Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Discussing the Gerry Ryan paper artical now.. (finally)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Snort cocaine off whos boobs? Damn I missed the name! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

cocaine use and megalomania.

eh bit close to the bone there then !

:)

EDIT.

can someone tell me what civic society is?

i KNOW what the words mean but i cant help thinking theyre not talking about the majority of the public when they reference it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Did I hear the former detective say that some members of the GS are using cocaine?

missed that but i know lads in the gards that fly to amsterdam every year and its not for the windmills.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Poly wrote: »
    Did I hear the former detective say that some members of the GS are using cocaine?

All of these retired guards make me sick.. Coming on as if they as gurus... And what a contradictory thing for that clown to say...

First of all he says, "there are no ex-guards covering up the cocaine habits of high profile media people" and then questions the absurdity of such a thing " what would that say about the police force Pat, shure that couldnt be the way" (paraphrased).....

He then goes on to contradict himself by saying "Pat, I sure there ARE guards that take cocaine, same as solicitors, presenters etc etc"... :confused::confused:

does seem a bit mental.

if gardai ARE taking cocaine , it stands to reason those are the lads and lassies most likely to sort out things for the high profile politicians and celebs.

I've a feeling this is going to get very very messy.

Poly wrote: »
    I've a feeling this is going to get very very messy.

Could be very interesting Poly... Remember what came out after Ben Dunne's escapades in Florida... the domino effect could be similar... particularly now that we have one disgruntled whistle blower Gareth O'Callaghan...

O'Callaghan to blow whistle on rampant coke use in RTE
    FORMER RTE presenter and friend of Gerry Ryan, Gareth O'Callaghan, has lifted the lid on the rampant use of cocaine within RTE. In an explosive interview with the Sunday Independent he has claimed the scourge of cocaine has infected every level of RTE -- including management -- and says Mr Ryan once offered him coke in the RTE staff canteen, telling him: "Don't knock it till you try it".

In his most revealing interview yet, the insider has also claimed:
    * Four more high-profile stars are using cocaine.
    * It's rampant in the media business.
    * He is going to name Mr Ryan's dealer to gardai.
    * He's been threatened with sinister calls since going public.

The shocking allegations come as pressure mounts on the national broadcaster for failing to do enough to cover the cocaine addiction and death of its biggest star.

Could be very interesting Poly... Remember what came out after Ben Dunne's escapades in Florida... the domino effect could be similar... particularly now that we have one disgruntled whistle blower Gareth O'Callaghan...

O'Callaghan to blow whistle on rampant coke use in RTE

and if there were a Garda or two who were silenced or bullied into keeping quiet.

Fachna Murphy might have a very busy last week.
    This could be the best xmas entertaiment RTE have ever scheduled!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

mike65 wrote: »
    Snort cocaine off whos boobs? Damn I missed the name! :p

Antonia Leslie. Socialite daughter of the man that owns castle Leslie in Monaghan. Pretty honest piece.

Some amount of propaganda on Pat's show this morning...gardaí corrupt? No way, couldn't happen in our fine little country. McBreaty case anyone? No-one is going to give someone else an order to back off...it's more insipid and inferred than that; threat to career/promotion, threat of redeployment to some backwater.
    Look at our political system...if that's corrupt then what's so surprising about corruption in the police? This is a small country (half of our entire problem), important people know important people, favours are done and people look the other way. It's always been this way.

As for the doctor's piece (the same doc RTÉ roll out for anything anti drug-related) I think he comes at it from a pre-biased agenda. God didn't intend western society to take cocaine lol.
    The whole interview sounded pre-scripted: Pat with list of specific questions almost cued up.
    Good to see the issue being discussed at last and not surprising that Kenny at least would go at it from this angle.
    Feathers seem very ruffled after the sindo's onslaught yesterday...I wonder will RTÉ follow up on Ms Leslie's allegations about heads of print media?

i didnt get to read the sindo so thanks for the link.

gotta say fair play to garreth !

whistleblowers get NO succor in this country so i fully expect this to lead to his dismissal from RTE as soon as management think they can get away with it.

there was a fairly decent peice on morning ireland (near the end circa 9 am) where in some fairly tough questions were chucked at management thats worth listening if ya can stream it. there were a hell of alot of caveats in there that would seem to rely more on "written reports" than the open secret of a donnybrook snowstorm.

i think ya could be right.

we might be just seeing the tip of this iceberg.

meanwhile pat is now talking about lights. i shyte you not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

whistleblowers get NO succor in this country so i fully expect this to lead to his dismissal from RTE as soon as management think they can get away with it.

He's gone from RTÉ a number of years now, although I heard a quote this morning from somebody (can't remember) suggesting that he will never work there again.

I doubt he will lose much sleep over that. I agree when you say "fair play" to him but I can't help asking myself what kept him? If he was aware that cocaine usage was present in RTÉ, why did he wait for the death of one of its presenters to blow the whistle? If the issue is as serious as he claims it to be, why didn't he say so before now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

O'Callaghan is with 4fm these days, he does the breakfast show. Been gone from RTE quite awhile now.

show's how often i listened to his show when he WAS there then !

neatly answers why he is coming forward though if he's got another gig. no one at RTE will come forward if their job is on the line and the fact is we have a culture of attacking the whistleblower, not the crime.

simple as that.

its looking like theres gonna be an uncomfortable couple of weeks ahead of RTEs employees and stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

its looking like theres gonna be an uncomfortable couple of weeks ahead of RTEs employees and stars.

Sure most of them will be f*cking off for a fortnight or more and I'll bet by that stage there'll be something else occupying the public interest.
    This couldn't have fallen for them at a better time...see flutter's "Oiling up the tapeplayers..." thread for more detail.

christ i forgot all about that.

last year near finished me off as everyone , from all the stations , fecked off at the same time.

dont think i can handle "Repeat special" again. its like audio groundhog day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,117 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

They can discuss the Gerry Ryan cocaine issue, sensitive as it is, but not once has any RTE programme given any time to RTE wages.

It's amazing how all G.Ryans "friends" have gone to ground, When Harry Crosbie was launcing the new point depot, the gobsh1te was all over RTE.

Now the silence is deafening. I remember him telling Miriam or Marzie that Ryan more or less lived in his house.

So to address the cocaine issue Today with Pat Kenny sent Paddy O'Groman and his dog out to talk to some typical users.

What we got was a number of stereotypical interviews with incomprehensible junkies in the Marlbrough Street area of Dublin.

Paddy's reason for not addressing the usage among the middle classes was that they are hard to find.
    Funny how the Sunday Independent and The Sun seem to have no problem here.

Pat opined that many of the middle class users would know Paddy and therefore would be unwilling to open up.
    Perhaps then Paddy is the wrong man to be sending out on this issue.

I challenge RTÉ engage an undercover reporter from outside the organisation to investigate the issue.
    The public who fund the broadcaster through their licence fee tax have a right to this.

You can be damn sure if this issue related to any other organisation, RTÉ would have their Prime Time investigators on the case.
    And rightly so.

• Advertisement

*chuckle*

could you imagine a hidden camera at the RTE christmas party. all you'd need is someone permently stationed in the jax as an attendent.

in fairness to RTE though i think you could say the same of most media outlets do's.

hell most professional's do's too.

EDIT.

Someone called jennifer just text in saying what youve posted about it being a middleclass thing, not the junkies they interviewed. have to credit pat for reading that out.

I see the Pat Kenny Show 2nd hour is straight back in to form for the new year... boring boring segment about Yemen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

I see the Pat Kenny Show 2nd hour is straight back in to form for the new year... boring boring segment about Yemen.

fell asleep and it was over :pac:

some self indulgent hack who only lives there so he can lay his paws on cheap khat

I sincerely hope RTE wont be reimbursing him for that segment....

I'm not sure about this accounts lad.. He says that everybody should have four accounts.. With the recent increases in bank charges, does that not mean that the account costs themselves, AND the transaction costs will be HUGE? Somebody give Tina a ring to confirm this..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Gawd, if he says "going forward" one more time...:mad:

That lad at the end got burned there at the end by Myles reading out one sole text that he was living in "fantasy land".

I thought it left the whole segment on a very unbalanced note but by god, did i laugh! yer man must have been furious with Dungan! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

I'm not sure about this accounts lad.. He says that everybody should have four accounts.. With the recent increases in bank charges, does that not mean that the account costs themselves, AND the transaction costs will be HUGE? Somebody give Tina a ring to confirm this..

'Im glad you asked that, yes, bank accounts what with all the bailouts, speaking of bailouts that reminds me of parachute jumps and I know that lots of people may have gotten gift vouchers for parachute jumps this Christmas and might want to know their consumer rights so I'll cover gift vouchers in a future segment Pat'

pauses for breath....

It would appear that ministers are stepping down at such a rate now that such news stories are no longer deemed interesting on RTÉ Radio's flagship current affairs programme.

Lapin wrote: »
    It would appear that ministers are stepping down at such a rate now that such news stories are no longer deemed interesting on RTÉ Radio's flagship current affairs programme.

They managed to find time to attack James Reilly though :rolleyes:

(some of it justifiably tbf)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Barname wrote: »
    'Im glad you asked that, yes, bank accounts what with all the bailouts, speaking of bailouts that reminds me of parachute jumps and I know that lots of people may have gotten gift vouchers for parachute jumps this Christmas and might want to know their consumer rights so I'll cover gift vouchers in a future segment Pat'

pauses for breath....

Is this the same fictional NCA-funded Tina that you were so worked up about in the other thread? It's as easy to put fake words in her mouth as it is to put fake employers in her resume. Well done with that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement