genuine interest...

And I kind of think she's cute as well.. :o
    15544_192301755492_44628560492_3552445_7259693_n.jpg?1288828086

Before I set out for work this morning at 7 o clock I had just spent a half a hour Listening to Breakfast on Newstalk with Margret Ward reviewing the headlines from from newspapers around Europe suggesting that Ireland is now within 24 hours of an EU bailout.

I haven't had the chance to get near a radio since, until about 10 minutes ago, so tuinig into RTE radio's flagship current affairs programme I'm glad to see that things aren't so bad after all.

Things can't be that bad if the subjects being covered are tyranasauras shít, the state of toilets and the quality of turnips in allotments.

And there I was thinking the Euro was hitting crisis point. Silly me.

(At least we all know the name of the north Dublin village is The Naul now and not simply Naul.
    So we can all sleep easy tonight.)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Merkel- Interezting programme on ze spud growing in Naul.

Cowen- It's The Naul.

Sarkozy- Le spudz? Naul?

Lenihan- Spuds, Le Naul.

Sarkozy- Le Naul?

Lenihan- Oui.

I liked the segment. Think Pat's gearing up the nation for a few years of collective farming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Lapin wrote: »
    Before I set out for work this morning at 7 o clock I had just spent a half a hour Listening to Breakfast on Newstalk with Margret Ward reviewing the headlines from from newspapers around Europe suggesting that Ireland is now within 24 hours of an EU bailout.

I haven't had the chance to get near a radio since, until about 10 minutes ago, so tuinig into RTE radio's flagship current affairs programme I'm glad to see that things aren't so bad after all.

Things can't be that bad if the subjects being covered are tyranasauras shít, the state of toilets and the quality of turnips in allotments.

And there I was thinking the Euro was hitting crisis point. Silly me.

(At least we all know the name of the north Dublin village is The Naul now and not simply Naul.
    So we can all sleep easy tonight.)

Blah blah blah the euro blah blah and now I find that all lapin wants to talk about is the pat kenny radio show. What are you doing in the radio forum, the country is in a crisis, shouldn't you be in the politics forum?????

tbh wrote: »
    Blah blah blah the euro blah blah and now I find that all lapin wants to talk about is the pat kenny radio show. What are you doing in the radio forum, the country is in a crisis, shouldn't you be in the politics forum?????

So, whats your problem ?

I discuss the content of radio programmes in the radio forum. (Just as I did in my post that you refer to.)

I occasionally contribute to the politics forum, (even if it is predominantly populated by people who don't seem to know their arsé from their elbow.)

And if there was a forum dedicated to dinosaur sized manure droppings in allotments in (The) Naul, I would probably discuss that topic there.

Evidently, its a popular subject.

• Advertisement

So, whats your problem ?

I discuss the content of radio programmes in the radio forum. (Just as I did in my post that you refer to.)

I occasionally contribute to the politics forum, (even if it is predominantly populated by people who don't seem to know their arsé from their elbow.)

And if there was a forum dedicated to dinosaur sized manure droppings in allotments in (The) Naul, I would probably discuss that topic there.

Evidently, its a popular subject.

I don't have a problem lapin. I'm just pointing out that not every issue on the pat kenny show needs to be about the euro, just like not every one of your posts on boards needs to be about the euro.

There's a load of recently joined heads in the radio forum lately whose sole agenda seem to be slamming the government and wondering why people on RTE in particular seem to be running away from the issues.
    It's simple. If RTE covered the recession as much as those posters wanted them to, nobody would listen, not even those posters, because it'd be too depressing.

Life goes on, you know? There are other issues other than the economy, and there are other forums on boards if you want to discuss those issues. Not talking about you now Lapin, and not saying that people shouldn't be allowed to make those points as much as they want, but I miss the days when we used to talk about Mornington Crescent, thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

humberklog wrote: »
    I liked the segment. Think Pat's gearing up the nation for a few years of collective farming.

Ideal way of utilising his newly acquired patch of squatter land. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

I don't have a problem lapin. I'm just pointing out that not every issue on the pat kenny show needs to be about the euro, just like not every one of your posts on boards needs to be about the euro.

There's a load of recently joined heads in the radio forum lately whose sole agenda seem to be slamming the government and wondering why people on RTE in particular seem to be running away from the issues.
    It's simple. If RTE covered the recession as much as those posters wanted them to, nobody would listen, not even those posters, because it'd be too depressing.

Life goes on, you know? There are other issues other than the economy, and there are other forums on boards if you want to discuss those issues. Not talking about you now Lapin, and not saying that people shouldn't be allowed to make those points as much as they want, but I miss the days when we used to talk about Mornington Crescent, thats all.

There has been a very deliberate dumbing down of Today Pat Kenny in recent weeks. If Pat's move from The Late Late Show to the Frontline has show us anything, it is, he should stick to what he is good at - currrent affairs. And it is this posters are complaining about and I think they are right.

Rubik. wrote: »
    There has been a very deliberate dumbing down of Today Pat Kenny in recent weeks. If Pat's move from The Late Late Show to the Frontline has show us anything, it is, he should stick to what he is good at - currrent affairs. And it is this posters are complaining about and I think they are right.

I take the point, but a lot of people on this forum say the same thing every day - both PK and Liveline should be wall-to-wall recession news, end to end, every show. It's a valid pov, but it's not one I agree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Why didnt they just get Ella to do this stuff.. I like her, and she can give you all the facts without the amateur dramatics.. And she knows her stuff as well, cos she has a genuine interest...

And I kind of think she's cute as well.. :o
    15544_192301755492_44628560492_3552445_7259693_n.jpg?1288828086

I'm not so sure about Ella. Moncrieff had her on to review the days news stories yesterday and she didn't have a lot to say for herself. One of the rare times I heard Moncrieff struggling with an interviewee
    I take the point, but a lot of people on this forum say the same thing every day - both PK and Liveline should be wall-to-wall recession news, end to end, every show. It's a valid pov, but it's not one I agree with.

Its not just about wall-to-wall recession coverage, or the lack of it. Its the other items they are choosing to fill out the rest of the show with, at present. It is like a perpetual silly season.

In fairness, it has been dumbed down to an awful degree the past few months.

In my eyes, his radio show is the flagship current affairs programme on RTE. People are very concerned and tune in to hear the latest on these issues by people who are qualified in these fields. His show on Friday was excellent as it was both informative and strangely successful in portraying the issues in a light hearted fashion. I actually learnt something from Friday's show.

Mooney has the spuds market covered, thats the kind of thing he does, and does rather well, although its not to my taste, good luck to him.

It is a current affairs show. Its no good that 20 minutes are now devoted to current affairs and the rest dedicated to someone hawking their book for a similar amount of time.

For the money Pat is on, he is obliged to use his talents to best use as I think he is excellent at what he does best and that is current affairs.

In fact, it is a tragic waste of his talents.

I take the point, but a lot of people on this forum say the same thing every day - both PK and Liveline should be wall-to-wall recession news, end to end, every show.

Pat Kenny Show description:
    Rock solid, right in the middle of the morning, Today With Pat Kenny assesses the main news stories of the day and goes behind the headlines to bring you the very latest.

Mary Louise O'Donnell coming down from her ivory tower to "learn menial tasks from the peasants" is not main news..

My problem is that it's meant to be current and topical, most of the stories could be played at any time of year and nobody would notice.. There ARE other stories in the news, but Pat just seems to give a half hour to the banking/economic situation and then completely abandons current issues..

Rubik. wrote: »
    I'm not so sure about Ella. Moncrieff had her on to review the days news stories yesterday and she didn't have a lot to say for herself. One of the rare times I heard Moncrieff struggling with an interviewee

Well I meant specifically about the farming stuff.. I have never heard her being asked to comment on anything other than agri-related stuff with Kenny tbh.. The last time I heard her on, she was on after Tina Leonard, so maybe that made her sound a bit more competent that she actually was.. :)

I agree, and a quick glance through my previous posts will reveal that I have never discussed the Euro on this forum.

The main thrust of my comments in relation to Today with Pat Kenny revolve around the fact that it is no longer the current affairs programme it claims to be.

I don't think its too much to expect a news programme to cover the important issues of the day. And while it maybe boring - The Euro, and probable bailout of our economy is a matter of importance in my opinion. Of course it would be boring if we were subjected to wall to wall economic debates (although PK did prove that they can also be quite engaging on Friday mornings show.)

There are , as you say yourself, "other issues other than the economy", and yet even these take a back seat to items about spuds and turnips.
    I don't have a problem with an element of light entertainment on the programme and I enjoy the casual approach taken in the review of the week every Friday.

I just lament the fact that those of us who used to enjoy some serious analysis and an insight into the days headlines in this mid morning slot no longer get that from a broadcaster who is well capable of delivering it.

Its not as if there is much choice elsewhere between 10 and midday.

Not necessarily "recession news". Just news.

Liveline is a completely different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Point well made. The same few posters posting the same inane drivel, day in day out. It's not only the radio forum that suffers, they spill over their vacuous ramblings in to the TV forum also.

The funny thing is that despite all their complaining they still tune in every day.

• Advertisement

funny enough, I was listening to a CD today and was really enjoying it. Then I was in a quandary as to whether to listen to PK at ten or carry on listening to the CD. I switched to PK. At 11:30, there was a bit of classical music, I glanced at the time and thought "I'll stick the CD back on, PK is crap from here on outOHMYGOD LAPIN WAS RIGHT! LAPIN WAS RIGHT!!!!!!"

so, sorry lapin :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

funny enough, I was listening to a CD today and was really enjoying it. Then I was in a quandary as to whether to listen to PK at ten or carry on listening to the CD. I switched to PK. At 11:30, there was a bit of classical music, I glanced at the time and thought "I'll stick the CD back on, PK is crap from here on outOHMYGOD LAPIN WAS RIGHT! LAPIN WAS RIGHT!!!!!!"

At least you missed Ditch watch

OHMYGOD LAPIN WAS RIGHT! LAPIN WAS RIGHT!!!!!!"

So was I... :mad:

Me and Lapin are like David McWilliams and Morgan Kelly... (he can be McWilliams)

Missed the show today btw ways.. How did Mary Louise O'Donnell get on with with her section on "Being shown how to make tea by a person far less intelligent than I am"..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

well the IMF are now in so were getting some good meaty stuff on pat this morning.

covering what may be the price for the billions they have on offer

:)

Noel Whelan is on now.

He always comes across as someone who actually knows what he's talking about.
    He speaks with the confident authority of someone who is on top of their brief.

Unlike many interviewees on radio who splutter their way through a discussion in the hope of delivering a memorable soundbite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Noel Whelan is on now.

Unlike many interviewees on radio who splutter their way through a discussion in the hope of delivering a memorable soundbite.

Is that Noel 'i'm really not an FFer boys and girls' Whelan that you are actually praising?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Was I dreaming or did I hear this right.

Brenno(I have all the answers) Keenan was asked by Kenny straight out.

"What would be your approach if confronted by this scenario"

Bottled it...... absolutely bottled it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Noel Whelan is on now.

Some of us can seperate the soundbite from the b*s.

Noel "I'm not a FF Hack, but" Whelan is a former (and failed) FF candidate who thinks that because FF can't push through much needed reform (although they squandered the best opportunity in our nations history to do so) that nobody else can.

whelanryan1.jpg

• Advertisement

Wow, 35mins spent on current affairs by Pat on his current affairs programme. Well done Pat.

Now tell me more about these phone call issues in Africa and Asia...

iStock_000002195402XSmall.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement